Aaron Fiora delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I say good luck to the guy.

Did he get the most out of himself? Only he knows.

Was he really a #40 pick? Whatever.

You can criticize his performance, but to call him soft is nothing but a cheap shot from the anonymous security of the internet.

That accusation is akin to someone callling your mum or sister a slart.

Pathetic.

Fiora like the rest of us had the opporunity to make the most of his talents. He chose his destiny, and unltimately perpetuated his demise.

He'll have to live with that.

I'm still surprised by the extraordinarily high level of personal abiuse towards him, as well as the performance expectations of some.

We've had, still have, and will no doubt have worse performers on our list.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:I say good luck to the guy.

Did he get the most out of himself? Only he knows.

Was he really a #40 pick? Whatever.

You can criticize his performance, but to call him soft is nothing but a cheap shot from the anonymous security of the internet.

Pathetic.

Fiora like the rest of us had the opporunity to make the most of his talents. He chose his destiny, and unltimately perpetuated his demise.

He'll have to live with that.

I'm still surprised by the extraordinarily high level of personal abiuse towards him, as well as the performance expectations of some.

We've had, still have, and will no doubt have worse performers on our list.
Cheers, I'm pretty sure he played 140 games more than I did.

Beekay
SS Life Member

ralphysaints35 wrote:
nicola69 wrote:what's all this stuff about him having a very large penis?
Why Do we care?

We don't, because we are lads.

Nicola sounds like a ladies name.

And she's from the western suburbs. :wink:

Lots of home movies out that way.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
Why Do we care?

Ye of little knowledge.

Nicola is a blokes name too and probably attributed to someone who runs a bar somewhere.

You've never actually been in the western suburbs have you, if you think Nicola is just a girls name????????

:cry: :roll: :wink:

Beekay
SS Life Member

Iceman234 wrote: You've never actually been in the western suburbs have you, if you think Nicola is just a girls name????????

I have been there, it is just nobody there spoke english so I couldn't converse and learn !

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
Iceman234 wrote: You've never actually been in the western suburbs have you, if you think Nicola is just a girls name????????

I have been there, it is just nobody there spoke english so I couldn't converse and learn !
Give me a ring next time and I'll interpret.

Best farking cafes and restaurants in the Metro area...

:wink:

Beekay
SS Life Member

Iceman234 wrote:
Beekay wrote:

Give me a ring next time and I'll interpret.

Best farking cafes and restaurants in the Metro area...

:wink:
I'm more of a bar man.

But I have had some great street cricket and football games with the local rascals of Laverton!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

LOL Laverton doesn't count, ey. (Laverton speak)

You want to see some good spots get in touch.

:-)

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:

Pathetic.
that's crap Wayne. I and others on here call him soft in the context of his chosen professional sport. Doesn't mean he's got no steel in him as a person or that he's not a lovely bloke.
As Solar and others have said, he was weak in contests. Didn't have the tenacity required. He went to ground too easily and didn't have any ferocity at the footy at senior AFL level. That makes him soft in that context. Pretty simple really.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
saint66au wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:Wise move by the club. He had plenty of opportunities & only has himself to blame for the delisting. One of the softest (if not the softest) player to ever put on a Saints jumper.
....which, even if true which it isnt, would make him 100 times harder than you...as he's played AFL and you havent tough guy :roll:

Dont you just love cheap pot shots from the peanut gallery? :roll:
Ridiculous post IMO saintau66 from someone who is usually reasoned in response.

I played the sum total of ‘0’ AFL games, does that make me soft or is my opinion just less valid?

The reason I did not play AFL had nothing to do with ticker, it was the same reason I didn’t open the batting for Australia and win the World Middleweight Crown or run the 100 at the Olympics.....I wasn’t good enough, gifted enough, fast or talented enough to compete at any sport at the highest level...probably like most on this forum my desire well outweighed my ability (or distinct lack thereof).

This ...â€

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Joffa

Have you reached the top level of your profession?????

Aaron did.....

You can have your opinions about anything you want....but as they say, opinions are like ars*holes......but people with credibility are the ones who have achieved in the industry...any industry
hahahaha...gold St.Mart!

Have I reached the top of my profession?

I'll let my industry peers and competitors make that judgement, but suffice to say I am not a school teacher on minimum wage :lol:

My company which I founded has won numerous industry awards, employs over 100 people locally and in the USA and is a significant player in its field. I am also on the Board that regulates my industry so I would say I probably scrape by in this area :oops:

I agree that opinions are like ars*holes, and that is a good term as I think you have managed to make one of yourself with the above comment :wink:

When did Fiora reach the top of his profession?

How many B&F’s did he win?
Did he play in a premiership team?
How many AA selections or nominations?
When was he ever consistently in the best 8 or 10 at his club?
Did he play in state games when they were played?

He certainly played at the highest level and at times acquitted himself well and at times not so well, but I don’t ever recall him reaching the top of his profession.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
nicola69
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
Beekay wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
Why Do we care?

Ye of little knowledge.

Nicola is a blokes name too and probably attributed to someone who runs a bar somewhere.

You've never actually been in the western suburbs have you, if you think Nicola is just a girls name????????

Iceman is correct on all counts.

Ralphysaints35: lady's name, not "ladies name". You have used the plural where the genitive case applied. Not surprising that you were not understood when you ventured west of the Maribyrnong.

And the numerous references in the thread to the size of Fiora's large penis indicates that we blokes do seem to care.

That's why I couldn't resist my post: it seems that the guy's donk outweighs his career highlights.

we exist on a brane - thank f*** for StK
nicola69
Club Player

nicola69 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
Beekay wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
Why Do we care?

Ye of little knowledge.

Iceman is correct on all counts.

Ralphysaints35: lady's name, not "ladies name". You have used the plural where the genitive case applied. Not surprising that you were not understood when you ventured west of the Maribyrnong.

And the numerous references in the thread to the size of Fiora's large penis indicates that we blokes do seem to care.

That's why I couldn't resist my post: it seems that the guy's donk outweighs his career highlights.
Ooops, comments directed to Beekay

markp
Saintsational Legend

Hung long or hung around too long?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I suppose since he's been delisted, I'll go there, and say it again... one more time for the record.

The problem with Aaron Fiora was not, and never was, anything to do with being hard/soft/not being good in a contest. He was supposed to be an outside running mid. His contested work was actually pretty good, his marking was top notch, and if it turned out he wasn't Ben Cousins class when occasionally running through the pack and come out with the ball in addition to excellent work recieving, that would have been fine - very few reach that level, regardless of how high they're drafted.

The problem with Aaron Fiora was that he wasn't good enough at the things he was supposed to be good at.

His kicking was average, and while he could go long, that didn't translate often to goals. His speed while good, was not as far ahead of the increased avg speed of 2008 as it was when he was first drafted. These were supposed to be his great assets, and they simply weren't good enough to hang his hat on.

He wasn't hard enough to be a HFF, he wasn't skilled enough for the wing, and he wasn't fast enough for the HBF. He wasn't bad at anything, but for the talent he had, he never found a niche.

I thought the Fizz copped a very tough ride from the fans, who latched on to his "Fiona" nickname from Richmond and never let go. 90% of fans tell you the problem with Fiora is that he's soft with no ability to back it up (and I don't mean the "he's harder than you cuz he played AFL" line, I mean 90% are just saying it because it's what everyone else says). He took his knocks and he went back for more enough times for me be it marking, shepherding, or drawing the man on the charge. I never expected him to be an extractor, I never expected him to be a tackling machine hard man... I di expect him to be damaging with his possessions and draw a good defender, and too often, he was not and did not.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Joffa you sound like Dermott Brereton.......

I'll let my industry peers and competitors make that judgement, but suffice to say I am not a school teacher on minimum wage

My company which I founded has won numerous industry awards, employs over 100 people locally and in the USA and is a significant player in its field. I am also on the Board that regulates my industry so I would say I probably scrape by in this area

I agree that opinions are like ars*holes, and that is a good term as I think you have managed to make one of yourself with the above comment

Will call you 'I am Legend'

Mate I did not ask for your Resume but I am sure you enjoyed sharing it....couldn't give a f*** if you were Kevin Rudd......fact is you have bagged others who are probably proud of their careers (even ones who reached the top) - which probably makes you an arrogant c***.....

Do you not have respect for school teachers.....are they not important?????

....suppose we cannot all be Richard Bransdon :roll:

Who will teach your kids????, many would say teaching is a noble profession - especially the running around playing sport all day (well from 9-3) and having some free periods off.....all for minimum wage :wink:
But thats OK.....I will tell you why.....

Meet my wife
Dr Martin

Life is good my friend :wink:

Oh, and I go OK at sport - but I won't list my achievements, only an ars*hole would do that :lol:

yipper
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I suppose since he's been delisted, I'll go there, and say it again... one more time for the record.

The problem with Aaron Fiora was not, and never was, anything to do with being hard/soft/not being good in a contest. He was supposed to be an outside running mid. His contested work was actually pretty good, his marking was top notch, and if it turned out he wasn't Ben Cousins class when occasionally running through the pack and come out with the ball in addition to excellent work recieving, that would have been fine - very few reach that level, regardless of how high they're drafted.

The problem with Aaron Fiora was that he wasn't good enough at the things he was supposed to be good at.

His kicking was average, and while he could go long, that didn't translate often to goals. His speed while good, was not as far ahead of the increased avg speed of 2008 as it was when he was first drafted. These were supposed to be his great assets, and they simply weren't good enough to hang his hat on.

He wasn't hard enough to be a HFF, he wasn't skilled enough for the wing, and he wasn't fast enough for the HBF. He wasn't bad at anything, but for the talent he had, he never found a niche.

I thought the Fizz copped a very tough ride from the fans, who latched on to his "Fiona" nickname from Richmond and never let go. 90% of fans tell you the problem with Fiora is that he's soft with no ability to back it up (and I don't mean the "he's harder than you cuz he played AFL" line, I mean 90% are just saying it because it's what everyone else says). He took his knocks and he went back for more enough times for me be it marking, shepherding, or drawing the man on the charge. I never expected him to be an extractor, I never expected him to be a tackling machine hard man... I di expect him to be damaging with his possessions and draw a good defender, and too often, he was not and did not.
That is the most sensible summation of the player I have seen. The other big thing he lacked was that vital ingredient - Consistency. He just could not get himself up to that level of playing well consistently against the best.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Bam! is right on the money with his post. An excellent summation.

GrumpyOne

He's gone. Lets move on.

nicola69
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Joffa you sound like Dermott Brereton.......

I'll let my industry peers and competitors make that judgement, but suffice to say I am not a school teacher on minimum wage

My company which I founded has won numerous industry awards, employs over 100 people locally and in the USA and is a significant player in its field. I am also on the Board that regulates my industry so I would say I probably scrape by in this area

I agree that opinions are like ars*holes, and that is a good term as I think you have managed to make one of yourself with the above comment

Will call you 'I am Legend'

Mate I did not ask for your Resume but I am sure you enjoyed sharing it....couldn't give a f*** if you were Kevin Rudd......fact is you have bagged others who are probably proud of their careers (even ones who reached the top) - which probably makes you an arrogant c***.....

Do you not have respect for school teachers.....are they not important?????

....suppose we cannot all be Richard Bransdon :roll:

Who will teach your kids????, many would say teaching is a noble profession - especially the running around playing sport all day (well from 9-3) and having some free periods off.....all for minimum wage :wink:
But thats OK.....I will tell you why.....

Meet my wife
Dr Martin

Life is good my friend :wink:

Oh, and I go OK at sport - but I won't list my achievements, only an ars*hole would do that :lol:
Yeah Joffa, you sound like a complete suck and a liar. Anyone who bags teachers is almost without exception a real loser. And you are no exception

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I suppose since he's been delisted, I'll go there, and say it again... one more time for the record.

fair comment.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree, it's easy to have pre-concieved idea's about someone...and it's hard to change them.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

St DAC wrote:Bam! is right on the money with his post. An excellent summation.
I second that.

To be honest, anyone (including myself) that can look in the mirror and honestly say that they have acheieved EVERYTHING they set out in life... or handled EVERY challenge with distinction, have made tough decisions regardless of the outcome... are also soft.

As such, we have no right to call someone else soft IMO.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
GrumpyOne

Some posters here have been guilty of nailing Fiora to the tripod. :wink:

How despicable of them.

lefty
Club Player

07 was his best year.

Main problem was consistancy, he could play some good games, then play some very average games. At the start he was able to kick those running goals from 50m, but for some reason, stopped.

Took a few speckies here and there, I can remember at least three, the one at freo landing on his head/neck, the Sydney final in 05 and against Brisbane in 04 at the TD.

X clarke I feel will be found out next year, last chance imo.