St Kilda list and Football Department changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

strange i would of thought Leigh fisher was definatly gone ...

birss may get another shot at another club as he is still youngeish and does have some good quallitys.

Rix was never going to be an AFL level footy player but full credit to him for giving it a good crack .

Ferg is a big dissapointment we expected big things from him and he delivered absoulty nothing (to thnk we wasted two pick on him aswell).

Attard well he came here as his last shot at the big time and sadly for him his injury stuffed it up for him but thats the nature of this game its often not fair good luck to him at least he will know he was capable .

Charlie was always just part of the king deal i dont think the club ever really had high hopes for him but they gave him his shot and all in all he needed to set the world on fire to keep his spot what he served up was more of the same ol same ol that got him traded from the cats in the first place

chivers and LVR were obviously not comming along as well as they hoped they would both were more of a gamble then a shure thing so no real suprise there .

good luck to all the delisted guys thanks for your services and although it didnt work out for you you can always hang you hat on the fact you got there and thats a lot more then the vast majority of the population can say .....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
howlinwolf
Club Player

I find Leigh Fisher's predicament strange. I liked him as a player (been a while since we saw him play) but thought this year considering he didn't get a look in that he was on the outer.

There's obviously some rationale behind keeping him but without him getting a run at all how can be much of a backup option ?

I also thought Birss was a little unlucky. Also Attard very unlucky. I'll bet he was itiching to get back on the park to cement his place.

The others wouldn't be too surprised I would think.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Agree with all the delisting, especially Charlie Gardiner...

Rix, Ferg, Chivers, LRV were all pretty obvious... Birss is a tough call, but he aint gonna prove to be a difference, and Attard had little upside over Baker, Dempster etc....

Whilst they should have cut Fiora and paid him out, clearly the inclusion of Ray and the development of Steven and possibly a kid from this year draft should see him not play a game next year then get delisted; best case scenario...

Fairly straight forward but good call by Ross et al nonetheless...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

De-listings hapen every year. Differences of opinion over de-listings hapen every year. Each and every one of those de-listed was good enough to make it on to a list/rookie list. Thanks to all of them and good luck with future endeavours !!

brewski
Club Player

Re: St Kilda list and Football Department changes

Saints Media wrote:
The St Kilda Football Club has made a key appointment to ensure its football operations department retains the expertise and flexibility it needs to ensure the Saints remain market leaders.

Read more...

http://saints.com.au/Season2008/News/Ne ... wsId=69117
In addition to the retirements of Robert Harvey and Fraser Gehrig the following players have been delisted; Jayden Attard, Matthew Ferguson, Michael Rix, Shane Birss, Charlie Gardiner, Glenn Chivers and Luke van Rheenan.

I think Charlie Gardiner is a bit stiff good hands and overhead pity his kicking was a little ordinary but then again same can be said for a lot of the team.
Dont know how McQualter has managed to stay on the list, i am still to see him do anything to suggest he can be a regular player and he has had plenty of time, always looks lost, if you disagree feel free to let me know the good things he's done as i see the games every week and am blown away he is still there.

Very lucky to escape was gwilt, i think he has some upside and would persist with him but please Ross dont put him down back, his defensive game is as loose as my ex wife. :roll:

Banned by the censors
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I still think there maybe another delisting this year as we have only 4 picks at the moment and if Mini is put on the main list that will leave only 3 which isnt enough picks especially if Cousins comes. That will leave only 2 picks.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I still think there maybe another delisting this year as we have only 4 picks at the moment and if Mini is put on the main list that will leave only 3 which isnt enough picks especially if Cousins comes. That will leave only 2 picks.
I thought it would give us 5, with one rookie elevation bringing it back to 4. Adding Cousins would then bring it back to 3

I could be wrong. Joffaboy was my maths teacher !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I still think there maybe another delisting this year as we have only 4 picks at the moment and if Mini is put on the main list that will leave only 3 which isnt enough picks especially if Cousins comes. That will leave only 2 picks.
I thought it would give us 5, with one rookie elevation bringing it back to 4. Adding Cousins would then bring it back to 3

I think everyone forgets Farren Ray is already there and Rob Eddy has already been upgraded.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

can Mini stay on the rookie list for another year?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:

I think everyone forgets Farren Ray is already there and Rob Eddy has already been upgraded.
Bugga !!

I will order joffaboy to give himself an uppercut !!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

It's a disgrace that Fiora & McQualter survive ahead of Birss.

If they promote Mini ahead of drafting a kid then I'll spew up like Terry Suntan.

Agree with the others although Fisher was lucky to survive.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

very disappointed for Birss, unfortunately the others didn't do enough but Birss should have been retained.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Gotta remember this are the first changes to the list before the first list lodging at the end of the month. Players can still be delisted up until the final list lodgement, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more before then.

ace
Saintsational Legend

McQualter and Eddy were offically rookies who were temporarily elevated due to long term injuries to other players.
That means that the senior list at the end of the month will contain 33 plus any rookie permanently promoted.
If both are permanently promoted the list will just meet the 35 player requirement.

However with Dempster not expected to play until late next year a temporary rookie promotion exists.
For instance McQualter could remain a rookie and play as a temporary promotion.

I know Eddy now has a senior contract but does anyone know if the club has signed a senior contract with McQualter.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

Being a fringe player in the AFL must be one of the worst possible jobs. At the end of every season you know you could be joining the ranks of the unemployed. Any injury or loss of form, maybe due to a carried injury, can see you lose your job.
Telling a prospective employer that you have spent the previous few years kicking a football does not endear you to that employer unless you are applying as an unskilled labourer. Then the injury that put you out of the game could prevent you even getting that job.

A few players can sleep easy until the end of the month but what happens if the AFL agrees to Ben Cousins playing again.
The club may well have cut senior numbers ahead of the main draft but could still leave players uncontracted and delist one if Ben is available through the preseason draft.

If a player does not have a signed contract don't sleep too much.

To those who have lost their jobs can I say good luck in the job search.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Rix is gone?

Cue a rant from B4E about the numbnuts running the club.

Just another topic for the AGM....Belvedere Park and Michael Rix.

Should be an entertaining meeting.

:lol:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

IF his knee is ok (and that is a big IF) Attard would be worth our last pick in the draft or perhaps we can pick him in the PSD if we use our last pick in the draft to get Ben cousins

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:Being a fringe player in the AFL must be one of the worst possible jobs. At the end of every season you know you could be joining the ranks of the unemployed. Any injury or loss of form, maybe due to a carried injury, can see you lose your job.
Telling a prospective employer that you have spent the previous few years kicking a football does not endear you to that employer unless you are applying as an unskilled labourer. Then the injury that put you out of the game could prevent you even getting that job.
A lot of that depends on whether the player is smart enough to recognise football as a transient career. Some very few will make enough during their footy days to only work again if they choose, and others will be able to continue to make a living from their football knowledge and profiles in coaching or media roles... or elsewhere around the club and league.

For the many, while Football is long past the semi pro days (some of them will struggle at 35 to make the money they did at 21), the opportunities certainly exist to study, and in some cases work while keeping the footy commitments.

I know for a fact Jason Blake has a job based on his university degree; not because he needs the money, but because when his footy career ends, he won't be sitting on millions (and he will then need the money), and won't be the first guy the networks run to with a seat on Footy Classified.

As long as they're smart about it, being a fringe player can be a really good gig.

Of course, many aren't smart about it, but we're talking about predominantly men in their 20s... how many of us were making great decisions about our futures in our early 20s?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Newman
Club Player

Unhappy about Attard. Due to come back late in 2008 - or did he have another setback? Can he be redrafted? Deserved another chance after 20 games in one season.

Bono
Club Player

If we get Benny, 17 and 6 are gone.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Rix is gone?

Cue a rant from B4E about the numbnuts running the club.

Just another topic for the AGM....Belvedere Park and Michael Rix.

Should be an entertaining meeting.

:lol:
Don't forget Matthew Ferguson. This may just tip him over the edge!

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

Did anyone consider the fact that Attard's knee might be seriously rooted??

He might be a promising young player, but there's no point in signing him if medical staff think his potential career will be constantly disrupted by injury.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Attard was never really that promising anyway.... Lets get things straight, he never really showed much aside from decent stopping ability...If we are to be a top team, he'd struggle to get a look in...

Correct decision to delist...

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:If we get Benny, 17 and 6 are gone.
I hope so, but why would you think that?

besides fiora, has another year to go on his contract

super dooper
Club Player

Good luck to all those who are departing us, but reality says they simply didnt cut the mustard and not one of them will help guide us to a premiership.

Birss - Doesnt cut it at the AFL level, one of those in between players who dominate VFL but just cant make the step up. Has been in the system for 7 seasons now for not much improvement.

Attard - averaged 7.5 touches a game for us in 20 games in a negating role. Doesnt matter how defensive a player is they need to be able to hurt the opposition

Charlie - averaged 10 touches a game and only 0.54 goals a game for a FORWARD and obvioiusly must have done something to be delisted after 1 year on the list

Rix, Ferg, LVR, Chivers - well enough said there really

I think it is safe to say that no club would touch these players with a 10 foot pole, hence good list management decisions - unfortunately someone is always in this sticky position.

Once again good luck to all departing STKFC hopefully you can clean up dominating some local and country leagues next season or even VFL.

Players playing for their lives next season:
Fiora
Maqualter
Allen
L.Fisher
Xavier
Geary
CJ
M.Gardiner

others with a chances remaining:
Gilbert
Armitage
Gwilt (i have patience with him - just my opinion)