Brad Howard training?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Brad Howard training?

With BH training we must be looking at either re drafting or as a rookie, obvious I know, but it raises a question as to the mysterious 2 year contract.

If he did sign a contract and we paid him out and delisted him, I think the money is included in this year's TPP not next years'.

This could further explain creating some room in the TPP for Cuz...obviously not loads given what BH would be on....

I enjoy conspiracy theories.... :wink: :wink: :)

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

it would be very clever to have the available dosh to pay howard out on the two year deal to free up money for cousins and carroll

maybe at the time howard was signed both of the above players were not on the horizon...or foreseeable

to pay him out and then get him as a rookie makes howard a rich boy

he might be thanking big benny c if he goes on and has a good career after all...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

I have been away for 2 weeks.

i thought brad howard had been signed for 2 years?
Last edited by saintly on Tue 18 Nov 2008 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Clearly the idea was to cut him and redraft him as a rookie.

Nobody will pick him up with a 2 year contract.

Still have no idea what is going on, as he will never make it.

Sandringham will have a serviceable player this year to go with Caroll.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Clearly the idea was to cut him and redraft him as a rookie.

Look on the bright side... you now have 2 other players to take your focus off Kosi :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
henno
Club Player

yeh but uve got to remember that mcq was delisted with a year remaining on his contract
that was why we were forced to rookie him last year

Cosmo Kramer

Howard is still on the list,he was never delisted.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Clearly the idea was to cut him and redraft him as a rookie.

Look on the bright side... you now have 2 other players to take your focus off Kosi :lol:
Kosi is a man who is essential to the future of the St Kilda Football Club.

I don't see Howard or Carroll being in that position.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand this comment...

Surely if another club picks Howard up, the Saints would have to pay a large chunk of that 2 year deal???

But, if he is training with us I feel sure he will be rookied

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
cowboy66

Peeps Howard was NEVER delisted...he is still on our list as a player, not a rookie..that explains why he is still training...cos he is still employed by the STKFC.

Cowboy rox
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

cowboy66 wrote:Peeps Howard was NEVER delisted...he is still on our list as a player, not a rookie..that explains why he is still training...cos he is still employed by the STKFC.
Going by this article on the AFL website he was delisted.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/ ... wsId=69795

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

He has nominated for the draft, he has certainly been delisted. Whether its a temporary, permanent delisting or a de-elevation to the rookie list remains to be seen.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Will be picked up by us as a rookie for next year. Was obviously delisted so we could get Carroll next year which IMO is a huge mistake. Trouble with a capital d**khead.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

just a question for any lawyers, player managers, or AFL players who have had contract.
Would it be possible that a multi year contract may have an escape clause written in that would enable a club to reduce the length and cost of terminating. Something like after serving 50% of the length of the term, the club can terminate service at 40-50-60% of the player payment.
Just a thought,

Seeya
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

sunsaint wrote:just a question for any lawyers, player managers, or AFL players who have had contract.
Would it be possible that a multi year contract may have an escape clause written in that would enable a club to reduce the length and cost of terminating. Something like after serving 50% of the length of the term, the club can terminate service at 40-50-60% of the player payment.
Just a thought,
The CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement - it can be viewed here http://aflpa.com.au/sites/all/files/AFL ... _FINAL.pdf) between the AFLPA and the AFL, dictates structures such as bonuses, clauses, options etc.

I believe the relevant section can be found on page 91.

From a quick scan, I believe the summary relevant to Howard would be:
- Howard is entitled to his base payments for the entire term of the contract (2 years)
- Howard is entitled to 22 match payments next year based on his VFL match payment level.

If he's drafted by someone else, they will need to take on (at least) the outstanding match payments.

UNLESS

There was a specific termination agreement between Howard and the club.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
sunsaint wrote:just a question for any lawyers, player managers, or AFL players who have had contract.
Just a thought,
The CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement - it can be viewed here http://aflpa.com.au/sites/all/files/AFL ... _FINAL.pdf) between the AFLPA and the AFL, dictates structures such as bonuses, clauses, options etc.

- Howard is entitled to his base payments for the entire term of the contract (2 years)
- Howard is entitled to 22 match payments next year based on his VFL match payment level.

If he's drafted by someone else, they will need to take on (at least) the outstanding match payments.

UNLESS

There are no match payments for playing in he VFL. He will get all of his contract as a senior player for the next 2 years even though he will only be a rookie.

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="cowboy66"]Peeps Howard was NEVER delisted...he is still on our list as a player, not a rookie..that explains why he is still training...cos he is still employed by the STKFC.[/quote]

Howard's name was removed from the senior list submitted 14 November but his name did not appear among the deletions under delisted. :? :? :?

Check it out at http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/ ... wsId=69788

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Just a thought,

UNLESS

There are no match payments for playing in he VFL. He will get all of his contract as a senior player for the next 2 years even though he will only be a rookie.
No? I really have no idea about this, but the CBA states they must be paid according to the level most recently played, so I inferred VFL player payments. Perhaps the intended implication is that there's only payments if their most recent game was AFL.

Regardless, you wouldn't think they'd be large enough to prevent anyone genuinely interested.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford