Nathan Carroll

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FullMonty
Club Player

This would be the worst pick up since David Strooper in the PSD.

Surely Zac Dawson would be better as previously suggested.

Have we really going full circle from a youth policy to this????? :shock:

Montyrules!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Surely everyones kidding about Dawson?

I like the bloke, hes a nice kid, but as I said, hes had 3 or 4 years in the system and hes still skinner than Eljay Connors and isnt quick or mobile enough to be a tall midfielder. Just not big enough to be a KPP.

Carroll, on the other hand, is. He's experienced, can play on monster forwards or more mobile medium forwards and would be a cheap (!), handy B.A.C.K.U.P if needed.

I dont think anyone is saying we're about to base a premiership tilt on the shoulders of this bloke, but if he can fill in for Max on the occasion that Max has a niggle or needs a break (as he invariably will at his age) then its a risk worth taking.

HarveysDeciple

n1ck wrote:Surely everyones kidding about Dawson?

I like the bloke, hes a nice kid, but as I said, hes had 3 or 4 years in the system and hes still skinner than Eljay Connors and isnt quick or mobile enough to be a tall midfielder. Just not big enough to be a KPP.

Carroll, on the other hand, is. He's experienced, can play on monster forwards or more mobile medium forwards and would be a cheap (!), handy B.A.C.K.U.P if needed.

I dont think anyone is saying we're about to base a premiership tilt on the shoulders of this bloke, but if he can fill in for Max on the occasion that Max has a niggle or needs a break (as he invariably will at his age) then its a risk worth taking.
I like your enthusiasm on this one Nick, but I dont agree :wink:

Carroll is a very very very ordinary player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I am telling you this bloke is trouble. Ben has an illness this bloke will cause sickness within the club.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He's a d**khead and a dud. Would much rather we draft another tall kid or elevate Miles.

HarveysDeciple

mad saint guy wrote:He's a d**khead and a dud. Would much rather we draft another tall kid or elevate Miles.
I'd much rather Mcqualter play full back then Carroll to be honest

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:Great move.

About time you precious lot of nuffies realise that taking a player to fill a gap while you mature a list is not a bad thing.
JB my problem isn't that he's a recycled player. My problem is I don't think he's very good. In fact, barely makes it to ordinary IMO.

But the club are in a better position to evaluate his worth than me, and if they decide to take him I'll (grudgingly) welcome him to the club.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

LOL

Half the forum is having wet-dreams about picking up Cuz, but no way to Carrol?

IMHO, Cuz is a bigger tool, and as far as clubment go... Cuz will be remembered in the same boat as Carey for ripping the heart out of their respective clubs.

If he has a role, and the coach reckons he's capable, then good luck to him.

Not the first tool to don the RB&W... and won't be the last.

Seems that their's a "plan B" being hatched to cover Goose, much like M Clarke.

Who else do we have? Blake is ok, Raph? Gwilt? Fiora?

Judging by the club's decision to trade for Ray as well as Cuz, they obviously believe that we are a chance in the next 2 years. So why play a kid in the backline when you already have Goose and Dempster out?

Bringing in kids for the sake of it is a massive risk if you think we are genuine contenders. There are only so many kids you can develop in any one year. After that, you go into a total rebuild phase, which is what we are not yet ready for.

IMHO, Max is a very courageous player and first rate stopper. What happens if he goes down again?

If NC can come in and do a job of stopping a 2nd or 3rd forward... then he's worth a punt.

Oh, and maybe his attitude has to do with being at a certain club?

Plugger toned it down and played great footy at the Swans, as has Hall to a lesser degree... and as some one else mentioned, Gherig.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

WayneJudson42 wrote:LOL

IMHO, Cuz is a bigger tool, and as far as clubment go... Cuz will be remembered in the same boat as Carey for ripping the heart out of their respective clubs.

Judging by the club's decision to trade for Ray as well as Cuz, they obviously believe that we are a chance in the next 2 years. So why play a kid in the backline when you already have Goose and Dempster out?

Bringing in kids for the sake of it is a massive risk if you think we are genuine contenders. There are only so many kids you can develop in any one year. After that, you go into a total rebuild phase, which is what we are not yet ready for.

IMHO, Max is a very courageous player and first rate stopper. What happens if he goes down again?

If NC can come in and do a job of stopping a 2nd or 3rd forward... then he's worth a punt.

Plugger toned it down and played great footy at the Swans, as has Hall to a lesser degree... and as some one else mentioned, Gherig.
with all due respect, don't you think Plugger, Hall, Cousins and Gehrig are slightly better players than Carrol? i think they were worth the risk.

Carrol is a tool playing in the defense of the crappest team going around.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I'd rather redraft Ferg

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
kos
Club Player

i think its a great idea drafting carroll.
he will be back up to our key backs, and a suitable replacement for max for mabe a couple of years untill we unearth a long term prospect.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:i think its a great idea drafting carroll.
he will be back up to our key backs, and a suitable replacement for max for mabe a couple of years untill we unearth a long term prospect.
why dont we look at alex silvagni?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Has talent but geez, his attitude is not good historically.

