11th Hour Sponsors Reservations on Drafting Cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

starsign
Club Player

11th Hour Sponsors Reservations on Drafting Cousins

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

todays paper has Harve's declaring he'll be good for us, but Nixon pleading to give Ben a break on revelations that our sponsors hold 50/50 resevations on the drafting of Cousins....

What a saga!
Tough decisions for the board looming
We we ever get to see him in the R,W & B now??

Pilgram
Club Player

our major sponsor supplies bunnings warehouse .. what, are they going to sell less doors?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Pilgram wrote:our major sponsor supplies bunnings warehouse .. what, are they going to sell less doors?

possibly yes

St Michele
Club Player

How ridiculous, I have done many surveys over the years about sponsorship while working in market research and most people do not even know who sponsors for teams are.

I didn't even know Jeldwin supplies Bunnings till today.

I am sure many sponsors in their lives have come across people who need a break and a second chance, personally I would be more inclined to buy from a company who is compassionate and supports people when they are down than one who is just interested in making money.

Anyway I thought we as members should have a say in this not just the sponsors. Maybe they should have send a survey out about that to gaugue our opinion.

Bring on Ben I say!!!

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Ben may bring us a lot of negative press if he stuff up again but he may also bring us positive press for behaving and a flag. If we want to think positively this year and not have any self doubt and it starts with this board decision i think.

If our major sponsor blocks us getting Ben (and potentially a flag) i will never purchase their products willingly and will encourage other to likewise.

Jeld-Wen own Corinthian Doors, Stegbar , Regency Showers and a few other companies. They Sponsor a V8 Supercar SBR Ford team.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
StSteven
Club Player

And this is why we should walk away.....from the same article...

[Meanwhile, the chairman of the WA Football Commission, Neale Fong, has suggested that WA is better off without Cousins.

"I think it's probably better if he goes," Fong said.

"It's a huge distraction to football.

"The only news about football is Ben Cousins. There is more going on in football. From a selfish point of view it is a distraction and it would be an ongoing distraction (if he stayed in WA) because the media just love it. I am quite tired of it."
]

We will be like that in a short period of time.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

take anything fong says with a pinch of goat shyt

as australia's highest paid public servent (about 700000 g a yr) he rorted the system for his own benifit...got the arze yet still put his hand out for a payout figure that would make your head spin

lost his drivers licence yet continued to drive by rorting the system on a technicality

his wife got picked up for pissy driving & dear old fongy couldnt help himself,once again tried to rort the system & get her off on a technicality

what a tosser...happy to see his misses get picked up for pissy driving whilst he was in the car no doubt pissed himself...

classic case of high ethical moral grounds should apply to others but not to me

his name is mud & imo his views stand for jack chyt

jays
Club Player

they want him bad its a done deal we be a saint next year, its a bit funny how brisbane not going for him its because he is a saint its just media crap

realdeal
Club Player

this is geting crazy now.

maybe all these sponsers should've been on the committee to pick our coaches or be the ones to find our new training base. The players would love it if our sponsers could all give them a pre game rev up!

Like was mentioned previously, i'd rather these companies showed some compassion, as if people would stop buying products because they happen to support a footy team that's trying to do the right thing.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Cue middle ages women not going to Regency foir their next bathroom renovation.

What? Regency is a company owned by Jeld Wen?

Sponsors should pay - And not try and influence the decisions made by the board.

sainteronline

realdeal wrote:this is geting crazy now.

maybe all these sponsers should've been on the committee to pick our coaches or be the ones to find our new training base. The players would love it if our sponsers could all give them a pre game rev up!(something like,how when 1 door close anotheropens,no doubt)

Like was mentioned previously, i'd rather these companies showed some compassion, as if people would stop buying products because they happen to support a footy team that's trying to do the right thing.
sorry couldnt resist :oops:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Ask Hungry Jack's if they have sold any fewer burgers while sponsoring the West Coast Eagles
exactly. i've never known sponsors to complain about their team winning more games.

the most successful a club is, the more exposure they get.

i'd try to allay the sponsors' concerns by telling them that cousins will be undergoing rigorous drug testing throughout the season and he knows that it is one error and he's gone for good.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

rogerwa wrote:take anything fong says with a pinch of goat shyt

as australia's highest paid public servent (about 700000 g a yr) he rorted the system for his own benifit...got the arze yet still put his hand out for a payout figure that would make your head spin

lost his drivers licence yet continued to drive by rorting the system on a technicality

his wife got picked up for pissy driving & dear old fongy couldnt help himself,once again tried to rort the system & get her off on a technicality

what a tosser...happy to see his misses get picked up for pissy driving whilst he was in the car no doubt pissed himself...

classic case of high ethical moral grounds should apply to others but not to me

his name is mud & imo his views stand for jack chyt
Ur right. I don't think anyone listens to him anymore.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope Jeldwin has an open door policy toward Ben Cousins.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

sainteronline wrote:

maybe all these sponsers should've been on the committee to pick our coaches or be the ones to find our new training base. The players would love it if our sponsers could all give them a pre game rev up!(something like,how when 1 door close anotheropens,no doubt)

Premiership windows - now with safety glass!

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

This is almost turining into a case of sporting NIMBY (Not in my back yard) and it is a distraction as to whether BC is a risk for our team and what he could bring to the team and club if all goes well.

I think the sponsors should keep right out of the decision making, because do we really think they have anymore say about who is in the team than us the humble supporter?

Have any of the sponsors in team that have two strike players walked away? No, because they're happy to accept the accolades as long as
no-one admits to what is going on in the background and the flag is won.

If any St Kilda sponsors read these posts, please let it be known, you have no say at what goes on at team level.

StSteven
Club Player

I think the sponsors should keep right out of the decision making, because do we really think they have anymore say about who is in the team than us the humble supporter?
It is called the GOLDEN RULE...

He who has the gold rules........sponsors will always be first consideration...without them no club......we have been there before!

TAGHLAO
Club Player

30,000 members at at least $150 a year makes us the clubs biggest sponsor ($4.5m). I could care less about what the sponsors think, I want to win games of football and ultimately a premiership.

Draft Ben Cousins

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

this sponsorship issue is a complete furphy.
the only time a sponsor would make a complaint would be if the issue was in direct conflict with their corporate identity.
As in the tigers drink driving and their TAC sponsorship deal.
-constant bad press about a club could infuence a sponsor not to renew deals, but seriously I doubt if Emirates sat maguire down and gave him a good talking to.

Besides I think it is time that all the anti Cousins people (especially here at SS) be reminded that our club was involved with Street Mission. The way I see it, the Cousins situation is nothing more than putting our community spirit exactly where our mouth is.

Seeya
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Could be BF cr@p but this from "Brianspeaking" at Big footy.

"Ben Cousins will NOT play for St Kilda, its all done and dusted and will be confirmed by sources Tuesday evening, you heard it hear first. There is a 7 million dollar sponsorship at risk if he does."

Its all BF so who knows....time will tell I guess but if we were to pull out due to sponsor unrest you would have to ask whether Jeld Wen are just now following the media herd and why they didnt announce this position months ago prior to us expending the countless hrs/resources toward due dilligence?

IMO Jeld Wen have an opportunity to demonstrate they are a company prepared to stand behind their brand and give people another shot. Sure, your allowed to be nervous.....but dont just do what Mazda and Co do and run......besides whose not gonna buy one of their doors cause of Benc Cousins FFS....

“Yeah….nah””
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Ask Hungry Jack's if they have sold any fewer burgers while sponsoring the West Coast Eagles
exactly. i've never known sponsors to complain about their team winning more games.

the most successful a club is, the more exposure they get.

i'd try to allay the sponsors' concerns by telling them that cousins will be undergoing rigorous drug testing throughout the season and he knows that it is one error and he's gone for good.
I do remember Mortgage House cracking the sooks after the 04 or 05 season when they had to pay out a performance bonus they had in place that they never thaught the would need to pay because at the time they signed up we were the dogs bollocks.

I thaught it was a load of horse sh!t then and I still do now. Bear in mind that Brisbane (and we might) have missed out on an elite player because a sponsor had a cry. I could not honestly care what corperate name appears on our gear ill buy it anyway and I wouldnt buy a sponsors product just because they appear on our jumper

The fact that in the current "economic crisis" clubs are hard up to find a sponsor (let arlone replace one) so the must bow to the request of one makes me sick

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

spin spin spin

imo some soponcers are pushing their limitationa too far on what grounds would a sponcer have to reneg on a contract ? by drafting Ben are we damaging the brand ? are we bringing their company name into disrepute ?

i would think for a company to pull their sponsorship they would require a legit reason and seeing as though as a saint Ben has done nothing wrong where would the grounds be for a sponcer to walk ??

imo the sponcer in question has put forth a warning that IF Ben stuffs up and brings a negative light on the sponcers name then they will walk ... the media get hold of this and spin spin spin to make it a major news item

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

What's this f***ing 'brand' everyone keeps talking about??

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:What's this f***ing 'brand' everyone keeps talking about??
its just like robert wall's asking harvey what the fremantle dockers stand for...

its a football club and a business ipshit...not some market tool-brand...thing

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
sainteronline

cowboy18 wrote:
sainteronline wrote:

Premiership windows - now with safety glass!
and if jeldwen did pull out we could say

dont let the door hit you on the .....,you know the rest :D