Maguire endures the long, long wait

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Maguire endures the long, long wait

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/m ... 90561.html

FEW milestones would mean more to a player than St Kilda's Matt Maguire, who sits stranded on 99 games after his 2008 season was called off in May.

Just four games were added to his tally this year after 10 the previous year, as complications from a badly broken leg in 2006 took a heavy toll on the defender.

This week the 24-year-old was training on the Gold Coast ahead of a Christmas break he hopes will be his last until deep into September next year.

St Kilda's elite performance manager, David Misson, said Maguire was due to begin skills work after Christmas, but his rehabilitation was still a work in progress.

"He's had load issues through that leg since the injury a couple of years ago (and) ongoing issues with regard to bone stress and nerve damage," Misson said.

"It was such a bad break, so for us it's about coming up with a program that gets him back to a level where he can play AFL footy without risk of re-injury."

Maguire felt "significant pain" in his left foot during this year's round-seven win against Richmond and was operated on a few days later.

Surgeons found a fracture in his foot, but Misson said "we're pretty comfortable about where he's at" with 99 days until the round-one clash against Sydney.

"After he finished up (in May) he had a period of time off, went overseas and mentally freshened up," Misson said.

"We've taken it really slowly since and he's shown some really good signs. He's obviously keen to get back training with the group, which he'll do not long after Christmas. It's still a work in progress in regard to managing his loads and combining his training, recovery and rest, but he's ticked a few boxes up to now (and) we're pretty happy."

Maguire has been forced to endure a lengthy wait to reach his 100th game, but a long spell in hospital (recovering from compartment syndrome) has taught him patience.

The centre half-back was in line for All-Australian selection in 2006 and his return would be a huge bonus for the Saints.

"He's in a pretty good place at the moment. He's training well, running well and the next step is to jump into skills," Misson said.

"We're just making sure we're comfortable with his running technique … how he's hitting the ground and the forces coming back up through the leg."

Misson said Steven Baker (recovering from a knee injury) was "close to coming back to full skills work" and Sean Dempster was also on track after a knee reconstruction.

"He (Dempster) is going really well, running and hopefully in a month will start to build in some skill work."

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Spent a bit of time with Goose at the function... He's busting to get back into it. He looks incredibly fit and strong.
It looks like Misson is doing a fantastic job getting the boys conditioned.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Schillaci
Club Player

Glad things are going well for him. We are so much better with him fit and firing...I remain doubtful that he will make it back to where he was...injury has wrecked many a career...Gellie and Cripps are two of our own that spring to mind...for the moment my fingers are crossed for Goose

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Yes, I am impressed with how well Mission seems to be able to handle the players rehab as well. Really seems to know his stuff!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Looks like he is coming along.....but there are clearly some cavaets too...

So one can understand why they have rookied Zac. If Max went down in 2009 one would be looking for Plan-B in order to keep Sam Fisher asa free running player rather than asa Key Backman, and Zac is a chance of being that.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Looks like he is coming along.....but there are clearly some cavaets too...

So one can understand why they have rookied Zac. If Max went down in 2009 one would be looking for Plan-B in order to keep Sam Fisher asa free running player rather than asa Key Backman, and Zac is a chance of being that.
Pure supposition on my part, but it would also be why they had Carroll training (ultimately to be discarded) and why they took Dawson so early in the Rookie Draft.

With Allen apparently out for most of the season (an insurance policy for Goose?) they may have decided to rookie another 'insurance policy' who can play straight away?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I am full of admiration for Goose, he has been through hell, I can't imagine how tough it must be to keep yourself going mentally. Good luck to him he deserves it.

Unfortunatley I didn't get to speak to him the other night but I did speak to Sean Dempster another lovely person. He is ahead of schedule and he is dead keen to come back as quickly as possible.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I just love it that we've got Dave Misson on board. What a difference he's made. The players must notice the expertise in fitness support he provides and take confidence from that. What a good get he was.

jays
Club Player

hope he has a good year feel you the guy

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:Glad things are going well for him. We are so much better with him fit and firing...I remain doubtful that he will make it back to where he was...injury has wrecked many a career...Gellie and Cripps are two of our own that spring to mind...for the moment my fingers are crossed for Goose
yea...plus barry pascoe, paul dodds ,billy guyatt billy stephenson and brian gleeson......just fot starters.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Schillaci wrote:Glad things are going well for him. We are so much better with him fit and firing...I remain doubtful that he will make it back to where he was...injury has wrecked many a career...Gellie and Cripps are two of our own that spring to mind...for the moment my fingers are crossed for Goose
yea...plus barry pascoe, paul dodds ,billy guyatt billy stephenson and brian gleeson......just fot starters.....
Aaron Hamil...

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Max even commented towards the end of the year when the topic of his retirement was raised, that if it werent for David Mission and Co. that he probably would have called it quits at the end of '08

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
Showing your vintage Stnger. :wink:

Did Pascoe have a brother who played? I recall they had a newsagent.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Every time Misson opens his mouth, I'm more and more impressed.

I don't know what it is, I just feel the boys are in such good hands with him.

He's always upbeat, always something positive with him.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i just hope he's not over doing it.

a fit and firing Goose would add so much to this team. Given that he's broken down twice early season I'd almost be inclined to hold off on a return til midseason but i guess these guys know best.

Would love to see him have a go as a medium forward... has a bit of Hamil about him

bergsone
SS Life Member

WayneJudson42 wrote:
stinger wrote:

bob and Barry Pascoeboth played for saints,came over from Nth Melb.Good players especially Barry

avid
Club Player

I reckon Barry Pascoe was the toughest I ever saw play. Well, along with Joffa, who was suicidal tough too. I only remember a few incidents though -- running through oncoming packs, and splintering them, etc.

How did we get onto this?

sasaint
Club Player

It worries me that during the draft we went for so many defenders. I'd say the club is very worried that Goose may not be able to get back on the ground. Would be a great shame as he really is a game maker and was very close to being an AA :(

Patience young grasshopper
stinger
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
stinger wrote:

yep......bob...he was a ruckman....barry was a true ruck rover in the mold of barrassi...we has two at the time.....both starring ...we were unstoppable...the other one was travis payze......then barry did his knee,,,too much courage to stay down....got up and tried to play on....flowered it completely........story of our life i'm afraid......

...we got the pascoes from north......lot of bad blood over their transfer......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:It worries me that during the draft we went for so many defenders. I'd say the club is very worried that Goose may not be able to get back on the ground. Would be a great shame as he really is a game maker and was very close to being an AA :(
me thinks the extra precaution is for flexibilty

you guys can laugh but i suspect the coaching staff would prefer both Goose and Fish to play forward but can't do it yet coz we don't have the depth

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:
sasaint wrote:It worries me that during the draft we went for so many defenders. I'd say the club is very worried that Goose may not be able to get back on the ground. Would be a great shame as he really is a game maker and was very close to being an AA :(

you guys can laugh but i suspect the coaching staff would prefer both Goose and Fish to play forward but can't do it yet coz we don't have the depth
Spot on Skeptic, what I like most of about the recruiting this year is that we've managed to get some depth across pretty much every position. Practically every new face is quite adaptable and can play in a variety of positions.

Ray- Mid/half back
Lynch- 3rd tall fwd/mid/tall back- may develop into a true tall forward
Stanley- Athletic ruck who can play deep forward
Heyne- mid sized fwd/mid
Smith- mid/half back
Cahill- tall fwd/tall defender
Begley- half back/mid
-------
Dawson- tall back/fwd/pinch hitter ruck
Simpkin- half back/3rd tall defender/mid
Howard- half back/mid
Gaertner- tall defender/very tall mid/relief ruck
McGarry- half back/mid/half fwd
Choo Choo- Small fwd/mid
McGrath- ruck

As I've posted before I'm wrapped that the club have be aggressive in filling holes that have been problematic in recent times or will be in the future. I can see Dawson being our full back for the next 5-6 years if he can learn from Max & SOS. I'm very enthused about Lynch & Heyne and Gaertner could be anything.

I've always liked Goose as a forward (despite the short memories of some who remember a few ordinary shots at goal at few years back). He's big & aggressive & can take a strong contested mark. Let him run at the ball & crash the pack in the manner in which we hope Kosi would do more often.

Chips is such a talented & smart player that if we could add him to the forward line with Roo (and hopefully Goose) we would have a forward line that would resemble the glory days of Roo, Sammy & G.

The draft

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Every time Misson opens his mouth, I'm more and more impressed.

I don't know what it is, I just feel the boys are in such good hands with him.

He's always upbeat, always something positive with him.
I think it's pretty simple - he just seems to have a plan, and the knowledge about how to execute it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Spot on Skeptic, what I like most of about the recruiting this year is that we've managed to get some depth across pretty much every position. Practically every new face is quite adaptable and can play in a variety of positions.

Ray- Mid/half back
Lynch- 3rd tall fwd/mid/tall back- may develop into a true tall forward
Stanley- Athletic ruck who can play deep forward
Heyne- mid sized fwd/mid
Smith- mid/half back
Cahill- tall fwd/tall defender
Begley- half back/mid
-------
Dawson- tall back/fwd/pinch hitter ruck
Simpkin- half back/3rd tall defender/mid
Howard- half back/mid
Gaertner- tall defender/very tall mid/relief ruck
McGarry- half back/mid/half fwd
Choo Choo- Small fwd/mid
McGrath- ruck

As I've posted before I'm wrapped that the club have be aggressive in filling holes that have been problematic in recent times or will be in the future. I can see Dawson being our full back for the next 5-6 years if he can learn from Max & SOS. I'm very enthused about Lynch & Heyne and Gaertner could be anything.

I've always liked Goose as a forward (despite the short memories of some who remember a few ordinary shots at goal at few years back). He's big & aggressive & can take a strong contested mark. Let him run at the ball & crash the pack in the manner in which we hope Kosi would do more often.

Chips is such a talented & smart player that if we could add him to the forward line with Roo (and hopefully Goose) we would have a forward line that would resemble the glory days of Roo, Sammy & G.

The draft
I have no doubt at all that we will not see Goose forward this year and also pretty sure Chips will not play there either. I dont understand why a person who won a B&F and AA selection would be moved to another position. As for Goose he has no real attributes that a forward needs.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

it's easier to play back then forward

a star forward is worth more than a star backaman

If Sam Fisher for example could cut it as a hardworking HFF that could rotate into the midfield, lead and take marks and kick say 2goals a game and set up a few, he would be more valuable than what he is now.

It would be easier to replace him in the backline

The running back position is the easiest one in the laegue. That's where young midfielders and guys with clear defincies generally get a gig. All you need is a brain, a bit of pace and disposal to get the gig.
Aussie Jones for example (in the latter years of his career) couldn't cut it as a midfielder but had the perfect attributes for a HBF role and he was star there.

The question about Sam Fisher is
"Would the team get more out of Sam Fisher playing forward and say Raph Clarke playing Sam's current roll (would like to point out that I've already stated we don't have a current replacement for Sam at HBF) than Sam playing HBF with no obvious decent medium sized HFF?

HFF is a harder position to play but I just see potential in Sam to be a star on that side of the ground too

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

As for Goose,

maybe i'm incorrect but I think he was struggling as a back b4 he hurt himself.
i think the new rules hurt him really badly.

i could see him as a Cam Mooney type forward, a bit in the Hamil mould