Once again the filth get what they want

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Fair dinkum, what a pack of whingers.

Eddie got to where he is and wields the influence he can because he's brilliant at what he does. But he doesn't manipulate the draw and you'd be naive to think he does.

Given that every Victorian (and most interstate) AFL clubs requests to play Collingwood once at home, it's no wonder they don't travel.

We need a 30-round season to end this crap once and for all.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

kalsaint
Club Player

BallBanger wrote:
uncle joe wrote:They have a lot more clout in the AFL than St.Kilda . Simple as that .

Huge membership , draw bigger crowds week in week out , very wealthy club , a president that pushes hard to get what is best for his club .

All adds up to a lot more clout in the AFL . Simple as that .
So lets not protect this great game for the sake of collingwood and a couple of their sidekicks!
If we think nothing can be done to reduce Collingwood's provileges in scheduling it will never happen. Its not their right to do this, is it?

Change in poorer club memberships will never occur without a level playing field unless there is considerable luck or colusion involved.

If you believe good management practice provide this you are are slightly correct. The AFL system of maximising profit for the short term now ensures that other teams wont get the sponsorship needed to provide true competitiveness. Sponsorships dont grow on trees and the larger ones now unfairly pick the richer clubs.

Welcome to the world of Pigs Arrrsss. We brought in the salary cap to provide balance but this is evident at club administration and board level.

AFL sounds like a business to me rather than a game.

They have opted to support non financial teams because of their ruthless strategy rather than risk being sacked for a fair fight.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
james rose
Club Player

seriously I am sick of hearing about how this favors collingwood for a start:

who thinks they will perform better than us this year as a result?

who thinks that its a bad thing for us if they make the finals as well as the saints?

who thinks a home game against collingwood is bad for us?

if you didn't answer yes to any of these things stop talking crap about it not being a level playing field because you should of come to the conclusion atm its good for us.

BallBanger
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Fair dinkum, what a pack of whingers.

Eddie got to where he is and wields the influence he can because he's brilliant at what he does. But he doesn't manipulate the draw and you'd be naive to think he does.

Given that every Victorian (and most interstate) AFL clubs requests to play Collingwood once at home, it's no wonder they don't travel.

We need a 30-round season to end this crap once and for all.
FFS everton explain how it works?

If collingwood don't travel then they have to play the interstate sides in Melbourne...how does this help Vic clubs wanting to play them..

Its a furphy that collingwood don't travel because all vic clubs want to play them

In reality Collingwood should travel more and never play interstate clubs in Melbourne

You see every club has to play each club at least once and if you don't play them interstate then you play them here in melbourne

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood's favoured draw does effect our budget.

The fact they travel less than we do means we have to fork out more money for airfares and accomadation. Ever thought what it costs to provide 30 + people return airfares and rooms to wherever we go.

Therefore, Collingwood's costs are reduced why the other clubs pick up the slack for their lack of travel, that extra cost would wipe out a good percentage of any money you make playing them.

They also get the lions share of all the prime time games, that means less advertising exposure for the other teams and also attendances, further eroding any financial benefit of playing them.

Plus, it doesn't matter where they finish on the ladder, they get the same deal in the draw.

I also believe that the Anzacs didn't go and fight and die so that Collingwood could play Essendon every Anzac day, all this crap about how they made the day is as good a propaganda hype as anything made up by Kim Il Jong of Nth Korea.

I seem to remember long before Essendon and Collingwood playing that there was always one game at the MCG and one at Waverley and it wouldn't matter who played, you got huge crowds to both games.

It seems the only reason they really got the gig was because the first one drew a huge crowd and was the only really good game they ever had on Anzac Day as the rest have been pretty crap.

So why I agree on who we play and when we play and how often we play them next year, we have a pretty good draw, but, don't kid yourself that the AFL deciding who Collingwood plays, when and where they paly them first before they decide the rest of the draw doesn't affect us, think again.

