Update - Mum's winning!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Update - Mum's winning!

Well, I think I can safely say that I am winning....

I am doing my best to recruit my young son to be a saints supporter! My hubby goes for the Hawks, so had my bubba been a little older, there may have been a danger that he would have fallen for the "premiers" :shock:

I grew up in a saints household, is that the case with the majority of supporters on here?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I am from a scottish background and my dad is a mad rangers (soccer) fan, my mum couldn't care less about sport of any sort.

However after years of hearing me talk about Harvey like the god that he is my mum now loves St Kilda, she still couldn't care less about the game itself but I think she was as heartbroken as the rest of us when Harvey hung up the boots without experiencing that premiership.

So far I've managed to recruit my mum, my grandparents, my girlfriend, about 10 friends and a couple of pets :lol:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

My dad's a hawk, my sisters a Pie and mum was undecided til I told her she was better off going for St Kilda...
Perhaps she may have been happier going for hawthorn.. being able to see a premiership and everything..
But she's stuck as a sainter now haha.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
stmac35
Club Player

My family was firmly Rugby Union (except my mum who hates sport in general - especially footy which she considers immensely pointless and somewhat barbaric) until my father's company became involved in business dealings/sponsorship with Rod Butterss and Grant Thomas (the latter of whom turned out to be decidedly unpleasant). Nevertheless, we attached ourselves to Harvey and since we had the St Kilda gear, we stuck with it. I reckon I'm the biggest footy fan in my family though.

Of course it doesn't hurt that my best friend's family are all fanatical sainters... lol

Good luck!

THE GREAT MAN - ROBERT HARVEY
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

We're all Saints on Dad's side, except my uncle who's Melbourne and my cousin who's Hawthorn.

On Mum's side, theyre all Hawthorn, except Mum, who doesnt really care but knows enough to check the results to see what mood I'll be in :D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

if they want to live here then they know who they follow.........no question about that.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mick13
Club Player

No one in my family cared about footy, my best mate went for the Saints, so it seemed like a good idea at the time! I was about 6 at this time. The only team I kinda barracked for was Melbourne....good choices mick. I think the Saints have been slightly better off in this time though.

Batnoe

Seriously, why do people marry and get with people that do not barrack for the saints? no husband or wife is good enough to put up with them going for another team

My girfriend is a saint, didnt go for anyone to start off with but is so much more fun when you barrack for the same team

my whole family goes for the saints (or those that care about footy)

TassieJones
Club Player

Dad was a Tigers then Crows fan when they came in, but I was having none of it and chose the mighty saints when he took me to a Tigers vs Saints game to convert me.

Currently as it stands I have converted around 15 people to St Kilda supporters in my travels, in the sense that they will now say they go for the Saints, but only one die hard supporter. I await with great anticipation the day me and/or my sisters have kids so I can get in their early and brainwash my own little army of st kilda supporting sons/daughters/nephews/neices.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Dad is a Demons fan and Mum is a Saint by defult because her Dad was one but she didnt get into footy at all.

Dad recruited my brothers and myself to the Demons fold until my twin and I were old enough to choose for ourselves and we picked the Saints (at around 8-9 or so) My younger brother is still a Dee but he doesnt much care about footy these days

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
St Marcus
Club Player

I came from a Rugby Union stronghold near Tamworth NSW. At 13 my parents purchased a farm on the south coast of WA (Denmark near Albany) and I went to a boarding school in Perth, which has produced a number of AFL stars (my house captain was Simon Beasley) so was converted to Aussie rules then.

Went for South Fremantle in the WANFL and the Saints in the VFL (my older brother converted me). Then in 1987 got transferred over here, the same year as Nicky Winmar and have been a member ever since.

Have converted an ex partner, some of my family (their 2nd team after WC), quite a few Qantas Cabin Crew (when I worked as a Flight Attendant) and a current workmate (now back to being a beancounter) who I have sat with at The Dome(Level 1 Bay 38) for the past 8 years.

Only person I cannot convert is my current partner, who is an avid Blues supporter, as is the whole family, however I am working on a young newphew who is showing signs of crossing over to the goodies, much to the families disgust.

Cheers

Mark

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

My parents each barracked for they Saints before they met so naturally, l was born & bred A Saint. My, now, wife half-heartedly followed Geelong, So converting her was quite easy (now she is fanatical!) Both of my girls are 'dyed- in- the- wool' little Sainters. Here's hoping that we'll be Premiers soon so they'll never be tempted, but l doubt they would as l'm sure they'll be Saints tragics for life.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

My mum was a Tigers fan, my old man converted her!

My girlfriend was a Blues supporter, and I've converted her! She's come to about 5 games with me over the last couple of years we've been together She's hooked now!

The Saints are coming!
saintnt
Club Player

Third generation Saints supporter. Whole family barracks for them except my Pop, brothers-in-law and partner! Think the line went something like, while you are living under our roof, you will barrack for the Saints. Can't wait to have kids and put them in the Saints jumper I had as a baby, otherhalf might have something to say, so he barracks for Hawthorn. As trying to work out how to play the theme song at our wedding in February!!

Shades
Club Player

My mum went for the pies dad the saints when i was 2 my mum put a collingwood jumper and a stkilda jumper next 2 each other i grabed the saints jumper since then mum has gone 4 the saints aswell

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Update - Mum's winning!

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Well, I think I can safely say that I am winning....

I am doing my best to recruit my young son to be a saints supporter! My hubby goes for the Hawks, so had my bubba been a little older, there may have been a danger that he would have fallen for the "premiers" :shock:

I grew up in a saints household, is that the case with the majority of supporters on here?
We can arrange for stinger to represent you during the divorce proceedings at a huge cost :wink: :wink: !!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I see threads like this and thank goodness my partner doesn't read the site... of course, she doesn't read the site because she's a lions fan (and yet thinks everyone on here is mad), but that's the point.

I've convinced her that it is a longstanding tradition that children follow their Father's football team and Mother's religion. There is no need at all for her to know that the "longstanding tradition" was something I overheard in the train as the way some kids family had resolved the issue. It sounded a sensible idea... in the sense that I got exactly what I wanted!

My son is being thoroughly branded (I'm told that I may get done for child abuse for doing this by her parents) - absolutely bans on any Lions merchandise for him, and plenty of Saints gear :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
goodie
Club Player

Been passed down from my grandfather to my dad to me. Should I plague this earth with a son I hope to pass on the tradition

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Update - Mum's winning!

Eastern wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Well, I think I can safely say that I am winning....

We can arrange for stinger to represent you during the divorce proceedings at a huge cost :wink: :wink: !!
A hawks supporter yes, but for my anniversary present he took me into the city for the weekend and bought really good seats to the Saints v Essendon twilight game. I cannot complain, but thanks for the offer Eastern :lol:

There is some great stories on here, our son is now (well, if I have my way) the 4th generation of Saints supporter on my Dad's side. My Mum was a Geelong supporter, but Dad converted her when they were married.

Like someone pointed out to me on here some months ago, I am home with him all day so I can "oh when the saints" at random moments, purchase and dress him in saints merchandise, and generally encourage him in all things St Kilda 8-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:Seriously, why do people marry and get with people that do not barrack for the saints? no husband or wife is good enough to put up with them going for another team

My girfriend is a saint, didnt go for anyone to start off with but is so much more fun when you barrack for the same team

my whole family goes for the saints (or those that care about footy)
agree. all this controversy over same-sex marriages. i have no problem with them as long as they are not mixed team relationships. I dont think inter-team marriages should be permitted.

change to the laws on marriage should be made! anyone got the number for k-rudd?