Nathan Carroll

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

WayneJudson42 wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:LOL

Half the forum is having wet-dreams about picking up Cuz, but no way to Carrol?

IMHO, Cuz is a bigger tool, and as far as clubment go... Cuz will be remembered in the same boat as Carey for ripping the heart out of their respective clubs.

If he has a role, and the coach reckons he's capable, then good luck to him.

Not the first tool to don the RB&W... and won't be the last.

Seems that their's a "plan B" being hatched to cover Goose, much like M Clarke.

Who else do we have? Blake is ok, Raph? Gwilt? Fiora?

Judging by the club's decision to trade for Ray as well as Cuz, they obviously believe that we are a chance in the next 2 years. So why play a kid in the backline when you already have Goose and Dempster out?

Bringing in kids for the sake of it is a massive risk if you think we are genuine contenders. There are only so many kids you can develop in any one year. After that, you go into a total rebuild phase, which is what we are not yet ready for.

IMHO, Max is a very courageous player and first rate stopper. What happens if he goes down again?

If NC can come in and do a job of stopping a 2nd or 3rd forward... then he's worth a punt.

Oh, and maybe his attitude has to do with being at a certain club?

Plugger toned it down and played great footy at the Swans, as has Hall to a lesser degree... and as some one else mentioned, Gherig.
with all due respect, don't you think Plugger, Hall, Cousins and Gehrig are slightly better players than Carrol? i think they were worth the risk.

Carrol is a tool playing in the defense of the crappest team going around.
With all due respect??? Have you turned over a new leaf of politeness?
no, just trying to see if you speak any sense at all :wink:

the way i see it, it is an insult to Max to get him in as back up to such a great bloke. would really have to do a lot to prove himself before i would allow him anywhere near this club.

i hope we don't go near him.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Moccha wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: i know its a waste of time i just feel that if its the only median to vent well so be it
Again, he has only been invited to train and that's it...

Why bother wasting the CEO's time
Hey credit where credit is due.

Don't shoot the poor guy down. It was my dumb idea

Maybe try matthewd@saints.com.au
So does Matthew Drain have a say in what players the coach wants??
As list manager this is exactly what he has a say in.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote: As list manager this is exactly what he has a say in.
Sorry, I really don't believe a football manager has much to do with what the coach wants at the club...

I thought his job was to manage the list that the coach and the recruiting staff want at the club...

Did Ken Sheldon have a say last year on what players to get into the club

IMO a Football Managers job is to look after the list that the Coach and recruiting staff select..

and has NO input on what players to select to the club

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Moccha wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: i know its a waste of time i just feel that if its the only median to vent well so be it
Again, he has only been invited to train and that's it...

Why bother wasting the CEO's time
Hey credit where credit is due.

Don't shoot the poor guy down. It was my dumb idea

Maybe try matthewd@saints.com.au
So does Matthew Drain have a say in what players the coach wants??
I thought he was in charge of list management

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Well I believe a Football Manager manages the list of players at the Club, that is the list that the Coach and recruiting staff select, and has no input in the selection of players to the Club IMO...

I don't ever recall our last football manager Ken Sheldon, having any say in the selection of players, his job was to manage the players that have been selected...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Has talent but geez, his attitude is not good historically.

I can stomach a punt on Cousins but the leadership group would need to test this bloke out very thoroughly before we even considered him.

If he comes, I'd make him shave off every bit of hair on his face and head off. Looks like a serious wanker and it reflects in his play.

His biggest bonus would be that he would allow cover for Sam Fisher to play a running role, and he'd be a fine back up in the advent Max broke down.

Interesting to see what happens.
Post of the thread.

Anybody who thinks the pro Caroll draft are enthusastic towards him should read the above.

I am not pro Carroll - I think he is a tool. The way he carried on after the Dees beat a severly undermanned Saints in the 2006 finals shows he is a goose.

However I have a deal of faith in RL and the club to carry out their plan. It is obvious they think they have a shot at the flag otherwise why bother drafting Cousins.

If Carroll can fill a hole and free up Sam Fisher and take the second or third forward he may have some value.

But FFS shave of that idiotic moe and take off a headband. Players with headbands look like effing halfwit posers.
I AGREE WITH THE POST ABOVE.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:I would sign Kosi to a ten year contract, if will keep that lunatic Carroll away from our club.

No problem if he wants to play for Sandy, but he should never be a Saint.

I'm all for individuality, but one look at him shows that he is not on the same planet. Not suitable for footy at the highest level, which is what we aspire to.
On that logic, let's sign Fiora for 5 years... as well as Rix. Both well groomed, fine, upstanding citizens.
i think its already been established that carroll can't play footy either...
If by saying he was on the verge of an AA selection only two or three seasons ago, established that he cant play footy, then yes, you're right.

If thats not what you're comment meant, then no, you're wrong.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I haven't read all of the posts...but I think NC is a weird choice of player for the club to want to pick up...just plain weird!

If he plays with us can he lose the Mo :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Crikey...I've come back two days later to find the post had exploded with views.

My own is that he would be handy back up. Seems a tough unit, and he's had good days not that long ago. Playing with the Dees can't have been that easy.

Remember Martin Pike. No one would touch him except for Lethal. Ended up with a few medals. I'm not saying he is anywhere near as good as MP though for those ready to jump down my throat.

Anyway, they'll assess him at training, and see what his attitude is like, and take it from there. Hard bitten backmen don't grow on trees.

Might be handy, especially if the Dees have tp pick up alot of his salary. Could be on of those no-brainers. Nothing really lost if he doesn't do the right thing.

I think they do have to pick up alot of his salary. Right?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:Crikey...I've come back two days later to find the post had exploded with views.

My own is that he would be handy back up. Seems a tough unit, and he's had good days not that long ago. Playing with the Dees can't have been that easy.

Remember Martin Pike. No one would touch him except for Lethal. Ended up with a few medals. I'm not saying he is anywhere near as good as MP though for those ready to jump down my throat.

Anyway, they'll assess him at training, and see what his attitude is like, and take it from there. Hard bitten backmen don't grow on trees.

Might be handy, especially if the Dees have tp pick up alot of his salary. Could be on of those no-brainers. Nothing really lost if he doesn't do the right thing.

I think they do have to pick up alot of his salary. Right?
i agree. cant believe how hysterical people get over how a guy looks. lets assess him objectively. he can play a bit and key backmen are very rare these days....

lets not jump down his throat. i doubt anyone here actually knows him personally as a bloke. playing at the demons would be very frustrating.

lets wait and see how he goes at training. asses his body. attitude, injuries. speed, endurance etc and make a proper choice based on science. a bit of mongrel would not hurt the saints either...

remember melbourne would be paying half his age. wed be paying sweet f-all for him. they said on sen that he was on 240 and the demons had offered to pay 120 of that next year for another club.

FullMonty
Club Player

I guess there is a positive in all of this.

As full back at Melbourne he would have had plenty of practice! :P :P :P

Montyrules!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FullMonty wrote:I guess there is a positive in all of this.

As full back at Melbourne he would have had plenty of practice! :P :P :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: very true.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

While I'm not keen on Carroll (I'm in the Zac Dawson camp) I reckon Carroll is a reasonable player. He's not the dud that many on here are suggesting. Saying that he couldn't get a game in the worst team in the comp is a bit misleading as Bailey stamped the papers of a number of senior players this year.

No matter how bad the Dees were going blokes like Carroll & Jeff White couldn't get a look in. They were running with a youth policy & blokes that don't fit into the long term plan spent the year at Sandy.

Look if he proves himself to Roo, Lenny & Bally then he's obviously worth the punt purely as a depth player. Best case scenario he plays 25 games for Sandy. Worse case we need him in the ones & he holds down a key defensive post.

I still think Zac Dawson has a better upside (taller, more athletic & could potentially be part of the team for the next 8 years).

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:I would sign Kosi to a ten year contract, if will keep that lunatic Carroll away from our club.

No problem if he wants to play for Sandy, but he should never be a Saint.

I'm all for individuality, but one look at him shows that he is not on the same planet. Not suitable for footy at the highest level, which is what we aspire to.
Finally we can agree on something... (im also liking the sound of the kosi contract too.. :wink: )....