Someone said to boycott the game, no, we should all go to keep as many of their supporters out of the stadium and to make sure they are reminded of what an ordinary team they are when we beat them.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I've just got a bright idea :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

How about if we get Greg Westaway & Archie Fraser to sit down with Fat Eddie & Gary Pert and devise a plan or set of plans that would benifit BOTH clubs. The AFL will go for it because Collingwood are involved. From there we just keep going down the pecking order.

The idealology behind this bright idea is;

IF YOU CAN"T BEAT EM, JOIN EM !!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:You see every club has to play each club at least once and if you don't play them interstate then you play them here in melbourne
Talk about throwing up a lollypop ball.

Coillingwood are playing four interstate teams away.

The same number as us.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Surely if everyone wants to play the pies they shouldnt be allowed. Any requests should be denied. It is a disgrace that just becauce everyone wants to play them that the AFL agree to it. Ban the pies as a side everyoneone plays.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I've just got a bright idea :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

How about if we get Greg Westaway & Archie Fraser to sit down with Fat Eddie & Gary Pert and devise a plan or set of plans that would benifit BOTH clubs. The AFL will go for it because Collingwood are involved. From there we just keep going down the pecking order.

Exactly.

Why can't we get into bed with a Pies "blockbuster"?

FFS the hapless and hopeless Dees have Queen's Bday stitched up yet again,
Anzac Day, Split Round etc etc....Dreamtime at the G.

Why the fork can't we do something?

Monday night at Etihad doesn't smell like a regular "blockbuster" fixture to me!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BallBanger
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
BallBanger wrote:You see every club has to play each club at least once and if you don't play them interstate then you play them here in melbourne
Talk about throwing up a lollypop ball.

Coillingwood are playing four interstate teams away.

The same number as us.

No you have not hit me for six...

You mentioned clubs wanting to play collingwood was the reason they don't travel the average (your previous thread) but I can't see how this works...can you explain please?

I don't give a shtt whether its less than us, across the board their draw gives them a huge advantage on and off the field...this cannot surely be good for the comp.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Of course the fixture programming is favoured for Collingwood each year to at least 18 games in Melbourne each year - it's all to do with dollars and contracts at the expense of the other Victorian Clubs.

The same reason why Collingwood gets the most favoured free to air television coverage each year - again dollars.

It all happens because of the contracts Collingwood have tied up with the MCG and the Dome guaranteeing 14 MCG games and 4 Dome games each year which means in setting the fixtures each year, Collingwood have to be given the 14 Melbourne games - yes we've all been CONNED by Collingwood with the support of the AFL fraudsters.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Go Sainters Go wrote:Of course the fixture programming is favoured for Collingwood each year to at least 18 games in Melbourne each year - it's all to do with dollars and contracts at the expense of the other Victorian Clubs.

The same reason why Collingwood gets the most favoured free to air television coverage each year - again dollars.

It all happens because of the contracts Collingwood have tied up with the MCG and the Dome guaranteeing 14 MCG games and 4 Dome games each year which means in setting the fixtures each year, Collingwood have to be given the 14 Melbourne games - yes we've all been CONNED by Collingwood with the support of the AFL fraudsters.
spot on.

What shytes me is that the media convieniently forget this point, and go on the AFL spin of all teams wanting to play Collingwood at home crappola.

Well, look at our home games.....we get Essendon at home, but neither of Collingwood nor Carlton.

So it's OK to financially fork St Kilda, Melbourne, Footscray etc etc.....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Its bullshyte there the shitest team to watch and the A.F.L is just up there

arses

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

They play more Melbourne clubs twice than interstate sides...

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I dont care about Collingwoods draw as they will always get the preferred draw whether we like it or not. No point in even worrying about it but I do care about our draw and as I have said many times the drae as far as results are concerned looks great on this years form. Who is to know what will happen next year though.
No plugger, you can do something - we all can - simply boycott any game involving collingwood. Do not watch, do not attend. Refuse to participate and give money to the AFL.

But...if you're happy with the situation just go on being a blissful consumer - that's all the AFL sees us as!
THE dumbest idea Ive ever heard :roll:

Yup..its the players fault, so deny them the support of their fans just for the sake of your soapbox :twisted:

Go join a Melbourne Victory supporters group if you think the fans should be bigger than they game they are watching :!:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
The Craw
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:Collingwood's favoured draw does effect our budget.

The fact they travel less than we do means we have to fork out more money for airfares and accomadation. Ever thought what it costs to provide 30 + people return airfares and rooms to wherever we go.

Therefore, Collingwood's costs are reduced why the other clubs pick up the slack for their lack of travel, that extra cost would wipe out a good percentage of any money you make playing them.
You actually think teams pay for their interstate travel and accomodation :shock:

oh dear !

Not Craw, CRAW!
BallBanger
Club Player

Moorabbin Saints wrote:
They play more Melbourne clubs twice than interstate sides...
Now have you done your homework?
If collingwood travelled to sydney, Brisbane, Perth twice, Adelaide Twice, (6 x interstate) how many less victorian games against victorian clubs would be played in Melbourne?

SFC Forever

Hi guys, I,m a limey and would like someone to explain what the thread is about. The technicalities are unknown to us over here as a rule. Though I note you seem less than pleased by the (draw?)

SFC Forever
ohwhenthesaints.net
Saints till dead and on.
marksnsparks
Club Player

I find all this whinging about the draw utterly futile. Nothing will change even if the administration down at Linton Street did complain.

It's the principle of only playing 22 games in the season that is fatally flawed. You are always going to get some teams shafted with the wrong end of the pineapple.

The only way this comp is ever going to be fair is if we play every team home and away and have a 30 game season, end of story.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I've just got a bright idea :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

they have no desire to deal with us intimately, why would they???

we are small fish and why would they want us to join them???

wel'l be right, 15 other teams play in this comp too and one out of the 15 wins the flag...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
linz
Club Player

SFC Forever wrote:Hi guys, I,m a limey and would like someone to explain what the thread is about. The technicalities are unknown to us over here as a rule. Though I note you seem less than pleased by the (draw?)
Well I suppose it's a bit like comparing Manchester United in Limey Land with Collingwood in Australia.

Our League Chiefs (Aust.Football League) AFL for short, release the fixture for the coming season. Ultimately the draw is to maximize profits for the League.

Profits not only come from TV rights but also crowd attendances. Because Collingwood is the biggest crowd-pulling club in it's home town of Melbourne, the AFL maximizes profits by reducing interstate games and maximizing home games.

Supporters from other states just want to beat Victorian clubs as a whole not just Collingwood so attendances aren't really affected if Collingwood don't turn up.

I have always said and always will; "It's all about the money". Normally Premiership sides are involved.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
The Sainter
Club Player

What other top sporting competitions around the world have fixtures where teams get to play some teams twice before meeting every other team at least once?? What moron came up with that idea? Also what other competitions draw up a fixture based solely on crowd numbers? The AFL is now a corrupt organisation. Collingwood again have been given a dream run into the finals but the one consolation is that the Magpies are no damn good when they get there.
One flag in the last 50 years and i reckon without knowing the results would have lost about 10 grand finals in that time at least including one against the Demons where they kicked what must be the lowest losing score by a team in the big one.
They crumble under finals pressure, we can even beat them in finals, yet the league keeps giving them everything they want.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

ok, here's another perspective...

I think that their cushy draw is a huge DISadvantage for them as a club overall.

They make the finals by virtue of their easy run, BUT then fail monumentaly in them.

Thus, they are unable to ever b ottom out, and receive decent draft picks, UNLESS, they do a carlton and TANK.

They can never gain a TRUE indication of where they are REALLY at.

So in the long run, they will NEVER be able to obtain the required players to enable them to seriously contend for a flag. :lol: :lol:

BallBanger
Club Player

tweedaletomanning wrote:ok, here's another perspective...

I think that their cushy draw is a huge DISadvantage for them as a club overall.

They make the finals by virtue of their easy run, BUT then fail monumentaly in them.

Thus, they are unable to ever b ottom out, and receive decent draft picks, UNLESS, they do a carlton and TANK.

So in the long run, they will NEVER be able to obtain the required players to enable them to seriously contend for a flag. :lol: :lol:
Excellent point but they are going to be very wealthy and if allowed to use their wealth (overseas drafting/ambassador Lexus park/restraintOfTrade) forget about being competative...

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

BallBanger wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:ok, here's another perspective...

Excellent point but they are going to be very wealthy and if allowed to use their wealth (overseas drafting/ambassador Lexus park/restraintOfTrade) forget about being competative...
How is that an excellent point??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

"They make the finals by virtue of their easy run, BUT then fail monumentaly in them"

Get a clue...I guess the more finals you make the more you lose. Go read some facts.

Again, I revert back to the thread during the finals series about whether some wanted to make a GF and lose or be happy with just making a prelim. 2002-2003 GF's yep made them and lost. Disappointed - yes.

So u tell me about failing monumentally and do a comparison.....please.

*starts holding breath*

Oh and regarding the thread title I was starting to worry it was about this......

AFL keen to join Magpies at new home
Caroline Wilson | October 30, 2008

Collingwood's proposed training facility will be located behind the new rectangular stadium at Olympic Park.

VFL GAMES by the Yarra River look set to become one feature of Collingwood's new training ground at the Olympic Park site under a proposal by the Magpies that is being supported by the AFL.

Collingwood is negotiating with the State Government and the Melbourne Olympic Park Trust to transform its soon-to-be-completed MCG-size training facility alongside the Lexus Centre into a match-day venue for its VFL team.

And the AFL, which has been searching for a second-tier ground to stage big under-18 TAC fixtures and national under-age matches, looks set to become a player in the Olympic Park and Lexus redevelopment, possibly building a new grandstand and helping to fund the new facility to be used by AFL Victoria.

Magpies chief executive Gary Pert said the club would also investigate whether Collingwood's VFL games could be played under lights at the new ground, just as rugby league, rugby union, soccer and athletic events have been run there at night.

"The ground will obviously be used as a training facility, and if it worked and if all the criteria could be met to play VFL games there, we would be keen to do that," he said. "We've got lights and I would have to get independent advice as to whether they would be strong enough to contest football games. They are certainly good enough for the athletes."

The Victorian Institute of Sport and all major Victorian athletic events will be moved to a redevelopment at Albert Park at the site of the Bob Jane Stadium as a direct result of Collingwood's tenancy agreement with the MOPT and the new rectangular stadium set to become the home of Melbourne Victory, Melbourne Storm and potentially the Melbourne Football Club. Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, a driving force behind the Magpies' historic move from Victoria Park, remains on the board of Athletics Australia.

Originally, the Magpies were to have been given the rectangular stadium site as their training ground but relinquished their right to that land in exchange for the Olympic Park athletics stadium.

The redevelopment is conservatively expected to be completed within two years but rebuilding cannot start until the athletics events and the VIS can move into Albert Park.

The size, proximity and quality of the new training ground has loomed as a tantalising one for the VFL as well as the competition's governing body given its lack of control over the MCG.

"We're working closely with Collingwood and the Department of Youth, Sport and Recreation over the possibility of staging under-18 and VFL games there," said AFL chief Andrew Demetriou.

"It's got some merit and the discussions surrounding the grandstand being built by the AFL through our facilities reserve and using it for AFL Victoria is a possibility."

Although it was once mooted that the Demons would share the training venue with Collingwood, that possibility appears certain not to eventuate and even the prospect of Melbourne having a training venue within the Olympic Park precinct has become more remote.

The Demons will start training at their new ground at Casey early next month.