Proposed rule changes- your say?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Proposed rule changes- your say?

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/ ... wsId=69076
Other possible areas for change for the premiership season include:

* The introduction of four field umpires;

* The use of four boundary umpires;

* The recall of badly "off-line" bounces, as demonstrated in the situation that evolved in the round five match between Collingwood and North Melbourne;

* The shifting of the goal line to the back of the post padding, to remove confusion when it comes to judging a goal;

* A free kick for misconduct (including incidents such as squirting drink bottles at opponents, throwing objects during play, unnecessarily interfering with an opponent):

* The restart of play following a player being stretchered off, with the team to have possession at the time of play being stopped to retain it; and,

* Giving an umpire jurisdiction to reset a player's mark if he deems the player used his position to improve their angle

and the Rushed behind
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/ ... wsId=69071
FEAR that an increase of deliberately rushed behinds is "killing the contest" has prompted the AFL to consider a rule change in order to stymie the practice.

The suggestions put forward by the Laws Committee include:

* A free kick from wherever the ball is rushed;

* Bouncing the ball a designated distance from goal;

* Throwing the ball in from behind the post;

* Disallowing the player who rushes the ball from kicking it back in;

* Disallowing the kick in until after the flags are waved;

* A free kick from where the 50m arc dissects the boundary line; and,

* A free kick from behind the post.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I am surprised that they haven't considered a play on rule for when a player kicks back towards their defensive 50...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

There is a few things they haven't addressed...

I am not sure how I feel about the rushed behind rule, we have changed so many things already. 11 rushed behinds in a grand final is a concern though?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I say leave the frickin game alone FFS!! :twisted: :D

These constant knee jerk reaction rule changes, and indeed ebven the fact that a actual rule committee exists, is totally absurd, embarassing, ridiculous and god damn annoying!

Let the game EVOLVE , even just for a few years, seriously, its totally out of control. Name me ONE other game in the WORLD that has a bunch of nimrods form a committee and constantly change/invent rules every year?! No, thats right, you cant. Please, it was beyond a joke in 2005.

Just look at KB and his cohorts, they are on a massive power trip, thats all it is. Anyone who listens to KB on SEN would know this. And btw, otherwise, I like KB :0)

Please, anyone, what is wrong with just leaving the god damn game alone??!!

Could it be so bad? Yeah, so, we have a few more rushed behinds, who the f*** cares? Seriously, ok, with all the other rule changes that have made a defenders life hell, lets make another one to nullify defenders? Again, FFS!!

Maybe if we werent bringing the ball back in immediately from a behind, we wouldnt have the rushed behind "problem". But oh thats right, lets make a rule change to counter act the result of a previous rule change> It sickens ande disgusts me, yes Im serious, its just pathetic.

vergs
Club Player

I wish a backflip on previous ridiculous rule changes and interpretations plus a hesitancy to change other facets of the game were also on the agenda. I don't mind the idea of trialling some new things in the preseason competition but the hands in the back interpretation, chopping of arms and soft as butter 50 metre penalties are just a few of the laughable recent changes. I shudder to think what could happen next.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The hand in the back rule is a complete farce IMO..

You can push a player using the full force of your arm, but once a players hand is on their back (even if it's not impeding the player) the player in front gets a free..

a farken joke

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
BakesFan
SS Life Member

I couldn't give a fat rat's ar$e what they do to the rules as long as the MAGGOTS apply them consistantly..................

............ enter plugger66 :wink:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Recall of bad bounces is the only rule worth changing.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Correct MSG..sooner or later this mania for giving a score to the oppositon will cost a couple of sides game..then it will stop quick smart

I'll tell you what is bloody annoying tho..the 15m lil chip to a bloke in the pocket,,then back...then across...and before you know it a teams knocked up 8 possies and its still inside defensive 50, all in the name of avoiding the dreaded contest.

How about...the bloke kicking in has to clear 50? In the good ol days the FB just banged it down the middle, and whilst im not saying we need to return to footy circa 1975, I reckon at least one part of the game where you are forced to kick long might not be such a bad thing?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Time for old hungry to step aside. Come on Kev, you're a bit past it,and you and your mates are making an utter mockery of the game. Now please please go away,and take up lawn bowls or something more suited to your geriatric era

Bring back the Lockett era
crackers35
Club Player

If u rush a behind u should still get possession back because sometimes u have no other choice.

Either keep it the way it is or make it so a rushed behind is 2 points (only when a player takes it over the line and not if it's spoiled through)

Looking forward to 2010 - I'm gonna Lovett!
milney044
Club Player

Leave the game alone bloody hell. It's worked the last 150 years and after one little incident with the rushed behinds this year we're considering changing it? Leave it as it is, we've made enough changes recently already.
And that stupid 50m rule for tackling a player after they have disposed of the ball? Give me a break, this would be another grey area; hard to interpret, more confusion and more digs at the umps. Honestly do the AFL not think these things through? Oh right, dimwit runs the AFL, the man who confused rounds at the brownlow. :roll:

Leave the rules as they are, if anything, take the ticky touch wood ones away rather than adding more silly rules that add to the confusion.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
crackers35
Club Player

milney044 wrote:Oh right, dimwit runs the AFL, the man who confused rounds at the brownlow. :roll:
Yep agree 100% with you.
You take away Demitriou or however you spell his last name and the game will be much better.

Only change a rule if it has to be changed.

As for the 50m pen. for taking a player to ground - sometimes you can't tell if the player you've tackled has got rid of the ball

Just leave the game as it is or otherwise soon the game will become just like Netball or another non-contact sport

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Just what the game needs more rules for the umpires to stuff up, misinterpret etc.

maybe they should simplify the rules a little.

older saint
SS Life Member

if you are going to change the rushed behindmake it they cannot kick in until the flags are waved - the old rule. Don't chnage the scoring or penalise a possession as too subjective, at least this way if it is wrong then the only penalty is time and you still have the ball

gooner
Club Player

While we're at it how about a few more rule changes to make the game more interesting:

Should a quarter be goalless the umpires must call a time out whilst the broadcaster shows some ads.

Hit the post is play on. (actually I like that one)

If the ball is out of bounds the first player to the footy gets the kick. Players can chase the ball even if it goes into the crowd. Think of the audience participation!

The Brownlow Medal to be inverted so that at the end of the game the players vote on the best and fairest umpire.

Any Geelong player with the initials G.A to be allowed to turn a full 360 when tackled before disposing of the football (Sorry, I forgot, that rule was brought in last season)

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
crackers35
Club Player

gooner wrote: Any Geelong player with the initials G.A to be allowed to turn a full 360 when tackled before disposing of the football (Sorry, I forgot, that rule was brought in last season)
Thats a good one.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Stop stuffing around with the game.