There is a certain standard that needs to be set, and Carroll is so far below it he will bring those around him down...

HE PUNCHES HIS OWN TEAMMATES OUT IN PUBLIC!!....

An absolute moron of the highest order...

Richter
SS Life Member

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
Richter wrote:Proud sponsor of Sammy G and Jarryd Geary 2008
Is Jarryd Geary Jarryn's twin brother??
These new fangled names :oops: :oops:

I did meet a couple of identical twins as clients this week. Strange experience.....

Anyhow, now rectified, thanks FQF! :wink: :D

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Richter
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote: You're comments are valid, but what does Carroll do to address those concerns? He's a plodder with little talent and ignores team rules. He wouldn't be much better than any of the players I listed. We're not talking about an ageing star here, we're talking about an ageing hack.
Cheers msg. Look I don't dispute that it seems like he is a bit of a d1****@d. I just wonder if some others (maybe you even?) are letting that colour their view of him as a player.

I remember him from back in '05-06 and he seemed like a pretty good stopper. Certainly first 22 AFL standard. Now I know that he's just had a dirty year - the only game I saw of him this year was for Sandy against the Scorps on one of the ABC televised games - he was hopeless.....

But why does a decent player go to crap - he is only 28 after all? If RL and the coaching staf think that they may be able to resurrect him into what he was 2-3 years ago, well I'll trust them and the leadership of the club to keep him in line.

I find this line from one of the Australian reports in 2006 interesting....
The Australian wrote:Nathan Carroll plays full-back like no one else in the modern game. Before football took over, he used to break junior records in sprints and jumps and throwing events. But it is his mean streak which sets him apart. He steps on toes and unprotected ankles and digs his knuckles into the soft bits between ribs. He yaps in your ear and gets in your face, with that absurd caricature of a moustache.

The way he played against St Kilda a week ago, you almost felt sorry for Fraser Gehrig.
Fact is that we do lack a bit of mongrel.... and you would think that given Fraser's past (on and off field) and his current role in seemingly being a link man for the club with potential recruits, that RL will be asking the G train for his opinion.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Of the posts in this thread...Richter's are the ones I most agree with.

There is no doubt that Carrol is shall we say "not of good character"...and my main worry is that he could be another S Lawrence who not only stuffs himself up, but of bigger concerns

This aspect would need to be given much thought......and the club would need to see what Carrol himself would undertake to rectify this behaviour.

Now having said that...we clearly lack another key defensive option and in particular as pointed out earlier in this thread that we want to free up Sam Fisher to be a creative and damaging player.....free from having to play CHB or FB.

Max can play FB...that we know....but he is one year older and history would tend to indicate that he is string chance to miss at least some of the year through injury.

Maguire we hope can play CHB...but has not looked the goods when played asa FB. Also with Maguire there may be a huge cloud over his feet. So we need a Plan B.

Plus with Maguire...maybe juts maybe he will be played forward in 2009???

Gilbert had an ordinary 2008 before finishing off the year very well. But at present he seems better suited to a flank.

Dempster
got better and better as the year went on...but will miss most of 2009.

Now yes we can recruit a kid...(and I think we will anyway)...but that kid will need some years before being a key defender....unless you do a Geelong and draft someone slightly older.

Unless everything goes right...we are lacking another key defender type....so you can fully understand why the Club is looking at Carrol. Even if they do not take him, I am at least encouraged that the Club is being very thorough and methodological in looking at our team and it's needs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Moccha wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:who do we contact do voice displeasure???

goodbye second membership...
Why not try this archief@saints.com.au

Tell us how you go
not a problem, its simply not good enough

when these players (the young core) came together they wanted to create a brotherhood of sorts...they believed they had the power to win the comp

a player like carroll is not helpful and will only cause garbage between a playing group

the man is a douche

Dear Mr Fraser ,
My name is Saints Premiers 2008 im an internet Critic of the club st kilda, me and my mates (also footy experts) from Saintsaitional reckon we shouldnt be looking at Nathan Carrol because we all reckon hes got a bad Mo and cause he played for the Dees he must be crap ... also we reckon cause he got all excited cause he beat us in 2005 hes an out and out d**khead ..... we reckon stuff what the bloke you pay big $$ to coach the team has to say on the matter we know better and we only want cleanshaven altar boys to play at our team. Never mind all the details that the footy department are privy to we have been to almost every game last year and saw most of the game except when i was in line to buy the over priced for and beverages but nothing really happens in the third Qtr anyway. so in closing Archie tell the team that they shouldnt get Carrol over wise im not going to renew my membership
cheers
Saints Premiers 2008

