SOS's list assessment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
bigcarl wrote:interesting to read sos's comments on rhys stanley. his youtube highlights were quite impressive.
It's a pity that McEvoy's championships aren't on youtube. He averaged 17 touches, 8 marks and 14 hitouts at the championships. Kreuzer averaged 14 disposals, 3 marks and 15 hitouts. Stanley averaged 5 touches, 3 marks and 12 hitouts. It's not even close. McEvoy is a gun ruck prospect. Stanley is a project player. McEvoy is part of the next generation of gun rucks along with Cordy, Kreuzer, Leuenberger, Naitanui and Vickery. In a few years time, we're going to be glad that we have one of those guys. He might lack the athleticism of Kreuzer or Nat, but his football skills are as good as you'll ever find in a big man.

We had no need to play him in 08. Playing first round picks in their first year blows out their salary in year 2. That's great if they're gun players straight away. As Mr Magic pointed out, few ruckmen are. McEvoy wasn't ready last year and probably won't be ready this year. Thanks to having King, Gardiner, Kosi and Blake, we can afford to wait. We just need to teach him to use his size better in the ruck. McEvoy is a natural footballer, the rest will come easy.
if what you say is true let's hope we don't waste the chance to get games into him. he'll become another barry brooks if he's forced to serve too long an apprenticeship.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

still have nightmares of his first game though...that ball bouncing of his forehead with his hands still not in the marking position......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Who was the last player who became a good/great ruckman in his first 2 seasons?
Simon Madden? Big Carl?

big carl was a good ruckman from his first game....where he was bog.....only 17 too.......

vacuous space
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:still have nightmares of his first game though...that ball bouncing of his forehead with his hands still not in the marking position......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6N-VEe5lWg

He definitely had his hands out. It just kind of slipped through. Not sure whether McPharlin pushing him had anything to do with it.

Then he hit the post. Not a great start. He is a ruckman though...

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:Stephen Silvagni
Genuine, honest and hard working.
Someone we enjoy the company of.
Very respectful and a top bloke.
A better Coach than Banger.
:lol:
Nicely put.....dunno if he'll always be a better coach than Banger - but he's got a few year's head start on Sir Robert to be fair!

But I'm hoping SOS will be at the Saints for several more years.....and best of luck to Harvs if he has a few years at the Blues.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
bigcarl wrote:interesting to read sos's comments on rhys stanley. his youtube highlights were quite impressive.
It's a pity that McEvoy's championships aren't on youtube. He averaged 17 touches, 8 marks and 14 hitouts at the championships. Kreuzer averaged 14 disposals, 3 marks and 15 hitouts. Stanley averaged 5 touches, 3 marks and 12 hitouts. It's not even close. McEvoy is a gun ruck prospect. Stanley is a project player. McEvoy is part of the next generation of gun rucks along with Cordy, Kreuzer, Leuenberger, Naitanui and Vickery. In a few years time, we're going to be glad that we have one of those guys. He might lack the athleticism of Kreuzer or Nat, but his football skills are as good as you'll ever find in a big man.

We had no need to play him in 08. Playing first round picks in their first year blows out their salary in year 2. That's great if they're gun players straight away. As Mr Magic pointed out, few ruckmen are. McEvoy wasn't ready last year and probably won't be ready this year. Thanks to having King, Gardiner, Kosi and Blake, we can afford to wait. We just need to teach him to use his size better in the ruck. McEvoy is a natural footballer, the rest will come easy.
totally agree

what I read into SOS's comments is that they expect their top 2 ruckman should have the fitness and form base to play most games this year. mcenvoy is next in line but most talls take a few years.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
stinger
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
stinger wrote:still have nightmares of his first game though...that ball bouncing of his forehead with his hands still not in the marking position......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6N-VEe5lWg

He definitely had his hands out. It just kind of slipped through. Not sure whether McPharlin pushing him had anything to do with it.

Then he hit the post. Not a great start. He is a ruckman though...
they were still a foot apart..... :oops:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:they were still a foot apart..... :oops:
They were too. Don't know what I was watching. I thought he had them together.

I think he jumped about a year too early as well.

Not his finest moment, but on the bright side, it can only get better from there.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Foz
Club Player

We might have to be patient with Macca - a few things to remember that have been stated - developing ruckman take time and this won't get much of an airing but being a country kid, he's a little set back.

Why ? He pretty much got through TAC on his ear but the Bushrangers don't even have a home ground and were lucky to train a few times a week. Its a big swing from that sort of football environment to AFL seniors.

Can he make it ? He was #1 for contested marks in the TAC comp. when he won B&F for Bushrangers. He seems to present okay and has some early toe on the lead. If I see Gardiner bumbling his way through the forward line on Sat. night it maybe something that we can think about in time...

Other thing is Macca was like a 95% student in Yr 12 - he's got all the leadership and integrity we need, he has the skills, if anything in the intraclub I would have liked to see a bit more grunt. Its early days, our history of injuries with ruckman is there and I'm sure he will get a chance. Seems like hes well in front of Stanley from SOS's comments.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I actually think Magic is right. I can't think of a ruckman in the past 20 years or so who as a kid made an instant impact. My examples of Madden and Carl were from a different era; I'm resigned to being considered an old fart these days!

McEvoy looks promising, but we need to be patient. Fortunately, with King, Gardner and Kosi we have the stocks to allow him the time he needs. Certainly, we're better off for rucks than a few years ago.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

St DAC wrote:I actually think Magic is right. I can't think of a ruckman in the past 20 years or so who as a kid made an instant impact. My examples of Madden and Carl were from a different era; I'm resigned to being considered an old fart these days!
Everitt had an outstanding first year. He was 18 at the start of the year.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
St DAC wrote:I actually think Magic is right. I can't think of a ruckman in the past 20 years or so who as a kid made an instant impact. My examples of Madden and Carl were from a different era; I'm resigned to being considered an old fart these days!
Everitt had an outstanding first year. He was 18 at the start of the year.
But was he playing as a ruckman or a forwad pocket with an occasional run on the ball?
My memory may be fading but I recall him being a super forward pocket before becoming a very good ruckman.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:But was he playing as a ruckman or a forwad pocket with an occasional run on the ball?
My memory may be fading but I recall him being a super forward pocket before becoming a very good ruckman.

I believe at one stage there was a bit of spat from everrit because he wanted to play ruck and away from the goals

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:But was he playing as a ruckman or a forward pocket with an occasional run on the ball?
That's how I remember his early years. But it was a while ago, and my memory may be faulty with my advancing years ... :wink:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Excellent round up by Son Of Serg. (I am probably one of the few on here that can remember Serg playing). When he discussed the rookies he seemed to place Choo Choo a long way in front of the others.
"Ross Tungatulum
He’s lightning quick and has very good skills. He is one that could one day be elevated to a senior list. He has some really good attributes and can crumb a football. He has to put a bit of weight on but has already put on three or four kilos since coming down."