I can stomach a punt on Cousins but the leadership group would need to test this bloke out very thoroughly before we even considered him.

If he comes, I'd make him shave off every bit of hair on his face and head off. Looks like a serious wanker and it reflects in his play.

His biggest bonus would be that he would allow cover for Sam Fisher to play a running role, and he'd be a fine back up in the advent Max broke down.

Interesting to see what happens.
Post of the thread.

Anybody who thinks the pro Caroll draft are enthusastic towards him should read the above.

I am not pro Carroll - I think he is a tool. The way he carried on after the Dees beat a severly undermanned Saints in the 2006 finals shows he is a goose.

However I have a deal of faith in RL and the club to carry out their plan. It is obvious they think they have a shot at the flag otherwise why bother drafting Cousins.

If Carroll can fill a hole and free up Sam Fisher and take the second or third forward he may have some value.

But FFS shave of that idiotic moe and take off a headband. Players with headbands look like effing halfwit posers.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
Because Silvagni is not up to AFl standard.

God help us - Silvagni, Dawson - who next????

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:

ok maybe he isnt, but how do we know if we dont rookie draft him he is the same height etc as maxxie

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:

ok maybe he isnt, but how do we know if we dont rookie draft him he is the same height etc as maxxie
He is an excellent VFL player. Not knocking the kid but has been at the Scorps for quite a few seasons and the Saints have seen plenty of him.

They have not recruited him for a reason.

Look I am not wrapt in Carroll but he may be cheap and may help us in defence. Is big and can play AFL.

May work or may be a disaster. I like St.Dac will gredgingly give him support if he gets a gig and hope like hell he goes OK.

A bit like Dempster.

Lance or James??

Richter
SS Life Member

People have to wake up and look at our defensive situation.

1. Goose down, maybe gone.

2. Dempster out for most of 2009, perhaps the whole season.

3. Max is tuening 33 next year. Potentially a hamstring away from the end.

4. To have any hope we must play Goddard in the midfield, with Gram having bursts and Sam Fisher playing more of a rebounding defender role.

5. Baker has not played a decent game in defence for 3 years.

6. Sam Gilbert got cleaned up by Williams in the prelim.

There's all the negatives... what about the positives.....?

1. Raph coming of age (but as a rebounding defender not really as a KPP back.

2. Blake is a reliable KPP back

3. SOS is our defensive coach and has performed marvels over the last couple of years.

That's it.

In summary if one or more of Blake or Max go down who takes their place? Fish can, but compromises his skill set. Gwilt? Gram?.....

I don't know a lot about Carroll but I'm prepared to trust the club to decide on this one. Remember Brent Guerra? Part of the reason he was delisted was because he's an A#1 tool.... now he fills a defensive post at Hawthorn and has a shiny premiership medallion around his neck.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We've already got plenty of options in defence.

Hudghton
Maguire
S.Fisher
Blake
Gilbert
R.Clarke
Goddard
Gwilt
Allen
Miles

Carroll is old, has little skill and is an absolute moron. Instead of constantly recruiting rejects to fill in if Max is injured, why don't we recruit someone who could take his spot for the next 10 years?

Richter
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:We've already got plenty of options in defence.

Hudghton - a hamstring away from the end
Maguire - may never get back, been out for the best part of 2.5 years
S.Fisher - better value as a rebounding defender
Blake - yes but is also a utility back/tagging mid/ruck
Gilbert - towelled up by Hawthorn's 3rd forward - serious doubts over his defensive capabilities against decent forwards
R.Clarke - as for Sam Fish, except that he's not much chop as a KP back
Goddard - must play midfield for us to be a serious flag chance
Gwilt - still not convinced he is good enough as a back man (or anywhere else)
Allen - totally unproven at AFL level
Miles - ditto
Carroll is old, has little skill and is an absolute moron. Instead of constantly recruiting rejects to fill in if Max is injured, why don't we recruit someone who could take his spot for the next 10 years?
We should do that, but such a recruit is realistically 2-4 years away from a starting position. We need defensive cover now.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
stinger
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Sam Fisher and take the second or third forward he may have some value.

But FFS shave of that idiotic moe and take off a headband. Players with headbands look like effing halfwit posers.

he's trying to hide his circumcision scar :roll: :wink: :lol: 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:LOL

with all due respect, don't you think Plugger, Hall, Cousins and Gehrig are slightly better players than Carrol? i think they were worth the risk.

Carrol is a tool playing in the defense of the crappest team going around.
With all due respect??? Have you turned over a new leaf of politeness?

Never said that Carroll was as good as those players. If he was, there'd be more interest in him from clubs.

Just making the point that people can change in a different environment.

He's not a magic bullet to our defence... but a depth player with AFL experience.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
derby Street
Club Player

Please don't do it Ross. Why do we have to be involved in every discard thrown up - especially one that carries so much baggage. Put the time into someone else on our list.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

If we pick him up we will be an absolute laughing stock... and rightly so... he is terrible with a bad attitude and idiotic

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Their should be a lot of players nominating in the PSD and I hope the Club asks more than the one player to train with us.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!