International Rules game at the MCG - see Joey play!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

International Rules game at the MCG - see Joey play!!!

from mcc website, note only 52K expected now!

Mods, please leave this on the main site as it involves a St Kilda player - Joey!!!

International Rules - Australia v Ireland

Oct 31, 2008

Event: International Rules
Teams: Australia v Ireland
Date: Friday October 31
Start time: 7.45pm

Gate opening times:
Public/AFL members: 6.00pm
MCC Members: 5.30pm

Car Park opening: Gate 3 – 8.00am
Gate 5 – 3.00pm
Gate 6 – 4.00pm
Gate 7 – 2.00pm (passes only)

TAB opening time: 5.30pm (MCC)
6.00pm (Public)

Crowd estimate: 52,000

National Sports Museum
Open for patrons with event tickets from gate opening time until 8.00pm inside Gate 3 of Olympic Stand

Tickets go on sale to the general public and AFL members at 9am local time on Monday August 25. MCC visitor tickets go on sale on Thursday August 28 at 9am local time.

Tickets can be purchased through all Ticketmaster outlets, over the phone on 1300 136 122 or online at www.ticketmaster.com.au.

View the seating plan

View ticket prices

The series, which will also see a game in Perth on October 24, should be a ripper after the controversies that emerged from the most recent series between the teams two years ago.

The MCG match will be held exactly five years to the day since the ‘G last hosted the hybrid code of football, when 60,235 people saw the Irish creep home by three points.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
GrumpyOne

Yeah.... go and spend all your time hoping that he doesn't incur a serious injury in this bastardised farce of a game. :x

The rules have been so watered down to appease the whinging Irish Girlies that it looks like geriatric tiddy-winks. :x

Only the extremely Jingo-istic can see any merit in the game.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

What is he playing?

Wing Attack?

Goal Defence?

Are they wearing skirts and bibs?

Worst - most laughable game ever.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:The rules have been so watered down to appease the whinging Irish Girlies that it looks like geriatric tiddy-winks. :x

It's professional athletes against amateurs, the rules need to be in favour of the irish to make any game played slightly competitive.

Carpe Diem
GrumpyOne

Saint Corin wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:The rules have been so watered down to appease the whinging Irish Girlies that it looks like geriatric tiddy-winks. :x

It's professional athletes against amateurs, the rules need to be in favour of the irish to make any game played slightly competitive.
I did appreciate that point........ but the amended amended and further adjusted rules do little to make the game watchable.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Saint Corin wrote:

I did appreciate that point........ but the amended amended and further adjusted rules do little to make the game watchable.
What else is on if you only have Free to Air?

The Thugby World Cup?

Same diff.......Australia vs No one.

Agree it's a Mickey Mouse comp, the Aussies don't really care if they win or not...

All the more incentive to get Foxtel I guess.....just need to convince the boss of it's merits!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Did he play good didn't get to see it? :cry:

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Id rather smear my junk with BBQ sauce and dangle them in a pool of hungry pirhanna than watch that bulls***

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

homework wrote:Did he play good didn't get to see it? :cry:
not particicularly, similar to most of the aussies, can't really kick the round ball with an consitancy, didn't get too many touches either, but at least got an over (3 points).

Carpe Diem
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:
Saint Corin wrote:

Yes I agree, while I watch it purely because there is very little else sport on, I don't find it that entertaining. It just goes back and fourth, due to the aussies clangers, or the irish getting stuck in a tackle. Then there is some excitement up forward, which usually results in a behind. By god I miss AFL this time of the year :(

Carpe Diem
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

interview on saintscentral

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Joey wasn't hugely involved in the play, but when he got the ball he was definitely one of the better users. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get more game time this week because you'd think the coaches would want him in the play more.

Behind Play
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
Saint Corin wrote:

Game was never watchable. It is absolute BS

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The Aussies obviously decided that they were crap at trying to score "unders' so they tried to beat Ireland purely by "overs" and behinds". Its the IR equivalent of chasing down 220 in singles in one day cricket

Doesnt help when the Irish keepers come from a soccer background (ie are very good) and ours doesnt even know the rules properly (its play on when it hits the post Nathan)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

AUSTRALIA will look to acceleration, rather than aggression, as they try to overhaul Ireland in the International Rules decider.

The home side feel it has an advantage in pace, which it wants to exploit in Friday night's second and deciding Test at the MCG.

The Irish won last Friday's first Test by one point at Subiaco after the Australians overcame a 17-point deficit late in the game.

While much of the focus in this series has been the need for players to curb their attack on opponents, midfielder Leigh Montagna said the Australians had looked at how quickly they were moving the ball.

"We've got to be able to run more and make it a quicker-tempo sort of game," the St Kilda player said.

"In the first half (last Friday) we were probably a little bit slow with the ball and didn't move it as quickly, hence we didn't score as much.

"But once we started running the ball, taking them on, moving it quickly and using our pace and fitness, we probably feel we've got a bit of an advantage there."

Montagna said the Irish were more physical than he expected and with the series riding on Friday's game, there will probably be more aggression.

But he is adamant the two sides will continue to strive to stay within the rules.

"Their tackling was surprisingly good, they're a very aggressive sort of side," Montagna said.

"We probably expected that, but ... it was really competitive from them and they did attack the ball hard.

"A lot of times they actually beat us to the ball, so that's something we've looked at and need to work on this week.

"Obviously there's a little bit more to play for this week, so you would think the intensity would probably be a little bit higher.

"We don't think there's going to be anything too illegal going on, it's just going to be a physical, intense encounter."

The Australians are likely to keep their focus on scoring three-point "overs", rather than trying to score six points by putting the ball in the net.

Ireland scored three six-pointers to Australia's nil at Subiaco.

Montagna added if the Australians have another penalty, they are likely to drop the ball onto their foot rather than take a spot kick.

Australia had their main training session this afternoon, while the Irish will go through their paces tomorrow morning.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe they still have this go on, let it die already...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Geez I must make the trip to see Joey play this wonderful "International" game.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I can't believe they still have this go on, let it die already...
it vaguely resembles footy, very vaguely.

I don't mind it, just wish it was played end of November (perhaps if the Aussie team was made up of newly drafted players if it was held the week after the draft? That would make it more interesting!)

Now that's an idea eh??

Also, if they stick to the current model of a ramshackle assortment of whoever wants to play for the Aussie team, at least allow a bit of biffo.

Howabout that you Irish pussies???