saints pitch for cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:And just to add one further comment....this is akin to a comeback from a retirement. At least 12mths out of the game.

How many successful comebacks have there been from a retirement?

Stewart Dew is the only recent success and he hasn't done it easy. Lockett?

Timmy Watson was nearly the equivalent player to Cousins. Same type. And he struggled after a while out of the game in the early 1990s.

Don't just think because someone was once able to perform, they will again in their 30s on a regular basis.

But again, I hear the alternative arguments. Just don't necessary agree.
locket and watson were a few years older in the same situation. cousins year off might have actually helped. hes only 29 and super fit.

stuey dew and lockett cat really be compared to cuz. and timmy watson was a man-child. so all bad examples.

cuz has 2 years left in him as an elite player PROVIDED his mind is ok.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:Cousins is a disgrace.

StKilda should avoid him like the plague.

Imagine the poor role model he would be to our younger players.
Yep getting 30 + touches a game wont teach them a thing :roll:

And before you carry on about his lifestyle, the young blokes are already exposed to drugs (get your head out of the sand) and its a decision thing so his past addictions would not mean anything to them, they would see it every weekend already, geez he could even teach them about where he went wrong.

I cant wait to see him in a Saints jumper in 09.

GET IT DONE ST KILDA
he is known as one of the hardest trainers in afl history.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No-one disputes how hard he trains, it is more the match fitness that is the concern. He hasn't played for what, 18 months now?

Beekay
SS Life Member

Imagine if these blokes all hit form together in the same midfield:

Lenny Hayes, Ben Cousins, Nick Dal Santo, Luke Ball, Brendon Goddard.

Wow I really really want Cousins.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:Come on Saints not much action in trade week, LETS GET HIM! :)
He's not available trade week, so the club should concentrate on other players for trades.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Unfortunately, I think its a 80% chance he will end up with the dero scum. He LOVES training obviously, look at the lexus centre, then look the other way at moorabbin, what do you think he will choose all other factors being around the same?

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

iwantmeseats wrote:look at the lexus centre, then look the other way at moorabbin?
It's Hamilton Island vs Somalia.

Morabbin ....ouch.

Lexus centre!? Awesome.

Cousins to the pies.

realdeal
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:No-one disputes how hard he trains, it is more the match fitness that is the concern. He hasn't played for what, 18 months now?
So what..
so does that mean we should not retain Maguire too? How many games has he played in the same time? What about when Hayes and Goddard did their knee's.. they were out for 12 months.

At least Cousins has been able to run and train the whole time.

Certain types of players may not be able to do it but Cousins isn't one of them, i'm sure he could come back and be an important member of the team.. sure he may not be the player that won a Brownlow but surely he'd be better than a few of our fringe players, amongst others..

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Geez - mixed feelings about this one.

I still believe he can play. Anyone who thinks he is too old at 30 is kidding themselves. Not dissimilar to Harvey from a body type / running ability aspect - and Harves played a lot of great footy after he turned 30. Missed 2 seasons I hear you say ? .. didnt Harves miss a lot of games in consecutive seasons with a knee injury ?

Would be a sensational addition to the midfield rotation.

As a father of 2 young boys, do I want my boys to look up to him ?. Not really - will probably mean I need to bring forward a converstaion I was going to have with my kids in a couple of years time about the dangers of drugs etc and prepare them for the fact that despite all the assurances that the club will provide, BC could fall of the wagon at anytime.

Am I worried about the Saints boys falling into bad habits ? .. No. Seriously - those that do - would have got led astray anyway.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Think this years draft picks have overinflated value at the moment - there's a lot of clubs shying away from proven performers out of fear of missing a future champ.
An astute club could pick up some very good players relatively cheaply - mcintosh, okeefe, harris, dal santo, cousins, etc

hell if kerr isn't worth an aaron fiora and a raph clarke i'll eat my proverbial hat... - but clubs are scared they'll wind up trading away a future judd and a hodge? what are the odds?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Gilbert=Legend

The only worry about cousins is the drug aspect and his general behaviour.

