Pick 31 Did We Get It Right

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Pick 31 Did We Get It Right

Picks 31 could have been Jordan Roughead and retained someone say Shane Birss

Instead we have Farren Ray and Nicholas Heyne as a result of trading.

What does everyone think?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Ok, so now we jump right into hindsight?

31 could have been anyone... it's just how the cards fell.

Ray is experienced and still young... and a top 4 pick.

Time will tell.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

NAME JORDAN ROUGHEAD
CLUB WESTERN BULLDOGS
ORIGINAL CLUB NORTH BALLARAT REBELS
DOB 03/11/1990
HEIGHT 199.7
WEIGHT 91.8

Jordan is a developing ruckman with excellent endurance and good ability at ground level. He played 15 matches and was vice captain of the North Ballarat Rebels in 2008 where he averaged 14 possessions, 18 hit-outs and five marks per match.

He led the club for hit-outs and ranked fourth overall for marks. In a best-on-ground performance in round 14 against the Eastern Ranges he gathered 17 possessions, six marks, 23 hit-outs and kicked three goals.

He represented Vic Country at the 2008 NAB AFL U18 Championships, ranking second overall for both hit-outs - averaging 14 per game – and hit-outs to advantage.

He was one of the catalysts for Vic Country’s upset win over Western Australia at Subiaco where he battled tirelessly and took the honours against the highly-rated Nicholas Naitanui in the ruck, claiming 14 hit-outs, five marks and booting a goal. J

ordan attended the 2008 NAB AFL Draft Camp at the AIS, posting a solid 12.9 in the beep test and ranking highly in the running vertical leap tests. From Lake Wendouree FC.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
jays
Club Player

well hopefully farren is good for us

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 31 Did We Get It Right

ace wrote:Picks 31 could have been Jordan Roughead and retained someone say Shane Birss

Instead we have Farren Ray and Nicholas Heyne as a result of trading.

What does everyone think?
I think we did well....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Legendary
Club Player

I think we did very well ...

A developing young ruckman + keeping someone like Birss

OR

A pacier midfielder/half-back (Ray) + A pacy half-foward/wingman (Heyne)

Very happy with that myself

undecided
Club Player

Legendary wrote:I think we did very well ...

A developing young ruckman + keeping someone like Birss

OR

A pacier midfielder/half-back (Ray) + A pacy half-foward/wingman (Heyne)

Very happy with that myself
And Rhys Stanley looks like a alright ruckman anyway

Batnoe

recruiting Farren lets Goddard or Gram into midfield

what player available at pick 31 could play that role?

we may have gone for Heyne anyway in which we got Ray and Heyne for the same price!!

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Batnoe wrote:recruiting Farren lets Goddard or Gram into midfield

we may have gone for Heyne anyway in which we got Ray and Heyne for the same price!!
Agree. We now have a system where kids can be blooded, and still have enough senior experience.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:

Agree. We now have a system where kids can be blooded, and still have enough senior experience.
Yeah agreed, just as long as our ruck stocks are on target...

Just on that I hope Ben McEvoy gets some serious game time in the ruck with Sandringham next year

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

Yeah agreed, just as long as our ruck stocks are on target...

Just on that I hope Ben McEvoy gets some serious game time in the ruck with Sandringham next year
From what I've read, we are set for rucks for a few years. Also interesting was that Begley was part of their "plan A".

So it makes more sense that they passed on BC. We get some injection in the middle without the baggage.

Hopefully, the Ray & co will fulfill their roles accordingly.

Bring on the first bounce.

