Miserly St Kilda copies Hawthorn coach Alistair Clarkson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Is the Age still one of our sponsers? If they are I think you'll find that has something to do with it.
That doesn't excuse or justify a lack of fair and balanced reporting. We have a right to it, even though it is rarely a reality.
No, but it goes some way to explaining it. Why give a competitor free indirect advertising? Individual journalists might try and live by a code, but the paper is waged in a war for profit - and wars make us paranoid and selfish. If a journo wants to rise in rank then a strong moral code could well be an impediment.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:So even though the article is positive some are not happy because they are saying he has copied another coach. Who cares. If we were to win a flag I dont give a stuff if they say we were lucky, or they didnt even mention us in the article but somehow I think if we keep winning they will write about us.

Was no one around in 2004?

god you love journos.......is one screwing you or something??????? :evil:
Sensible comment coming from the leader of the pot kettle black club.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:Journalists could belong to the Goodie Two Shoes Association and it wouldn't change the way they report because the fact remains that they work for companies that are in the money making business. Offcourse they are compromised.
This is not why they are compromised. They are compromised because the inefficiency of the bodies that regulate print media allows them to be - within a certain extent only.

We all have better things to do than complain about sports coverage, and all I intend to do is call out a case of bias. However there are plenty of cases in other parts of the media where breaching these principles have had far more serious ramifications, and these are prosecuted by a governing body.

Consider this - "the freedom of the press is important more because of the obligation it entails towards the people than because of the rights it gives to the press. Freedom of the press carries with it an equivalent responsibility to the public. Liberty does not mean licence."

I am arguing this simply to illustrate my point. Yours would seem to be that there is no point. I don't agree that's the case at all.

Quixote
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:So even though the article is positive some are not happy because they are saying he has copied another coach. Who cares. If we were to win a flag I dont give a stuff if they say we were lucky, or they didnt even mention us in the article but somehow I think if we keep winning they will write about us.

66 I fail to grasp how that article is positive. There was one line:

"Clearly the Saints are shaping up well for Round One"

that had a positive lean to it. The rest is covertly malicious insinuation.

What I take from it is an affirmation that RL is a very astute football thinker.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:

What I take from it is an affirmation that RL is a very astute football thinker.
Sorry I would have thought the first 5 or so lines were positive. Also if you gather from the article that RL is very astute then I would say it is a positve article.

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Quixote wrote:

Sorry I would have thought the first 5 or so lines were positive. Also if you gather from the article that RL is very astute then I would say it is a positve article.
I'd guess it's mainly the title that grates.... I didn't open the thread for a couple of days because I thought it was yet another negative one about RL... we are miserly and we copy... it's of little consequence really, but you cant see it's a negative headline at least?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:

The rest is covertly malicious insinuation.

you wouldn't expect old plugger to grasp that though would you.....???

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Quixote wrote:

There you go again pot kettle black calling me old.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
Quixote wrote:

yeah yeah..... :roll: :roll: :roll: you're like a friggen broken record...get some new lines ffs.... :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
Quixote wrote:

yeah yeah..... :roll: :roll: :roll: you're like a friggen broken record...get some new lines ffs.... :roll:
I'll get new lines when you get new emoticons and stop saying ffs.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

markp wrote:I'd guess it's mainly the title that grates....
Chances are the headline didn't come from the guy who wrote the article. I know Sheehan's been frustrated before by sensationalist headlines coming from overzealous subeditors. If it can happen to their chief football writer, it can happen to anyone there.

Ingoring the headline, the article was a positive fluff piece about how we're looking good for 09.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
Quixote wrote:

touche mate, touche....

loris
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Is the Age still one of our sponsers? If they are I think you'll find that has something to do with it.
I think you are spot on there Cairnsman......ever since The Age have been involved with sponsorship with the Saints, you'll find The Australian newspaper also only ever covers anything on the Saints if they really have to.
I noticed especially last season, here in Perth when the Saints played on a friday night there was nothing about the game in sat mornings paper. Even scores. At first I thought it must because of the late finishing of the night games & it couldn't be timed for the printing for the Perth Australian's printing presses. Yet strange that the local, The West Australian could always provide a summary of the match in their sat paper. (not much I may add because you only get Eagles crappola in the WA paper.) However, if Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, etc etc had played on a friday evening a summary of the game would appear in the Australian's sat paper...even if it was only a report up until three-quarter time.

Then I noticed if the Saints played either on a friday or a saturday, there was very rarely a write up in the monday's Australian about the game. Usually it was only scores, best players & goalkickers provided.
The only time there was a major covering was if we had played one of the major newsworthy teams or we played on a sunday.

So here in the West if you only read The Australian, there was very limited coverage of the Saints. I had to resort to going on-line to read the Age for anything Saintly....but ofcourse SS was my best source!!

