Rookie Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

adobe
Club Player

ralphysaints35 wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:So in regards to our rookie draft - we're retaining Khan, promoting Eddy, bringing in McGrath & the Irishman - which means we have 3 spots left to fill? Or are the scholarship holders & international rookies separate to the 6 "local" rookies?
well how about Alex Silvagni and kyle mathews?
Alex SILVAGNI Had a great year at fullback for the Casey Scorpions until injured played on a lot of AFL and beat them.Played alongside most of the Sainters.Only 21 193 cm athletic type could replace Max. with a bit more experience .

goodie
Club Player

saintly wrote:
goodie wrote:
Solar wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:So in regards to our rookie draft - we're retaining Khan, promoting Eddy, bringing in McGrath & the Irishman - which means we have 3 spots left to fill? Or are the scholarship holders & international rookies separate to the 6 "local" rookies?
I believe the scholarship holders are outside the 6. Plus it depends on whether max is a vet inside or outside the 38. If he's an outside vet then thats one less rookie.....
Incorrect, scholarship holders and Irish rookies are inside. Up to two non-Irish internationals can be outside

If scholarships were outside, Khan Haretaku would've meant we had 7 rookies on the list this year.
we had 7 rookies as khan was a nsw scholarship rookie.

chivers, van reenan, miles, eddy, mcqualter, attard and khan
Hmm, my bad.

My maths is rusty.[/url]

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Also, clubs get an extra two rookie spots for the next two years as part of the concessions for gold coast starting up, so that means we had:

2008 - 6 spots:
Attard - delisted
Chivers - delisted
Eddy - promoted
McQualter
Miles
Van Rheenen - delisted
Haretuku (scholarship)

Assuming Max stays inside the list and Khan stays outside it (also is Lenny a veteran yet?):

2009 (8 spots):
McQualter
Miles
Haretuku (scholarship)

We can draft 6 rookies.

It's gonna be a big rookie draft this year, with every club getting two more spots.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Haretuku isnt on scholarship anymore, hes a 'full' rookie.

It seems like we will be offering Blake McGrath a spot as a 'full' rookie too, also from our scholarship program.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

n1ck wrote:It seems like we will be offering Blake McGrath a spot as a 'full' rookie too, also from our scholarship program.
Why would we do that? Is there an advantage to having him inside the list when we don't have to?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Because his time as a scholarship holder is up... I think if we dont offer him a rookie list spot for next season, the season after he will be available to all clubs in the national draft.

The point of the scholarship program is to give the participating club first dibs on any of these promising NSW youngsters. We snapped him up for our program so nobody else could touch him.

luckysaint
Club Player

n1ck wrote:Haretuku isnt on scholarship anymore, hes a 'full' rookie.

It seems like we will be offering Blake McGrath a spot as a 'full' rookie too, also from our scholarship program.
I think there may be some confusion... because he was picked up as a NSW scholarship holder he did not technically count as one of the 6 rookies we were allowed to have (i.e. we had six rookies and a NSW rookie). I don't know if this arrangement will change now that he is in his second year.
I can't see a reason why Blake will be included within the 6 rookies???

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Ah I see, my mistake.

I was under the impression there were the 'Scholaship Holders' and there were 'Rookies' and if you were promoted from the scholarship program you became a listed rookie - which I thought Haretuku was.

My bad.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Do all clubs now have 8 ordinary rookie spots? I read something about an extra two rookies per club.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Do all clubs now have 8 ordinary rookie spots? I read something about an extra two rookies per club.
from my understanding...

normally you have 4 rookies spots available.

+ up to 2 extras if your veteran is inside the list.

nsw or overseas scholarships are on top of that.
this year clubs can have an additional 2 rookies.

therefore this year there will be a min of 6 rookies, and up to 8 rookies depending on vets. status, plus scholarship players

we probably already have miles and mcqualter as rookies, and khan as 2nd year scholarship
therefore, if hudgeton remains inside the list which is likely

wthse saints should rookie 6 more and on the nsw scholarship have khan and mcgrath, and maybe an irish player as well.

lennie is not a veteran as yet, 30