Will it get passed onto the boys? not very likly with the likes of Roo and Hayes as the leaders.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:No-one disputes how hard he trains, it is more the match fitness that is the concern. He hasn't played for what, 18 months now?
So what..
so does that mean we should not retain Maguire too? How many games has he played in the same time? What about when Hayes and Goddard did their knee's.. they were out for 12 months.

At least Cousins has been able to run and train the whole time.

Certain types of players may not be able to do it but Cousins isn't one of them, i'm sure he could come back and be an important member of the team.. sure he may not be the player that won a Brownlow but surely he'd be better than a few of our fringe players, amongst others..
Firstly, how old were they when they missed that amount football...it's not really the same comparison given that the guy is 31? As I mentioned earlier, we would want to be sure he's legs are holding up....ignore the fact if you want too.

Red
Club Player

There are couple of H.... with a medallion around their necks who have

a couple of strikes that don't seem to bother their supporters.

realdeal
Club Player

[quote="ohwhenthesaints

Firstly, how old were they when they missed that amount football...it's not really the same comparison given that the guy is 31? As I mentioned earlier, we would want to be sure he's legs are holding up....ignore the fact if you want too.[/quote]

All young. i get your point but they were also laid up in bed for months.

How old was Harvey when he did his knee and then his shoulder and missed all those games?

Cousins is 30. I don't deny its a risk. But we give out a PSD pick which normally amounts to zilch anyway so we lose nothing but reward could be fantasic.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:[quote="ohwhenthesaints

Firstly, how old were they when they missed that amount football...it's not really the same comparison given that the guy is 31? As I mentioned earlier, we would want to be sure he's legs are holding up....ignore the fact if you want too.

How old was Harvey when he did his knee and then his shoulder and missed all those games?

Cousins is 30. I don't deny its a risk. But we give out a PSD pick which normally amounts to zilch anyway so we lose nothing but reward could be fantasic.[/quote]

That part I won't dispute, he could potentially be a bargain....as long as we don't get caught up in the hype, and evalutate what would be fair and reasonable. I just hope that the board is sensible and takes into account all the risks, and not just the personal "history" so often pointed out in these threads.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert=Legend wrote:The only worry about cousins is the drug aspect and his general behaviour.

Will it get passed onto the boys? not very likly with the likes of Roo and Hayes as the leaders.
all the boys are exposed to drugs anyway. and they are all big enough to say no. as im sure they hve been in those situations many times before.

the other thing about cousins - he has never been convicted of any crime. he has never even tested positive to anything under the afl's vountary regime.

yes he had a massive drug problem - but he admitted it- he wasnt ever busted.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

A fully fit and rehabilitated Ben Cousins would be a fantastic addition to our squad - we all know how fit he keeps himself football wise and with a full pre season under his belt, it wouldn't take him long to gain match fitness.
Also, being fully rehabilitated from drugs, what better example to kids could you have in him explaining, from first hand experience, the evils of drugs.
And again also, if he is fully rehabilitated, he deserves a second chance.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

Cousins is 30. I don't deny its a risk. But we give out a PSD pick which normally amounts to zilch anyway so we lose nothing but reward could be fantasic.

i think cousins is currently only 29. will be 30 next season.

FullMonty
Club Player

Lets beat the scum to him.
In the end he willl make Dal look like a star when he no longer has the first tag.
National draft please.
Waiting for the PSD we will miss him IMHO 8-)

Montyrules!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

FullMonty wrote:National draft please.
I agree. The only way we get him at this stage is if he nominates for the ND.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintjake
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
FullMonty wrote:National draft please.
I agree. The only way we get him at this stage is if he nominates for the ND.
maybe he will come to his senses, and say he wants to come to us, and tell the filth were to go 8-) :lol:

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

The mail from Perth on SEN reckons he has yet to decide if he wants to play ever again... let alone for Collingwood or us.

He may well be seeking clearance from AFL for his personal sake and to prove something to hiself.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

if he can get back in form, i'd definately take him, even if it was only for 2 or 3 years

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

i think cousins is currently only 29. will be 30 next season.
No, I think he is 30 and will be 31 next season

RoseInOz
Club Player

Interesting photo here.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/
Last edited by RoseInOz on Thu 09 Oct 2008 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!