:lol:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

joffaboy wrote: But FFS shave of that idiotic moe and take off a headband. Players with headbands look like effing halfwit posers.
sorry cant resist... Bruce Doull had a moe AND a headband.
Not a bad player if I recall

Seeya
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
Unless everything goes right...we are lacking another key defender type....so you can fully understand why the Club is looking at Carrol. Even if they do not take him, I am at least encouraged that the Club is being very thorough and methodological in looking at our team and it's needs.
As well as Max Hudghton, even if Matt Maguire never played another game, we've got Jason Blake, and we've got Sam Fisher established as being able to handle the defensive side. That's 3-4.

We're developing Sam Gilbert with the appearance of defense in mind.

At very very best, Nathan Carroll would be a 28 year old recruit who would play IF Hughton, Blake or Gilbert were unavailable AND Maguire had made no progress.

That's not talking about recruiting a new kid, that's what we've already got.

To be clear on what Caroll provides:
'08: Wasn't that bad in context, but was not in the plans.
'07: Horrible.
'06: Good year, had a streak of 10 or so games where he was indomitable, and played with mogrel to boot.
'05: Played 6 matches, not especially good or bad.
Prior: Was one of a cast of Melbourne backmen who struggled to make the grade.

I don't care what he looks like, unless he playss a lot better than he has for most of his AFL career, he's simply not good enough to use a list spot on.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we take him, we would have taken more players from AFL clubs than kids in the draft this year.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Look not a big fan of Carroll, but, Gilham I thought would struggle and he is a premiership player so hey.

As BAM said, he would only be backup for an ageing Max so Fisher doesn't have to play key defence, not because he can't, but because we lose so much more when he does....

vacuous space
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:As well as Max Hudghton, even if Matt Maguire never played another game, we've got Jason Blake, and we've got Sam Fisher established as being able to handle the defensive side. That's 3-4.

We're developing Sam Gilbert with the appearance of defense in mind.
Plus we've got Raph Clarke and Jimmy Gwilt, both of whom have had good games playing key defence in the past. Jason Gram has played there. Jarryd Allen was a defender for most of his junior career. Then we've got this whole draft thing that's loaded with quality talls this year. Given a choice between pick 63 or Carroll, I'll take pick 63 every time. We don't need him and we don't have a spot for him.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:If we take him, we would have taken more players from AFL clubs than kids in the draft this year.
I would think (or hope) that they have just asked him to train, just in case the AFL don't agree with Cousins re admission to the AFL...

I would personally hope the Club would not grab 3 more players that have previously played at other clubs..

To me this is a sign of a coach not having enough confidence in himself or the team in general.

The hawks coach, Clarkson, was much more bolder in his approach in recruiting, yes he picked up a couple of players that have previously played at other AFL clubs but not as much as we will if we secure the extra three next year

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote: As well as Max Hudghton, even if Matt Maguire never played another game, we've got Jason Blake, and we've got Sam Fisher established as being able to handle the defensive side. That's 3-4.

I think you missed the part where I said that it is desirable to be able keep S Fisher free to be an attacking player rather than tied down asa CHB or FB.

If Max is out injured and Maguire fails to come back ok....then in your scenario Blake is FB and S Fisher CHB.

I also did not state that the club MUST take Carrol..just that I am encouraged that they are looking at adding a key defender (which may not be Carrol).

Now Blake to me had a very good year by his standards. But he is more your third back..rather than a regular FB or CHB.

However YES if Maguire and Max are both playing well IF Carrol was recruited then yes Blake may well keep carrol out of the seniors.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 25 Oct 2008 9:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....