Selection disappointment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Selection disappointment

Got to write I am very disappointed with the selection for round 1. I am not stating that the panel have selected the wrong team - to be honest I would not have a clue.

My disappointment is that no new talent has been added to the team.
Yes Sugar Ray & Dawson’s creek come across both after achieving mediocrity at their previous clubs, but where is our youth?

I’d hoped a Steven, Heyne, Lynch, Armo, Smith, McEvoy or someone young and new would break through and demand selection. Sure I know there are injuries and new players take time, but really who is going to help us bridge the gap between the Hawks and Cats?
It isn’t Dawson & Ray.

I hate to ditch individuals but St Kilda will never be a premiership threat while A.McQualter and Jimmy Gwilt are in our best 18.

Gee I’d love to see some exciting exuberant youth step up at our club and breath some life into our starting 22!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Selection disappointment

Joffa Burns wrote:I hate to ditch individuals but St Kilda will never be a premiership threat while A.McQualter and Jimmy Gwilt are in our best 18.

Gee I’d love to see some exciting exuberant youth step up at our club and breath some life into our starting 22!
Agree entirely. However, I'm trying to look at it as though it's the "big chance" for Gwilt and McQualter to show themselves as AFL footballers.

Big game, round one, step up or you're done. Some blokes never get the chance. Both these guys have had plenty - but this season is really the last time.

And if they don't fire tomorrow, there is a batch of youngsters I think we'd all rather see coming through who will demand selection in 2009.

That might be a touch optimistic, because I do agree with you, but if they don't perform, I'd be looking at giving their spots to hungry kids ASAP.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If you insist on starting a new thread on this, I will reply along the same lines as I did on the other one.

On early season form, McQualter is definitely one of our best 22. On last season's form, Gwilt is definitely in our top 27 or so (and we have 4 or 5 out injured).

But, in general, you are right. Leaving aside Clinton Jones (who is almost as old as Riewoldt), we certainly haven't seen a great deal from our young players recruited in recent years. Armo has disappointed so far, Allen and Connor have been injured most of the time, Steven is still very young but might come on this year, McEvoy looks a long way off (which might be what we should expect, or might not: I'm not really sure), Eddy doesn't excite me as much as he seems to excite Ross, etc.

I think it's asking a lot to expect Lynch, Heyne, Smith and co. to step up right away. If any of them do anything this season, it will be a bonus.

I think Armo and Steven remain our best hopes for this year. Let's see how the season unfolds.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Kids should be played when they've earned the chance. So far, they are yet to have an opportunity to shine in a real game. When they do I expect them to be picked.

Incumbent players should be deposed by better performers, not potential performers.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I agree it would be good to get youngsters into the side but no one obviously demanded selection. The only two really availble to select was Heyne and Lynch as Steven was ill I beleive. Those 2 just must not have done enough to get in this week but a couple of good reserves games and who knows. One thing I will not go along with though being the reason we didnt pick youngsters is because Sydney are a hard bodied side. Well i reckon Geelong might be to and the Hawks picked 3 new guys.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

everyone says to be patient with ruckmen...they take years to develop.......two teenage unheralded ruckmen made their debut last night...they didn't suck either......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:If you insist on starting a new thread on this, I will reply along the same lines as I did on the other one.

On early season form, McQualter is definitely one of our best 22. On last season's form, Gwilt is definitely in our top 27 or so (and we have 4 or 5 out injured).

But, in general, you are right. Leaving aside Clinton Jones (who is almost as old as Riewoldt), we certainly haven't seen a great deal from our young players recruited in recent years. Armo has disappointed so far, Allen and Connor have been injured most of the time, Steven is still very young but might come on this year, McEvoy looks a long way off (which might be what we should expect, or might not: I'm not really sure), Eddy doesn't excite me as much as he seems to excite Ross, etc.

I think it's asking a lot to expect Lynch, Heyne, Smith and co. to step up right away. If any of them do anything this season, it will be a bonus.

I think Armo and Steven remain our best hopes for this year. Let's see how the season unfolds.
Not a skerrick (is that a word?) of untruth in that post.

Agree that McQualter has had a good PS - perhaps his best ever (Have a look at his excellent Dream Team points - I know, I know, but you can't score badly and play too crap :wink: ). He's earned his chance, but make no mistake, he won't get many in 2009 if he fails to show form.

And if Jack Steven, Armitage and Eddy knock down the door, it could be that guys like Gwilt, McQuater and Jones have to make way.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BIggest disappointment for me in selection is that X. Clarke is yet again missing. Why? What's wrong with him now?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Mini and Gwilt are 22 heading into their fifth season in the system. It's hardly unheard of for a player in that situation to show a lot of improvement. In fact, you don't have to look very far. This time last year, most had written off Raph Clarke - a player in his fifth season. Now he's a widely accepted member of our best 22.

Mini was one of our better preseason performers. I'm disappointed that people aren't excited about the possibility of him carrying that form over into the regular season.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
spert
Saintsational Legend

We should be giving McEvoy game time sooner than later -that's my opinion

older saint
SS Life Member

YOuth is not a prerequisite for selection. Performance is and obviously the youth many ae talking about have not performed at a level to pass others - or alternatively it has been decided that based onthe game plan and opposition certain players are better fits for this game.

I like all long to see young players develop and become regular players and even stars but they have to make it happen and not receive a chance by default based on DOB

Saints94
SS Life Member

Agreed, Begley not getting a game, Armo has a twinge in his hammy i think but only one is Geary, but McEvoy is an emergency :evil: I thought he could have played forward for the night

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:We should be giving McEvoy game time sooner than later -that's my opinion
McEvoy in front of Gardiner and King?

My opinion is we aim to win, which is clearly not aligned to your thinking.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
spert wrote:We should be giving McEvoy game time sooner than later -that's my opinion

We can play McEvoy up forward you know he has a great pair of hands and can kick a goal or two :!: :wink:

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

McEvoy5 wrote:McEvoy is an emergency :evil: I thought he could have played forward for the night
Instead of who exactly? Kosi? Roo? You're dreamin' there son.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy5 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

We can play McEvoy up forward you know he has a great pair of hands and can kick a goal or two :!: :wink:
And drop who, Kosi or Roo???

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints94
SS Life Member

St DAC wrote:
McEvoy5 wrote:McEvoy is an emergency :evil: I thought he could have played forward for the night
Instead of who exactly? Kosi? Roo? You're dreamin' there son.
If Kozi can't fire or kick more then 2 goals then i would bring big mac in for round 2 just to back kozi up

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I hope we select sides on form, not on reputation or because they are young

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:everyone says to be patient with ruckmen...they take years to develop.......two teenage unheralded ruckmen made their debut last night...they didn't suck either......
because the rucked against each other????

simmonds had a dog of a night and cam cloke is useless...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Yup, let's get some untried kids and throw them to the wolves...

Get 'em smashed and ruin their careers like we did with Kosi and X.

Let them earn their spot FFS when they are ready.

If they are good enough, they'll get a shot.

I'd think that at 22... mini, Ray and even Dawson are still "kids"... as is Jimmy.

Talk about over reaction even before the first bounce... :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Foz
Club Player

Carlton took a punt and played 4 kids. Garland was the size of Ross T. When Carlton win its "great experience for the youngsters in front of a huge crowd" if they lose it may have been an issue. The punt came off (read into Richmond what you need to) I still think Carlton brains trust would have taken all what the kids offered them Thursday night.

Its interesting to follow trends in footy - the rolling zone, how to beat the Hawks. Saints and Blues are obviously divergent in what you do with young talent. I would have thought that our fringe mids could have had at least one kid swapping for them.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:Carlton took a punt and played 4 kids. Garland was the size of Ross T. When Carlton win its "great experience for the youngsters in front of a huge crowd" if they lose it may have been an issue. The punt came off (read into Richmond what you need to) I still think Carlton brains trust would have taken all what the kids offered them Thursday night.

Its interesting to follow trends in footy - the rolling zone, how to beat the Hawks. Saints and Blues are obviously divergent in what you do with young talent. I would have thought that our fringe mids could have had at least one kid swapping for them.
good post. they're up-and-comers while we are in some sort of a holding pattern.

look, i can see the rationale for playing it safe and conservative and i hope that it comes off.

if it doesn't, i can see a few spots opening up and selection pressure coming from the young guys, which can only be a healthy thing.

Loyal
Club Player

very happy that Suger Ray has been named.
i think we'll all see how truly good this guy is on saturday night.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

BS Carlton has been around the bottom of the ladder for 8 years now there recruiting has been absolutely appalling, no other club has such a bad record, they may be good this year, their kids maybe good but it's one game and we haven't even played one yet FFS wait a while before jumping to conclusions

steph
Club Player

st.byron wrote:BIggest disappointment for me in selection is that X. Clarke is yet again missing. Why? What's wrong with him now?
he isn't up to it is what's wrong with him. i assume he's injured (as always) but even if he's fit, cast your mind back to his performance in the qualifying final against the cats last year. absolutely doesn't deserve a spot. he's just one big disappointment.