3-way trade- would we be happy with...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:X was always the more talented of the Clarke boys & we've seen indications of what Raph is capable of.
wasn't raph regarded as the more talented junior?

in any case, they are both potentially very good players. x just needs some luck with injury.

too many on here are judging him on one game when he was bought back for a final without a real solid match fitness base.
I thought X was starting to look good this year, until he was smashed into the next week 90 meters off the ball during that first Geelong game. A couple weeks out, few small injuries, drop off of form and all the sudden this forum's trading him! I can see his trade potential, but can't see that we'd gain much...especially with respect to the OP trade suggestion IMO.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: 3-way trade- would we be happy with...

StNoodles wrote:x. clarke to port

a. thomson to tigers

j. shulz to st kilda
:shock:

Seriously - Just another example of Saintsational's lack of football knowledge outside of the StKFC.

That suggestion is actually quite disgusting.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:X was always the more talented of the Clarke boys & we've seen indications of what Raph is capable of.

in any case, they are both potentially very good players. x just needs some luck with injury.

too many on here are judging him on one game when he was bought back for a final without a real solid match fitness base.
I thought X was starting to look good this year, until he was smashed into the next week 90 meters off the ball during that first Geelong game. A couple weeks out, few small injuries, drop off of form and all the sudden this forum's trading him! I can see his trade potential, but can't see that we'd gain much...especially with respect to the OP trade suggestion IMO.
I dont think it was the last 10 weeks more like last 5 years hasn't shown enough... but no trade value worth more to us to keep him and see what he can do... as if he's rated like Shulz than no point....

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

More like

Essendon: Thomson, 3rd round (37)

Port: X, 3rd round (48)

Saints: Lovett

Fairly even...

Saints lose: Clarke and 3rd rounder (48)
Port lose: Thomson, 3rd rounder (37)
Essendon Lose: Lovett

We need a speed freak... and Clarke gets lost for me... We may be losing our but a high third rounder i wouldn't lose sleep over

thoughts? i think its even but may be off who would be the loser maybe use? I would be happy with it
Last edited by mightysainters on Tue 07 Oct 2008 5:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:More like

Essendon: Thomson, 3rd round (Port)

Port: X, 3rd round (Saints)

Saints: Lovett

Fairly even...

Saints lose: Clarke and 3rd rounder
Port lose: Thomson, 3rd rounder
Essendon Lose: Lovett

We need a speed freak... and Clarke gets lost for me... We may be losing our but a high third rounder i wouldn't lose sleep over

thoughts? i think its even but may be off who would be the loser?
so we get lovett?
essendon get thomson,

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

thomson and pick 38...mayb not enough? mayb our 2nd rounder...

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

If we can somehow get Thomson, Lovett & Cousins (+ select midfielders with our first 2 picks in this draft, one quick & skilful, the other a clearance king), our midfield will be strong for a few years to come...
Last edited by True Blue Sainter on Tue 07 Oct 2008 6:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Saints are coming!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i have that feeling cousins is coming to stkilda.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:no.
shulz is crap
jesus christ ralphy you has posted something completely 100% on the money

is thomson actually any good??? i think we can trust mark williams' talent identity and if he didnt play a player there would be a damn good reason for it

i dont want schultz at the club

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
GrumpyOne

Warning!

Port Adelaide have expressed an interest in Xavier Clarke, and there is no better judge of a footballer than Choco Williams.

Look what Rodan has done since he has been at Port, and X is far more skilfull.

Don't let him go Ross.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:

In 2001 X was spoken about as the best player out of the NT since Michael Long. Raph had a disappointing U/18 carnival & his stock dropped considerably.

My main point being that IF X can get his body right (like Raph finally has) we've got a top quality player.

Personally I hope we draft at least one indigenous player this year (hopefully one of Yarran and Hill are still available at #13). We really could do with some exceptional pace, goal kicking magic and sublime skill that the aboriginal boys usually bring.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

In 2001 X was spoken about as the best player out of the NT since Michael Long. Raph had a disappointing U/18 carnival & his stock dropped considerably.

My main point being that IF X can get his body right (like Raph finally has) we've got a top quality player.

Personally I hope we draft at least one indigenous player this year (hopefully one of Yarran and Hill are still available at #13). We really could do with some exceptional pace, goal kicking magic and sublime skill that the aboriginal boys usually bring.
Totally agree - someone of the ilk of Richard Cole, Alan Murray, Chris Egan, Richard Tambling or even a Jarrod Oakley Nicholls.

Get my drift?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Totally agree - someone of the ilk of Richard Cole, Alan Murray, Chris Egan, Richard Tambling or even a Jarrod Oakley Nicholls.

Get my drift?
Haha.. fair point Spinner.

Although I reckon Tambling really came on this year. He's a very good player now, will always suffer due to the Buddy thing but he's not the dud many make him out to be.

I still would like to add Yarran or Hill come draft day. Yarran is pure magic on his day & Hill is lightning quick. You can't argue that we could do with both of those qualities.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I have no doubt IF we can EVER get X Clarkes body right he will shine.

He runs, tackles well (Geelong game a shocker but hed been out and it was a big ask...) and does bob up for a goal.

IMO give him another year misson managed and see what we can achieve.....I know its frustrating but somust Richmond watching rodan running round (who I was amazed they let got at the time given where Richmond were at...)

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

raph was always regarded as better (mainly due to his height). relative draft positions confirms this.

either way id trade X happily.

goodie
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

raph was always regarded as better (mainly due to his height). relative draft positions confirms this.

either way id trade X happily.
What do you mean? X was drafted at 5, Raph was 8

groupie1
Club Player

even if X gets himself fit, I'm not convinced he's good enough - all the skills, none of the head, instinct or hardness

Raph, on the other hand, is an emerging superstar - and I've been saying it for years when everyone else was writing him off.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

groupie1 wrote:even if X gets himself fit, I'm not convinced he's good enough - all the skills, none of the head, instinct or hardness

Raph, on the other hand, is an emerging superstar - and I've been saying it for years when everyone else was writing him off.
Absolute rubbish.

If you've ever seen X shirk a contest please enlighten me.

His courage has been his downfall at times. As for instinct, well I disagree there too.

X is an exceptionally talented footballer who has huge question marks over his body's ability to stand up to AFL footy. That is his issue. Not his hardness, football ability or smarts.

St Marcus
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:
groupie1 wrote:even if X gets himself fit, I'm not convinced he's good enough - all the skills, none of the head, instinct or hardness

Absolute rubbish.

If you've ever seen X shirk a contest please enlighten me.

His courage has been his downfall at times. As for instinct, well I disagree there too.

X is an exceptionally talented footballer who has huge question marks over his body's ability to stand up to AFL footy. That is his issue. Not his hardness, football ability or smarts.

My thoughts exactly, very well put.

I would be VERY disappointed if we traded X

Choco Williams obviously recognises his talent. Trade him at our peril

Alfie Hewsdale
Club Player

Trades

If this forum had it's way in the last three years we would have traded or delisted:

Raph
BJ
Kosi
Dal
Blake
X

Thanks goodness they haven't put us in charge of recruiting. :wink:

uncle joe
Club Player

I'd have X , Raph , Dal Santo , Kosi , Mcguire , And probably 3 or 4 fringe players on the trade table , and see what comes up . Deals don't have to be done if it does'nt suit us .

The thing is , we can't beat Hawthorn or Geelong . We are just marking time . Our top players are getting older and the younger ones are not showing anything really exceptional .

We need new blood , and we need it now , whether its established players or new kids through extra picks in this so-called gun draft . Remember , from now on drafts are going to be vastly in favour of the new teams .

Cro
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Get my drift?
Haha.. fair point Spinner.

Although I reckon Tambling really came on this year. He's a very good player now, will always suffer due to the Buddy thing but he's not the dud many make him out to be.

I still would like to add Yarran or Hill come draft day. Yarran is pure magic on his day & Hill is lightning quick. You can't argue that we could do with both of those qualities.
We don't want Yarran. He went missing in the WAFL GF. Last thing we need is another bloke who doesn't show up for finals footy.

X should be shopped around, much like what Kanga's are doing with Hmac, they don't want to get rid of him, but if someone bites big time you do the deal.

X has had heaps of injuries, so there is no guarantee he will ever be able to survive a full season.

StNoodles
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

a. thomson to tigers

j. shulz to st kilda

Seriously - Just another example of Saintsational's lack of football knowledge outside of the StKFC.

lmao, sorry superstar, we can't all have your infinite knowledge of all things AFL

it was a question posed to generate discussion, and that it has done.

seriously - your post is just an example of your inability to comprehend the distinction between a question and the advocation of an idea. disgusting.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :arrow: :roll:

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

X & Raph.... the next Burgoyne's of the AFL.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

StNoodles wrote:
Spinner wrote:

a. thomson to tigers

j. shulz to st kilda

lmao, sorry superstar, we can't all have your infinite knowledge of all things AFL

it was a question posed to generate discussion, and that it has done.

seriously - your post is just an example of your inability to comprehend the distinction between a question and the advocation of an idea. disgusting.
Fair dinkum - post a stupid idea, you get what you're given and don't complain.

FWIW, I'm with Spinner. The lack of football knowledge on here outside the club is lamentable.

How it usually comes out?
Crap St Kilda player = potential laden type with heaps of trade value.
Potential-laden non-Saint = crap player who we don't want because Brad Howard has nice legs.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.