Who is our next Captain?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Who is our next Captain?

I read an article this morning in one of the papers (and for the life of me, cant remember which one!), by Crawford, talking about how Hodge was the obvious choice to become captain of the Hawks in the next few years - How he is a natural leader, etc, etc.

He then made a list of who he expected would be the next captain of the remaining 15 clubs; For St.Kilda he chose Sam Fisher, which to me was an interesting one. Whether it is the fact that for the past 12months or so I have seen Goddard as the next captain choice, or just the assumption that Riewoldt will captain the club until he's 36... But it got me thinking...

I think that Sam Fisher would be a very good captain choice for the club - clearly a decent club man, and from all reports a great bloke on and off the field. And in 2008 (and years prior), he displayed the talents which he is capable of. The only catch is that he is actually 3 months older than Rooey. One would therefore expect it unlikely for him to step up at any point when Roo is around - however, this is definately open to debate!

I interested in who everyone else sees as Rooey's potential successor? How long will he be at the helm before he relenquishes the role?

Will it be one of our similar-aged players who have already shown a strong leadership ability, such as Sam Fisher, Goddard or Ball?

Or will it go to someone from the next generation of Saint, such as Armitage, Gilbert or Lynch?

Personally, i would like to see Goddard given a role in the near future - maybe not captain yet (as Roo is doing a fantastic job), but maybe as Vice Captain, because as much as we'd hate to admit it, Hayes is now our 4th oldest player behind Max, King and Gardy.

HarveysDeciple

Brendand Goddard is a captain all the way.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Goooodard without a doubt! passionate, is a leader, and a gun... everything points to him... :wink: And he will be an outstanding captain he is only getting better which is exciting

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

BJ Goddard, or Luke Ball - depending on fitness / form.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Roo will be with us for years to come and whilst retaining champion abilities and status on and off the field and respect from everyone at the Club and the AFL, should continue as Captain of the Club. Under his leadership with the support of great clubmen in Lenny, Sam Fisher, Bally, Steven King, Maxy, BJ, Kosi etc, we will ultimately secure the Holy Grail.

We are fortunate to have such an experienced and talented core group of leaders to encourage and influence the younger talent from where our future leaders will come, but not for some years yet.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
bethb7
Club Player

Sam Fisher gets my vote as our next captain, great player & leader.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bj......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Raven
Club Player

IMO Sam Fisher isn't that great at interviews, he speaks a bit too slowly and doesn't seem confident to me with what he's saying... which is fine, because not everyone does that kind of thing well.
But, it's a pretty important factor, the way you represent the club to the media if you're captain.

I think Goddard all the way, and possibly Armo in the distant future.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Raven wrote:IMO Sam Fisher isn't that great at interviews, he speaks a bit too slowly and doesn't seem confident to me with what he's saying... which is fine, because not everyone does that kind of thing well.
But, it's a pretty important factor, the way you represent the club to the media if you're captain.

I think Goddard all the way, and possibly Armo in the distant future.
goddard gives cliche answers and sounds like your typical manly-big-man captain

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

bethb7 wrote:Sam Fisher gets my vote as our next captain, great player & leader.
Not to mention 10 days older than our current captain.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Winmarvellous Jr. :lol:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:Winmarvellous Jr. :lol:
He's definitely a candidate, just not sure if he's in our best 22 :lol:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
rexy
SS Life Member

If Reiwoldt stays with the saints long term then it may be a case that Roo and BJ are to close in age for BJ to get a crack. If that is the case then whilst being happy to stick with one captain for a long time, it concerns me that I cant see a 20 year old with any leadership qualities? In fact I cant see a 20 year old with a regular game at the moment?

Armo hasnt even shown that he can cement a senior spot, McEvoy yet to prove he is even a player, How old is Eddy? Was he the only 20 year old in the regular side at the end of last season?

Heaps of deputies for today but what is the future.

We need a Marcus North and a Phil Hughes urgently.

Maybe this year?
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Godard no doubt... True leader

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saint1974
Club Player

BJ next captain he bleeds the red white and black.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Lenny Hayes.

Was perfect as captain in 2004 and should have remained captain if it weren't for GT's hairbrain scheme.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The person may not even be at the club yet.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Lenny Hayes.

Was perfect as captain in 2004 and should have remained captain if it weren't for GT's hairbrain scheme.
Strongly disagree, IMO we are spoilt for choice for captains... Look at Port Adelaide and Richmond, they both ended up with good captains but when you look at their list you don't see the same sort of leaders that you see when you red Luke Ball, Lenny Hayes, Nick Riewoldt and Brendon Goddard. Any of those four are worthy to be captain of the club and three of those players got their shot at captaincy thanks to that hair brained scheme.

It is important to remember if it wasn't for Harvey stepping down in favour of the rotational captain policy than Hayes probably wouldn't have been captain in '04.

IMO it served it's purpose greatly and I'm surprised it hasn't been adopted by more teams on the rebuild.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
TassieJones
Club Player

All depends on how long Riewoldt is captain for for.

If he copped an achilles (god forbid) tomorrow it'd be Lenny, mid term Ball (Fisher's the same age as Roo so it'd be kind of pointless Roo handing it over to him) and long term Goddard or someone not yet at the club.

Unfortunately at this stage I can't see Armo or Gilbert becoming quite good enough players to be captaincy material. I'm a believer that you have to be able to perform and set a high standard to be captain, and at this stage I can't see those two becoming quite good enough players.

manoffewwords
Club Player

BJ.

Say something once why say it again?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:Brendand Goddard is a captain all the way.
agree. BJ. clearly.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:three of those players got their shot at captaincy thanks to that hair brained scheme.

It is important to remember if it wasn't for Harvey stepping down in favour of the rotational captain policy than Hayes probably wouldn't have been captain in '04.

IMO it served it's purpose greatly and I'm surprised it hasn't been adopted by more teams on the rebuild.
In what way did the rotational captain policy actaully work?

I thought Lenny was a natural leader and demonstrated this in 2004. For me, it just didn't seem necessary to disrupt the leadership process by changing the captaincy after 2004.

And I'm pretty sure the other clubs didn't adopt the system because they cottonned onto the fact that it actually is a hair brained scheme.

A total GT gimmick. Say no more.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The next captain of the club is probably 13-15 years old at present. Riewoldt will captain the side until he retires, and a 20-21 year old will then be picked as captain imo.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Sam Fisher has always struck me as being shy.

If he is, then not really what you want in a skipper.

Sure, skippers also need to lead by example on the field with their actions, but IMO it is important that your leader be naturally vocal.