Saints and Kingston City Council reach agreement

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Media
Club Player

Saints and Kingston City Council reach agreement

The signing of a much anticipated Agreement between Kingston Council and the St Kilda Football Club providing for the demolition of old Moorabbin Reserve grandstands and the renovation of Club facilities prior to the Saints relocation to Frankston was announced today in the presence of Victorian Minister for Sport and Recreation, James Merlino MP.

CLICK HERE FOR THE ARTICLE: http://saints.com.au/Season2008/News/Ne ... wsId=69738

CLICK HERE FOR THE SAINTS CENTRAL VIDEO: http://www.saintscentral.com.au/Detail.aspx?id=608

Last edited by Saints Media on Thu 13 Nov 2008 12:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Marcus
Club Player

A sad day, I loved the old girl. Sat in the same seat for 5 years

Hope I can get to buy my seat in Bay 13. My partner (blues supporter) did when they demolised the Heatley stand at PP this year. Its now in our back yard, I want equal rights with a Moorabbin seat. The seats were still in pretty good nick when I sat in my old seat during training in 2006.

Also hope the club will do something to farewell the old girl. Anyone got any suggestions. Even if it is just a BBQ and quick training session. I would certainly go

Cheers

Mark

sabras
Club Player

why is the club investing in this if they are moving so soon afterwards?

Surely they can leave as is for one more year?????

Am I missing something?

GrumpyOne

sabras wrote:why is the club investing in this if they are moving so soon afterwards?

Am I missing something?
You are missing the fact that Kingston Council has a long memory and is capable of playing some dirty pool.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

St Marcus wrote:
Hope I can get to buy my seat in Bay 13. My partner (blues supporter) did when they demolised the Heatley stand at PP this year. Its now in our back yard, I want equal rights with a Moorabbin seat. The seats were still in pretty good nick when I sat in my old seat during training in 2006.
Just go down and grab it. Take a screwdriver with you.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

sabras wrote:why is the club investing in this if they are moving so soon afterwards?

Am I missing something?
exactly.

A crap media report by us.

Wow!

how exciting....we get to fork out friggin $200K for two years useage of training facility.

Well Topsy, go get farked!

What a joke.

How about this as a compromise - we (the club) gets to sell all the seats, and whatever we get (assuming less than 200K) goes to towards the costs of the project, with the stupid council picking up the shortfall.

Cut the spin Archie!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'll never be comfortable about leaving Moorabbin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking to the future and understand why etc, etc.

But I have a feeling that in 20-30 years, when clubs have grown financially to the point where they are looking to develop boutique stadiums where exclusive revenue streams exist - as is the case for Geelong - we might regret not having a place like Moorabbin that not only can serve a licence to print money but also a spiritual home.

Just feel like the whole situation was handled poorly from the start and for all the upside, there's some questions that remain unanswered going forward.

My two cents.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Duggie1
Club Player

Since leaving Melbourne in '57 I have occasionally visited Linton Street mainly out of nostalgia and have wandered up to te seat where my Dad and I sat for many years following the move to Moorabbin.
In the previous era it was the Junction Oval but years ago they changed that too.
March On! Saints! :lol:

Always a Saint
GrumpyOne

Duggie1 wrote:Since leaving Melbourne in '57 I have occasionally visited Linton Street mainly out of nostalgia and have wandered up to te seat where my Dad and I sat for many years following the move to Moorabbin.
In the previous era it was the Junction Oval but years ago they changed that too.
March On! Saints! :lol:
Hi Duggie,

Just a question, if you left Melb in '57, how could you have watched the Saints at Moorabbin?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

You couldnt arrange a more cosmic aligned serious of f*** ups if you tried, than what has occured for us to be actually leaving moorabbin. Not all of them in our control either, but.....it sucks.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I know its pointless to leave it there. But in my opinion it will be a sad day for our club when the bulldozers go in. Does anyone have any photos?

Qld Saints Supporter Group
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:You couldnt arrange a more cosmic aligned serious of f*** ups if you tried, than what has occured for us to be actually leaving moorabbin. Not all of them in our control either, but.....it sucks.
Agreed....A monumental failure... :cry:

St Marcus
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:I know its pointless to leave it there. But in my opinion it will be a sad day for our club when the bulldozers go in. Does anyone have any photos?
St Bev
Good selection of photos in todays Hun, just click on the photo of Adam Schneider in front of the ground and about 18 photos come up

Also I have a great wide angle photo of the ground as my screensaver at work which I got off the internet, I think from Westof Moorabbin or another Saints fan site (sorry was 2-3 years ago), have tried to copy and paste for you but no luck. It was of the last game against Fitzroy in 92.

Cheers

Mark

Duggie1
Club Player

Thanks Grumpy. Yes a bit of a gap in my story.
I moved to Canberra and at every opportunity went back. On those occasions a relo always let me have a seat next to my Dad. I have kept my membership alive .
Actually I was at the '66 GF then missed the big one the next year.
In recent years my visits have been confined to Anzac week when I rejoin my mates but the AFL has not been very helpful in playing Saints in Melbourne the last couple of years as I recall so I have not stayed over.
Cheers
:lol:

Always a Saint
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

St Marcus wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:I know its pointless to leave it there. But in my opinion it will be a sad day for our club when the bulldozers go in. Does anyone have any photos?
St Bev
Good selection of photos in todays Hun, just click on the photo of Adam Schneider in front of the ground and about 18 photos come up

Also I have a great wide angle photo of the ground as my screensaver at work which I got off the internet, I think from Westof Moorabbin or another Saints fan site (sorry was 2-3 years ago), have tried to copy and paste for you but no luck. It was of the last game against Fitzroy in 92.

Cheers

I have a small one of the last game. But with todays paper when I go on the Saints page there is no photo of Schneider. Can someone put up a link. Thanks.

Mark

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

it's the age- Realfooty.com.au
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 41024.html

and it's the series of photos about moorabbin that they ahve had up for some time but linked through the photo.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/photogaller ... 51520.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
casey scorp
Club Player

There is a familiar ring to the agreement. According to the Kingston Council website, the funding for the grandstand removal and the renovation of the Huggins Stand is to be:

In the order of $900,000 is anticipated to be spent on the works that include a $500,000 commitment from the State Government, $200,000 from Council and the balance from the St Kilda Football Club.

http://www.kingston.vic.gov.au/page/pag ... ge_Id=2388

According to the Frankston Council website, the costs of Belvedere Park are to be met:

The project will be funded by four parties including the State Government ($3.45M), Frankston City Council ($3M), AFL ($2.55M) and the St Kilda Football Club ($1.43M, plus all additional costs).

All costs over-runs on both projects are to be a St KFC responsibility. I hope the QSs are estimating better than the Frankston Park debacle.

casey scorp
Club Player

I thought I remembered something about a higher cost for removal of the grandstand:

From the thread “Kingston Council closes Moorabbin Grandstand!â€

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:I'll never be comfortable about leaving Moorabbin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking to the future and understand why etc, etc.

But I have a feeling that in 20-30 years, when clubs have grown financially to the point where they are looking to develop boutique stadiums where exclusive revenue streams exist - as is the case for Geelong - we might regret not having a place like Moorabbin that not only can serve a licence to print money but also a spiritual home.

Just feel like the whole situation was handled poorly from the start and for all the upside, there's some questions that remain unanswered going forward.

My two cents.
Again, a typical everton post - beautifully thought out, and articulated nicely. I agree with your sentiments, and think that clubs will look at developing their own boutique stadiums to increase their revenue streams.

The Saints are coming!
casey scorp
Club Player

True Blue Sainter wrote:I agree with your sentiments, and think that clubs will look at developing their own boutique stadiums to increase their revenue streams.
I don't think that clubs (plural) will look at building their own boutique stadiums. At a cost of $60 million each, that would be way too much investment for the returns.

However, the AFL is looking at a 3rd stadium for Melbourne - a boutique stadium for low drawing matches involving poorer drawing interstate teams. There's a particular site which ticks the boxes.

It will have a primary tenant, and other visiting home teams. We will be a mere visitor.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:I agree with your sentiments, and think that clubs will look at developing their own boutique stadiums to increase their revenue streams.

It will have a primary tenant, and other visiting home teams. We will be a mere visitor.
You're not referring to the 'primary tennant' who is trying to get the AFL and State Government to arrange for them to be located in teh 'proposed new' roof over the railyards connecting the MCG with teh Olympic Precinct are you?

I'm pretty certain that they've now shown that they are only interested in Casey as a 'summer training facility and view their 'long term home' at the MCG and its surrounds. Once they get what they want they'll find a way to exit themselves from whatever Casey deal they finally signed.

casey scorp
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:You're not referring to the 'primary tennant' who is trying to get the AFL and State Government to arrange for them to be located in teh 'proposed new' roof over the railyards connecting the MCG with teh Olympic Precinct are you?

I'm pretty certain that they've now shown that they are only interested in Casey as a 'summer training facility and view their 'long term home' at the MCG and its surrounds. Once they get what they want they'll find a way to exit themselves from whatever Casey deal they finally signed.
I'm pretty sure we're talking one and the same:

http://cranbourne-leader.whereilive.com ... ey-fields/
Cranbourne Leader wrote: The Demons are also pushing for more AFL games to be staged at Casey Fields, after a successful NAB Regional Challenge Match between Melbourne and North Melbourne in March.

“The next focus will be to get televised NAB games out here in the next few years,â€

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:You're not referring to the 'primary tennant' who is trying to get the AFL and State Government to arrange for them to be located in teh 'proposed new' roof over the railyards connecting the MCG with teh Olympic Precinct are you?

I'm pretty sure we're talking one and the same:

http://cranbourne-leader.whereilive.com ... ey-fields/
Cranbourne Leader wrote: The Demons are also pushing for more AFL games to be staged at Casey Fields, after a successful NAB Regional Challenge Match between Melbourne and North Melbourne in March.

“The next focus will be to get televised NAB games out here in the next few years,â€

casey scorp
Club Player

I provided the link to the Cranbourne Leader article so you could see for yourself what the paper was saying.

Bear in mind that my comments are in response to an earlier post suggesting that clubs (plural) will look at building their own boutique stadiums, and my initial comment was that there would probably only be one boutique stadium built in Melbourne.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:I provided the link to the Cranbourne Leader article so you could see for yourself what the paper was saying.

Bear in mind that my comments are in response to an earlier post suggesting that clubs (plural) will look at building their own boutique stadiums, and my initial comment was that there would probably only be one boutique stadium built in Melbourne.
I understand that, but my questions still remain.

You and the rest of the Casey proponents are 'hanging your hat' on the MFC being 'the Club' to finally 'show some foresight' and see the benefits of Casey. All I'm asking is have they signed a/the contract and, if so, what are their contractual requirements?
Also, do you really believe that if they achieve their desired option of MCG/Olympic Precinct they will not find a way tro remove themselves from Casey before this supposed 30 year arrangement (or is 10/10/10) is up?