delisted players become stars

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

delisted players become stars

just listening to SEN and in shock on how highly regarded birss is.

what is this thing about players becoming better then they are as soon as they are delisted? I find it strange....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
I can C what U can C

Totally agree Solar. Coaches are the same, the longer they are out of the game the better they become - look at Tony Shaw.

Go you Saints!
Ice Wolf
Club Player

I can C what U can C wrote:Totally agree Solar. Coaches are the same, the longer they are out of the game the better they become - look at Tony Shaw.
Tony Shaw was an average player and a terrible coach.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

he won something for the filth......a wooden soon....... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
RBnW
Club Player

Re: delisted players become stars

Solar wrote:just listening to SEN and in shock on how highly regarded birss is.

what is this thing about players becoming better then they are as soon as they are delisted? I find it strange....
did anyone hear Finey last night on SEN.....you would have thought that Birss was a star.....he just went on and on about how good he was.....He is a good VFL player at best......dumped by the Dogs and picked up by Ken Sheldon. :oops: .....in the first morning of the trade week before Ross came in......IMO Ross would never have taken him and he will not get picked up...... 8-)

Our best is yet
to come......
nicola69
Club Player

But Attard should have been retained unless there was some medico's report that said his knee was gone. Would appreciate it if anyone has further information on this.

Glad to see L Fisher wasn't dumped as some were saying he would be in recent topics

we exist on a brane - thank f*** for StK
Scoop
Club Player

nicola69 wrote: Glad to see L Fisher wasn't dumped as some were saying he would be in recent topics
He would have if he didn't have a year to run on his contract. Ditto Fiora.

Still time for more delistings tho......

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

nicola69 wrote:But Attard should have been retained unless there was some medico's report that said his knee was gone. Would appreciate it if anyone has further information on this.

Why not?

As far as I can see it even if he didn't do his knee he may have struggled to keep his by the end of the year due to Dempster, Geary, Eddy, ralph Clarke, Gilbert coming forth ahead of him.

RBnW
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:
nicola69 wrote:But Attard should have been retained unless there was some medico's report that said his knee was gone. Would appreciate it if anyone has further information on this.

Why not?

As far as I can see it even if he didn't do his knee he may have struggled to keep his by the end of the year due to Dempster, Geary, Eddy, ralph Clarke, Gilbert coming forth ahead of him.
I think you are right.....Eddy, Geary, Raph, Gwilt and Dempster have all gone past him.....its as simple as that.....hard to see him having much improvement beyond what we got in 2007.....sad but thats footy.... :roll:

Our best is yet
to come......
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: delisted players become stars

Solar wrote:just listening to SEN and in shock on how highly regarded birss is.

Just because rate a player as crap, doesnt make it true.
Perhaps you should have a quiet chat with Stewart Dew...

Seeya
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Dew retired and was always a goodplayer, was consistantly in port's 22.

Biriss has never been consistantly in the saints or bulldogs 22.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I will never understand why Birss was not seen as a member of our starting 22, it is simply beyond me, I believe he had a definite role as a forward tagger who could snag a couple of goals....

He probably wont be picked up again and that is a shame, he could have been a valuble player even if he wasn't a star...

As for him being a VFL quality player that doesn't really explain why he continually dominates at VFL and more than did his job in almost every one of his games for us....

I hope he plays for Sandy next year to keep in touch with the mates he would have made the last couple of years...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
nicola69
Club Player

RBnW wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:

Why not?

I think you are right.....Eddy, Geary, Raph, Gwilt and Dempster have all gone past him.....its as simple as that.....hard to see him having much improvement beyond what we got in 2007.....sad but thats footy.... :roll:
Hang on. Eddy is a half forward. Geary has been coming off the bench and playing a number of fill in roles. So that's only 3 he would be in competition with. Furthermore, Dumpster's got a knee now. Raph has missed a lot of matches in recent seasons. Maybe they will put Attard back on the rookie list. He was really good in 2007 before being injured.

we exist on a brane - thank f*** for StK
Raven
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:I will never understand why Birss was not seen as a member of our starting 22, it is simply beyond me, I believe he had a definite role as a forward tagger who could snag a couple of goals....

He probably wont be picked up again and that is a shame, he could have been a valuble player even if he wasn't a star...

As for him being a VFL quality player that doesn't really explain why he continually dominates at VFL and more than did his job in almost every one of his games for us....

I hope he plays for Sandy next year to keep in touch with the mates he would have made the last couple of years...
Spot on. I can't understand it either. He hasn't really done anything wrong as far as I can tell, and always seems to do a serviceable job at senior level. He's a nice kick for goal which is something we lack at times.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

I think he woulda been worthwhile keeping .

Very surprised he didnt get more of a run.

Tagger with the ability to kick a goal

Good luck Birss

What will be next from this club ?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I will never understand why Birss was not seen as a member of our starting 22, it is simply beyond me, I believe he had a definite role as a forward tagger who could snag a couple of goals....

i'll third it... cannot understand it

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

I'll fourth it :shock: Although I wasn't quite sure when they traded for Birss, he won me over mostly
Attard also unlucky IMO

Stand your ground :shock:
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Ice Wolf wrote:
I can C what U can C wrote:Totally agree Solar. Coaches are the same, the longer they are out of the game the better they become - look at Tony Shaw.
Tony Shaw was an average player and a terrible coach.
300+ average games.....sheesh. Harsh. :roll:

Terrible coach? Hard to argue with that....

It's a given that not all champion/great players went on to make good/great coaches.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote: It's a given that not all champion/great players went on to make good/great coaches.
Agree there. Tim Watson was one of the most loved players and an absolute champion is his day but as a coach he was the absolute drizzling s***s

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Cro
Club Player

Did they possibly have to delist him as he wasn't in Ross's top 28 or so players, and given they want to bring in Cousins and a few youngsters with the draft, they simply had to make the space and meaning they had to cut him?

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

From an outsider's point of view and IMHO I believe Birss was stiff. I don't mind him and as much as he would never be a star, he gives his all when he takes to the park and gets every bit of ability out of himself.

Certainly not the worst. Played a good game against us this year, maybe I'm biased because of that, and gives plenty of run so seems like he must have upset someone.