injured players on the mend......thank tf for that

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

injured players on the mend......thank tf for that

AFL News. AFL Breaking News.

Article from:
Herald Sun

St Kilda boots seven ahead of AFL National Draft

Sam Edmund | October 22, 2008 12:00am

ST KILDA has orchestrated its biggest clean-out in eight years, axing seven players from its list.

The Saints announced yesterday Jayden Attard, Matthew Ferguson, Michael Rix, Shane Birss, Charlie Gardiner, Glenn Chivers and Luke Van Rheenen had all been delisted.

The retirements of Robert Harvey and Fraser Gehrig bring the number of departures to nine –– the most to leave the club since its horror wooden spoon year of 2000 when 14 were shown the door.

St Kilda football manager Greg Hutchison thanked the players for their contribution, but admitted changes had to be made.

"Some of the players who had been there and been delisted have had plenty of opportunities to play AFL footy," he said.
Related Links

* SuperFooty Forum: Have slashing Saints gone mad?

"We thought that this draft looks like it's going to be a fairly significant draft and we had an opportunity to make some changes to the list and we've been able to do so."

Hutchison said the clean-out had nothing to do with capitalising on the last uncompromised draft before the introduction of the Gold Coast team.

"That didn't enter our thinking at all," he said.

"We just looked at where the list was at and we felt that we needed to make some changes. It was an opportunity regardless of whether it was an uncompromised draft or not. We thought it was the right time to turn over some players on the list."

Midfielder Attard could consider himself the most unlucky.

The 22-year-old played 20 games in his 2007 debut season with the Saints after crossing from the Brisbane Lions.

But he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in Round 21 that year and missed the entire 2008 season recovering from the knee reconstruction.

Lead-up forward Gardiner and tagger Birss also were stiff after playing 12 and eight games respectively this year.

The delistings make room for next month's national draft, with St Kilda armed with selections 13, 47, 48, 63, 79 and 95.

The Saints are expected to use one of those late picks on former West Coast captain Ben Cousins.

Former Western Bulldogs midfielder Farren Ray has already been secured in exchange for pick 31.

St Kilda also is poised to announce replacements in the coach's box after the departure of assistants Anthony Rock and John Barker.

On the injury front, Steven Baker (knee), Matt Maguire (foot), Luke Ball (hamstring) and Jarryd Allen (hip) are progressing well.'

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Hutchy's getting out and about already then ..

great news on the guys who are recovering

Hutchy would have seen abit of Birssy and Charlie- as Shane himself admitted getting enough time in the VFl to get B&F votes did not really spell well.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Batnoe

its what we needed to do

if we are only using these guys as back ups we will go nowhere... now we are forced to play the kids, whether that be last years kids or the ones we pick up this year

good time saints good times

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Saints are at it again on the injury front. Allen will be doubtful to play at all until maybe as late as the second half of the year. Not sure that is progressing well.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The Saints are at it again on the injury front. Allen will be doubtful to play at all until maybe as late as the second half of the year. Not sure that is progressing well.
Says who plugger66? You?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The Saints are at it again on the injury front. Allen will be doubtful to play at all until maybe as late as the second half of the year. Not sure that is progressing well.
Says who plugger66? You?
Off a very good person who would know.
Last edited by plugger66 on Wed 22 Oct 2008 9:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

What did Baker have done on his knee, for some funny reason I thought he had a reco????

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

So what you are saying is that if Allen had done that injury against Richmond, 10 mins into the 1st qtr of our first NAB Cup game..that his 2008 season could have been over???

Sheesh..has he needed a hip replacement?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Someone should "ask archie" about Allen,see if he'll let us in on the real story,or maybe Plugger is having a lend of the forum............again....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm glad nobody is writing off Baker, cos I'm certainly not! It'll be great having him back on board next season!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Someone should "ask archie" about Allen,see if he'll let us in on the real story,or maybe Plugger is having a lend of the forum............again....
i dunno. usually his mail is pretty good.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

And with the 95th pick in the AFL Draft, the St Kilda Saints select.....

Ben Cousins.....

How'd he slip so many places?

:wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Someone should "ask archie" about Allen,see if he'll let us in on the real story,or maybe Plugger is having a lend of the forum............again....
Might have lend of people saying we should recruit a certain players but I was told about Allen by someone who should know. Hopefully I am wrong. We need another tallish forward and with Charlie gone Allen seems to be that player.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
i dunno. usually his mail is pretty good.
remind me when that happened...

it's all bulls*** with plugger66....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

maverick wrote:What did Baker have done on his knee, for some funny reason I thought he had a reco????
I'm sure Fraser said something about Bakes having a reco in his chat on Saints Central???

Maybe i'm going crazy???

Cro
Club Player

St Chris wrote:
maverick wrote:What did Baker have done on his knee, for some funny reason I thought he had a reco????
I'm sure Fraser said something about Bakes having a reco in his chat on Saints Central???

Maybe i'm going crazy???
You are going crazy, I'm sure he didn't say that.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saintscentral.com.au/Detail.aspx?id=536
Fraser transcript

well whether it be in Jan or June I would be hoping that Jarryd was progressing toward whichever date he is due back- and that his condition would be improving-
To my knowledge the Club didn't give a return date
but the fact he couldn't get back onto the field on the day would indicate serious damage- needing something more than a good massage and a jab,

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

From transcript above ^^^
Fraser Gehrig wrote: SaintGail: How is Bakes going with his rehab?

Fraser_Gehrig: Bakes had a reco recently and will be put through rehab by the club - ready to fire in pre-season!
I knew i'd heard it somewhere....i'm not going crazy....

spiral2
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Might have lend of people saying we should recruit a certain players but I was told about Allen by someone who should know. Hopefully I am wrong. We need another tallish forward and with Charlie gone Allen seems to be that player.
didn't sound like something that would be a quick fix - fractured hip socket wasn't it?
if the timeline is correct then the club would have had this in mind before ditching Charlie and Ferg.
So they must have someone in mind to fill in up forward...
Or maybe we'll go with a midget brigade around two talls?

I wonder how much running Allen will be able to do with that injury?
He wasn't the fittest looking bloke last summer, generally bringing up the rear in longer runs. He needs a good preseason this summer in order to keep progressing...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

great news about the delistings.....not likely to miss many of them, fairly easy decisions I guess.

I just wonder if Big Fraze will take on a assistant coaching role.

I assume he has/will be offered it if he's interested.....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:From transcript above ^^^
Fraser Gehrig wrote: SaintGail: How is Bakes going with his rehab?

Fraser_Gehrig: Bakes had a reco recently and will be put through rehab by the club - ready to fire in pre-season!
I knew i'd heard it somewhere....i'm not going crazy....
I'm not going crazy either then, although I wish I was :(

jackal
Club Player

I'm quite suprised that Leigh Fisher got another gig as althouh he has been OK in the past, his shortcomings are known to all (weak overhead in a contest and slow) . Birss or Gardiner may have offered back-up but were unlikely to feature in a flag winning squad.