Brisbane Lions to move on Cousins - The Age (Caro Wilson)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Brisbane Lions to move on Cousins - The Age (Caro Wilson)

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/20 ... 84084.html

Seems they're still interested.

Surely we're front runners though.

I mean really - Brisbane or Melbourne Benny?

Here's hoping location gets us over the line. So to speak.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

surely we won't get him that easily, there has to be a spanner in the works

the brisbane younger players are little s***s, they won't assist him become a better person etc etc been said all before

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
St Igmata
Club Player

Whoever drafts first him gets him .
Brisbane are in a better position ,if they want him.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I would imagine that the AFL is pushing this idea pretty hard, but it is not in Brisbane's best interests IMO.

Brisbane is clearly still at the early stage of a rebuilding process: all of their current star players are in their late twenties or older, even their better GOPs are in their mid-twenties or older.

The sensible thing for Voss to do is to focus on the draft and rookies for a couple of seasons and build up a core of young talent to learn from Black, Brown, Power and Bradshaw and to take the club forward.

The crazy thing to do would be to bring in an iffy star player of a similar age to their other stars. Even if Cousins returns to his form of a few seasons ago, I don't think Brisbane will have the depth of talent to challenge for a flag over the next 2-3 years. So recruiting him would be a waste of money and effort.

But what a godsend Cousins as a Lion would be in terms of publicity for AFL in South-East Queensland. The very fact that Brisbane are, IMO, at least 5 years away from their next serious challenge for a flag means that crowds and media interest will remain low in Brisbane for a while to come. But, meanwhile, the AFL is looking to launch a second team up there.

The ongoing soap opera that Cousins would supply would be just the injection of publicity the AFL needs. But I also think that he would be a distraction that Voss and the Lions desperately don't need.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Not good for us. I still reckon we'll get him but we might now be forced to use a higher pick, which does make the investment just that little bit more risky. (As if it wasn't already risky enough)

I think the problem is Voss has a bit of a messiah complex, possibly due to his naivity in the job. He thinks he can rebuild Brisbane and he thinks he can turn Ben's life around. Good luck to him if he can but with so much to learn and adjust to as a first-year coach (with no apprenticeship) I don't you need to deal with this on top.

Of course this is all just coming from two strong beliefs I have.

1. I want Ben Cousins at St Kilda
2. Michael Voss is all corporate motivation speak and has no idea how to coach.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

will come down to who he wants to play for. No reason for brisbane to select him (big risk as it is) if he wants elsewhere.

Congrats on the smart move of getting himself out of the spotlight until the comission has made their decision. Sounds like he has passed all the tests. But who knows what the AFL might pin on his comeback, might scare all clubs away.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:Not good for us. I still reckon we'll get him but we might now be forced to use a higher pick, which does make the investment just that little bit more risky. (As if it wasn't already risky enough)

I think the problem is Voss has a bit of a messiah complex, possibly due to his naivity in the job. He thinks he can rebuild Brisbane and he thinks he can turn Ben's life around. Good luck to him if he can but with so much to learn and adjust to as a first-year coach (with no apprenticeship) I don't you need to deal with this on top.

mvoss could turn out to be just like mknights...all talk...all whoosey corporate talk about how they are looking for positiveness meaningwhile coming across as not having the slightest of clues

it still befuddles me that knights delisted tom hislop, delisting him won't achieve anything as its obvious he will go to another club, probably learn nothing from the experience and make the same mistakes again

keeping him at the club will give him a much better chance and opportunity at turning his off-field traits around that got him in this mess in the first place

very whoosey decision from a nothing player and thus far a nothing coach

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
B W and R all over wrote:Not good for us. I still reckon we'll get him but we might now be forced to use a higher pick, which does make the investment just that little bit more risky. (As if it wasn't already risky enough)

mvoss could turn out to be just like mknights...all talk...all whoosey corporate talk about how they are looking for positiveness meaningwhile coming across as not having the slightest of clues

it still befuddles me that knights delisted tom hislop, delisting him won't achieve anything as its obvious he will go to another club, probably learn nothing from the experience and make the same mistakes again

keeping him at the club will give him a much better chance and opportunity at turning his off-field traits around that got him in this mess in the first place

very whoosey decision from a nothing player and thus far a nothing coach
I reckon you're a pretty opinionated guy.
I reckon Matthew Knights was a very good football player

Batnoe

we really need him, i dont think the Brisbane fans will even know what is going on... i dont think they even know he had a problem and has been out of the game.. they dont follow footy that much up here

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It now makes securing Gardy for another year a wise bet.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Richter
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:Brisbane is clearly still at the early stage of a rebuilding process: all of their current star players are in their late twenties or older, even their better GOPs are in their mid-twenties or older.

The sensible thing for Voss to do is to focus on the draft and rookies for a couple of seasons and build up a core of young talent to learn from Black, Brown, Power and Bradshaw and to take the club forward.

