The Draft By Emma Quayle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

The Draft By Emma Quayle

Apologies if something about this book has already been posted (I did a search & didn't see anything).

I've just finished reading 'The Draft' by Emma Quayle & it's an absolute ripper book for footy tragics.

A number of fascinating insights into the whole junior development/Under 18/Drafting system. Emma followed 5 Under 18's last year (Cyril Rioli, Pat Veszpremi, Brad Ebert, Trent Cotchin & Ben McEvoy) and chronicles their year & the lead up to the 2007 draft.

Of particular interest to us is the comments about St Kilda's approach to the draft where John Peake states that they had three players in mind for pick 9- McEvoy, Jack Grimes and Lachie Henderson. Had we not traded pick 26 to Sydney they would have drafted Grimes & tried to get Dawson Simpson in the second round. Once they only had pick 9 then McEvoy became the priority.

I suppose we can maybe surmise from this that they are very keen to draft another key position player (Henderson was slated as a CHB). Although with our midfield depth the issue you would think that would be the priority.

It's a great book anyway & big Ben comes across as a highly intelligent & competitive young man. It's also pretty clear how Cyril Rioli fell to pick 13!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Draft By Emma Quayle

Animal Enclosure wrote:Apologies if something about this book has already been posted (I did a search & didn't see anything).

I've just finished reading 'The Draft' by Emma Quayle & it's an absolute ripper book for footy tragics.

A number of fascinating insights into the whole junior development/Under 18/Drafting system. Emma followed 5 Under 18's last year (Cyril Rioli, Pat Veszpremi, Brad Ebert, Trent Cotchin & Ben McEvoy) and chronicles their year & the lead up to the 2007 draft.

Of particular interest to us is the comments about St Kilda's approach to the draft where John Peake states that they had three players in mind for pick 9- McEvoy, Jack Grimes and Lachie Henderson. Had we not traded pick 26 to Sydney they would have drafted Grimes & tried to get Dawson Simpson in the second round. Once they only had pick 9 then McEvoy became the priority.

I suppose we can maybe surmise from this that they are very keen to draft another key position player (Henderson was slated as a CHB). Although with our midfield depth the issue you would think that would be the priority.

It's a great book anyway & big Ben comes across as a highly intelligent & competitive young man. It's also pretty clear how Cyril Rioli fell to pick 13!
Why?

Was it lack of speed, I remember hearing something similar - might have been fitness level.

I will be buying the book - I love this kind of s***!!!!!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Don't want to ruin it for you but let's just say that his draft camp was pretty ordinary.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:Don't want to ruin it for you but let's just say that his draft camp was pretty ordinary.
Was Cyril soused??

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
NoMore
Club Player

Yeah we had a great draft

Al of the boys Peake talks about have barely played a game.

I know who i wanted.

McEnvoy is a dud.

Anyone who wastes first round picks on ruckmen has no idea about football.

Look at the 2 GF sides this year. There ruckmen were High quality weren't they.

Complete waste the best thing that St Kilda could do is sack Peakes

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:Yeah we had a great draft

I know who i wanted.

McEnvoy is a dud.

*McEvoy

NoMore
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
NoMore wrote:Yeah we had a great draft

I know who i wanted.

McEnvoy is a dud.

*McEvoy
Same crap. He is still a dud and a waste of a first round pick

Raven
Club Player

What are you basing that on? His first year? Give him some time, sheesh. You want him to be a superstar instantly?

NoMore
Club Player

no i want him to show something.

I also believe that for the role ruckmen play in winning a premiership they are not worth a first round pick.

Also u don't know how a ruckmen will turn out till the are in there mid 20's. There for it is a risk not worth taking.

Does anyone honestly believe Kruezer is that good. That was a waste.

Considering how few midfielders we have i would have thought that is what we should have chased.

You are better off having an average ruckmen than a dud but u don't know what u r getting till they 24-28.

I just can't believe we threw our first rounder away

suss
Club Player

You argument has some merit regarding risk (e.g. Cox the rookie vs. Brooks the top ten pick) but a great ruckman it worth his weight in gold.

McEvoy has shown enough to make me think he'll make the grade and as for Kreuzer...he played some very good footy in the early part of this season including a belter against Adelaide when he won the game for them in the last quater.

Richter
SS Life Member

NoMore wrote:Anyone who wastes first round picks on ruckmen has no idea about football.

Hmmm, guess Geelong don't have a clue then?

They traded two first round picks for Brad Ottens.
McEnvoy is a dud.
This sums you up.....

A poorly educated flog.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

How many games have you seen Ben play NoMore?

Are you basing your well judged opinion on his solitary senior game?

Are you basing your ruckmen/premiership theory on Hawthorn (hang on a sec, what about Geelong?...wasn't Ottens a no.2 draft pick and he's a premiership player).

Have a read of the book & I think that you'll find that Ben was rated top 5 talent wise by people that earn big money to recruit the best kids into the AFL (and I'm not talking about John Peake). The lad will take time but anyone with any idea will tell you that we've got a beauty.

If you're just a tool slagging off a kid that has probably already achieved more in his life than you ever will then I'm sorry I've wasted my time replying to you.

NoMore
Club Player

no u all make good points but last time i recall Ottens won a flag for Geelong didn't he.

Wasn't he drafted by Richmond. Yes thats right but how long did it take for him to be dominant. Was it close on 10 years

Oh and by the way i am pretty sure that even with out Ottens Geelong may have got over Port Adelaide.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Most recruiters had McEvoy ranked around 16th to 20th pick.

It could very well be that history will show they were pretty close to the mark in their assessment of him.

Hopefully for his sake and ours, he exceeds those expectations. If he turns out to be merely a tap ruckman who is useless around the ground or vice versa, then it will truly be remembered as a poor selection.

If you're picking up a ruckman with a top ten selection, then he has to be the complete package.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner was Pick #1.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Where can i find this so called, 'book' ???

Oh, and Otiman, when Gardiner was at his peak, he was the complete package. Unstoppable.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

We can Draft David Thomas under the father son rule will we ?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Draft By Emma Quayle

Animal Enclosure wrote:Of particular interest to us is the comments about St Kilda's approach to the draft where John Peake states that they had three players in mind for pick 9- McEvoy, Jack Grimes and Lachie Henderson. Had we not traded pick 26 to Sydney they would have drafted Grimes & tried to get Dawson Simpson in the second round. Once they only had pick 9 then McEvoy became the priority.
To be honest I would probably prefer to have Grimes and Simpson than McEvoy, Schneider and Dempster.

Grimes will be a gun midfielder in a couple of years (had OP this season) and Simpson is an absolute monster who will probably end up being 210cm and 120kg by his mid-twenties. With a lot of work and one-on-one training he could be a huge force in the AFL.

McEvoy looks like a smart player with good skills, but he doesn't have the outstanding height, strength or athletisism that all great ruckman have these days. He won't get kicks like Dean Cox, he won't get the hitouts like Sandilands and he won't throw opponents around like Ottens. At best I think we're looking at a David Hale type.

Schneider is a reasonable small forward but he doesn't look particularly committed and he is very inconsistent. Dempster was doing a fair job before his injury but is easily replaced.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:We can Draft David Thomas under the father son rule will we ?
i don't believe his father did not played 100 games for us.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

n1ck wrote:Where can i find this so called, 'book' ???

Oh, and Otiman, when Gardiner was at his peak, he was the complete package. Unstoppable.
I got my copy at Angus & Robertson.

Another point that I forgot to mention was that we apparently went after Chance Bateman during trade week last year. Hawthorn had Sam Fisher on their wishlist & were politely told no.

Saints94
SS Life Member

What draft picks do we have?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

homework wrote:What draft picks do we have?
13, 31, 47, 63, 79, 95

Hopefully a top ten pick too!

Saints94
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:
homework wrote:What draft picks do we have?
13, 31, 47, 63, 79, 95

Hopefully a top ten pick too!
Thanks buddy :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Seems like any new young player who is not an immediate superstar, is labelled a dud by many on this forum...can we get real please.