R. Harvey joins Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

TheBabyBlues wrote:Word of advice: Do not turn your back on him. He will forever be known as perhaps the greatest Saints player ever to pull on a cross, so the fact that he has chosen to further his career at Carlton doesn't change that fact.
Thanks but we don't need any lectures from Carlton scum on loyalty.

Do you guys even know the meaning of the word?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

IMHO its a pretty good move, he can see how NOT to do things at Carltoon and then make a triuphant return later on.

Good luck Banger, and all the best

BANG BANG
Last edited by Hurricane on Fri 10 Oct 2008 5:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

TheBabyBlues wrote::-D

I know how highly reguarded Sir Robert is held around here (just look at the avatars) and i know how much you guys hate Carlton, so this must be a huge punch in the guts for ya.

Having said that, i think most people have handled it pretty well.

You wont find many Carlton people complaining about the appointment.

Word of advice: Do not turn your back on him. He will forever be known as perhaps the greatest Saints player ever to pull on a cross, so the fact that he has chosen to further his career at Carlton doesn't change that fact.

BTW, whenever you're done with SOS, we'll take him back. ;-)
I have read a few posts over at Talking Carlton a few days ago and whilst the majority hold him in high regard, there were a couple of clowns that mentioned that they weren't too keen on getting him...

I recall something like in 21 years he never won a premiership what can he teach us and will not be a good choice...

Another positive poster suggested that he can teach the kids a Carlton his evasive skills and in reply to that a poster suggested that he didn't teach that to any at St Kilda, so why now??

There are some smart asses over there, but overall I feel most would acknowledge him for the champion he is both on and off the field

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
TheBabyBlues
Club Player

There will always be the black sheep of any group, but as you stated the majority of them were FOR the (suggested) appointment.

Wonder if he can bring with him any inside info...he should know you guys inside/out after 21 years. :lol:

BTW, is his book out yet?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

TheBabyBlues wrote:There will always be the black sheep of any group, but as you stated the majority of them were FOR the (suggested) appointment.

Wonder if he can bring with him any inside info...he should know you guys inside/out after 21 years. :lol:

BTW, is his book out yet?
Yep...

this is the main thread...

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... 81&start=0

He was at his shop today in Frankston signing the books

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Word of advice: Do not turn your back on him. He will forever be known as perhaps the greatest Saints player ever to pull on a cross, so the fact that he has chosen to further his career at Carlton doesn't change that fact.

Thanks for that advice

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Before Im 85
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Good luck u CHAMPION, come back in a few years and lead us to glory for ur premiership

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

WOW, hard pill to swallow :cry:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Yeah, that doesn't sit well with me. It may be the best thing for him personally... but... well... he can't be on my avatar anymore if he's with another club.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:Crap, one of the best to ever play teaching Carlton's midfield...of Gibbs, Murphy, Judd...

Oh dear. Saints win a flag before these guys really get going...only a matter of time now with Harves on board. :cry:
honestly i love bangers as much as the next guy but what makes you think he is some kind of super coach who will make the blues perform at their peek ?? bangers has been round mentoring our younge guys for the last 10 years but hasnt got them to lift what says he will get carlton too ???

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Mr X from the West
Club Player

He's a plant.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
derby Street
Club Player

Great players don't always make great coaches.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote:Great players don't always make great coaches.
He is only a part time development coach mate...

Harves has a "part time role" in developing the young players at the club, nothing at all to do with assisting in the coaches box at game day, as far as I know

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to the Great Man and wish him all the best personally.

Greatest player I've seen live, for mine he's the king.

But I'd have preferred if we'd been able to hold onto our best ever. IMO should have been held onto in a mentoring role.

I don't subscribe to the "he needs to serve elsewhere" line. He's an icon of our club, IMO, and deserves to be with us.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Breva Sidan

St Fidelius wrote:

I know how highly reguarded Sir Robert is held around here (just look at the avatars) and i know how much you guys hate Carlton, so this must be a huge punch in the guts for ya.

I have read a few posts over at Talking Carlton a few days ago and whilst the majority hold him in high regard, there were a couple of clowns that mentioned that they weren't too keen on getting him...

I recall something like in 21 years he never won a premiership what can he teach us and will not be a good choice...

Another positive poster suggested that he can teach the kids a Carlton his evasive skills and in reply to that a poster suggested that he didn't teach that to any at St Kilda, so why now??

There are some smart asses over there, but overall I feel most would acknowledge him for the champion he is both on and off the field
You're always going to get a couple who can't see past club loyalties.

I'm absolutely delighted to have Harvs on board at Carlton. Our developing players can only learn from his professional attitude and approach to the game.

Hopefully for Saints fans it'll be a learning curve on both sides and he ends up back at St Kilda in a few years with a different perspective on how other clubs operate. Doesn't always happen, but either way he'll always be one of yours.

158 - 48
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Just hope he has gone there as an under cover agent to de stabilise the place and do some inside damage.

But, good luck Harv's, it does hurt that you're going to Carlton, any other player would have attracted my wraith.

Shades
Club Player

now i really hate the blues

i miss harvs

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Good luck Banger.

I wish him every success.

While not a fan of Rattan, he was definately a smart, couragious football, who took the knocks dished out to him, and probably respect Bangers more than most having chased his tail many many timed during his career.

Rattan was the second best thing to happen to Carlton now banger is there.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Just hope he has gone there as an under cover agent to de stabilise the place and do some inside damage.

But, good luck Harv's, it does hurt that you're going to Carlton, any other player would have attracted my wraith.
honestly do you reckon banger would give anything less than 100%?

SHUT UP KRIME!
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Dan Warna wrote: Rattan was the second best thing to happen to Carlton now banger is there.
Judd helped a bit too.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote:Great players don't always make great coaches.
Robert Harvey isn't just a great player, he's a great person.

a fair few saints supporters should have learned that by now.

wishing or hinting ill on banger is a disgrace.

SHUT UP KRIME!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Breva Sidan wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

You're always going to get a couple who can't see past club loyalties.

I'm absolutely delighted to have Harvs on board at Carlton. Our developing players can only learn from his professional attitude and approach to the game.

Hopefully for Saints fans it'll be a learning curve on both sides and he ends up back at St Kilda in a few years with a different perspective on how other clubs operate. Doesn't always happen, but either way he'll always be one of yours.
yep...

always a couple of bogans over at Talking Carlton, like this recent post...
pinnell wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
pinnell wrote:Like many other retired players wants to coach because he knows nothing outside of football...needs a pay cheque from somewhere...which club would be silly enough to give him one?
Errrrr.
Dunno.
Those in charge have made some fantastic moves off the field and I applaud them, This one is ordinary to say the least. But hey, its only as development coach, he can't do much harm.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

The way some of you have responded as if he has killed someone. He is becoming their development coach for christsake. It doesn't mean he suddenly becomes a huge carlton supporter or anything. it will be a good experience for him and hopefully valuable later on if he should take up a role where his heart is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He will come back to the Saints for sure. look at Leigh Matthews.

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

It's not sitting well with me. lt's been pretty tricky trying to explain to the kids as to why our hero & Saints icon, will now assist the enemy in plotting against us. They just don't get it & l can't say for certain to them that he'll eventually come back because,.. who can tell?

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972