My top 5 players at St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beekay
SS Life Member

Our best players..

Riewoldt
Goddard
Hayes
Fisher
Max

HarveysDeciple

Beekay wrote:Our best players..

Riewoldt
Goddard
Hayes
Fisher
Max
same top 5 for mine.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

hayes
roo
max
BJ
bally

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Our Top 5:

Lynch
Stanley
Heyne
Cahill
Al Smith

Not to put any pressure on the kids or anything 8-)

The Saints are coming!
Richter
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:1. Riewoldt - Without him we have no avenue to goal. Without him we are a bottom 8 team.

Make that bottom 4. Far and away our best player since Robert Harvey was in his pomp.

2. Hudghton - Max makes a 3-4 goal difference every week. He effectively takes the opposition's best goalkicker out of the game.

Agree 100%.

3. Goddard - He's our best kick, most determined, most versatile and smartest player. You can stick him anywhere on the ground and he'll dominate.

Which is why I hope to see him in the middle for the majority of next year.Put him where's he'll get most opportunity to influence the course of a game. Our only realistic chance for a major individual honour. I hope it is the Norm Smith in a winning team.

4. S. Fisher - Probably the best rebounding defender in the competition. Never makes mistakes and never goes missing. The only reason he's not higher is because we have lots of running defenders.

May have his influence blunted if Max goes down. Our biggest concern - and why Max rates as no.2. of course - like Roo, Max is irreplaceable.

5. Hayes - His pace is gone and skills have deteriorated, but he's still a brilliant clearance player. Without him we'd get smashed out of the middle every week.

Ture but he isn't tagged by the opposition for a reason - and that reason is poor disposal. I expect to see Dal and BJ dominate our inside 50 disposal count this year. For us to improve next year Ball or Dal need to step up to replace Lenny in this top 5.

It was a toss up between Lenny and Kosi for this spot, since Kosi is our only other truly AFL ready key forward and he allows us to have an extra runner rather than another ruckman.

Yep. Our best "utility" player, Jason Blake deserves a mention too. Can play FB, CHB. mid, tagging mid, ruck, CHF. None of them as a superstar, but all of them at a serviceable level against moderate opposition.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Roo
Fisher
Max
Goddard/Hayes

in that order for me

would like to see bally and dal re-enter, alongside kosi, baker, and goose - making a top ten that you can't split!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Fiora
Birss
Rix
Ferguson
C Gardiner

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

jackal wrote:Batnoe is the closest here. Goddard is now our best player IMO (please ignore the 3yo sig that I loose faith with every day X`doesn't play)

I'd have Roo at 2, Lenny 3, Fisher 4. Ball 5. Unfortunatly we need our 18-22 to improve heaps to be a chance as top 5 players are as good as the top 5 in ANY team in the comp.
Goodness - talk about underappreciated. As for Goddard, while the ability's there (at multiple positions), he's not controlling games at this time to anywhere near the extent Reiwoldt does.

1) Nick Reiwoldt - Simply a cut above. Period.

Daylight.

2) Sam Fisher - Classy with the ball, great in a contest, good in the air, good on the ground. Can be beaten on the lead by the best runners, but it's very tough to do it enough to counter the number of times he'll beat you the other way.

Daylight.

3) Lenny Hayes - Had a down year in '08 due to disposal issues (he's been better than that most years), and was still our best mid (unfortunately). Consistently a clearance machine. Consistently a ball winner. Unfortunately also consistently a poor shot at goal.

4) Max Hudghton - One of the best shutdown backs going around. A human eraser.

5) Brendon Goddard - Class player, and best kick on the team. If he can make the release to the midfield stick, win clearances and inside ball, then he's the only other player talented enough to rival Reiwoldt.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
groupie1
Club Player

fair point about Roo, wrt more than one opponent.

my response would be he doesn't kick straight enough to do all the 3 things I mentioned.

but about Hayes, Max and Baker you're off the mark in terms of what their role is mattering; my point was they always succeed in accomplishing it (and that it is important). Just b/c 2 are pure negators and the other doesn't get the best tagger, doesn't make them doing less important things.

Fair point about Goddard

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:Goddard ahead of Kosi, other than that, I agree with you.
yep......bj is definitely in our top 5 ....kossi slipped last year.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt
Goddard
Hayes
Fisher
Max

that's about right and in pretty much the correct order too.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bj is clearly now our 2nd best player. Lenny was great but you are basing it on past performances - i think BJ went past him in 08.

