The Modern Game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I'm not sure I follow?

Ross Lyon needs to be commended for being consistently outcoached by his own revoluntionary game plan?
yes that is what everyone is implying
whose implying that?

what isnt being implied but is a fact is that the game is becoming more defensive with attack being harder to conjure - dont believe me...read the direct quotes from AFL coaches in todays Hun.

Ross Lyon has made that a focus from day 1 in his time at St Kilda - I think that has taken time to instill but will ultimately hold us in good stead.

Apart from silly tw!ts with weird agenda's....I dont think thats so hard to get? :?:
Teffers relax buddy i was taking the pyss out fo dodgercox. Trust me mate i am with you not with that w@nker

#1 Ryder fan
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
Teflon wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:

Ross Lyon needs to be commended for being consistently outcoached by his own revoluntionary game plan?
whose implying that?

what isnt being implied but is a fact is that the game is becoming more defensive with attack being harder to conjure - dont believe me...read the direct quotes from AFL coaches in todays Hun.

Ross Lyon has made that a focus from day 1 in his time at St Kilda - I think that has taken time to instill but will ultimately hold us in good stead.

Apart from silly tw!ts with weird agenda's....I dont think thats so hard to get? :?:
Teffers relax buddy i was taking the pyss out fo dodgercox. Trust me mate i am with you not with that w@nker
2 classic examples of childish nonsense that end up in stupid "who can pyss higher against the wall" arguments.

Stop and have a think MC Gusto..were either of the bolded comments really neccessary??? I could just warn you for baiting right here and now

sheesh and people wonder how dumb arguments start on here :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
No..your post was again to denigrate Ross Lyon
Why does posting that 'denigrates' the coach bother you so much?

You don't think that it's a tad hypocritical for you to be upset by people 'denigrating' the coach of the St Kilda footy club?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:In Ross we trust.
Amen.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Amen.
In all serioussness, what is that you trust? And why?

I was very pleased when we got Lyon, and liked what I saw after his appointment.

That changed once we starting playing.

And that trust has diminished even further since then. I can't see where this trust, excitement and faith in Lyon comes from. Apart of course, from blind faith.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:
Amen.
In all serioussness, what is that you trust? And why?

I was very pleased when we got Lyon, and liked what I saw after his appointment.

That changed once we starting playing.

And that trust has diminished even further since then. I can't see where this trust, excitement and faith in Lyon comes from. Apart of course, from blind faith.
In all seriousness rodge, you have one card trick and I'm amazed people keep falling for it....

You say your trust in the coach is diminishing?.... who gives a f**k.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: In all seriousness rodge, you have one card trick and I'm amazed people keep falling for it....

Who gives a f**k??

Unless I'm completely mistaken, this thread is about the coach and faith and trust in his game plan and his abilities to get it carried out.

Based on that, I'd say that 1) my question is completely reasonable in this thread, and that 2) anyone who bothers to read and respond in this thread would probably give a f**k.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote: In all seriousness rodge, you have one card trick and I'm amazed people keep falling for it....

Who gives a f**k??

Unless I'm completely mistaken, this thread is about the coach and faith and trust in his game plan and his abilities to get it carried out.

Based on that, I'd say that 1) my question is completely reasonable in this thread, and that 2) anyone who bothers to read and respond in this thread would probably give a f**k.
Wow, you dont have faith in the coach?!.... hold the front page.....

Your sniping little question routine is tiresome in the extreme.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Who gives a f**k??

Well, you're under absolutely no obligation to answer it.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Who gives a f**k??

Well, you're under absolutely no obligation to answer it.
I didn't, I responded... as I am absolutely entitled to do.

Good day sir. :wink:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon was very impressive when he spoke at the AGM, I left knowing that we had the right man coaching us and DEVELOPING our list!

Poor list development is why we slid backwards to begin with, which is what Lyon has been addressing ever since he arrived!

We need more pace and leg speed in our team and this has been a focus with our recruiting, but it takes time for these kids to develop, there is no quick fix!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:I left knowing that we had the right man coaching us and DEVELOPING our list!

Poor list development is why we slid backwards to begin with, which is what Lyon has been addressing ever since he arrived!
Well should he perhaps be 'list manager' then seeing as someone else is being paid to do this?

We have a List Manager. And it's not Ross Lyon.

Lyon's job is to coach the list we have. And he's not doing it very well at all.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
Teflon wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:

whose implying that?

Sorry Gusto wasnt having a crack at you I was, like Mark P so eloquently put it, getting tired of the 1 trick pony silly question routine from Dodg.

Must say (back to footy for a moment) its interesting to see the divided views on Lyon - it goes without saying this year he must produce CONSISTENTLY to win many over Id suggest.

Barks also makes a valid point IMHO that we have slid in part due to poor list management and not enough true development of many players under Thomas/Butters.

I really do think Lyons job isnt that easy - he has a side that outside its core isnt what it used to be and certainly does not have the experience and hard bodies that the 2004/05 line ups had at their disposal. He has to conjure up enough talent to support this still very capable core WHILE STILL being expected to produce top 4 results with limited top draft picks at his disposal. Everyone knows the caper of selecting 200 game players gets a whole lot tougher outside top 10-20 picks. Its a real balance act and its why hes grabbed some developed players (King, Gardiner, Gardiner, Sneider, Dempster, Attard, etc) to attempt to immediately fix discrepancies in the side AND also attempted to bring on some kids - Armitage, Steven, Eddy, Geary, Jones, Eljay, NSW rookies, Lynch, Miles, choo choo etc

I am impressed so far that his re-cycled players havent cost us the earth and some of these kids look ok (they wont all make it but if we get 2 or 3 Id be stoked).

“Yeah….nah””
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Ron Barrassi introduce "handball at all expense"? What were the kicks versus handball stats for that famous grand final.

Did Ron Barassi start all of this?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Even in this thread, which is a massive straw clutching exercise, I haven't seen anything that suggests why there is faith and trust in Lyon as a good coach.

He has a vision for our list. He's recruiting now, and for the the future.

That's the only point raised.

And that's pretty easily countered by saying that every coach in the league is doing the same thing.

What have we seen on-field, to make people think that Lyon is going to be a Premiership coach?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i've seen enough.

I think tactically he is the most astute match coach we have had since i can remember. I think he is drilling in the core competencies around defence our players didn't have.
watch us this year rodger. you just watch

#1 Ryder fan
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Even in this thread, which is a massive straw clutching exercise, I haven't seen anything that suggests why there is faith and trust in Lyon as a good coach.

And that's pretty easily countered by saying that every coach in the league is doing the same thing.

What have we seen on-field, to make people think that Lyon is going to be a Premiership coach?

He took us to a preliminary final in his second year. If he was no good we wouldn't have got that far with the players available last year.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:i've seen enough.

I think tactically he is the most astute match coach we have had since i can remember. I think he is drilling in the core competencies around defence our players didn't have.
Just because he's the most tactically astute coach we've had - why does that mean he's a good coach?

Secondly, at what point have we won a game due to his tactics?

I keep hearing about our defence, but we leak like a sive. Our defence is very ordinary.

Our forward line defence is poor, our midfield defence is average, and our backline isn't exactly airtight.

I think people get scrappy, sloppy, indirect and a lack of scoring with being good defensively.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
He took us to a preliminary final in his second year. If he was no good we wouldn't have got that far with the players available last year.
I actually think that the players we had available was the reason we played in a prelim.

yipper
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:Even in this thread, which is a massive straw clutching exercise, I haven't seen anything that suggests why there is faith and trust in Lyon as a good coach.

I know for a FACT that most, if not all opposition coaches rate Lyon very highly as an astute tactician and matchday coach.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:

I know for a FACT that most, if not all opposition coaches rate Lyon very highly as an astute tactician and matchday coach.[/quote]

Come on Yipper. Be serious.

By stating that you know for a fact, means you've spoken personally to the majority of all AFL coaches in a forum where they will speak honestly.

Without calling you a liar, I find that very hard to believe.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:i've seen enough.

Just because he's the most tactically astute coach we've had - why does that mean he's a good coach?

Secondly, at what point have we won a game due to his tactics?

I keep hearing about our defence, but we leak like a sive. Our defence is very ordinary.

Our forward line defence is poor, our midfield defence is average, and our backline isn't exactly airtight.

I think people get scrappy, sloppy, indirect and a lack of scoring with being good defensively.
your opinion

which you keep drumming out. You are so negative i really fail to understand why you keep hanging around here. this is a saints 'fan' forum. do you consider yourself to be a fan?

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

by the way this thread is bookmarked

#1 Ryder fan
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
barks4eva wrote:I left knowing that we had the right man coaching us and DEVELOPING our list!

Well should he perhaps be 'list manager' then seeing as someone else is being paid to do this?

We have a List Manager. And it's not Ross Lyon.

Lyon's job is to coach the list we have. And he's not doing it very well at all.
so what isn't he doing well???

explain

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
yipper
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
yipper wrote:

I know for a FACT that most, if not all opposition coaches rate Lyon very highly as an astute tactician and matchday coach.
Come on Yipper. Be serious.

By stating that you know for a fact, means you've spoken personally to the majority of all AFL coaches in a forum where they will speak honestly.

Without calling you a liar, I find that very hard to believe.[/quote]

a mate of mine is in the coaches box as head statistician of a leading AFL club. Now I am going by what he says - but he assures me that opposition coaches have trouble preparing for games against the Saints with Lyon in charge. He obviously is very good mates with his coach, and that has come from his coach. Maybe stating it is fact is a bit risky - but I will believe him before anyone on here!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.