Saints 2009:Kings of the long bomb

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cro
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Huge problem with Gram's bombs is that they often end up in the counter-attack zone, 40-60m out from our goal. Within 10 seconds the ball can be in the opponant's scoring zone.

If he could hit them into the 15m zone, where counter attacking is tougher because there's less space, they'd be more effective.

That is, of course, assuming we're going to stick with the BOMB IT LONG approach...
Well, if he starts to play further up the ground as we are expecting he will, one would assume he will be getting more possessions closer to goal, therfore getting more into this 15M zone.

^ Jays, BJ is not going to and should not play FF.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Cro wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Huge problem with Gram's bombs is that they often end up in the counter-attack zone, 40-60m out from our goal. Within 10 seconds the ball can be in the opponant's scoring zone.

If he could hit them into the 15m zone, where counter attacking is tougher because there's less space, they'd be more effective.

That is, of course, assuming we're going to stick with the BOMB IT LONG approach...
Well, if he starts to play further up the ground as we are expecting he will, one would assume he will be getting more possessions closer to goal, therfore getting more into this 15M zone.

Yes, but more possessions could mean more turnovers....

Gram has to learn to pass the ball to a team mate and not just go the long option to a contest all the time.

I also understand that he has kicked 20 goals this season, but I would like to know just how many he has given away.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
As soon as someone yells out KICK IT UP THE GUTS at the footy, you know they know absolutely zero about the tactics of the game.
God Bless ya Ev :-)

Anyone who's been within earshot of me at a game over the last 3 years will attest to how much I love "JUST KICK IT!!!!" followed by "OH HAVE A BLOODY LOOK BEFORE YOU JUST THROW IT ON THE BOOT!!" 8-)
will have to yell that next year.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
As soon as someone yells out KICK IT UP THE GUTS at the footy, you know they know absolutely zero about the tactics of the game.
God Bless ya Ev :-)

Anyone who's been within earshot of me at a game over the last 3 years will attest to how much I love "JUST KICK IT!!!!" followed by "OH HAVE A BLOODY LOOK BEFORE YOU JUST THROW IT ON THE BOOT!!" 8-)
And it's often from the same supporter :shock:

The
JUST KICK IT!
amazes me, you only have to look up the ground to see that our forwards are out numbered, but it never seems to stop him from shouting it out.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Cro
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
Cro wrote:

Yes, but more possessions could mean more turnovers....

Gram has to learn to pass the ball to a team mate and not just go the long option to a contest all the time.

I also understand that he has kicked 20 goals this season, but I would like to know just how many he has given away.
I think Ross would be well aware of this and be working this over with Grammy. I agree 100% that this is a major flaw in his game which is p[ossibly why he hasn't already spent more time in the midfield.

The thing I like about him is he takes the game on and isn't afraid to take the longer option. He needs to work on picking his moment and not just blaze away.

Ideally I'd like Dal Santo's skill mixed with Gram's desire to take the game on and make things happen. :p

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Halo-9 wrote:the post wasnt about bombing it long to the forwards or kicking to which forward,it was about our selected long kickers taking the chance of kicking from 45metres plus for the GOALs,not a forward,,when the oppurtunity presents take it,we all know we can do it.

as for Gram,,yes his kicking sometimes can be off but 20 goals in 08 from a defensive half back cant be that bloody bad?
My trouble with Gram's shots at goal is that he seems to think he's a better long shot for goal than he actually is.

Any time Gram runs into the 50-60 metre range with the ball, I now expect him to shoot... and my perception is that 20.13 is flattering return for his accuracy. There are times where it's exactly the approach needed to open up the forward line, but Brendon Goddard he is not.

If Gram can learn to spot up targets, he can go from being a handy player to a star.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Grimfang
Club Player

sainter35 wrote: Yes, that's the crew who yell out "Get on with it!" and "Kick it long" only to have a go at them when they kick it long straight to an opponent because it's a 5 on 1 contest.
Or they scream abuse at the player for not having a shot at goal from just forward of the wing.....

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
saintly_safes
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:Bring back fraser :D
Bring back "Jinka Fehring" rip big fella

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Halo-9 wrote:the post wasnt about bombing it long to the forwards or kicking to which forward,it was about our selected long kickers taking the chance of kicking from 45metres plus for the GOALs,not a forward,,when the oppurtunity presents take it,we all know we can do it.

as for Gram,,yes his kicking sometimes can be off but 20 goals in 08 from a defensive half back cant be that bloody bad?
My trouble with Gram's shots at goal is that he seems to think he's a better long shot for goal than he actually is.

Any time Gram runs into the 50-60 metre range with the ball, I now expect him to shoot... and my perception is that 20.13 is flattering return for his accuracy. There are times where it's exactly the approach needed to open up the forward line, but Brendon Goddard he is not.

If Gram can learn to spot up targets, he can go from being a handy player to a star.[/quote

I think he'd be encouraged to take a shot if he doesn't have a better option.

Geez, we all want more midfield goals. Don't be too harsh on the boy. Apart from him and BJ, who else can roost a goal from 50 or 60?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:My trouble with Gram's shots at goal is that he seems to think he's a better long shot for goal than he actually is.
he might be under instruction to take a ping if he thinks he's a chance and i don't think it's a bad thing.

we should be encouraging guys prepared to back themselves and take a few risks so long as he doesn't try to kick the impossible ones.