How can we make a profit in 2009?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

How can we make a profit in 2009?

A few factors may be against us:

1. The draw - all those Sunday matches are not good corporate wise obviously.

2. The economy - the looming recession makes it harder for all clubs.

The antidote:

Memberships: The real key driver for us to be profitable - and make no mistake it will be a huge challenge to break even in 2009 - is to boost our membership to about 35K.

IMO 35K may be the mark required to break even, or make a small profit.

How do we crack 35K?

Is Ben Cousins, and Ben Cousins playing early AND showing form the key to it???

Our membership growth has been stagnant for the past few years - we need something new and different to boost it.

Free scarves for members didn't have much or any impact, as nice as it was, neither did the metal tins!

IMO we are on the edge of asking for AFL financial assistance unfortunately.

Forgot - Gold Coast and 400K next year for the one match - that may also tip the balance our way!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: How can we make a profit in 2009?

saintspremiers wrote:A few factors may be against us:

1. The draw - all those Sunday matches are not good corporate wise obviously.

2. The economy - the looming recession makes it harder for all clubs.

The antidote:

Memberships: The real key driver for us to be profitable - and make no mistake it will be a huge challenge to break even in 2009 - is to boost our membership to about 35K.

IMO 35K may be the mark required to break even, or make a small profit.

How do we crack 35K?

Is Ben Cousins, and Ben Cousins playing early AND showing form the key to it???

Our membership growth has been stagnant for the past few years - we need something new and different to boost it.

Free scarves for members didn't have much or any impact, as nice as it was, neither did the metal tins!

IMO we are on the edge of asking for AFL financial assistance unfortunately.

Forgot - Gold Coast and 400K next year for the one match - that may also tip the balance our way!
I have not seen our figures for this year (has not been sent out) so I'm not sure how you can make such grandstanding comments such as suggesting we are on the EDGE of asking for assistance? Anything to back this up? A little bit henny penny IMO.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Shades
Club Player

Maybe we should try to win a game or 2

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Whatever we do I hope it's through increasing revenue. The profits achieved by cuts are laudable with respect to our immediate financial position but they certainly cost the club in performance over the last few years IMO.

And here's what the underpants gnomes in South Park had in place -we could do worse.

Batnoe

Q How do we make a profit?

A- By not making a loss!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:Whatever we do I hope it's through increasing revenue. The profits achieved by cuts are laudable with respect to our immediate financial position but they certainly cost the club in performance over the last few years IMO.

And here's what the underpants gnomes in South Park had in place -we could do worse.

What's Phase 2?
Phase 1 - Collect Underpants, Phase 3 - Profit

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

It's from southpark, and the stealing gnomes grand plan to make money, First steal underpants third step make profit, they haven't figured out how to make the first step into the 3rd step, hense the ?

repta
Club Player

If the Saints want more members they need to provide value for money .... it is simple
- Members HATE Sunday twilight games
- Members cant go to matches SOLD to Queensland
Value for money .... I dont think so.

Members definately cant go to finals when the club decides to bet the entire club on a has been drug addict. YES bet the entire club .... when (and I mean when) the player not named falls off the wagon what is going to be the AFL imposed penalty ....
- Premiership Points
- Draft Picks
- $1m+++ fine .....
- Then for the sponsers who are now associated with a drug culture.

Wake up ... the Siants are FAR from one player away from a Premiership.

Regards
A Former Reserved Seat holder.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote:If the Saints want more members they need to provide value for money .... it is simple
- Members HATE Sunday twilight games
- Members cant go to matches SOLD to Queensland
Value for money .... I dont think so.

Regards
A Former Reserved Seat holder.
Thank you for speaking on my behalf.
When you say 'Members HATE Sunday twilight games' I'd like to know who gave you the authority to speak on behalf of all members?

I happen to enjoy the Sunday twilight games.
I also happen to enjoy Saturday night and Friday night games.
I don't enjoy Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon games as much as the others, because of the sunlight factor at the Dome.

