2009 Draw Released

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigmicka
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
bigmicka wrote:To all complaining about Friday night games. Or good Free to air TV slots. Saying that it is bad because we made 4th position last year. It means nothing. We have played crap football over the last couple of years. Make our game look good and we will get the great slots.

Like last year I will not be buying a membership. Mainly due to the percentage that goes into the AFL coffers. If you are like me remember to still give to the club in another capacity. Sponsor a player, make a donation, Just do something.

mic
If that is how the afl fixture!!!!!!

Play good open footy and win no games does not mean you get great slots...
Ok i Stand corrected you need to play good open footy and win games.

Here are some stats.

in

2002 we won 5 games in 2003 we played 1 Friday night, 12 Saturday and 8 Sunday.

2003 we won 11 games in 2004 we played 2 Friday night, 11 Saturday and 8 Sunday.

2004 we won 16 games in 2005 we played 5 Friday night, 9 Saturday and 7 Sunday.

So when we were playing our best footy with an open exciting game and winning we were rewarded for it. Last year we won 13 games, some off them not very convincing, our bad games were really bad. Surprise surprise we don't get the good slots.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
markp
Saintsational Legend

bigmicka wrote: So when we were playing our best footy with an open exciting game and winning we were rewarded for it. Last year we won 13 games, some off them not very convincing, our bad games were really bad. Surprise surprise we don't get the good slots.
Yup, don't recall too many games that were worthy of adding to the library.

hellorocky
Club Player

anyone seen the NAB cup draw yet?

HarveysDeciple

would people rather a good draw that enables us maximum chance of making the 8 with games at crap times, or the hardest possible draw making life very tough, but with games at great times for fans?

I know what I would prefer....

Kate
Club Player

I want my club to still be here in ten years time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:I think the fixture is great.

Geelong once. Hawthorn once. Collingwood once.

No trip to the Gabba. One trip to Perth (and a game we should win)

Melbourne, West Coast and Essendon twice.

Two games in Adelaide within 3 weeks is good. You'd rather play at the same venue in quick succession than say Brisbane then Perth.

And i play on Saturday's so looks like I'll only miss one game in Melbourne!

More Friday nights would be nice though.

Exactly right. Things like what day we play or are we on free to air dont win or lose games but who you play and where do. In that regard it is a very good draw.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Will monday night be foxtel?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
GrumpyOne

clarky449 wrote:Will monday night be foxtel?
No. Ch7.

kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

I have noticed some people complaining about only 1 game at the MCG in 2009 (rd 22 v Demons).

Observations:

2008 - we played 14 games at the Dome + 2 at the MCG.
2009 - 15 games at the Dome + 1 at the MCG.

Question:
Do most people view this as a positive change (since additional game at our Home ground)???
or
Do most people wish we played more games at the MCG (essentially because MCG = location of finals football)???

Personally, I am of the mind that the 2009 draw with 1 extra Dome game = a benefit.

Thoughts.

go saints!
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

That draw isn't all bad. 15 games at TD, 16 in Melbourne, Geelong and Hawthorn once (albeit away both times), Melbourne at Cararra. Coulda been a lot worse.

As far as Friday night games go, them's the breaks. We've had our fair share over the past few years.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

haven't read all posts But do we really only get 10 Free to air??????
the only good point about that is the lack of ads and the LIVE ness of Fox.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

From a purely footy perspective I think the draw's pretty good.

Only one trip to Subi, no Gabba or Kardinia Park. 16 games at the Dome.
Don't mind the two AAMI games in the first five rounds. From rounds 6 - 17 10 out of 12 games at the Dome.
Not a bad outcome footy wise IMO.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:Its s*** that we have 2 matches at AAMI in 2 weeks
read it properly .....
round one and round 9

what is shite is collingwood travelling out of melbourne for 3 games...
yup, thats right once to aami, once to anz and once to the gabba.

and we go to subbi twice..round 11 and round 18

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
read it properly .....
round one and round 9

no round one we play sydney.

cowboy66

Gang I seriously need help..I am getting married next year Sept 19 a Sat - before I pay the deposit on the whole thing thats not grand final day is it??? Prelim I can cope with cos its the only real date available but GF weekend is a whole other story....

Cowboy rox
markp
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
read it properly .....
round one and round 9

Once in round 15 aint it?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

cowboy66 wrote:Gang I seriously need help..I am getting married next year Sept 19 a Sat - before I pay the deposit on the whole thing thats not grand final day is it??? Prelim I can cope with cos its the only real date available but GF weekend is a whole other story....
no grand final day is the 26th
the sat after

cowboy66

thanks Ralphy was pretty sure it was 4 weeks of finals....guess that means 1st week of married life I will get to see the Saints holding aloft the 09 cup.....nice

Cowboy rox
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

HarveysDeciple wrote:would people rather a good draw that enables us maximum chance of making the 8 with games at crap times, or the hardest possible draw making life very tough, but with games at great times for fans?

I know what I would prefer....
Though I find all the above quite galling too...I ultimately came to the same conclusion as HarveysDisciple.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

crap run.
horrible, i cant believe we only play 1 game at the MCG, honestly, i think we should request more away games at the G....whats the Dome going to do for us? sh!t all when comes finals time, we need to know the MCG off the back of our heads so i would think a min of 4 games a year for us at the G. 1 is pathetic, and its against a pathetic team also just to top it off :roll:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Art Vandelay wrote:By Comparison, here's how Collingwood fared:

Only play 2 of this years Top 8 twice: Swans & Bulldogs

14 games at the MCG

Only 4 interstate trips: GABBA x1, Subiaco x1, Sydney x1, Adelaide x1

And then the AFL has the audacity to say that the fixture is fair and equitable.
however they still struggle..

