2009 Probable Draft Selections

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Blease, Hill and Zaharakis all seem a bit light at this stage. I would like to think we would pick someone with our first pick who is ready to play AFL.
Why?

Given that we're not going to get someone like a Palmer, Cotchin or Selwood at #13, what serious imrovement do we reasonably expect from an 18 year old? Even with Cyril Rioli, let us remember that the Hawks had no other option for a small forward coming through, so Rioli was a great pick... had he been a St Kilda pick, he might well have struggled to make the team behind Milne and Schneider.

Is there any reason to think we're likely to get a ready made 18 year old player at pick 13? Or is this more of a hope?
After watching a few of the draft profile videos Ryan Shoenmakers has really grown on me. Just shy of 6'3, class, raking left footer, very good mark & can slot a sausage roll.

Would definately fill one of our many needs!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:...Ryan Shoenmakers has really grown on me...
He's one of the guys listed as probable second rounders who could sneak into the first round if somebody really likes him. He certainly showed a lot of athleticism at draft camp and has some very nice football skills. In a leaner year he might be a top-10 pick. We could do a lot worse than a guy like Shoenmakers.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:...Ryan Shoenmakers has really grown on me...
He's one of the guys listed as probable second rounders who could sneak into the first round if somebody really likes him. He certainly showed a lot of athleticism at draft camp and has some very nice football skills. In a leaner year he might be a top-10 pick. We could do a lot worse than a guy like Shoenmakers.
That's why I'm still p1ssed off that we traded out of the 2nd round. A guy like Shoenmakers could conceivably still be available at #31 but we decided to give a 2nd round pick for a bloke that was going to leave his club no matter what. The 3rd rounder would have done the trick.

Oh well, we can only hope that Ray fulfills his potential & #31 was worth sacrificing for him (& #48 is an inspired pick).

saintbob
SS Life Member

Pick 13: Mitch Robinson (Midfielder) - Ball magnet both inside and out, will probably find himself a home early on a HFF or HBF, only due to Cousins taking the midfield role

Pick 47: Adam Cockie (Midfielder) - If available would be another pressing for selection early next season, very good user of the ball.

Pick 48: Jarrad Blight (Key Defender) - What we have been crying out for, probably the best available at this pick

Pick 63: Barry Sloane Midfielder) - Plays very hard, would work in well with Bally

Pick 79: Ben Cousins (Midfielder) - Must have

Pick 95: Liam Jones (Key Forward) - Long term project as he is a bit on the lean side, his father (Bob) had dodgy knees but plenty of ability, well worth the gamble.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:A guy like Shoenmakers could conceivably still be available at #31...
I don't think it's likely though. He's probably a late first rounder to early second rounder. I would think Melbourne would be very tempted to team him with Watts if he's available then. I do think there's a bit of a dropoff around the 25-30 mark. The second round guys I really like (Heyne, Strauss, Shoenmakers) will all probably be gone by what was our second pick. My only problem with the deal was that it was for Farren Ray.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I would like to think we would pick someone with our first pick who is ready to play AFL.
With a side like this:

S. Fisher - Hudghton - Gilbert
Gram - Blake - R. Clarke
Cousins - Hayes - Dal Santo
Montagna - Riewoldt - Jones
Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne
King - Goddard - Ball

Armitage - Baker - X. Clarke - Ray

even Daniel Rich or Jack Ziebell would struggle to get a game from day one. Long term contribution >>> short term contribution.
That's almost the same team that got shown to be lacking by Geelong,Hawthorn and the Bulldogs.....

I believe we need 1 or 2 more new faces in that team to be more competetive with the pacesetters of the comp.....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Tom Swift
If not for injury he would be going top 5 IMO.....many players have slid due to injury (Judd, Selwood) and have recovered....

He is a bargain......there is a risk, but also a reward

vacuous space
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:I believe we need 1 or 2 more new faces in that team to be more competetive with the pacesetters of the comp.....
I disagree. What we need is for our top players to play closer to their peak and for fringe players to provide a more even contribution. There's nobody out there either in the draft or in the PSD that will walk onto this team and make a significant impact. We need to use the draft to build for the future and try and elevate the guys who are already here to take us to the next level.

Goddard averaged under 20 touches a game in the first half of 08, he averaged 27.5 per game in the second half. He's now going to become a full time onballer alongside Lenny Hayes and a (hopefully healthy) Luke Ball. We'll have a second tier of onballers featuring Nick Dal Santo, Leigh Montagna and hopefully Ben Cousins. We've then got Sam Fisher, Jason Gram, Adam Schneider, Clinton Jones, Xavier Clarke and Farren Ray who can run through there if needs be. It all starts in the midfield and I believe we have the midfield to compete with the best in the biz. I'm very excited to see what our backline can do next year as well.

There's only two guys in this draft who I believe could walk straight onto this team - Daniel Rich and Jack Ziebell. Neither one would be a marked improvement on what we've already got in their first year. Both of them will probably be gone by our pick anyway. New faces won't get us to the next level. It was the guys that were already there that elevated Geelong to their current near-unbeatable status and we'll need the same kind of thing if we're going to reach that level.

Legendary
Club Player

Luke Ball is worth 2-3 goals to a team with his clearance and tackling work. Baker saves 1-2 goals with his defensive skills. Cousins (if we get him) is worth 1-2 goals with his gut running.

That's potentially 5-6 goals a game that the team improves with the addition of those players.

That pretty much closes the gap between us and the Hawks (who we have proved we can beat) and the Cats.

We aren't that far off. 1-2 players of the ilk of Ball, Baker, Cousins, Ray etc will make a massive difference.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I would like to think we would pick someone with our first pick who is ready to play AFL.
With a side like this:

S. Fisher - Hudghton - Gilbert
Gram - Blake - R. Clarke
Cousins - Hayes - Dal Santo
Montagna - Riewoldt - Jones
Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne
King - Goddard - Ball

Armitage - Baker - X. Clarke - Ray

even Daniel Rich or Jack Ziebell would struggle to get a game from day one. Long term contribution >>> short term contribution.
That's almost the same team that got shown to be lacking by Geelong,Hawthorn and the Bulldogs.....

I believe we need 1 or 2 more new faces in that team to be more competetive with the pacesetters of the comp.....
Even if we ignore that Cousins is a huge hypothetical addition, Ball brings exactly what was missing in those finals and Baker's pretty handy too (jury's out on Ray, we'll see what he adds) and that the Dogs never played the Saints after they got their act together (though FWIW I too rate the '08 dogs ahead of the '08 Saints), the question remains:

Whether or not we need another new face or two to be making the grade with the teams above '08 St Kilda (and I don't think so, I think it's avoiding the slow start, building on the brighter aspects... and doing a better job with the groundball and clearances), is that new face something we would have a snowballs chance of finding in an 18 year old National Draft pick?

I wouldn't have thought so (though I love the sound of Tom Swift if he drops to our pick) based on history, but would love for the draftniks to tell me I'm wrong. The wise drafting philosophy, in my view, would be to assume none of the '08 picks will play in '09, and draft the guys with the best chance of being genuine impact players in '10 and beyond.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I know one thing for sure...

No matter who we pick at #13 (or any round for that matter), someone here will call it the dumbest selection in the history of the draft 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Too much like

saintbob wrote:Pick 13: Mitch Robinson (Midfielder) - Ball magnet both inside and out, will probably find himself a home early on a HFF or HBF, only due to Cousins taking the midfield role

Pick 47: Adam Cockie (Midfielder) - If available would be another pressing for selection early next season, very good user of the ball.

Pick 48: Jarrad Blight (Key Defender) - What we have been crying out for, probably the best available at this pick
Saintbob - Jarrad BLIGHT is too much like Sam GILBERT for me - I would rather a bigger bodied KPP back. But your other selections would be very good...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to think that with pick 13 this year we can pick up someone who can force Schneider or Jones out by the end of the year.

kezza
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:I'm praying for Hurley, but unfortunately I can't see him getting past pick 6...
He will be at the mighty Blues.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Jeez, a really fast leading FF type would be nice too.

Didn't Carlton pick up Fevola in the late thirties?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
kezza
Club Player

Quixote wrote:Jeez, a really fast leading FF type would be nice too.

Didn't Carlton pick up Fevola in the late thirties?
Yes, so?

Quixote
SS Life Member

So I'm suggesting that's the sort of player ST KILDA may look for with their second pick, Einstein.

Sad to hear about Cain, BTW

:lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
kezza
Club Player

Quixote wrote:So I'm suggesting that's the sort of player ST KILDA may look for with their second pick, Einstein.

Yeah, we are pretty devastated about Cain. Was just pointing out that Hurley is unlikely to get to St Kilda, in fact no chance. Didnt understand the connection to Fev going at pick 30 something.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

kezza wrote:
Quixote wrote:So I'm suggesting that's the sort of player ST KILDA may look for with their second pick, Einstein.

Yeah, we are pretty devastated about Cain. Was just pointing out that Hurley is unlikely to get to St Kilda, in fact no chance. Didnt understand the connection to Fev going at pick 30 something.

No one really knows what will happen on draft day. St Kilda obviously think there's a chance he might sneak through as they've been to his house for a chat.

Stick to what you know best kezza... Sweet FA

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

You obviously have a good cut and paste function but really - L. Fisher 50 games a one, Robert Powell 3? How many would you have given R Clarke at round 16? Goose has been a better player for the club than Raph. Schwarze a 1? You give him one purely for that goal against Brisbane! Anyway, no matter, everyone has different opinions...

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
bobmurray wrote:I believe we need 1 or 2 more new faces in that team to be more competetive with the pacesetters of the comp.....
I disagree. What we need is for our top players to play closer to their peak and for fringe players to provide a more even contribution. .....
Yes this is what we mainly need.

12 months before the Cats won their flag...no one would have picked them.

12 months before the Hawks won theirs many woulve had them as being on the eventual path to play in a GF...but not to win one within 12 months.

Potential is still a "dirty" word at the Saints. many such as Dal are capbale of playing ata higher level more often.

But it is not just the very gifted that need to deliver more...but basically the whole team.

vacuous space wrote:

There's nobody out there either in the draft or in the PSD that will walk onto this team and make a significant impact.
With the possible exception of Cousins I essentially agree.

For a flag in 2009...improvement has to mainly come from those already at the club.

Some of Armo, Allen, Eddie, Geary, Steven need to emerge and play football ata good standard.

vacuous space wrote:
We need to use the draft to build for the future and try and elevate the guys who are already here to take us to the next level.

Indeed...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
sax
Club Player

I seriously think, now with Brisbane interested, we'll take Cousins with pick 47 or 48. Unless he only nominates for the PSD where he can nominate terms.
We should take best available with 13 and try to address our needs with the rest.

kezza
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:
kezza wrote:

No one really knows what will happen on draft day. St Kilda obviously think there's a chance he might sneak through as they've been to his house for a chat.

Happen to know Hurley and many clubs have been to his house, including Port and Carlton. He will not be there at pick 13.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I know one thing for sure...

No matter who we pick at #13 (or any round for that matter), someone here will call it the dumbest selection in the history of the draft 8-)
Hopefully it's not pick 13.....surely we can get that one right for once?!

If it's our last pick (and excluding Cousins!), I don't mind.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

kezza wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
kezza wrote:

Happen to know Hurley and many clubs have been to his house, including Port and Carlton. He will not be there at pick 13.
Not disputing that... I was making the point that there are too many internet experts that will tell you what will happen on draft day. There's been many absolute dead set lock it in top ten picks that have drifted out on draft day.

Personally i think he won't get past North if he slides out of the top 6 & I wouldn't be surprised if Port does take him at #4. I also know Michael & he a top bloke who'll work his arse off to be a good player no matter where he ends up. It most likely won't be at the saints & realistically we probably need other types of players with out 1st pick.