So please explain how the Club/League can cater for all the members and not just the ones who purport to 'speak for all members'?

As for teh game being sold off to teh Gold Coast, maybe if you and others like you had renewed their reserved seats, teh Club wouldn't feel the neesd to chase the dollars guaranteed by the AFL for playing up there?

If there are 1500 of you that you are 'speaking on behalf of', then that's probably enough to cover the revenue from the sold Gabba game.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Shady wrote:Maybe we should try to win a game or 2
Spend less than we earn.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Spend less than we earn.
I think that's a real trap if it encourages cost-cutting. It shouldn't be about the balance sheet per se, it really needs to be about revenue

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
fingers wrote:
Spend less than we earn.
I think that's a real trap if it encourages cost-cutting. It shouldn't be about the balance sheet per se, it really needs to be about revenue
Then, how about we earn more than we spend :wink: :wink:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I've thought long & hard ( well, about 30 secs worth) on how we can turn a profit in 2009 and here are a few of the points that I have come up with;

Membership of at least 35,000. Combine this with full or near full stadiums every time we play. Every saints member/fan to make an extra effort to get to as many games as possible, even interstate, if possible

Being media friendly (unfortunately, we need them on-side). This would include trotting out our key personell as much as possible: Ross, Archie, Nick R, Nick D, Kosi, Lenny, Goose, Milney & Joey have all had a bit of experience in the media. Build on that, including Greg W, Burkey, Andrew T and a number of our younger players. We could avail X & Raph for the indigenous radio & TV shows. We, the fans can also play our part by talking the saints up at every opportunity in the media (Dave from Murrumbeena & the jigging saint can assist with training)

WINNING. Winers always attract a crowd

Playing an exciting brand of footy. Aim for a minimum of 100 points per game; Win, lose or draw.

With all our Sunday games, get a few preachers from different denominations on board. It's amazing how much influence these people have. Start with the pastor from the Crossway Centre in Burwood East. He is already a saint and has the largest congregation in Victoria.

I'm sure others will come up with more/better ideas !!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

If the Board have been doing what I think they've been doing with Balance Sheet expenditure and revenue, then I don't think there will actually be a problem.

Just think back to what they've publicly announced on revenue/expenditure since they were put in charge.

They reduced last years 'profit' by taking up expenses that were not due to be taken up until this season -
GT Court costs,
Hammil salary,
writing off assets,
etc

We haven't seen this year's accounts but already we're being publicly softened up to expect a 'loss' in a year when we've also :-
won $350k for the NAB Cup
announced the largest Sponsorship deal ever
prepaid hundreds of thousands of dollars of expenses last year

We've now been told that the Sponsorship Deal is 'backended' heavily into the second and third years so we can assume that will be 1 of the ways they are 'creating a loss' this year - reducing revenue/income. I look forward to seeing the creative accounting for the rest.

Basically they are delaying any profits from 1 year to the next but eventually they will have to declare a 'whopper profit', unless they actually do have a disastrous year financially and they can then hide that disaster with the 'built up undeclared profit' from previous years.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:If the Board have been doing what I think they've been doing with Balance Sheet expenditure and revenue, then I don't think there will actually be a problem.

Just think back to what they've publicly announced on revenue/expenditure since they were put in charge.

They reduced last years 'profit' by taking up expenses that were not due to be taken up until this season -
GT Court costs,
Hammil salary,
writing off assets,
etc

We haven't seen this year's accounts but already we're being publicly softened up to expect a 'loss' in a year when we've also :-

We've now been told that the Sponsorship Deal is 'backended' heavily into the second and third years so we can assume that will be 1 of the ways they are 'creating a loss' this year - reducing revenue/income. I look forward to seeing the creative accounting for the rest.

Basically they are delaying any profits from 1 year to the next but eventually they will have to declare a 'whopper profit', unless they actually do have a disastrous year financially and they can then hide that disaster with the 'built up undeclared profit' from previous years.
I hope you are right!

I wonder if by writing off all those things mentioned, and "creating" a loss this year (and last), will mean when we have those "whopper (with cheese!) profits", we won't have to pay much tax???

If that's the case, our nett profit will be significant.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

They can make a profit by winning a premiership. 1 flag in 120 yrs is disgraceful!

Legendary
Club Player

About the only thing we can do in the short term is win football games = more merchandise sold, more memberships sold, more media exposure, more sponsorship, more gate receipts, finals money

In the long term, it's about insulating the club from the "ups and downs" of the football cycle by sourcing secure sponsorships and alternate revenue streams.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:If the Board have been doing what I think they've been doing with Balance Sheet expenditure and revenue, then I don't think there will actually be a problem.

GT Court costs,
Hammil salary,
writing off assets,
etc

I hope you are right!

I wonder if by writing off all those things mentioned, and "creating" a loss this year (and last), will mean when we have those "whopper (with cheese!) profits", we won't have to pay much tax???

If that's the case, our nett profit will be significant.
I don't think that tax is the issue with AFL CLubs in general and St Kilda in particular. I get the feeling that this administration, having inherited a Club that is basicaly 'debt-free' as the previous admin had wiped the debt (no debating how they did it, but they did it) is now in the 'luxurious position' of 'understating' our financial performance more as a means to put away 'income/profit' as 'insurance for a rainy day'. And please don't misunderstand what I'm trying to say - there's nothing wrong with what they're doing,

I reckon that under this administration we will not see massive profits announced, even if we make them, unless there is a Board challenge and they wish to fight it. The previous Board showed million dollar profits and were thrown out for it. This Board I'm sure will have learned any political lessons from that scenario and you will see sets of accounts year after year showing increased spending in areas the members have shown they feel strongly about, whilst at the same time underplaying the income/revenue side of the 'books'. My guess is that we'll see a 'massive profit' only in the year this Board decides to retire.

jays
Club Player

i have no idea need members look at hawkes

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:i have no idea need members look at hawkes Image
In the dark past, when I was at school, we were taught to use punctuation and spelling to make sentences readable.

I think you're trying to say three different things but have managed to put them all into 1 sentence?

'I have no idea'
'need members'
'look at hawkes'

Is that what you were trying to say?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
jays wrote:i have no idea need members look at hawkes Image
In the dark past, when I was at school, we were taught to use punctuation and spelling to make sentences readable.

I think you're trying to say three different things but have managed to put them all into 1 sentence?

'I have no idea'
'need members'
'look at hawkes'

Is that what you were trying to say?
I can only assume jays is entering posts from their mobile phone/ Iphone

was going to say Jays is home after the multiple postings around 5.15 :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Id be staggered if we got to 35K members. Even in the days we were "exciting" we were about 2K off. I wonder why we cant convert more of our supporter base to members? We are far from the least supported club.

Even hawthorn, prior to their success were above us, not even including pets and the tassie 4 game pseudo members.

Really, 35K should be achievable, but as it stands its almost 100% sure not to happen.

No1_Saint
Club Player

Essesndon have done really well to convert their membership base to direct debit which results in 20,000 annual memberships resigned every year on the same time period.

The key is to link membership to the supporting of the club and not reliant on on field results. Not sure how this can be achieved though. At this stage there is about 25,000 core supporters who will always buy a membership...we need an extra 10,000 to make that committment. Anything else is gravy.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

No1_Saint wrote:Essesndon have done really well to convert their membership base to direct debit which results in 20,000 annual memberships resigned every year on the same time period.
We are entering our 2nd year of direct debit membership. It will take time but we will get there !!

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
cowboy18 wrote:
fingers wrote:
Spend less than we earn.
Then, how about we earn more than we spend :wink: :wink:

My comment was tongue in cheek - and you are both right. We need to be addressing top line growth while maintaining an eye on costs. Given current climates for corporates to NOT spend top line revenue will be tough.