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Pretty easy to see whay RL and AF had very diffeirng things to say about the draw

From a "who we play" perspective its fine, from a "where we play and when" it stinks. Im glad we arent trying to entice a new major sponsor right now (for any number of reasons I guess hehe)

Archie's right..its a whole new ball park for us, especially the lack of Friday night games. Put in blunt terms, we arent the young sexy fresh side we were in 2005 & 2006. If Carlton/Richmond/Bulldogs/Hawthorn are the Gabriella Cilmi's, I'm afraid we appear to be Renee Geyer

I dont mind the early travel and we play AAMI OK. What I do hate is that they are both Friday night games and, unless Ch 7 have a huge change of heart between now and then, they wont be shown live. Sucks.

Sunday twilights are personally OK for me, but I can well understand that a great many people hate them. HAS anyone ever copped 5 in a season??

Every year the AFL trot out this "we must maximise attendances" crap. Heres a newsflash Gillon, absolutely no-one except yourself looked at that draw this morning and remarked "Oh goody, gazillions of people will be able to go this season". They went STRAIGHT to their own teams draw and picked it to teeny little pieces. The average footy fan does not give a flying fungle about the total attendances for the games during the year..they just want to be able to see their team play as often as possible, be it on TV (preferably live) or live at the game if it suits. Oh and just on that GIllon you rocket scientist, playing Collingwood and St KIlda as a Pies home game at TD reallllllly maximises attendances doesnt it ya twit! Oh thats right, I missed the proviso that reads "except where it compromises stadium deals done by Collingwood and TD/MCG "

So the bubble has burst, we arent the bright precocious new kids any more. C'mon Saints, we just have to show em we can kick ass anyway. Bloody well sign up in your masses, turn up in droves to games, and lets show the bloody AFL that Renee Geyer has a bit of life in the old bones yet!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Pretty easy to see whay RL and AF had very diffeirng things to say about the draw

From a "who we play" perspective its fine, from a "where we play and when" it stinks. Im glad we arent trying to entice a new major sponsor right now (for any number of reasons I guess hehe)

Archie's right..its a whole new ball park for us, especially the lack of Friday night games. Put in blunt terms, we arent the young sexy fresh side we were in 2005 & 2006. If Carlton/Richmond/Bulldogs/Hawthorn are the Gabriella Cilmi's, I'm afraid we appear to be Renee Geyer

I dont mind the early travel and we play AAMI OK. What I do hate is that they are both Friday night games and, unless Ch 7 have a huge change of heart between now and then, they wont be shown live. Sucks.

Sunday twilights are personally OK for me, but I can well understand that a great many people hate them. HAS anyone ever copped 5 in a season??

Every year the AFL trot out this "we must maximise attendances" crap. Heres a newsflash Gillon, absolutely no-one except yourself looked at that draw this morning and remarked "Oh goody, gazillions of people will be able to go this season". They went STRAIGHT to their own teams draw and picked it to teeny little pieces. The average footy fan does not give a flying fungle about the total attendances for the games during the year..they just want to be able to see their team play as often as possible, be it on TV (preferably live) or live at the game if it suits. Oh and just on that GIllon you rocket scientist, playing Collingwood and St KIlda as a Pies home game at TD reallllllly maximises attendances doesnt it ya twit! Oh thats right, I missed the proviso that reads "except where it compromises stadium deals done by Collingwood and TD/MCG "

So the bubble has burst, we arent the bright precocious new kids any more. C'mon Saints, we just have to show em we can kick ass anyway. Bloody well sign up in your masses, turn up in droves to games, and lets show the bloody AFL that Renee Geyer has a bit of life in the old bones yet!!!!
Maybe the AFL think like our members did this year and dont think we play attractive footy and they wouldnt be wrong. We do not but at least we have a good draw as far as sides played. We will get crowds if we win an and play attractive footy. As far as I can see it is an excellent draw and it is up to us to prove we belong on Fridays like we did for the last 4 years.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:Pretty easy to see whay RL and AF had very diffeirng things to say about the draw

Maybe the AFL think like our members did this year and dont think we play attractive footy and they wouldnt be wrong. We do not but at least we have a good draw as far as sides played. We will get crowds if we win an and play attractive footy. As far as I can see it is an excellent draw and it is up to us to prove we belong on Fridays like we did for the last 4 years.
For someone that was complaining about family Sunday previously, I struggle to see how this is a excellent draw. :?

Additionally, how you can tell what is a good draw before you kick a ball is beyond me....Two games at Subi this year was a big advantage for example.

Five twilight games is very disruptive to family life, player recoveries, corporate entertaining and brand growth. One or two is enough, but five :shock:

Oh well, did we ask for Sundays this year I wonder?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

For someone that was complaining about family Sunday previously, I struggle to see how this is a excellent draw. :?

Additionally, how you can tell what is a good draw before you kick a ball is beyond me....Two games at Subi this year was a big advantage for example.

Five twilight games is very disruptive to family life, player recoveries, corporate entertaining and brand growth. One or two is enough, but five :shock:

Oh well, did we ask for Sundays this year I wonder?
Well unlike some here I base the draw on who we play not when as that will not make us win or lose. The draw is excellent if this years form holds and that is all we can go on at the moment. As I have said before the draw is no good for making money unless we win early and get the crowds to come and see us play. Its in our own hands.