Also in the past 2 seasons since the Age was onboard Chip Le Grand (Australian reporter & former Saint) has only written a few peices on Saints players....and prior to that he was orgasmic about anything Saints and was forever writing about them. Then again he was pretty close to GT so I think that helped.

Even Mr Smith doesn't bother much about us now, his interest waned went GT went methinks.

The only time of recent months we were frequently in The Australian was when we were still in the running for Cousins....and I think they only covered us in any great detail - they possibly hoped we might end up in the poo with Cousins, because The Australian has continually been one paper that has been very negative toward Cousins & all his chances. And I think they would have liked to see the Saints with egg all over their faces with thhe recovering drug addict. MHO

So I'm sure our deal with The Age has some impact on the type of coverage we get in other media outlets.

Gee i'm begining to read like AOK and Barks4eva.....looking for conspiracies in anything eh :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

and that's what i have been saying for weeks loris.......that's how the bastards think though......won't do anything to publicise a rival however tenuous......

i have had my share of run ins with arseholes in the press...even though i consider some journos to be my friends...even up to editor level.......hasn't helped me though......

loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:and that's what i have been saying for weeks loris.......that's how the bastards think though......
stinger i hope you are refering to journalists/media bosses there and not AOK & barks4eva who i mentioned in my post........... :wink: :wink:

isn't this an example of selective quoting.....i think i'd make a good journo :lol: :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
stinger wrote:and that's what i have been saying for weeks loris.......that's how the bastards think though......
stinger i hope you are refering to journalists/media bosses there and not AOK & barks4eva who i mentioned in my post........... :wink: :wink:

isn't this an example of selective quoting.....i think i'd make a good journo :lol: :lol:

got me......

...but

...i would never say such a horrible thing about two ss stalwarts :roll: :twisted:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Journalists could belong to the Goodie Two Shoes Association and it wouldn't change the way they report because the fact remains that they work for companies that are in the money making business. Offcourse they are compromised.
This is not why they are compromised. They are compromised because the inefficiency of the bodies that regulate print media allows them to be - within a certain extent only.

We all have better things to do than complain about sports coverage, and all I intend to do is call out a case of bias. However there are plenty of cases in other parts of the media where breaching these principles have had far more serious ramifications, and these are prosecuted by a governing body.

Consider this - "the freedom of the press is important more because of the obligation it entails towards the people than because of the rights it gives to the press. Freedom of the press carries with it an equivalent responsibility to the public. Liberty does not mean licence."

I am arguing this simply to illustrate my point. Yours would seem to be that there is no point. I don't agree that's the case at all.
Spoken like a true Journo undergraduate. What year are you in?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:Spoken like a true Journo undergraduate. What year are you in?
If I only had the time to pursue a course of study for every argument I fielded, what an amazing fellow I would be. Not to mention rich and good-looking to boot.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Spoken like a true Journo undergraduate. What year are you in?
If I only had the time to pursue a course of study for every argument I fielded, what an amazing fellow I would be. Not to mention rich and good-looking to boot.
Then I'll just put it down to naivety.

PJ
SS Life Member

I wouldn't worry about what the journos say. If they praise you their probably inflating the story to make their article appear interesting and if they are bagging you "same same".

Just get on with winning games of footy and they'll be knocking your door down.

These are just guys who make a living by writing articles that have to sell. Sometimes they are credible but for the whole they're just filling the sport section for an audience that can't get enough.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

In all honesty who cares if the media ignores us.

They write upbeat stuff about Collingwood, because it makes Collingwood brian deads buy their paper.

But in the end, Collingwood will fail again this year and are no better than last year, they will not challenge for the flag.

They write up beat about Carlton, who will not make top 4, despite what they say and will at best scrap into the top 8.

Hey, even if we won the premiership there'd be pages and pages on who lost the premiership with a small footnote, we believe St.Kilda won the game and are apparently this years premiers.

In regards to the article, all I can say if we starve teams of forward 50 entries like the writer says, we will win a lot of games and be top 4 again, if not top 2.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Why is it a positive article?
SOunds like a dig at boring footy under Lyon, and a cheap shot at copying another coach to me.
As others have said, Lyon has coached this way from day dot.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

Why is it a positive article?
SOunds like a dig at boring footy under Lyon, and a cheap shot at copying another coach to me.
As others have said, Lyon has coached this way from day dot.
He hasnt coached that way from day dot. He has gradually changed the way we play as other coaches have done in the last 3 years.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
Quixote wrote:

owned

let's go for a beer

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Obviously the TV stations aren't as impressed by StKilda's game style as some other sections of the media appear to be...

That'd be why StKilda has less games on free to air and why they have been moved out of the prime tv viewing slots.............

The TV networks paid too much to have bored and frustrated viewers switching off in droves....

I wonder if StKilda's game style this year will be more of the same or
a much improved product....

Maybe we'll just settle for "winning football is good football" regardless of the spectacle...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D