Batnoe

I think people are still skeptic on taking Ray, i am super impressed with him, he played in a team where they are all the same so he didnt stand out

I rate Ray as well as Griffen, Griffen has a bigger body

We have the inside tough midfielders so Ray will fit in nicley and is a good get for us

To see Gram or Goddard playing in midfield permanently instead of Harvey isnt a bad thing

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:I think people are still skeptic on taking Ray, i am super impressed with him, he played in a team where they are all the same so he didnt stand out

I rate Ray as well as Griffen, Griffen has a bigger body

We have the inside tough midfielders so Ray will fit in nicley and is a good get for us

To see Gram or Goddard playing in midfield permanently instead of Harvey isnt a bad thing
Gram in the midfield maybe fine for his run, but his disposal into 50 is appalling

He really need to improve on his disposals and not just kick an hope, far too many turnovers from that IMO

undecided
Club Player

goddard in the guts spotting up Roo time after time after time

davidgrantfan
Club Player

[u]goddard in the guts spotting up Roo time after time after time[/u]

I like the sound of that!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:Gram in the midfield maybe fine for his run, but his disposal into 50 is appalling
He's also not nearly as good a shot at goal as he thinks he is. And there's no guarantee that Ray can play defence. Begley struggles to win the ball, Baker has injury issues. I wouldn't be surprised at all if come round 1, 2009, Gram is playing in the backline.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

im more than happy with what we ended up with,,saw some footage on heyne yesterday,looks a very promising player,and have been a fan of rays,so all good here as well.

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Halo-9 wrote:im more than happy with what we ended up with,,saw some footage on heyne yesterday,looks a very promising player,and have been a fan of rays,so all good here as well.
Mate, nice sig, 2005 must have been a good year for you.. I can only think of one thing that could make your 2005 and your sig look that little bit better :cry:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Batnoe

who do people think we would have picked up with pick 31 anyway?

i honestly think we may have gone for Heyne ( i know he was pick 48 and not 47, but maybe that is because it didnt really matter what order their names were called out)

so in hindsight we get the 3 players we may have picked up at 13, 31 and 47 and we still get Ray

i think we did better this way

Ray is an awesome player and will fit in nicely and play all games next year

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:who do people think we would have picked up with pick 31 anyway?

i honestly think we may have gone for Heyne ( i know he was pick 48 and not 47, but maybe that is because it didnt really matter what order their names were called out)

so in hindsight we get the 3 players we may have picked up at 13, 31 and 47 and we still get Ray

We asked for extra time before selecting Stanley and Heyne.....which youl would think we would not have needed to do if Heyne was in our sighs from the get-go.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

We asked for extra time before selecting Stanley and Heyne.....which youl would think we would not have needed to do if Heyne was in our sighs from the get-go.
Without any real knowledge on the matter, I would think that the time taken to make that decision was either 'for effect' or some 'Jedi mind games' for the 2 players concerned.

Maybe they decided to 'pump up' Stanley by telling him they took him with our second pick whereas they felt the need to deliver a 'reminder' to Heyne that we chose Stanley before him? Maybe in their 'due diligence' they uncovered an 'ego' in Heyne that needed deflating?
As I said, mere speculation on my part but given that we had the next 2 picks there would be no difference to the CLub which name we called out first, other than psychological, as we were going to get both anyway at that stage.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Unless you pick up a gun like Judd who can play first year, then drafting kids is always gunna be a long term prospect that should pay off 2 or 3 years down the track.

Basically, we've covered that base.

In getting Ray and Begley, the club has acknowledged that it is in a position to challenge whilst the core of Roo, Ball, Dal etc are still in their prime. IE, no need to go for a total rebuild like the Hawks did.

Ray should become a regular player, and is ready made to go... now.

Begley, should bolster our bottom 6 in the absence of Dempster. From what I'm reading, he is athletic and can run, so if he develops intp a regular "bottom 6" player, then that's a bonus IMO.

If he goes even better, then look out.

So I reckon we got the balance right.

IMO only.

Batnoe

saint66au wrote:

Perhaps we were not expecting Heyne to still be there... if he was touted as a top 25 maybe we thought he may not have been there until someone said he was

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Unless you pick up a gun like Judd who can play first year, then drafting kids is always gunna be a long term prospect that should pay off 2 or 3 years down the track.
I don't agree with that.

I think that's an old fashioned line used to excuse either poor drafting choices, or legitimate long term drafting strategy.

Judd is not the only draftee to play good footy in their first year.

It's actually quite common these days. And so it should be.