Nathan Carroll

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:

Plus we've got Raph Clarke and Jimmy Gwilt,.
Both of who are not week-in week-out FB or CHBs.

With Raph the signs were very promising late in the year that he can bea running defender ona back flank/pocket.

Gwilt did not impress me in most games he played last year...and in particular down back. He looks more promisng up forward. However Gwilt is still well off the pace and seems to have trouble reading the play well. Hopefully he can improve...
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 25 Oct 2008 9:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:
borderbarry wrote:If we take him, we would have taken more players from AFL clubs than kids in the draft this year.
To me this is a sign of a coach not having enough confidence in himself or the team in general.

The hawks coach, Clarkson, was much more bolder in his approach in recruiting, yes he picked up a couple of players that have previously played at other AFL clubs but not as much as we will if we secure the extra three next year
Don't totally agree with that. Clarkson came in when Hawks were sh1t. RL has a possible contender. Different stages of development IMO.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:[

HE PUNCHES HIS OWN TEAMMATES OUT IN PUBLIC!!....

An absolute moron of the highest order...
At Carroll's defence it was Ben Holland that he decked! Probably quite a popular bloke at Melbourne as a result.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:

At Carroll's defence it was Ben Holland that he decked! Probably quite a popular bloke at Melbourne as a result.
Can't argue with that, Ben Holland is the worst AFL footballer I have ever seen. How he ever got to play AFL is beyond me. Probably because his brother could play.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote: As well as Max Hudghton, even if Matt Maguire never played another game, we've got Jason Blake, and we've got Sam Fisher established as being able to handle the defensive side. That's 3-4.

I think you missed the part where I said that it is desirable to be able keep S Fisher free to be an attacking player rather than tied down asa CHB or FB.

If Max is out injured and Maguire fails to come back ok....then in your scenario Blake is FB and S Fisher CHB.
Didn't miss it at all - but I'm fine with Blake at FB and Fisher at CHB in the circumstance where Hudghton and Maguire are unavailable. I value the list spot far more than the contingency. The big problem we'd still have under the circumstance is that Fisher is better defensively than Carroll in most situations (Carroll has the edge on shutting down leads) anyway, so we're not really that much better off trying to swap a matchup for Carroll than for whatever other warm body we can come up with.

We should make no mistake, if Max Hudghton goes down, we're going to struggle against better forwards. Carroll will not change that.

If Carroll commanded a spot in the 22 adding value, I migh think there was some value to picking him up. He doesn't, and things have to go extremely wrong for him to be able to prove a stopgap.

He's welcome to the training facilities though.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Most players invited to train with clubs do not actually get picked up...

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Most players invited to train with clubs do not actually get picked up...
Thanks oh wise one...

I've already mentioned that about three times...

But I guess it may look better coming from you :roll: :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
MasonCJ2
Club Player

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about - he'll be a very useful player, terrific record and we really need him.

We are talking about Scorpions seconds, aren't we?

Develop your own, Ross, develop your own.

We are a sniff
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:

And we all know what a flowerwit Holland is - deserves to be punched. Just ask his girlfriend.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:

Can't argue with that, Ben Holland is the worst AFL footballer I have ever seen. How he ever got to play AFL is beyond me. Probably because his brother could play.
Now that is a great reason to hit him then. On that system in the 80's at the Saints alll we would have been doing is hitting each other.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:

:lol: yeah. i reckon he gets bonus points for punching ben holland. of all the blokes that deserves it...

cant believe he had the nerve to sue richmond for not giving him some dodgy property deal. for a bloke that never got a kick in 5 years - hes lucky he ever got anything.

him and his brother were the most over-paid greed hacks in afl history.

always asking for money. never ever performing.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Most amusing. Who needs the Sunday papers. Great work. :lol:

I don't know too much about Caroll, so here's my question: Whilst not comparing him (skillwise or personwise) could he do a jod like Voss did in defence?

RL is showing a liking for dour defenders, and maybe he's sizing NC up for that reason.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Since I was suggesting they were options if all of Max Hudghton, Jason Blake, Matt Maguire, Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert go down, I fail to see your point.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Most players invited to train with clubs do not actually get picked up...
Thanks oh wise one...

I've already mentioned that about three times...

But I guess it may look better coming from you :roll: :roll:
Then why "oh you can only say it one" did you repeat yourself THREE times??

Oh thats right because you think that you are the God of SS that can deem what others post.

Good ole chip on the shoulder St Fid...only you go have a go at a poster posting something once and in the same crack praise yourself for saying it three times :roll: :roll:
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 26 Oct 2008 6:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think some need reminding..as of now.....

Greg Hutchison is Football Manager..
Greg will now assume responsibility for day-to-day operations management...

Matthew Drain is General Manager Football – List Management.
Matthew will now focus on player contracts, management liaison, playing list development and recruitment.....

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Since I was suggesting they were options if all of Max Hudghton, Jason Blake, Matt Maguire, Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert go down, I fail to see your point.
Yes I understand your view that they can be options.

Howevert IMO I would not want to rely on either Raph or Gwilt to play FB or CHB .....and so hence would like another option than what is at the club to play FB or CHB if required.

With Sam I do not see it as him going down...but rather the preference to play him in a more attacking role.

Our defence is ok.....but our midfield...or rather super midfield is short of talent to match the cats and Hawks. so I want Sam, Gram and BJ all free to rotate through the midfield.

Now the counter to that is to rather than take Carrol or another tall defender is to use the place instead for another young mid.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:our super midfield is short of talent to match the Cats and Hawks.
i'd be looking at both the clarkes, particularly raph, to spend more time in the midfield. he showed a bit of ball magnet ability in the last part of the season.

has very good skills for a bloke of his size, the only query is whether he has the tank.

s. fisher is another who has been good when given a shot there and agree with gilbert and gram, also.

b, cousins also would be a useful addition.

markp
Saintsational Legend

It could be worse.... apparently Tim Watson reported seeing a happy looking Damien Peverill walking out of the Lexus Centre during the week.... :shock: :lol:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Howevert IMO I would not want to rely on either Raph or Gwilt to play FB or CHB .....and so hence would like another option than what is at the club to play FB or CHB if required.
How many do you need? Most teams only carry two tall forwards. We've got five legitimite tall defenders. We've got at least another three or four guys who can play there if needed. I don't see a need for any type of defender on our list. I'd be more than happy to add a quality defender, but since when is Nathan Carroll a quality defender?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Personally I reckon you only have to look at the bloke to see what he would bring to us.

Looks like a total nuf-nuf.

Plays like a total nuf-nuf.

Welcome to the Saints.....

linz
Club Player

Gardiner (OK) + Cousins (Uhm OK) + Carroll (sorry no way)

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:Gardiner (OK) + Cousins (Uhm OK) + Carroll (sorry no way)
Gardiner OK

linz
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
Gardiner OK
No I think we could cope with Cousins also. Trouble is maybe Carroll has NO EXCUSES. He maybe is just bad. (but I hope not)

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
Gardiner OK
No I think we could cope with Cousins also. Trouble is maybe Carroll has NO EXCUSES. He maybe is just bad. (but I hope not)
I recall at the time I was prepared to give MG another go because he seemed to have some sort of remorse. He wanted to make a new start and he genuinely seemed regretful.

I still haven't seen (maybe I missed it) Cuz saying sorry and being remorseful.

And maybe I've seen more about why he shouldn't be taken.

I have not been a fan of Cuz for a long time, and am still not.

Haven't see anything from him yet professing his changed way of life - in fact can only recall his smug looks when he has run from the Coppers at the booze bus and been arrested and displayed "such is life" as he did.

Maybe the Fat Controller knows more than anyone.

Personally I would detest him being on our list.

Hate him, hate his history, hate his record.

Unless I see a really public statement of him stating his regret and admitting his problem and really wanting to turn around, then I am happy to let him rot with his mates, like Mainwaring.

Boohoo I'm harsh.

Narcan might have got him (Mainwaring) over the line if "someone" had bothered to call earlier.

Or of course they could have had no drugs at all...... :roll:

If someone can possibly direct me to where Cuz, our new No. 9 has made an open public apology to the mass of kids who used to wear his number, please let me know.

But I haven't yet seen it.

Ripper role model, we must get him....

Can't wait til my kid et al look up to him and ask me why he's a Saints hero................

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Yeah, its all about the bloody kids...again! :roll: