R. Harvey joins Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Hi again

I did change my avatar - he has been a hero of mine for half my life; but... even though I know that people often think you need experience at another club... and of course I will still buy his book (about his time at the Saints!) ... I'd never give (almost) anyone a spray... and of course I don't wish him badly... but for me, it reminds me that it's about the team, not even about our heroes... so I changed my avatar back to a team shot, and I'm thinking who will be my next hero.

I've had my heart broken - eg with Plugger - and though it is very different because Harves played his whole (long) career with us... I can't follow him now cause he is at Carlton...

So I guess I need therapy to get over this one!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
brewski
Club Player

really feel betrayed by this, the bed is not even cold and banger is going to the enemy i guess Fortius Quo Fidelius really means f*#k all to who i thought was i most loyal soldier

Banned by the censors
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Disgraceful effort by some posters in this topic.

Good Luck to Harvey, hope he enjoys his experience there.

but seriously, no wonder we have a reputation as some of the biggest whingers in the league.

Get the hell over it everyone. he's gone, move on. And dont' you DARE say ANYTHING negative about Harvey,

Has been a stalwart at our club for over 21 years - what the hell have you done?

Absolutely f*** all.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

No problem with Banger taking this path. Will always be a StKilda man.

Schillaci
Club Player

All the best Banger. Forever a Saint in my eyes.

Pleasing to read that Archie and Co. offered him a full time role with us and understand his choice of another club after 21 years service with St.Kilda.

Breva Sidan

St Fidelius wrote:
Breva Sidan wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
TheBabyBlues wrote::-D

I know how highly reguarded Sir Robert is held around here (just look at the avatars) and i know how much you guys hate Carlton, so this must be a huge punch in the guts for ya.

Having said that, i think most people have handled it pretty well.

You wont find many Carlton people complaining about the appointment.

Word of advice: Do not turn your back on him. He will forever be known as perhaps the greatest Saints player ever to pull on a cross, so the fact that he has chosen to further his career at Carlton doesn't change that fact.

BTW, whenever you're done with SOS, we'll take him back. ;-)
I have read a few posts over at Talking Carlton a few days ago and whilst the majority hold him in high regard, there were a couple of clowns that mentioned that they weren't too keen on getting him...

I recall something like in 21 years he never won a premiership what can he teach us and will not be a good choice...

Another positive poster suggested that he can teach the kids a Carlton his evasive skills and in reply to that a poster suggested that he didn't teach that to any at St Kilda, so why now??

There are some smart asses over there, but overall I feel most would acknowledge him for the champion he is both on and off the field
You're always going to get a couple who can't see past club loyalties.

I'm absolutely delighted to have Harvs on board at Carlton. Our developing players can only learn from his professional attitude and approach to the game.

Hopefully for Saints fans it'll be a learning curve on both sides and he ends up back at St Kilda in a few years with a different perspective on how other clubs operate. Doesn't always happen, but either way he'll always be one of yours.
yep...

always a couple of bogans over at Talking Carlton, like this recent post...
pinnell wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
pinnell wrote:Like many other retired players wants to coach because he knows nothing outside of football...needs a pay cheque from somewhere...which club would be silly enough to give him one?
Errrrr.
Dunno.
Those in charge have made some fantastic moves off the field and I applaud them, This one is ordinary to say the least. But hey, its only as development coach, he can't do much harm.
To be honest, some of the things Saints fans have said here are 10 times worse than that. Talk about bogans...

How about you quote some of the other stuff we're saying on Talking Carlton?

158 - 48
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

There are idiot internet heros on all forums.

Some of the comments from supposed Saints fans on this thread are appalling. The man tried his guts out for 21 years and all you can do is bag him because he wanted a change in football scenery.

Grow up you precious fools. And that includes the idiot Carlton lemmings at Tanking Carlcrap as well.

R.Harvey is a football champion and a Saints champion. Always will be.

Just as SOS is a Carlton champion and always will be.

God there are some muppets about. :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Disgraceful effort by some posters in this topic.

Good Luck to Harvey, hope he enjoys his experience there.

but seriously, no wonder we have a reputation as some of the biggest whingers in the league.

Get the hell over it everyone. he's gone, move on. And dont' you DARE say ANYTHING negative about Harvey,

Has been a stalwart at our club for over 21 years - what the hell have you done?

Absolutely f*** all.
no it isnt a poor effort

he now is a part of another organisation that we are competing against both off the field but more importantly on, he is assising another team get higher and better placed than us

i don't care about the old 'he was here for 21 years crap'...so??? fantastic career but he has moved on and the rest of us should move on from harvey...sooner the better

oh wait on no we won't, we are accustomed to loving out past heroes even if they are at other clubs...we still talk of plugger 10+ years on...winmar etc etc

we still whinge of shanahan buggering up in the gf...

we still whinge about the prelim of 04

we still whinge about the love tap of 05

face it its another example of most supporters living in the past

the fact is harvey does have the right to do as he pleases...he has earned it to himself...not because we think he has earned it in supporters eyes

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Seriously. :roll:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Seriously. :roll:
im sorry i don't idolize players even if they swap clubs as much as you

sorry

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:

sorry
I don't idolise any player, past or present.

I actually take a semblance of reality. It's their job. They want a career out of football. It makes sense for Robert to go elsewhere to further his football coaching education.

Many have done it: John Worsfold (Carlton before West Coast), Mark Thompson (North before Essendon before Geelong), Brett Ratten (Melbourne before Carlton), Mark Williams (Essendon before Port Adelaide), Denis Pagan (Essendon before North).

All this talk of wiping off a bloke because he got a job elsewhere is immature claptrap and only worthy of a fair weather supporter.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:

sorry
I don't idolise any player, past or present.

I actually take a semblance of reality. It's their job. They want a career out of football. It makes sense for Robert to go elsewhere to further his football coaching education.

Many have done it: John Worsfold (Carlton before West Coast), Mark Thompson (North before Essendon before Geelong), Brett Ratten (Melbourne before Carlton), Mark Williams (Essendon before Port Adelaide), Denis Pagan (Essendon before North).

All this talk of wiping off a bloke because he got a job elsewhere is immature claptrap and only worthy of a fair weather supporter.
those examples are just a few out of the 100's of assistant coaches that have held that position

im not wiping him off..we have paid our respects through countless goodbye parades, shows etc etc

how is it being fair weather??? its an oxymoron calling someone a st kilda supporter and fair weathered

markp
Saintsational Legend

The idiocy....

I love the man and I hate the scum, but it's best he moves on to pastures new surely?

A part-time development coach probably just drops in a few times a week for a chat with the young blokes anyway, so we wont even have to suffer the sight of him in scum gear on game day.

Good luck to him.

m_m
Club Player

rob harvey, a true carlton legend
:D

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

m_m wrote:rob harvey, a true carlton legend
I know it is tongue and cheek but seriously GTFO, you don't even joke about that stuff!!

It's like saying you saw Mohammad eating bacon...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I am amazed at how excited the Blues are about recruiting a 37 year old :) :wink:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
I am amazed at how excited the Blues are about recruiting a 37 year old :) :wink:
actually on 2008 form he'd be their second best midfielder behind judd.... :wink:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

He'll be back, don't you worry about that.

He's gearing up to come back even better.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Good luke Robert Harvey.

You have tried your guts out for 21 years only to be let down by gutless team mates who year after year didn't help you win a flag.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

it stands to reason that if u stoke the same fire for 21 years u get sick of looking at the same mantle piece.

good luck harves :)

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

its a fcjuking game

my best friend Phil, who many of you have had a beer with is a Carlton member, do i eject him from my life because he is a carlton supporter?

next to phil is Warren, an Essendon member.

sorry but in the end its only a game.

Our great CHF and captain has business ventures with...RICHMOND players and COLLINGWOOD players...

omg we should NO longer revere Riewoldt because he, in his time, associates and DOES BUSINESS with Opposition players OMG.

grow up some of you.

Robert Harvey has bled for this team, he's busted his knees, copped blows to every part of his body, stood up for every value that the club it self rarely showed.

IMO Robert Harvey as an individual goes beyond football, he is a representative of everything that we hope our children to be, honest, decent, hard working, reliable, intelligent, generous (one example was Robert Harvey gave a job to that carlton ruckman whose name escapes that was involved in robbery, drugs etc), an excellent father, and a role model to children.

Anyone who has seen him with his children, with other peoples children, with the fans, know this man is aware of the enormous weight we the fans have placed on him, and pushed himself to achieve them.

Almost every player in the competition respects Robert Harvey, mortal opponents collingwood gave him a guard of honour, and well lets face it, collingwood have about the worst reputation for respecting opponents.

Sure he has gone to carlton, but frankly i have nothing but admiration for robert harvey, and I hope my kids grow up to be decent, honest, reliable, generous of heart, spirit and time as Banger has.

I can't think of a single story where people have said bad things about banger.

and after 21 years, loyal, dependable courageous dedication, he takes a part time job to help some kids coming through, I can only say he will do it with the utmost dedication to the best of his ability. It is not a cash job, he will not take advantage of carlton and he will wear the Carlton colours and do it with decent honesty.

frankly some of the rubbish about banger is disgraceful, good on you banger, i think football is better for you being part of it, and not only were you too good for st kilda, you were too good for the football community.

a more humble decent individual gracing the football oval i am yet to see.

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:its a fcjuking game

my best friend Phil, who many of you have had a beer with is a Carlton member, do i eject him from my life because he is a carlton supporter?

next to phil is Warren, an Essendon member.

sorry but in the end its only a game.

Our great CHF and captain has business ventures with...RICHMOND players and COLLINGWOOD players...

omg we should NO longer revere Riewoldt because he, in his time, associates and DOES BUSINESS with Opposition players OMG.

grow up some of you.

Robert Harvey has bled for this team, he's busted his knees, copped blows to every part of his body, stood up for every value that the club it self rarely showed.

IMO Robert Harvey as an individual goes beyond football, he is a representative of everything that we hope our children to be, honest, decent, hard working, reliable, intelligent, generous (one example was Robert Harvey gave a job to that carlton ruckman whose name escapes that was involved in robbery, drugs etc), an excellent father, and a role model to children.

Anyone who has seen him with his children, with other peoples children, with the fans, know this man is aware of the enormous weight we the fans have placed on him, and pushed himself to achieve them.

Almost every player in the competition respects Robert Harvey, mortal opponents collingwood gave him a guard of honour, and well lets face it, collingwood have about the worst reputation for respecting opponents.

Sure he has gone to carlton, but frankly i have nothing but admiration for robert harvey, and I hope my kids grow up to be decent, honest, reliable, generous of heart, spirit and time as Banger has.

I can't think of a single story where people have said bad things about banger.

and after 21 years, loyal, dependable courageous dedication, he takes a part time job to help some kids coming through, I can only say he will do it with the utmost dedication to the best of his ability. It is not a cash job, he will not take advantage of carlton and he will wear the Carlton colours and do it with decent honesty.

frankly some of the rubbish about banger is disgraceful, good on you banger, i think football is better for you being part of it, and not only were you too good for st kilda, you were too good for the football community.

a more humble decent individual gracing the football oval i am yet to see.
Totally agree so people who addiction problems and have showed they have recovered from them should be treated the same as anyone else.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Totally agree so people who addiction problems and have showed they have recovered from them should be treated the same as anyone else.
if you are talking about cousins whats that got to do with Robert Harvey?

and have they shown conclusively they have ceased taking illegal drugs?

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
if you are talking about cousins whats that got to do with Robert Harvey?

and have they shown conclusively they have ceased taking illegal drugs?
Yes sorry about that post. I dont even understand what I was getting at or if it is even on the right thread.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I wish all the luck in the world to Harvs in anything he chooses to do. He gave over 20 years of his life to the St Kilda Football Club and will always be a champion and a legend as far as im concerned.

Any Carlton fan is kidding themselves if they think for 1 nano second they arnt the luckiest club in the AFL to have Banger as a development coach. If they can turn out just 1 player with his skill, heart and attitude they will be better off for it.

Finally IMHO to dicount a player of his magnitude just because he didnt win a flag is stupidity of the highest order.

Good luck at the Blues Harvs.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum