Young Irish recruit for the Saints?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

How many Irish players have actually made it in the AFL. I can only think of 2, Stynes and Kennelly. The odds are against these guys making it in the AFL. Good athletes don't necessarily make good footballers

stinger
Saintsational Legend

clarkes not bad....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintPM
Club Player

Sean Wight, played 150 games

Sign Sealed for Life
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dermott mcnichol :lol:

i reckon we will see a few more come through in the next couple of years.

colm begley went very close to making it as a decent player.. the o'hailipins seem to be not good enough.

i think there are a few irish lads on lists at the moment.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I don't really understand this hype over the Irish.
I personally don't rate Clarke as anything special. I think we're better off looking towards PNG, the Island nations etc.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

yeah. some handy PNG rugby players running around. the pacific islands are close geographically too. the irish obsession does a touch of europe-centric nostalgia about it...

would be great to get a scholarship program going in tonga/samoa/fiji i reckon. afl should give mal michael a full time job doing it. would be great for the game and the kids.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Marty Clake is a VERY GOOD player. Underrated by many, not by the Pies.

For a bloke who's only been playing the game for 2 years, its unbelievable.

Just watch him get better and better.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:how old is this guy?
ne1?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
skeptic wrote:how old is this guy?
ne1?
OK....

Posted on this website
http://www.antrimgaa.net/news/details/?id=151
on June 30, 2006

NIALL MCKEEVER
Club: CASEMENT'S PORTGLENONE
Weight: 13st.
Height: 6’4’’
Occupation/School: ST. MARYS MAGHERAFELT
Playing Position: FORWARD / MIDFIELD
Member last year’s panel: No
Honours: SW U-16 C/ship McCormick Cup

Which would make him 19 now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

6'4" and 82.5kg at 17yrs old :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:6'4" and 82.5kg at 17yrs old :lol:
Yes bigger than his team-mates back then ..

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:yeah. some handy PNG rugby players running around. the pacific islands are close geographically too. the irish obsession does a touch of europe-centric nostalgia about it...

would be great to get a scholarship program going in tonga/samoa/fiji i reckon. afl should give mal michael a full time job doing it. would be great for the game and the kids.
It might have something to do with the Irish playing a similar sport and not having any possibility of getting paid for it.

I'm not sure when Gwilt came to Australia but Mal Michael moved when he was three. A little bit difficult to spot the talent at that age.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Keep looking in Ireland!

I can't forget the impact of Jim Stynes and Sean white @ Melbourne. Stynes with his Brownlow is obviously the main success proving that a Gaelic Football player can adapt to AFL. Of coarse this is no easy transition.The more recent transition of Keneally and Clarke continue to demonstrate that successful players are over there that can succeed in the AFL.
I'd hate to see Collingwood snare another Clarke or Keneallyat the Saints expense. St. Kilda need to be in every recruiting contest it can. If we think big we have a chance of securing someone special. Keep scouring the country and the rest of the planet.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:yeah. some handy PNG rugby players running around. the pacific islands are close geographically too. the irish obsession does a touch of europe-centric nostalgia about it...

It might have something to do with the Irish playing a similar sport and not having any possibility of getting paid for it.

I'm not sure when Gwilt came to Australia but Mal Michael moved when he was three. A little bit difficult to spot the talent at that age.
fair call on the similar game. Rodan came from fiji aged 3. not sure what age naitanui and alipate carlisle came over?

but there are lots of islanders playing rugby league. dont see why afl could not be as succesful as league in the islands?

just read this interesting article and was shocked to see there are 64 teams and 7 aussie rules leagues in PNG.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/05/30/a- ... sie-rules/

Scottish Saint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: the o'hailipins seem to be not good enough.
The O'hAilpins are both from a hurling background rather than Gaelic Football so it was always going to be more difficult for them to adapt.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Scottish Saint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: the o'hailipins seem to be not good enough.
The O'hAilpins are both from a hurling background rather than Gaelic Football so it was always going to be more difficult for them to adapt.
ok yes thats right. thanks for that. tough transition. there are not many peopple in worls sports history that have managed to play at the highest level in 2 sports so i certainly have the upmost admiration for anyone who gets close.

deion sanders? anthony mundine, nova peris.. simon odonnel... that english cycler woman?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

McKeever arrived in Melboune this morning.

However unfortunately we are "sharing" him with Richmond as he spends 1 week with us...and 1 week with them.

Either Club can take him......and possibly the Roos too :cry:

Though it is good that the Saints are looking....

HXT

Ricky Nixon said on SEN this AM that the best Irish recruit to come out of Ireland has just agreed to come Australia. He will train with the Saints for one week in a few weeks time. He is in the mould of a Wayne Carey and the most promising prospect he has seen.

Batnoe

am looking forward to the prospects of having an international player, not classed in out TPP, but it is more money that our club pays from our profits, we could snare the best thing from Ireland...they have some pretty exciting players and if they can adapt to our game it will be fantastic....

Batnoe

on AFL site there are 2 other irish dudes that are going to train with us

so we could have up to 4

but def 3 training with us

very good, we should get at least one, tommy walsh is the one they hadnt mentioned prior to

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Walsh

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

From wiki

Tommy Walsh is an Irish Gaelic footballer with the Kerins O'Rahilly's club team and Kerry senior and U21 teams. He is the son of former Kerry midfielder and full-back Sean Walsh. Walsh is regarded as a talented and very promsing footballer, playing at midfield or full-forward.[1]

Walsh was a star player for the Kerry team which reached the All-Ireland Minor Football Championship final in 2006. He made his debut for the Kerry seniors in the 2007 National Football League, coming on as a substitute wing-forward on March 11 against Limerick. Kerry went on to win the 2007 All-Ireland Senior Football Championship. [2]

In 2008, Walsh won the All-Ireland Under-21 Football Championship with Kerry.[3]

Walsh will be spending one week of preseason training with Australian Rules Football club, St Kilda. If the trial is successful then he can agree to sign on with any team as an international rookie.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

5:32 PM Tue 11 November, 2008

THE TEENAGER voted Ireland's best young Gaelic footballer will train with St Kilda later this month as he weighs up a possible move to the AFL.

Forward Tommy Walsh, 19, was last month named the Gaelic Athletic Association's young footballer of the year, so the news that the amateur Irish code could lose him to the AFL is expected to cause consternation in his homeland.
http://saints.com.au/tabid/5315/Default ... wsid=69682

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:on AFL site there are 2 other irish dudes that are going to train with us

so we could have up to 4

but def 3 training with us

very good, we should get at least one, tommy walsh is the one they hadnt mentioned prior to
http://saints.com.au/tabid/5315/Default ... wsid=69682
Next week, Meredith will train with North Melbourne, while McKeever will spend the week with the Saints.

Another Irishman, James Kielt, will train with both the Kangaroos and St Kilda in coming weeks, while Walsh and compatriot David Moran will try their hand with the Saints
McKeever
Kielt
Moran
Walsh

4 by the end of the month

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:

fair call on the similar game. Rodan came from fiji aged 3. not sure what age naitanui and alipate carlisle came over?

but there are lots of islanders playing rugby league. dont see why afl could not be as succesful as league in the islands?

just read this interesting article and was shocked to see there are 64 teams and 7 aussie rules leagues in PNG.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/05/30/a- ... sie-rules/
I'm with you Con - we should be investing in some International development programs in these nations, they are ripe for our game, it'd do the AFL a world of good to begin working harder to sew its seed in new 'local' areas. I don't know if the AFL use guys like Michael, Rodan or Natanui anywhere near enough from a marketing perspective.

I'd love to see the Saints leading the way and getting some form of scholarship going.