The crazy thing to do would be to bring in an iffy star player of a similar age to their other stars. Even if Cousins returns to his form of a few seasons ago, I don't think Brisbane will have the depth of talent to challenge for a flag over the next 2-3 years. So recruiting him would be a waste of money and effort.
Absolutely agree MB. Would be baffling for the Lions to pick him up. Sydney I could understand but the Lions? As you say, they are too far away from a flag.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Don't let him slip Sainters...

Arrrrgghh...I knew someone else would come for him...

Come on Gardi, we've given you three years worth of contracts - the least you can do is get Benny over the line!

Fingers, legs, knees, toes crossed we can pull it off using a PSD pick. *GULP* at the thought of using a national draft pick.

However, this is where Cousins needs to step up and make himself counted. By nominating a club, it will effectively quash the interest of others.

If he chooses Brisbane, that's it for us in my book and he's theirs. Vice-versa, if he picks us, we should be allowed to go for him.

If he nominates nobody, he's fair game for anyone.

Pick us Benny :)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
meher baba wrote:Brisbane is clearly still at the early stage of a rebuilding process: all of their current star players are in their late twenties or older, even their better GOPs are in their mid-twenties or older.

Absolutely agree MB. Would be baffling for the Lions to pick him up. Sydney I could understand but the Lions? As you say, they are too far away from a flag.
incredibly over-rated post premierships, the rebuilding was expected to be a few short years and flags would continue with the younger stars of their era become the elder

their list is very over-rated and most of the young kids have either stalled or shown bugger all to suggest they deserve finals action...

Batnoe

Richter wrote:

incredibly over-rated post premierships, the rebuilding was expected to be a few short years and flags would continue with the younger stars of their era become the elder

their list is very over-rated and most of the young kids have either stalled or shown bugger all to suggest they deserve finals action...
They're still competitive as they have an ok core group but no where near a premiership tilt

theirs stars, in Brown, Bradshaw, Black, power, are as good as any going around but then they had other depth players that they got rid of, but now their next group of core players will be a few years away.

The Johnstone experiment failed, and i am sure their cousins one will as well

markp
Saintsational Legend

Not worth panicking over, he wouldn't be a good fit up there all round.... I honestly think we're leading by the length of the straight.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
Richter wrote:

They're still competitive as they have an ok core group but no where near a premiership tilt

theirs stars, in Brown, Bradshaw, Black, power, are as good as any going around but then they had other depth players that they got rid of, but now their next group of core players will be a few years away.

The Johnstone experiment failed, and i am sure their cousins one will as well
johnstone always was going to fail, he just doesnt give two hoots and after meeting him and chatting with him there really is not much upstairs

their core is good however they have too many players that are the same ins and out's weekly, one average player comes in, he performs poorly, another comes in, he performs poorly and is dropped then the first average player comes back in after dominating the seconds by kicking 10 and getting 40

to make hem a better football club and list they need to find a way to play in the vfl

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brisbane Lions to move on Cousins - The Age (Caro Wilson

Quixote wrote:http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/20 ... 84084.html

Seems they're still interested.

Surely we're front runners though.

I mean really - Brisbane or Melbourne Benny?

Here's hoping location gets us over the line. So to speak.
agree - but when he compares lions facilities to saints (lack of) facilities....

St Igmata
Club Player

Wont have as much attention or pressure in Brisbane.

Richter
SS Life Member

St Igmata wrote:Wont have as much attention.......in Brisbane.
Precisely the reason why I think that he'd prefer to come to Melbourne.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:Don't let him slip Sainters...

Arrrrgghh...I knew someone else would come for him...

Come on Gardi, we've given you three years worth of contracts - the least you can do is get Benny over the line!

Fingers, legs, knees, toes crossed we can pull it off using a PSD pick. *GULP* at the thought of using a national draft pick.

However, this is where Cousins needs to step up and make himself counted. By nominating a club, it will effectively quash the interest of others.

If he chooses Brisbane, that's it for us in my book and he's theirs. Vice-versa, if he picks us, we should be allowed to go for him.

If he nominates nobody, he's fair game for anyone.

Pick us Benny :)
I'm sure he will do that once the AFL ticks his box. Until then, he can't really make any comment about which clubs, contracts, etc...

sainter35
Club Player

Let's hope so.

He clearly wants to play footy next year so he's not going to put himself into a position where he burns his bridges with other clubs before getting the all clear from the AFL Commission.

St Igmata
Club Player

Richter wrote:
St Igmata wrote:Wont have as much attention.......in Brisbane.
Precisely the reason why I think that he'd prefer to come to Melbourne.
I think he would prefer to have less scrutiny.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:Wont have as much attention or pressure in Brisbane.
One team town (for now)? Could argue that he would have more.

St Igmata
Club Player

fingers wrote:
More media exposure here.
More personal exposure. (Contrary to what you may think most Brissy people wouldnt know Cousins if they tripped over him)

He would be gawked at in Melbourne,

PLUGGER14
Club Player

fingers wrote:
Not the way the Broncos have been behaving :wink: