banger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

banger

i heard/read somewhere that banger wanted to play cricket this summer and would be interested in seeing how he goes.

has anyone heard if he's still going to do it, or do his carlton commitments mean he will not have the time now?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

In his book he said he wanted to get back to it after footy...

As for his Carlton commitments, he is only working part time so it shouldn't really interrupt... But knowing Harvey he will probably work full time and weekends....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
battye
Saintsational Legend

Re: banger

bigcarl wrote:i heard/read somewhere that banger wanted to play cricket this summer and would be interested in seeing how he goes.

has anyone heard if he's still going to do it, or do his carlton commitments mean he will not have the time now?
He's part of a 13 man squad for the Brisbane Test. He should be able to scrape in ahead of Watson and Krezja.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i heard/read somewhere that banger wanted to play cricket this summer and would be interested in seeing how he goes.

He's part of a 13 man squad for the Brisbane Test. He should be able to scrape in ahead of Watson and Krezja.
:lol: he probably would go all right.

that krezja is all right but needs to work a bit on his variety.

he only has the two deliveries at present ... the tonking ball and the wicket ball.

battye
Saintsational Legend

:lol:

Krezja at least has one more variation than White, who's out of ideas after the straight-un.

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="bigcarl"]

that krezja is all right but needs to work a bit on his variety.

he only has the two deliveries at present ... the tonking ball and the wicket ball.[/quote]

Just needs to bowl the wicket ball more often and forget about bowling the tonkng ball altogether.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
stmac35
Club Player

how come we're talking about krezja now?
and is harves just a plain fast-bowler?
it'd be fantastic if he did make some kind of representative side though.

THE GREAT MAN - ROBERT HARVEY
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

stmac35 wrote: and is harves just a plain fast-bowler?
left arm fast medium I think and he does a bit with the ball. was very promising before he decided on football as a career.

given his all-round ball skills and pedigree, i'd say he'd be a useful batsman, too. his great uncle, neil, is considered one of australia's greatest.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
left arm fast medium I think and he does a bit with the ball. was very promising before he decided on football as a career.

given his all-round ball skills and pedigree, i'd say he'd be a useful batsman, too. his great uncle, neil, is considered one of australia's greatest.
I've noticed that Harvs is left handed and right footed which is fairly unique. The only other person I can remember who had these attributes is David Williams who played for Melbourne in the early 90's !! I think Fraser is the opposite, right handed and left footed

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I've noticed that Harvs is left handed and right footed which is fairly unique. The only other person I can remember who had these attributes is David Williams who played for Melbourne in the early 90's !! I think Fraser is the opposite, right handed and left footed
harvs used to bounce it left handed and kick it right footed and his two-sidedness was one of the things that must have made it easy for him to wrong foot opponents.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 16 Nov 2008 7:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Harvs writes with his left hand, Fraser with his right !!

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

If Harves plays cricket this season it will most likely be at Baxter Cricket Club in the MPCA where his brother Steve currently plays and where Rob played his junior cricket before moving on to Fitzroy. Robs father Jeff coached Baxter in the early 80's and his uncle Graeme also played there during the same period.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Harves made the Victorian under 17 side. From memory he took 5 wickets in his last premier cricket apperance.
I'm also pretty sure that Nicky Winmar was a left hander who kicked with his right foot.

battye
Saintsational Legend

stmac35 wrote:how come we're talking about krezja now?
and is harves just a plain fast-bowler?
it'd be fantastic if he did make some kind of representative side though.
Craig Bradley played First Class cricket (for Victoria and South Australia I believe) in the early 80's, probably one of the last sportsmen to claim the AFL/First Class double.

It's highly unlikely at 37/38 that Harvey will get the opportunity to make his First Class debut. Could get a shot at Twenty20, should Victoria go down the same path as New South Wales who played some rugby player (that failed though).

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:It's highly unlikely at 37/38 that Harvey will get the opportunity to make his First Class debut.
don't write him off. it's banger :wink: :D

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:If Harves plays cricket this season it will most likely be at Baxter Cricket Club in the MPCA where his brother Steve currently plays and where Rob played his junior cricket before moving on to Fitzroy. Robs father Jeff coached Baxter in the early 80's and his uncle Graeme also played there during the same period.
thanks fqf, i'll keep an eye on it

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:If Harves plays cricket this season it will most likely be at Baxter Cricket Club in the MPCA where his brother Steve currently plays and where Rob played his junior cricket before moving on to Fitzroy. Robs father Jeff coached Baxter in the early 80's and his uncle Graeme also played there during the same period.
thanks fqf, i'll keep an eye on it
I'll post here if it's likely to happen.

Cosmo Kramer

Played against Harvs when he played for Frankston in Sub District a long tinme ago and he was pretty sharp. Left arm skidder but could not bat.

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

battye wrote:

That would give Plonker Hodge something else to moan about. :roll: :roll:

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
stmac35
Club Player

Played against Harvs when he played for Frankston in Sub District a long tinme ago and he was pretty sharp. Left arm skidder but could not bat.
and with his heritage... you'd think he'd be a batsman.

THE GREAT MAN - ROBERT HARVEY
HarveysDeciple

Eastern wrote:Harvs writes with his left hand, Fraser with his right !!
sounds like me....

left hand handballer, right foot kick.

left arm bowler, righ hand batsmen.

right arm golf swing, left handed writer.

But can't do any on both sides lol.

ctqs
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Riewoldt is another one - left handed, right footed. I have a brother who is also like that (right hand/left foot, that is, not a blonde CHF for an AFL team, despite what he thinks)

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.