3rd Tall Forward ? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

3rd Tall Forward ? !!

Could we play Sam Fisher in that role? I reckon we could, but a lot of cards would have to fall in our favour to enable it;

Raph Clarke & Sam Gilbert would need to continue to develop as defenders

Goose would need to come back at or near his absolute best

Max would have to stay injury free

Jarryd Allen continues to develop, with a flexibility to play at both ends of the ground

Yes, I am interested in others thoughts !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I believe so, he is a good mark and one of our best kicks... Ideally we would play Goddard there but he is needed too much in the centre of the ground...

If Maguire and Hudghton could play a full season each I would have thought that Sam Fisher would be almost certain to spend time up front with Raph and Gilbo playing his role down back...

Dam having another Goddard are two would be nice wouldn't it :lol:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
iceman
Club Player

i think he is far too valuable as a defender, but would be happy for us if it were to happen to great success. I agree with most of your post, except when Jarryd Allen played in defence at Casey he was next to absolutely embarrassing. I think the inroads he made this season up forward (which he did improve remarkably) are far to important to be trialled down back again.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Am I the only one who thinks as a defender Sam Fisher is overrated?

I think his stopping abilities aren't that great and if he were put on a top quality forward we would get beaten more often than not.

IMO his biggest strength was always setting up the play and hitting up his target as well as going for runs... playing on a HFF he is able to do all o that, and maybe even hit a forward on the chest, wouldn't that be nice :wink:

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Am I the only one who thinks as a defender Sam Fisher is overrated?

I think his stopping abilities aren't that great and if he were put on a top quality forward we would get beaten more often than not.

IMO his biggest strength was always setting up the play and hitting up his target as well as going for runs... playing on a HFF he is able to do all o that, and maybe even hit a forward on the chest, wouldn't that be nice :wink:
Far from overated unless you think our coaching panel know nothing. Unlike some here I think he should always play back as he is nearly the best in the AFL at getting on his own and setting up play so why do we want to move him to the forward line or in the midfield just in case he is good in those positions. Play your best players in their best positions.

iceman
Club Player

it's my opinion that he does his best work 30m from the opposition goal to the 50m arc at our end, so being a '3rd tall' would be irrelevent if he as to do what you want him to do Armooo and can be extremely beneficial on a HBF. he shouldn't have, however was unfortunate enough to have CHB for the majority of the year, so being on a HBF he wouldn't be required to take opposition 'top quality' forward.

He won our B&F in the backline and I think he is far too valuable there.
But as i said, sometimes these things pay off. I wouldn't touch a thing though at this stage. Not while he's playing like he is.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Am I the only one who thinks as a defender Sam Fisher is overrated?
2008: AA, B&F.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I don't believe he should be played in a key back role unless we are desperate.

I also believe that we have players who could do his role well (not as good) on a half back flank...

The way I look at it is playing Raph or Gilbert on the flank were Chips would play will decrease our backline say 10% but if may increase our forwardline 20% if that were the case it would definitely be worth it...

I wouldn't mind seeing it tried out in the NAB cup just to see if it would work...

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Jason Blake?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
I'm not saying he's not a great player, I just don't believe his one on one shutdown abilities are as good as they're made out to be...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i really think jarryd allen is the most important piece of the saints puzzle next year.

if he is no good we will really struggle. if he is decent then we will be pretty good.

we have tried raph, gwilt, c gardner.

fact is on 2004 when we wre good - the g train kicked a ton. so thats 100 goals we need to find - with no real additions to the forward line since then.

so jarryd allen needs to step up. if hes no good we are in trouble.

i really hope hes good.

putting sam fisher up there would be robbing peter to pay paul. we need an extra good player,

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

We may be in trouble because I don't think Allen is going to kick a tonne next year...

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Otiman wrote:
I'm not saying he's not a great player, I just don't believe his one on one shutdown abilities are as good as they're made out to be...
Has had some reasonable scalps this year.

Pavlich, Lucas, probably more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:we have tried raph, gwilt, c gardner.
C. Gardiner fair enough as that's the role he has been playing for years.

Raph and Gwilt have been backmen and then thrown into the role. Raph did alright, for what it's worth.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

3 tall fowards are too cumbersome unless they are all like Roo..

What we need is a medium forward.

I would love O'Keefe...but it is not going to happen..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:3 tall fowards are too cumbersome unless they are all like Roo..

What we need is a medium forward.

I would love O'Keefe...but it is not going to happen..
But Sam Fisher could play the O'Keefe role if you could release him from his role down back.

IMHO Gilbo doesn't have his kicking or marking skills, but certainly has his pace and run.
Raph is slightly deficient in comparison with his marking and kicking skills (better than Gilbo's) but doesn't have anywhere near his pace and run.

The player that we are looking for is another Sam Fisher - 190cms of marking. kicking, running and 'footy smarts'.
Maybe it's Luke Miles off our Rookie List?

Raven
Club Player

Why is it that every time one of our players has a good period or year we want to move him forward? :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Raven wrote:Why is it that every time one of our players has a good period or year we want to move him forward? :wink:
cos we are desperate for a forward since we no longer have the g train and kosi is not as good as wed hoped.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:We may be in trouble because I don't think Allen is going to kick a tonne next year...

dont need a ton. but 35-50 would be nice.

jackal
Club Player

Gilbert will make a better forward then backman and you would suspect that he will play more up the ground next year if we have a fit Maguire and (hopefully touch wood) Luke Miles (looked like he could make the grade from what i have seen).

Gilbert can kick goals and wil put pressure on inside 50 but he has troubole on quality small forwards (see Williams and S.Johnson ).

He is actually quite good at reading the ball in the air and has good hands but s***s himself when he knows the opposition mids are going to kick to his opponent one out.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

IMO we're seriously wasting Sam giving him an easy role down back. We need someone to step up forward and I think he's the man.

We just desperately need a player to fill that void

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

GODDARD

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

If any of our backmen go forward I would suggest it be Goose...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

we need to find a goal-kicking full forward if we are to challenge the reigning premier and benchmark team hawthorn.

they had two key forwards who kicked 190 goals between them.

we had one who kicked 60-odd.

i'm not convinced allen is the answer, at least not yet.

he's a likely type, but kicked just 23 goals for casey last season.

i'd like to see more in the way of goals before we throw him into one of the most important key positions on the ground.

there's a good argument for playing one of your best players at full forward.

hawthorn does it.

it's not a position to be taken lightly or just filled with someone who cannot cut it for a spot on the half back line.

if it were my choice, i'd have goddard there.

bj would make us look that much more potent scoring-wise.

i reckon can we cover him in the midfield and we must if we are to challenge free-wheeling and high-scoring teams such as hawthorn and geelong.

ross has been in the job long enough now to start taking some chances and to try to win a few matches with his better players in attacking positions rather than trying to lock teams down all the time.

the forward line i'd like to see:

hf: milne, riewoldt, dal santo
f: kosi, goddard, schneider
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 11 Oct 2008 10:31pm, edited 6 times in total.

spiral2
Club Player

I think the key is versatility
if some of our backmen are capable of playing forward when the match-ups suit then why not? goddard, gilbert, raph, chips, goose and even grammy could all be damaging in the front half. I'm not suggesting all the time but if we can mix it up and throw these guys around then why not?

the most dangerous aspect of Hawthorn's forward line was the number of options - Buddy, Roughhead, Williams, Rioli, Brown

don't forget Frase was full back before he was a dual coleman medalist
how do we know that Sam wouldn't make a better forward than backman? he was a forward when recruited.
I think anything is worth a try and I'm desperate to see some quality support for Roo in the forward line. It's far to easy to shut our forward line down at the moment - stop Roo and Milne = stop St Kilda kicking a decent score.

if we can cover chips down back then why not throw him forward at times? he's got all the skills to be a quality forward.