Time To Dust off The Number 4

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Time To Dust off The Number 4

The Saints' number 4 jumper has been in mothballs for 12 months now, and it's time to get it out and pass it on.

I suppose an obvious choice is Armo. It will be a good indication of where the club see's his progression at, whether he gets a decent upgrade with his number, with a few low ones available (4, 9, maybe 6, possibly even 3??)

My choice is Raph Clarke. He has now shown the skills, pace and confidence that the many people have spoken about, but not many of us fans had seen. his last 6 weeks of the 2008 season were fantastic.

I have no doubt, if his form can stay somewhere close to the last few games of this year, that he will play 200 games for the Saints.

Thoughts??? (on Number 4, not Raph Clarke!!!) :)

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Id love to see Sammy Fisher get a higher number, but i spose hes made it his own now.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time To Dust off The Number 4

St Chris wrote:My choice is Raph Clarke. He has now shown the skills, pace and confidence that the many people have spoken about, but not many of us fans had seen. his last 6 weeks of the 2008 season were fantastic
good call. raph's a star in the making and what better vote of confidence in the kid than to give him one of the club's most famous numbers.

Halo
Club Player

I think Raph needs to play a season like his last 2 games before we start talking about giving him the Number 4.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Vote no to Armitage in #4. I have question marks over his commitment off the field to his training. Needs to step up a few gears.

Depending on any trades (O'Keefe?), or who we draft, I'd look at promoting Eddy to #4.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Time To Dust off The Number 4

St Chris wrote:The Saints' number 4 jumper has been in mothballs for 12 months now, and it's time to get it out and pass it on.

I suppose an obvious choice is Armo. It will be a good indication of where the club see's his progression at, whether he gets a decent upgrade with his number, with a few low ones available (4, 9, maybe 6, possibly even 3??)

My choice is Raph Clarke. He has now shown the skills, pace and confidence that the many people have spoken about, but not many of us fans had seen. his last 6 weeks of the 2008 season were fantastic.

I have no doubt, if his form can stay somewhere close to the last few games of this year, that he will play 200 games for the Saints.

Thoughts??? (on Number 4, not Raph Clarke!!!) :)
Im thinking it will go to someone like Robert Eddy, Clinton Jones or Jarryd Allen.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

What about Harves #35 have they retired his number???

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

n1ck wrote:Id love to see Sammy Fisher get a higher number, but i spose hes made it his own now.
4 is lower than 25 champ ;)

Personally I'd like to see #4 go to Ben Cousins.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

CJ for #4 , id give #9 to our next forward maybe allen. or mcevoy

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

SENsaintsational wrote:Vote no to Armitage in #4. I have question marks over his commitment off the field to his training. Needs to step up a few gears.

Depending on any trades (O'Keefe?), or who we draft, I'd look at promoting Eddy to #4.
That would be akin to giving Stephen Newport #1 after Barks retired!

Save #4 for a quality, long term player... not someone who has huge question marks over whether he will be around in 12 months time. Eddy is a honest toiler who can run all day but has shown little actual football ability.

I like the Sam Fisher suggestion if we don't give it to a young draftee.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

RedWhiteBlack wrote:
n1ck wrote:Id love to see Sammy Fisher get a higher number, but i spose hes made it his own now.
4 is lower than 25 champ ;)

Personally I'd like to see #4 go to Ben Cousins.
Most people call it a higher number in this regard as generally they are reserved for the 'senior' players... champ.

Like the #4 draft pick is a HIGHER pick than #25.

Id rather see #9 go to Benny boy.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I think Fraser has said before that he'd like a big forward to get the Number 9, so Allen is the obvious pick there (unless there's a similar draftee) and i don't think Big Mac would change No. 5 for 9.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

I still can't understand why people are jumping the gun on Raph...

Sure - he played a few good games at the end of the season, but why does this outweigh the number of terrible games he's played?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Vote no to Armitage in #4. I have question marks over his commitment off the field to his training. Needs to step up a few gears.

Save #4 for a quality, long term player... not someone who has huge question marks over whether he will be around in 12 months time. Eddy is a honest toiler who can run all day but has shown little actual football ability.

RE: Eddy.

Look beyond what you can see. 8-)

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I would like either Raph Clarke or Rob Eddy to get it. Would love to know Andrew Thompson's thoughts !!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:CJ for #4 , id give #9 to our next forward maybe allen. or mcevoy
In case you're not aware McEvoy already has No.5

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:CJ for #4 , id give #9 to our next forward maybe allen. or mcevoy
In case you're not aware McEvoy already has No.5
didnt know ...

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Interesting you believe a rookie who's showed a bit of promise but had a very soft season or a player we haven't even drafted yet has earnt it over Armitage?

He must really be in your bad books
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Fri 03 Oct 2008 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

What number was/is Daniel kerr? 8-) 8-)

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

does show our lack of quality youth can't think of anyone to get it.... :?, our first rounder maybe...

ctqs
Club Player

O'Keefe getting number 4? Hmmm ... shades of Paul Moorwood.
Certainly not Raph or Armo.
Look to the future and give it to a kid and let him make it his own.
While on numbers ...
Am I right in thinking no Saints player (in the last 25 years anyway) has had more jumper numbers than Frankie Peckett. Started in 52, then 29, then 8, then finished in 1.
I reckon we had about five players in the one team who'd worn 29 at one stage or another - Peckett, Burke, Thommo, Aussie, and Baker.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

n1ck wrote: Most people call it a higher number in this regard as generally they are reserved for the 'senior' players... champ.

Like the #4 draft pick is a HIGHER pick than #25.
Most people??? I've never heard anyone say #4 is higher thn #25. For the sake of this exercise lets call it and "EARLIER" number!!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Am I right in thinking no Saints player (in the last 25 years anyway) has had more jumper numbers than Frankie Peckett. Started in 52, then 29, then 8, then finished in 1.
Interesting. Cant actually recall Frankie wearing 8

Craig Devonport wore 8 and 1

Burkie went from 52 to 29 to 3

Is my memory going??? lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Did "Rodney" wear 52 before getting 35? :lol:

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

SENsaintsational wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:

RE: Eddy.

Look beyond what you can see. 8-)
Not 100% on what you mean Sen but I assume you're talking about Eddy's potential (I've seen him miss easy goals, drop marks but try his heart out).

I didn't mean to slur Eddy but I just see him as a bloke who is very limited skills wise and limited scope for improvement. I love his endeavour but I would argue that giving him #4 is getting a bit ahead of where he is right now (a bloke off the rookie list who is far from guaranteed a medium term future at the club). He does have some similarities with Thommo but Thommo had a great couple of years before getting the #4.