Cousins Eligible for 2009 - With Saints Response

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jays
Club Player

first hurdle down one to go

st_nick
Club Player

BelfastSaint wrote:Saints have issued a statement to say They are pleased with the decision re Ben Cousins but would continue to pursue due diligence etc etc and would be making no further statement at this time ...
I honestly don't think I've heard the term 'due diligence' used so many times in the space of one week. If I read one more press release or hear one more interview where someone from the club mentions 'due diligence', I am going to pursue due diligence on taking out St Kilda's media relations dept.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

st_nick wrote:
BelfastSaint wrote:Saints have issued a statement to say They are pleased with the decision re Ben Cousins but would continue to pursue due diligence etc etc and would be making no further statement at this time ...
I honestly don't think I've heard the term 'due diligence' used so many times in the space of one week. If I read one more press release or hear one more interview where someone from the club mentions 'due diligence', I am going to pursue due diligence on taking out St Kilda's media relations dept.

I nealry rang SEN about this today! If I hear it one more time, Im busting out another well worn phrase...ILL SPEW UP! Stop it already!!! :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Sainterman
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
markinUSA wrote:The way I read the statement from the AFL, it said he CAN have tests three times a week, not that he WILL have tests three times a week. In other words, there MAY be weeks when they come back more than once, and he is on notice that that MAY happen, but I'd suspect it probably won't... not every week at least.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not. But that was the way I read their statement.
I agree, I read it in a similar way to you...that he may have "up to" so many tests a week.
Why the need for so many tests. don't the hair tests show substances for a few months anyway?

Not like he could turn around and take something a day after a urine test, then get away with it....a little confused by the 3 times a week condition.

Seems like the AFL trying to look hard line again....even if it is inconsistent with their own drug policy! Then again, they do make the rules as they go...

Perhaps they should also think about testing more than just the same few players at each club too...

Pilgram
Club Player

st_nick wrote:I honestly don't think I've heard the term 'due diligence' used so many times in the space of one week...
I noticed that Eugene Arocca has borrowed the expression of late .. diligently :P

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Cousins vows to play.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html

In his first public statement since the AFL announced yesterday that he could return as long as he submitted to extensive drug testing, Cousins said he was expecting to be picked up by an AFL club.

I feel that we are now unbackable favourites.

BC09

Saintschampions08
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:Cousins vows to play.

In his first public statement since the AFL announced yesterday that he could return as long as he submitted to extensive drug testing, Cousins said he was expecting to be picked up by an AFL club.

BC09
I'm not so sure about us being unbackable favourites...

If Cousins says he wants to play for us, then yes..we are.

But if he doesn't nominate us - Brisbane are in a far better position than us to pick him up in either the PSD or the National Draft.

--

Though i think Cousin's is a champ for accepting it and not disputing the conditions, the conditions are a f****** joke.

It generally takes longer then a week for drugs to clear your system, doing 3 urine tests a week is overkill. It's like making someone resit their driving test 3 times a week to make sure they still know how to drive.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:

BC09

But if he doesn't nominate us - Brisbane are in a far better position than us to pick him up in either the PSD or the National Draft.
The fact Cousin's is confident he will be picked up, despite not yet talking officially with Brisbane suggests that the club he is expecting to join has already undertaken, dare I say it, due diligence.
Last edited by SaintBot on Wed 19 Nov 2008 5:18pm, edited 2 times in total.

undecided
Club Player

BC09
i dont know how we could be unbackable favourites seeing brisbane still havnt ruled them selves out

if BC goes into the ND i think we will get him just b/c brisbane havnt even talked to him yet and i dont think they will make a rushed decission. but if he goes into the PSD, i think brisbane will probaly end up with him

Saintschampions08
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:

BC09

The fact Cousin's is confident he will be picked up, despite not yet talking officially with Brisbane suggests that the club he is expecting to join has already undertaken, dare I say it, due diligence.
He's confident because he knows we will....but that doesn't mean someone else won't before us.

undecided
Club Player

Saintschampions08 wrote:
SaintBot wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:

BC09

He's confident because he knows we will....but that doesn't mean someone else won't before us.

and brisbane seem to be getting more srious by the day

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

undecided wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
SaintBot wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:

BC09

and brisbane seem to be getting more srious by the day
Brisbane may want him, but as I read it Cousins is already expecting to be selected by a club and considering the Lions are yet to have any sorts of official talks with him he couldn't possibly feel confident about being picked up by them. You can be as sure as hell Brisbane and any other club won't select him against his wishes.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

So he's been given until next Wednesday to nominate for the ND...which he said he will.

So if he's going to be in the ND, imo - that improves our chances. I doubt Brisbane will be using anything better then a R4 or maybe R5 pick on him....whereas i would think we would be more inclined to use a R3 pick.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I stand to be corrected, but I am pretty sure that Brisbane has 7 picks in the ND and PSD while we have 6 picks.

If the Club really wants BC, I would suggest that the Club would take him in the ND, otherwise Brisbane would pick him up before us in the PSD

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
undecided
Club Player

Saintschampions08 wrote:So he's been given until next Wednesday to nominate for the ND...which he said he will.

So if he's going to be in the ND, imo - that improves our chances. I doubt Brisbane will be using anything better then a R4 or maybe R5 pick on him....whereas i would think we would be more inclined to use a R3 pick.
when did he say he was going to nominate for the ND????

Saintschampions08
Club Player

undecided wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:So he's been given until next Wednesday to nominate for the ND...which he said he will.

when did he say he was going to nominate for the ND????
The AFL gave him till next Wednesday (an extension) to nominate for the ND if he wanted.

He didn't say he was going to, but i don't see why he wouldn't..

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

i think his dad will have a say in were he goes.