Would Carroll Really be that bad?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Image

For those who haven't seen the new Carroll
At least he now looks like a footballer, not something out of the Gay leather scene.

Ask yourself a question. Can the Saints win the competition next season?

If your answer is yes, you can understand why Carroll is being looked at.

If the answer is no, it is the wrong decision (as is Cousins, and as was Dempster, Schneider, King and Gardiner last year, as was Gardiner and Birss the year before.

Our defence is really a weak spot, especially now Dempster is out for the year and Goose is an unknown proposition. If Max goes down so does any chance of winning the flag.

If we want to win the flag we must bolster the defence. We cant do that with an 18 y.o from the draft. Only way is to get a fullback either in trade (and probably give up a first round pick which was never going to be traded) or PSD with someone out of contract. So Carroll was the only option for an experienced backman. Allen is not an option, either is Gwilt. Blake has done very well off a HBF and Max is still going strong. Gilbo and Fisher are Ok but not someone who can play a key position.

With those players around him and him picking up the second or third forward, he may be productive for us.

Obviously RL thinks we can win a flag with our core group and with additions of someone like Cousins and Carroll. Ray may provide some run and with improvements from Ball and Jones and Armo, the gaping holes exploited by Geelong and the Hawks in the finals may be filled.

If you think we should be rebuilding...well it is a wasted pick. I tend to go with the coach.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:Arnt we all forgetting his problems with Melb ?

Ok we may get him cheap , but isnt he potentially disruptive ?
this comment comes out with every player we look at who has a dodgy past lets get serious her the players at our club are all men in their own rights they make their own decisions on what they do and dont do in their personal lives to think one player comming to the club would change the values of a collective playing group to the wrong side your really selling our boys short .. they are not sheep they wont blindly follow the bad egg in fact the collective would help keep the player in question in line not vice versa ......

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Batnoe

I am actually starting to get used to the idea of having Carrol play for the saints... am not against it, will be handy for us, wont have to be our number 1 defender which might suit his style of play

I like cult heroes, that is why Gehrig was so cool. If Carroll did it in the right way i am sure we will appreciate what he does with his hair....

If he plays good footy for us, he can get a tatoo across his face and i wouldnt care... if he plays crap well then he can get stuffed...

Ps- he is looking fitter which is good

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

melbourne are a basket case. so its harsh to judge him on his time there. he looks fit. i reckon hed be ok. but id like to see his scores on fitness, speed and agility before i made a call.

the wuestion is what do u we have to give for him?

if we get him in the preseason draft then its a no brainer for me. Id take him for sure. guaranteed to get 12-16 games out of him in 09 and 10.

but i would not give a pick under 50 for him in the National draft.

Batnoe

Con Gorozidis wrote:melbourne are a basket case. so its harsh to judge him on his time there. he looks fit. i reckon hed be ok. but id like to see his scores on fitness, speed and agility before i made a call.

the wuestion is what do u we have to give for him?

if we get him in the preseason draft then its a no brainer for me. Id take him for sure. guaranteed to get 12-16 games out of him in 09 and 10.

but i would not give a pick under 50 for him in the National draft.

Me exactly, i dont think we will be competing with anyone to get him. We could get both Cousins and Carrol in PSD assuming we dont pick up our quota on national draft in which case probably not a bad idea to pick one of them at pick 90 in the draft so we can focus on only one pick in PSD

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

I believe Carroll's salary is being paid by Melbourne and is included in their cap, so what do we have to lose by picking him late in the draft?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

IMHO even if he only plays as a pure back up or in an injury crisis he would be well worth a look. Experianced players (especially tall defenders) seem to be hard to come by recently.

If he cleans up his act and his hair (which he apparently has done) and makes a good account of himself during training he would be worth a punt

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:I believe Carroll's salary is being paid by Melbourne and is included in their cap, so what do we have to lose by picking him late in the draft?
yeah i think that is the case. melbourne will pick up half his wage.
pick 90 or the PSD is fine by me. as long as we use our first 3 ND picks on kids im happy.

makemytime
Club Player

are there unlimited picks for the psd as long as the club is willing?

and is it even remotely possible that we will get birss back?