Anthony Rock leaving to return to North

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Golfer

If we are going for a new assistant we need people from successful clubs who have won premierships not St kilda people. We need to tell the players what they should do to win premierships. unfortunately our favourtie sons don't have that.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:Harvey to work with the mids would do me fine :!: :!:
hasnt he taken a job to work with the afl with the younger kids.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Golfer wrote:If we are going for a new assistant we need people from successful clubs who have won premierships not St kilda people. We need to tell the players what they should do to win premierships. unfortunately our favourtie sons don't have that.
I think you're right

Richter
SS Life Member

No.1 choice - Buckley

No.2 choice - Buckley

No.3 choice - Buckley

He has really impressed in the media this year. Though I liked his game as a player, like most I didn't much care for his FIGJAM attitude. However, since retiring he has conducted himself with real class - witness his continual praise and respect he offered up for Harvey during the year.

Seems measured and thoughtful - and quite simply commands respect when he opens his gob. A born leader. And in terms of the way he played a natural role model for Brendan Goddard - who I believe is on the verge of hitting really stellar form.

He can come to us for a few years then take over from Milkshake when he hands his cards in - after helping RL guide us to the next 3 premierships of course.......

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:No.1 choice - Buckley

No.2 choice - Buckley

No.3 choice - Buckley

He has really impressed in the media this year. Though I liked his game as a player, like most I didn't much care for his FIGJAM attitude. However, since retiring he has conducted himself with real class - witness his continual praise and respect he offered up for Harvey during the year.

Seems measured and thoughtful - and quite simply commands respect when he opens his gob. A born leader. And in terms of the way he played a natural role model for Brendan Goddard - who I believe is on the verge of hitting really stellar form.

He can come to us for a few years then take over from Milkshake when he hands his cards in - after helping RL guide us to the next 3 premierships of course.......
Very balanced and logical post... I'm sold! :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

ralphysaints35 wrote:
currently being courted by Carlton...

source??

close to the horses mouth?

Maybe... maybe not..

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

No.2 choice - Buckley

No.3 choice - Buckley

I like it.

Go for FIGJAM!

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Thanks for the service Rocky...

Now, we need to find a replacement to improve our midfield further.

The Saints are coming!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

No.2 choice - Buckley

No.3 choice - Buckley

beat me too it

read his article on the eve of the prelim and tell me this guy is not a very deep thinker about the game. Would actually be a good option for a forwards coach as well.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

If we we're looking for those previously in our stable then Aussie Jones must be considered. Has been coaching in the TAC cup I believe?

Simon Templar
Club Player

Auss'd be good you'd reckon, but he's queried the direction RL was taking the gameplan, could go against him but could be a real good move because I think it helps to have some blokes with differences of opinions on board....

Harvs would be great too, don't worry about that ! I don't reckon we have to look outside the Club..........!

Go you good things....!!!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I still would like to see Jason Cripps back

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Any potential assistant coach would need to be able to work in with the head coach, as well as share similar philosophies and values. They must also command respect from the senior coach.

All well and good to say we need different opinions etc... ut if you have coaches pulling in different directions, then you have disunity.

Assitant coaches must essentially be "yes" men and play their part in the overall big picture painted by the coach.

If and when they become a senior coach, then they can do as they wish.

IMO.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

No disrespect to Harves but I think the club and himself could benefit from a year off just to freshen up and let things settle...

Buckley would be a good get....has a great football brain and is a born leader as well.

Brian Royal would also be on my list .

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:No disrespect to Harves but I think the club and himself could benefit from a year off just to freshen up and let things settle...

Buckley would be a good get....has a great football brain and is a born leader as well.

Brian Royal would also be on my list .
As mentioned on here previously, I saw Buckley at Moorabbin about 2 months ago. It could have been media related, or it may have been more? I wouldn't be suprised if he commences he's coaching apprenticeship in 2009....

santazzi
Club Player

could this be an omen...Buckley was in Hobart today and he visited my Hospital to say hi to a young fan who is unwell.....he was very much in a hurry to catch a plane .....he run in and out of my ward............but I must say he was full of charm and humour and he has a real presence........If he comes to us I think he will be an asset...........!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Some may shoot me.....

But having listened to buckley many times since he retired I reckon he would be perfect.

He hasa great understanding about tye game...and is very quick picking things up and in communicating them.

He is also extremely passionate about the game and is very profesional.

Would be a good choice if available.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think this has been mentioned, but Nigel Lappin anyone???

Knows how to go about the midfield caper, and certainly knows what it takes to win the flag.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
I think the job has been offered. I haven't read anywhere that he has accepted as yet !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
I think the job has been offered. I haven't read anywhere that he has accepted as yet !!
I don't mean to offend anyone, and I am prepared to come under fire for my opinion. But why do people think that Harvey will make more of impact in a coaching capacity with our current (midfielders) list, than what he did playing along side them? No disrespect to Harveys potential coaching capabilities, but he might be to close to the current list to light a fire under them so to speak?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Eastern wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
I don't mean to offend anyone, and I am prepared to come under fire for my opinion. But why do people think that Harvey will make more of impact in a coaching capacity with our current (midfielders) list, than what he did playing along side them? No disrespect to Harveys potential coaching capabilities, but he might be to close to the current list to light a fire under them so to speak?
And....... a "NEW" assistant coach coming in from outside can "Freshen Up" the group to a certian extent with a new voice and some new ideas !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Eastern wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
And....... a "NEW" assistant coach coming in from outside can "Freshen Up" the group to a certian extent with a new voice and some new ideas !!
Phew, I am glad someone can see that a break would serve Harvey and the team best. It will also allow him to extend his experience, and get fresh idea's for when he eventually returns to St Kilda in the coming years.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

No.2 choice - Buckley

No.3 choice - Buckley

Every word he said.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Why do people assume that great midfielders will make a great coach???

Coaching is a different caper. Not every player has great communication skills, and may not be able to convey their theory or instructions to players.

See Kevin Bartlett, Watson, etc.

Forget Harvey. If anything, he wants to work on mental development.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

What about Cousins?

We might still get him just not the way we thought :shrug: