Riewoldt to CHB

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintwill66
Club Player

Riewoldt to CHB

I know that our venerated skipper came into the game against the Swans lacking match fitness and so I certainly don't condemn him for his feeble contribution on Saturday night. What does concern me though, and this is an aspect of his game that has plagued him for all of his career, is that he continues to get the "yips" when taking a set shot for goal. A player of his experience, his stature, his indisputable talent, should have conquered his demons in front of goals by now.

What I can't understand is why Ross Lyon continues to persevere with Riewoldt as the key forward. What's the point of kicking the ball to Riewoldt when he can't convert???? It is obvious that his problem is all in the head, and he has yet to prove that he can fix that in the short term.

It's time for the Saints to redeploy Riewoldt and set him up at CHB - he will mark anything and everything that comes his way and match up favourably against the best of the opposition forwards.

Who to line up at CHF?? There are a number of options but you only really need one tall marking forward (Kosi) so bring Sam Fisher forward - he's got great hands, uses his body well in contests and kicks accurately and with assurance. If you want another tall then rotate Michael Gardiner and/or Steven King up forward. The point is, lining Riewoldt up at CHB will do wonders for his overall confidence because it will allow him to dominate the game.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'd leave Roo at CHF. I remember last year he really struggled with his knee in the Brisbane game up there. After that (I think starting the very next week) he started playing really good footy right through to the end of the season. Let's hope that history repeats itself !!

Depressed
Club Player

Re: Riewoldt to CHB

saintwill66 wrote:I know that our venerated skipper came into the game against the Swans lacking match fitness and so I certainly don't condemn him for his feeble contribution on Saturday night. What does concern me though, and this is an aspect of his game that has plagued him for all of his career, is that he continues to get the "yips" when taking a set shot for goal. A player of his experience, his stature, his indisputable talent, should have conquered his demons in front of goals by now.

What I can't understand is why Ross Lyon continues to persevere with Riewoldt as the key forward. What's the point of kicking the ball to Riewoldt when he can't convert???? It is obvious that his problem is all in the head, and he has yet to prove that he can fix that in the short term.

It's time for the Saints to redeploy Riewoldt and set him up at CHB - he will mark anything and everything that comes his way and match up favourably against the best of the opposition forwards.

Who to line up at CHF?? There are a number of options but you only really need one tall marking forward (Kosi) so bring Sam Fisher forward - he's got great hands, uses his body well in contests and kicks accurately and with assurance. If you want another tall then rotate Michael Gardiner and/or Steven King up forward. The point is, lining Riewoldt up at CHB will do wonders for his overall confidence because it will allow him to dominate the game.
Agree 100%, but unfortunately Lyon is too stupid to realize this. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

A reasonable suggestion.

Was thinking the same thing watching on Saturday night... either on the wing or back for a while ...should at least be considered and will provide the badly extra needed run from half back/centre.

Think his great strength is his mobility and playing as a key forward isn't the ideal spot to utilise this key strength

Riewoldt back or centre/Dal,Kosi and Goddard forward...I would like to see it as an option for sure.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Quixote
SS Life Member

While we're at it let's give X a shot in the ruck. It will help him get over his injuries. Actually if we are moving our number one goal kicker to the backline, perhaps our number two Milne can go with him. Back pocket?

Sounds sweet. Then just bring in Cahill to FF and we'll beat-box our way to the flag.

(Saved you the time p66)

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I just don't see the sense in having Roo play anywhere else but CHF.

I mean, what an unbelievable waste of talent that would be having one of the top 2-3 forwards in the competition follow someone around.

Does anyone actually know for sure that he has the ability to defend?

Watching On the Couch just now I still can't believe James Hird had Riewoldt at number 7 or 8 in his top 10 and Sheahan had Fevola in front of him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:I just don't see the sense in having Roo play anywhere else but CHF.

Roo at FF

Kosi at CHF...

But both roaming...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

No way. We need to strengthen the forward line, not decimate it. He was out of sorts on Saturday and shanked his only real shot at goal, but I expect that to be the exception rather than the rule this season.

I'd expect roo to kick up to 70, maybe more if he plays deep more often.

Goals are the name of the game and moving roo would mean fewer, not more.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 31 Mar 2009 12:31am, edited 2 times in total.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

I wouldn't play Roo at CHB, his defensive efforts are lacking and he is poor when it hits the deck.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
OLB wrote:I just don't see the sense in having Roo play anywhere else but CHF.

Roo at FF

Kosi at CHF...

But both roaming...
Ideal.

If Kosi gets back to somewhere near his best form it will make our forward line twice as potent. Kosi is the key to our year.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Boy are people quick to judge.

How about letting Roo get over his arthroscopy and regain his form?

I mean seriously... was anyone talking along these lines in last year's games against Nth Melb... against Freo... against Adelaide? Where Nick was in the ideal position to be a matchwinner and display leadership?

Can't convert my ar*e. Who was no. 7 on the Coleman list right behind Pavlich last year?

For God's sake.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Boy are people quick to judge.

I mean seriously... was anyone talking along these lines in last year's games against Nth Melb... against Freo... against Adelaide? Where Nick was in the ideal position to be a matchwinner and display leadership?

Can't convert my ar*e. Who was no. 7 on the Coleman list right behind Pavlich last year?

For God's sake.
Yep, there is no doubt that if Roo had a good game on Saturday night this topic wouldn't have been brought up.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

no.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

no.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

no.

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

Roo could be our best ever if he can deliver a premiership.

A great CHF ... enjoy watching him

Jimmy1972
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Boy are people quick to judge.

For God's sake.
Agree. Patience is a virtue. How can anyone judge against no pre season and the fact that we won. And the fact that Ross Lyon out coached the man that invented shut down footy, We deserve this win, we fought harder than they did but did it in an organized way that basically throttled there game and paved the way for us to win through a contribution across the park. Wait till Roo is onfire and Kosi is being just as annoying as Gehrig and kicking 3 goals a game. The tables do turn.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Thread Locked

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i was thinking bakes is better off at centre half back :idea:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt to CHB

Depressed wrote:
saintwill66 wrote:I know that our venerated skipper came into the game against the Swans lacking match fitness and so I certainly don't condemn him for his feeble contribution on Saturday night. What does concern me though, and this is an aspect of his game that has plagued him for all of his career, is that he continues to get the "yips" when taking a set shot for goal. A player of his experience, his stature, his indisputable talent, should have conquered his demons in front of goals by now.

Agree 100%, but unfortunately Lyon is too stupid to realize this. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Looks like the last 2 coaches have been to stupid to realise. Just one question for both of you. Why would you move our best player over the last 7 years to a position he hasnt played and then hoping he will be as good to the side. Sorry got another question. Who will replace him and kick the 60 goals he always seems to kick.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yips in front of goal? Well in that case you better move Buddy and Richo inrto defence as well..cos Ive seen them get the yips just as badly as anything Roo has produced.

Oh and while I'm at it..the word feeble doesnt sit well with me when discussing Roo..sure he might have had a quiet night but "feeble output"..I dunno..just doesnt sound right with him.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
dalboy
Club Player

Definately the stupidest post i've read today....nuff said!

Happiness is a warm pie!
onlooker
Club Player

Roo is our best forward by a long long way and must play as the key forward. If our frorward line had a full complement of player types (I am waiting for two reincarnations of the former No2 ) we could give Roo a breather every now and again and move him, but, we haven't got them at the moment so I reckon he stays where he is.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Not the worst idea I've ever heard. I think he'd be great at CHB; mobile, quick, great mark, creative, good field kick. There's no CHF I can think of he couldn't take with a reasonable expectation of success.

Of course, we'd then need a CHF ... :wink:

(I've often wondered how Sam Fisher would go as a key forward)

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

This has is WITHOUT DOUBT my vote for the STUPIDEST post of the year.

- And unless someone seriously suggests moving Montagna to the ruck, I can't see it being beaten.

Well done!!

Look again it's the Flash!!