money,time & effort

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

money,time & effort

with all the money,time & effort we are reported to be spending on cousins (& fair enough) what could have been if we had taken the same track with some of our other flawed gems in the past...stewart,carl,perovic,owen,lockett,nicky,everitt,hall etc just to name a few who were rocking the boat when we were around the mark

all premiership teams since the start of time have had their so-called rough diamonds, its the art of harnessing their footy ability on gameday thats the difference between winning a flag or becoming also rans...one flag in 130 yrs imo says it all

imagine steve johnson at st.kilda...would have put him in the to hard basket & pyssed him off cause he's a so-called dykhead...maybe a dykhead but who cares he's got a FLAG & a norm smith in his pocket

did ford drop their geel sponsorship cause he was caught driving at about 120 in a 50 zone(no doubt in a ford)..12 mths later ford lashed up all the free advertising johnson & geel brought their product

moral ethics go out the stegbar (window) if ya take off the big one

footy clubs should have one criterera
can they play footy...if yes keep em
if not pyss em off
dont matter if they are rhodes scolars or blockheads

chook23
Saintsational Legend

agree with your point

but were not you and many singing the praise when the club got rid of

(the d**khead)

Everitt

:wink:

saint4life
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

who have we pissed off recently???

keep in mind we have never had the dosh to really do something like the cousins search...or ahd the right people

im proud of the way in which the club is doing things

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Pilgram
Club Player

agree with all those posts.
he's ours.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

no

i was only pyssed off in his last game

perfect example...personality clash with thomas brought that about not his ability to play footy

gops ya pyss off...whether a gops a rocket scientist or a blockhead he's still just a gop

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i agree with ya rog but sadly flawed genius's sometime cost more then they are worth in the long run and in the case of Lockett Everitt and Hall the move out of the comfort zone that was Stkilda was the shot in the arm they needed , Plugga was a freak and was going to star no matter where he went Everitt & Hall were on downward spirals and had we not let them go who is to say they woulndt of ended up as GOP 's ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I don't think you can include Perovic in your list and I'm certan you shouldn't include Big Carl.

Perovic left because the Club brought in some sort of rule demanding all players live in Melbourne and he wanted to at home in Ballarat?

Big Carl left us for the Demons under the '!0 year Rule' brought in at that time to allow players who had given their original CLub 10 years of service the ability to move to any CLub of their choice.
North Melbourne used that rule to attract Barry Davis, Doug Wade and a number of others and won tehir first Premiership almost solely on the back of that Rule.

Understandably it (the Rule) didn't last too long.

But I take your basic point on this. If Jeans and the Club had taken a different attitude with Stewart maybe he would have won his third Brownlow and second Premiership with us rather than the Tigers?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas, the coach.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

can see your point mr magic re carl & perovic

if ever we blew a golden opportunity with player mismanagement (for want of a better word) was carl in 78

if we think 71 & 97 were flags let slip i'd put 78 above them for missed opportunities...the comp was shyting itself until we imploded internally & carl coping most of the blame from within & eventually walking out on us mid season..although he did get reported 3 times in as many weeks :lol:

if we could have kept carl in the zone we would have that flag by brut force alone...with the likes of carl,sidey,sarau,burns,joffa,mad dog to name a few no one would have been a match in the finals

from memory (which is fading)we lost 8 or 9 of our last 10 games & only missed making the 4 on % or 2 pts smashing carlton in the last game... imo flag lost cause we couldnt mould our 'personalities'

val perovic was an over reaction by lindsay fox trying to right the ship...shooting first before he saw who he was shooting at

although without fox we wouldnt have a footy club today

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

If it was that simple we would've won five flag's in the late 60's, because we had by far the best individual players

stinger
Saintsational Legend

rogerwa wrote:no

i was only pyssed off in his last game

perfect example...personality clash with thomas brought that about not his ability to play footy

gops ya pyss off...whether a gops a rocket scientist or a blockhead he's still just a gop

agree with your views in this thread.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Can't compare, things were different back then.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Pilgram wrote:agree with all those posts.
he's ours.

Why do you persist in saying that? Im pretty sure you have absolutely no facts to base that on. Know one knows. He is certainly FAR from a done deal just yet IMO.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

one flag in that period 65 to about 73 was a poor return with what we had...we had 3 bites at the cherry with 72 a lost chance by not getting their

imo from that era

2 flags in that period = pass
1 flag = failure

sure those that were around in those yrs are still scratching their head as to how we only managed to jag one flag

i know flags dont grow on trees but ya gotta grab what ya can when the opportunity presents

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

rogerwa wrote:one flag in that period 65 to about 73 was a poor return with what we had...we had 3 bites at the cherry with 72 a lost chance by not getting their

imo from that era

2 flags in that period = pass
1 flag = failure

sure those that were around in those yrs are still scratching their head as to how we only managed to jag one flag

i know flags dont grow on trees but ya gotta grab what ya can when the opportunity presents
speaking of grabbing what you can when the opertunity presents have we locked in our intent to take over the karalee again in 2009

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

reckon we just go where paul higgins goes trav
if he's still there we go there if he moves on we follow him

talking about the best fish & chips in town which can be had at the karalee why not come down with moccha & roo one night next week for a feed ...we can discuss the super stars or duds we have picked up in the draft

moccha i'll give you a call as to which night

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

yeah let us know when and ill see if i can come down for a brew or two and of course i cant go past a serve of the greatest fish and chips in Perth (you reckon all the plugs i give the Karalee for their fish and chips i would be getting a freebie some time soon :wink: )

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Recent sackings fom the great man manager also include Capuano and Lawrence. The first I'd agree with... the 2nd could've beena good player.

Gherig probably would have gone also, if he wasn't of such importance.

I reckon we were quick to pull the trigger on Spider and Hall. Hall was always going to be a champ, given the right mentoring. IMO.

Zero tolerance... "pigs".

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Jakes
Club Player

Players the ilk of Spider and to a lesser extent Barry Hall were gotten rid of/ mutually departed (whichever way you wish to look at it) to build the strong culture that allows us to take a problem case like Cousins.

Aaron Hamill even has said himself that whilst he believes that the Saints can handle taking Cousins now - they certainly could not have done so when he first joined at the end of 2000.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Jakes wrote:Players the ilk of Spider and to a lesser extent Barry Hall were gotten rid of/ mutually departed (whichever way you wish to look at it) to build the strong culture that allows us to take a problem case like Cousins.

Aaron Hamill even has said himself that whilst he believes that the Saints can handle taking Cousins now - they certainly could not have done so when he first joined at the end of 2000.
Fair call. But don't you think that the new coach and footy dept might also have a part in this?

F*** the culture and leadership... we'd have a few extra flags by now. :wink:

FWIW, both went on to play good footy for Hawks and Swans... under a different regime. So one can only wonder "what if".

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.