Kosi at 5 - you obviously dont watch games or you dont value finals or the opposition. Kosi is a lflat track bully. does ok against weak opposition but thats it. He is not even top 12. As Bon Jovi said - wehn it comes to Koso - some pople are "livin on a prayer". There is a huge gap between the dream (peopls fantasies about what kosi could be) and the reality (week in week out performance on the field)

wake up and stop dreaming.

My top 5:

Riewoldt
BJ
S Fisher
Lenny Hayes
M Hudghton

Milney, Gram, Ball.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:

Riewoldt
Goddard
Hayes
Fisher
Max
same top 5 for mine.
same top 5 for me too!

then milney, gram, monty, ball for mine.

regarding milney: i just had a quick look our forwards stats. over a long period he averages twice as many goals as koszi and schenider. its hard not to conclude that milney is a highly under-rated player - even by saints fans. and that kosi is over-rated.

games goals 2008 goals
stephen milne 165 331 60
Justin Koschitzke 123 133 30
adam schneider 117 127 28

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If he continues to improve as he did in this years final series, Rafe could end up in the top players at the club.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Who the canal is Rafe? That pommie bloke in The English Patient?

Or, are you talking about Raph Clarke?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:
Batnoe wrote:my top 5

1 Goddard
2 Ball
3 S Fisher
4 Hayes
5 Roo
I want what he's smoking :lol:

Dude... I love the other 4 guys more...If Roo got 100 goals in a year he would be my favourite...
Dude...perhaps if you actually attended games you wouldn't be so seriously deluded.

The post wasn't about ur favorite players, it was about the best.

Roo is our best player by a ridiculous margin - that is not opinion -

IT IS FACT...

DUDE!!

PS: Not only is he the best in the team he is also in the process of making a serious claim as the best in the clubs history.

Drag urself away from your Bundy and bananas sometime and come down and watch him play. :roll:

Look again it's the Flash!!
james rose
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Bj is clearly now our 2nd best player. Lenny was great but you are basing it on past performances - i think BJ went past him in 08.

Kosi at 5 - you obviously dont watch games or you dont value finals or the opposition. Kosi is a lflat track bully. does ok against weak opposition but thats it. He is not even top 12. As Bon Jovi said - wehn it comes to Koso - some pople are "livin on a prayer". There is a huge gap between the dream (peopls fantasies about what kosi could be) and the reality (week in week out performance on the field)

wake up and stop dreaming.

My top 5:

Riewoldt
BJ
S Fisher
Lenny Hayes
M Hudghton

Milney, Gram, Ball.
I did clarify my post in the thread to say I meant this to be of importance, not best players right?

Kosi provides us with a target up forward and a good rucking option. without him and roo playing in the same games we seem to lack that structural targets- this was my reason for including him in the top 5...

It seems unfair for you to conclude that by me having him there I don't watch games... I'm there every week in melb and occasionally go to bris as well.

another thing that may be worth noting is that i did say for 2009- thus kosi's potential is relevant.

Lennon
Club Player

The Linton Street Flash wrote:
PS: Not only is he the best in the team he is also in the process of making a serious claim as the best in the clubs history.

Drag urself away from your Bundy and bananas sometime and come down and watch him play. :roll:
Agree 100%.

And Queenslander here. ;)

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

The Linton Street Flash wrote:
Batnoe wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:
Batnoe wrote:my top 5

1 Goddard
2 Ball
3 S Fisher
4 Hayes
5 Roo
I want what he's smoking :lol:

Dude... I love the other 4 guys more...If Roo got 100 goals in a year he would be my favourite...
Dude...perhaps if you actually attended games you wouldn't be so seriously deluded.

The post wasn't about ur favorite players, it was about the best.

Roo is our best player by a ridiculous margin - that is not opinion -

IT IS FACT...

DUDE!!

Obviously you weren't around in the 80s early 90s. Roo better lift his game and accuracy at goal to even get close to taking that title.

In fact I wouldn't even rate him in our top 5 all time yet

davidgrantfan
Club Player

""regarding milney: i just had a quick look our forwards stats. over a long period he averages twice as many goals as koszi and schenider. its hard not to conclude that milney is a highly under-rated player - even by saints fans. and that kosi is over-rated. ""

Agree Con. Good to see Milney get a mention. Goals win matches and Milney was only a handful of goals behind Roo last year, if my memory serves me. The guy is so committed and does plenty for the team. Discipline let him down a bit last year, but he deserves more apprceiation than he gets. I like Kosi, and I'm waiting to see his potential realised, but really Milney has the runs on the board.

Love your avatar CG!

"Even the most widely held opinions should never be regarded as an ultimate truth"...Science and Public Policy Institute USA.. on the subject of climate change.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

My top 5 -

Roo
BJ
Fisher
Hayes
Max

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM