Gold Coast entry into AFL in 2011 is great news for Saints!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Depressed
Club Player

Gold Coast entry into AFL in 2011 is great news for Saints!!

This is going to cause a big uproar I'm sure, but it is only my opinion.

By then Riewoldt will be 28 and St kilda will not be a serious contender. If the Gold Coast were willing to give 2 top 10 picks, eg. picks 3 and 9, we should take it.

Thoughts?

kaos theory
Club Player

your screen name is well chosen.

Firstly:

- How do you know we will not be contending for a flag in two years? Where is that written into law?

Secondly:

- What guarantee is there that top ten draft picks will turn into superstars? There are many top 10 picks that have turned out to be average players, or constantly struck down with injuries & never develop into anything special.

Thirdly:

- Even if we do something this stupid, and even if the picks turn out to be very good players, it would take at least 4 to 5 years before they reach their full potential & the club gets the benefit.

Finally:

- Where is it written in law that Roo needs to go to the gold coast? Too many supporters think we are always doomed to lose our good players to bigger/richer clubs. Back in 2003 many thought we would lose at least two of Dal, Roo, Kosi, Ball, etc, because the powerful clubs would offer them big contracts and they would go.....none of that happend.

doggerel
Club Player

I think Nick is out of contract at the end of 2010. From what I understand GC17 get some sort of free shot at 1 x uncontracted player from each club. So potentially we could lose him without receiving anything in return? Is that right? One would hope we could sign him to a deal this year if that is the case. Then if the OP is correct and we are faced with a rebuilding phase at least it might give us some options.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Thoughts?

We don't need the picks.

We have a great-looking bunch of kids. When I look at my St Kilda team poster from last weekend's Herald-Sun and see McEvoy, Heyne, Lynch, Ray, Dawson, Gilbert, Connors, Stanley, Tungatalum... it gladdens my heart. Hell, even Goddard will only be 26.

Oh the arrogance of GC... talking about poaching Gary Ablett like they think they have a chance, from Geelong, the team that collectively accepted lower salaries to keep a strong group together. Not a snowflake's chance in Hell.

Would love to see Roo play till he's 34 a la Richo. I place my trust in Greg Westaway's determination to keep him a Saint for life.

We talk about winning cultures. I can imagine the Saints challenging for top 4 for years to come. Not saying it will happen. But I can imagine it.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

doggerel wrote:I think Nick is out of contract at the end of 2010. From what I understand GC17 get some sort of free shot at 1 x uncontracted player from each club. So potentially we could lose him without receiving anything in return? Is that right? One would hope we could sign him to a deal this year if that is the case. Then if the OP is correct and we are faced with a rebuilding phase at least it might give us some options.
Not if a new contract is signed before the old one lapses. I can't see GC just being able to poach whoever they like. I'd expect the AFLPA would have something to say about that just for starters.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Don't underestimate the AFL's wish to see the GC be a success in a short period of time. The GC will be able to offer Roo half of Broadbeach & the AFL will turn a blind eye to it. Compensation for St.Kilda??? hahaha Remember when we lost Gilbert McAdam to Brisbane & the AFL adjudged him to be worth a 5th round draft pick.

The only way to retain Nick is to get him to re-commit either this year or early next year.

Leaving it until the end of 2010 will be fraught with danger.

older saint
SS Life Member

doggerel wrote:I think Nick is out of contract at the end of 2010. From what I understand GC17 get some sort of free shot at 1 x uncontracted player from each club. So potentially we could lose him without receiving anything in return? Is that right? One would hope we could sign him to a deal this year if that is the case. Then if the OP is correct and we are faced with a rebuilding phase at least it might give us some options.
Gc17 can get up to one uncontracted player from each AFL club. If the player is uncontracted there is no trading required. I think it is safe to say that if Roo , or any other player does not re sign before the end of the final season of their contrat that they are gone to GC17

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gold Coast entry into AFL in 2011 is great news for Sain

Depressed wrote:This is going to cause a big uproar I'm sure, but it is only my opinion.

By then Riewoldt will be 28 and St kilda will not be a serious contender. If the Gold Coast were willing to give 2 top 10 picks, eg. picks 3 and 9, we should take it.

Thoughts?
you're off your nana if you reckon that Riewoldt will be a spent force at 28. Would keep him at all costs.

PJ
SS Life Member

Roo will be still be great value close to goal when gets towards 30 - he's here for the long haul, don't wet your pants worrying about it.

It's more likely they'll try and snipe Gilbo or Armo.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

It is important to remember that even though the GC would get first dibs at Roo... he can say no...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

A good comment was posted at the bottom of the HUN article:
when Freo entered the Comp they also were spouting about how they were targeting - Modra , Loewe , Harvey , Lockett , Ablett Snr , Jakovich , Matera ..... in the end they got Peter Mann , Ben Allen & Stephen O'riley...
That's about the size of it I reckon.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
We don't need the picks.
You're delusional... We ALWAYS need picks... and the earlier the better!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Don't know if rookies come under the uncontracted player list but if they do maybe that is why we are holding onto Brad "GC" Howard for one more year :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
stairwaytoheaven
Club Player

Why would he go back there he has everything here and his parents are buying or have bought a house in Melbourne to be closer to him

ctqs
Club Player

Re: Gold Coast entry into AFL in 2011 is great news for Sain

Depressed wrote:This is going to cause a big uproar I'm sure, but it is only my opinion.

Thoughts?
Troll alert. Go forth and multiply, clown.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
villasaint
Club Player

Roo, Gilbert and Armitage are important players who we have invested a lot of time into. We cant afford to loose them. Hated when the Gold Coast spokesperson used Roo as an example of what the gold coast can produce. They will chase him hard. We need him to be a one man team (lol thansks buddy)

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
We don't need the picks.
You're delusional... We ALWAYS need picks... and the earlier the better!
At the cost of the best CHF in the comp?

And you're calling me delusional???

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor