Sports Tonight - Are we interested in O'Keefe?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Apu wrote:ROK may be 28 years old (next year) but he is a quality player, and the type of player that we desperately need if we think we are going to have a crack at a premiership in the next 3 years.

We have got tall marking forwards in Roo and Kosi, smaller guys like Schnieder and Milne. What we have been missing since Aaron Hamill left is a medium sized half forward type to get the ball into these guys. We have tried C Gardiner, Gwilt, Ferguson and even Raph at various stages of the year with little success. We should do everything possible to get O'Keefe

Now if you didnt like the above please do not read on as you surely wont like what I have to say next.....

Talk of getting him for a second round pick and Leigh Fisher is ridiculous. O'Keefe is worth a first round draft pick, and unless we pay as much we simply wont get him. He played in the Victorian team last year, made this years All Australian shortlist of 40 players and came second in the swans B&F. Whereas draft picks (especially outside of the top 10) are purely speculative. Those who think a first round pick is too high a price consider what we would expect for Lenny Hayes who is also 28.

The hard decisions need to be made people. Just remember Geelong was widely panned a few years ago for giving up 2 first rounders for Brad Ottens. 2 years later Ottens IMO almost singlehandedly pulled them through the last quarter in a prelim against collingwood. Do Geelong care who Richmond drafted with those picks? Nope they were two busy polishing their premiership cup.
Wow...

Big call, but it does make sense.

I reckon that even top 10 picks are also a gamble... al be it a smaller one. Bettham comes to mind, and I'm sure there were many others.

Also, most are calling to "stock up" coz of GC17.

To be honest, you can only play a certain number of young players at one time.

The trick to getting ROK will probably be to trade a name player for a first rounder and then on trade the pick for him.

That way, you get the best of both worlds.
Agree, would they swap ROK for Dal plus their first rounder and we give them our third rounder?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
Apu wrote:ROK may be 28 years old (next year) but he is a quality player, and the type of player that we desperately need if we think we are going to have a crack at a premiership in the next 3 years.

We have got tall marking forwards in Roo and Kosi, smaller guys like Schnieder and Milne. What we have been missing since Aaron Hamill left is a medium sized half forward type to get the ball into these guys. We have tried C Gardiner, Gwilt, Ferguson and even Raph at various stages of the year with little success. We should do everything possible to get O'Keefe

Now if you didnt like the above please do not read on as you surely wont like what I have to say next.....

Talk of getting him for a second round pick and Leigh Fisher is ridiculous. O'Keefe is worth a first round draft pick, and unless we pay as much we simply wont get him. He played in the Victorian team last year, made this years All Australian shortlist of 40 players and came second in the swans B&F. Whereas draft picks (especially outside of the top 10) are purely speculative. Those who think a first round pick is too high a price consider what we would expect for Lenny Hayes who is also 28.

The hard decisions need to be made people. Just remember Geelong was widely panned a few years ago for giving up 2 first rounders for Brad Ottens. 2 years later Ottens IMO almost singlehandedly pulled them through the last quarter in a prelim against collingwood. Do Geelong care who Richmond drafted with those picks? Nope they were two busy polishing their premiership cup.
Wow...

Big call, but it does make sense.

I reckon that even top 10 picks are also a gamble... al be it a smaller one. Bettham comes to mind, and I'm sure there were many others.

Also, most are calling to "stock up" coz of GC17.

To be honest, you can only play a certain number of young players at one time.

The trick to getting ROK will probably be to trade a name player for a first rounder and then on trade the pick for him.

That way, you get the best of both worlds.
Agree, would they swap ROK for Dal plus their first rounder and we give them our third rounder?
I really don't think that would happen but if it did we would be the definite winners there....

I think Sydney should go for Kosi, they have a good record with power forwards from us :lol:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
sax
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:Ok, I'm feeling a bit adveturous tonite. (places head on the chopping block).

Give em Kosi for O'keefe and a 2nd rounder.

There, I said it.

Run for cover................................................................
Run and farking duck ...

You want to give up our potential first ruck and resting forward for a 28 year old PLUS a second rounder???

yeah farkin run and duck IMO :x
What makes You such a Farking expert?
You know F*** all!
We should try to get O'keefe, He's what we're missing,
And we should try to get Cousins, he'll cost aPSD pick.
TOTALLY DIFFERENT to the Roos!
Just coz you have over 7 thousand posts doesn't make you an expert! :x :x

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

We seem to be putting up our hand for other people's players more often than Collingwood.

How many have been thrown up in recent days? ROK, LRT was mentioned. Cuz, Kerr. Barry Hall. Embley. Someone threw the idea of Tyson Goldsack up there at one point.

In fact the only thing we seem to be doing with more energy is tossing up who of our own we are happy to part with. Kosi, Dal, Joey, Leigh Fisher, McQualter, C Gardiner . They all seem to be leading the race out the door at this point.

Why is the idea of consolidation and improvement of existing resources such a terrible one? Does an improving team (10th to 4th) really need to conduct a de facto fire sale?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:Ok, I'm feeling a bit adveturous tonite. (places head on the chopping block).

There, I said it.

Run and farking duck ...

You want to give up our potential first ruck and resting forward for a 28 year old PLUS a second rounder???

Mate, the only "potential" that I'd ever invest in is real estate where I am 100% certain of the outcome.

Anything other "potential" that involves human input is a major risk IMO.

I'm sick of hearing "potential" and "upside"... both intangible and 100% subjective.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
older saint
SS Life Member

Would Sydney look at 2nd rounder plus Jarred Allen for ROK? I cannot see where Allen fits with us if Kosi is FF / Ruck and McEvoy long term appears to be able to do a similar role.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I am sick of trading players. Lets see if we can get Hawthorn for first rounder and as a sweetner we will throw in Ferg, Fish and G. If they will not come at that we may be able to get the Dogs for a second rounder and they can keep Minson.

Thoughts?

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I am sick of trading players. Lets see if we can get Hawthorn for first rounder and as a sweetner we will throw in Ferg, Fish and G. If they will not come at that we may be able to get the Dogs for a second rounder and they can keep Minson.

Thoughts?
Belvedere Park and a 2nd rounder for Lexus Centre.

Thoughts?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I am sick of trading players. Lets see if we can get Hawthorn for first rounder and as a sweetner we will throw in Ferg, Fish and G. If they will not come at that we may be able to get the Dogs for a second rounder and they can keep Minson.

Thoughts?
How about Joffa from the Pies and Irene Chatfield from the Doggies for Plugger66 and we will throw in Fiora and Rix as the steak knives :lol:

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

There, I said it.

Run and farking duck ...

You know F*** all!
Sax...

I have never stated that I am an expert, I just game my opinion...

Your comment of
You know F*** all!

Shows me just what a STUPID tool you are...

Now why don't you F*** off if you don't like a posters opinion :idea: :roll:

This is what a forum is for, to give an opinion...

Again, if you don't like it F*** OFF!

If you think trading Kosi plus our second round draft pick for O'Keefe is a good move, that's fine by me, I just don't see it as a good get for us.

IMO (get that!) .....

IMO that deal weighs heavily towards Sydney's favour, and not ours
Last edited by St Fidelius on Tue 30 Sep 2008 6:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Nah we're not interested

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i refuse to contribute to inane stupid threads.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i refuse to contribute to inane stupid threads.....
so you give this the stamp of approval? :shock:

markp
Saintsational Legend

ROK rox, so duz Cuz (though I'd prefer Kerr).

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I'm very much of the school of thought that you would only consider taking players aged 28 or older if they basically are guns (or close to) but are good value for some reason (King falls into this category for mine, as would Cousins through the PSD if still available at our turn, as did Gardi: although he was quite a gamble).

Otherwise, I am only in favour of taking recycled players who could conceivably manage 100 games for us: Hamill, Gehrig, Brooks, Guerra, Ackland, Powell, Gram, Penny, Fiora, McGough (who was only 22 I think, WJ42), Birss, Schneider and Dempster all fall into this category IMO, although not all of them will end up cracking the ton for us. On this basis I wouldn't have taken M Clarke - we would have done better to retain TS40 - nor C Gardiner (who never looked likely to play 100 games - although I hope he proves me wrong - but I assume we had to take over his contract in order to get King).

What about O'Keeffe? Some on here seem to see him as a sort of Hamill-type, which is nonsense. He can mark the ball well, and is a good kick for goal (probably slightly better than Hamill, in fact), but his greatest attribute is breaking/closing speed over 10-30 metres which enables him to elude markers and find space around 50 metres out from goal. I suppose we can expect every year that goes by from now to take a little bit of the edge off his pace: which is presumably why the Swans don't want to pay him as much as he expects.

So is he a gun? He certainly has been one - particularly in 2005-06, but this status is perhaps dropping away from him along with his pace. Also, as I mentioned on another thread, I have this sense that he plays his best football on wider grounds like the SCG and the MCG and not so well at the Dome.

I therefore don't think he is going to be a gun for whichever club he moves to (after all, if he was, then you'd think the Swans would try harder to hang onto him). And the fact that his pace is critical to his effectiveness means that he might not have another 100 games of AFL left in him. So, I would say no.

BTW, whichever poster got all pissy about someone saying that Schneider was cut from the Swans list: clubs (particularly those with salary cap concessions) don't typically trade players they want to keep to another club for pick 26 and throw in another pretty good player as well. So I reckon he was more or less cut.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

O'Keefe is testing the market to see who will offer him a four-year deal, which I don't blame him for.

I'd love to get him but they'll want a first-round pick. For a 28-year old? Nah.

Maybe our first and third for O'Keefe and their second?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

realdeal
Club Player

meher baba wrote: BTW, whichever poster got all pissy about someone saying that Schneider was cut from the Swans list: clubs (particularly those with salary cap concessions) don't typically trade players they want to keep to another club for pick 26 and throw in another pretty good player as well. So I reckon he was more or less cut.
there was no getting pissy about it, was just stating a fact. he wasn't delisted and unless you know some insider info you can't deny that.

schneider is a pretty decent player and we did give them pick 26 as compensation. If he was gonna get cut we should just got him in the pre season then. swans would now way have just cut him for no return surely? they just wanted to get younger and they had some tradeable players we wanted..

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:If he was gonna get cut
I can confirm this was never going to happen.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
sax wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

There, I said it.

Run and farking duck ...

You know F*** all!
Sax...

Your comment of
You know F*** all!

If you think trading Kosi plus our second round draft pick for O'Keefe is a good move, that's fine by me, I just don't see it as a good get for us.

IMO (get that!) .....

Relax St Fid.

Also, I think WJ42 was saying Kosi, for O'Keefe and the Swans 2nd rounder.

Not Kosi and our 2nd rounder for ROK.

sax
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
sax wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

There, I said it.

Run and farking duck ...

You know F*** all!
Sax...

Your comment of
You know F*** all!

IMO (get that!) .....

Who are you calling STUPID F*** wit! I NEVER said traid Kosi. So YOU F*** off back into your box. DUMB F**KING C**T!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Stop hiding behind your User name.
I don't post very often because I ONLY post when I have a STRONG OPINION, NOT just for the F*** of it!
You've obviously posted so many times because you ave an extremely HIGH opinion of yourself as a FOOTY EXPERT! You've probably never played a game in your life but seem to know alot about it!!!
If you want to talk about this further send me a PM I'd be happy to release personal details and talk to you over the phone or in person.
I actually said L. Fisher and a #rd rounder for O'Keefe!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
sax wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

There, I said it.

Run and farking duck ...

You know F*** all!
Sax...

Your comment of
You know F*** all!

IMO (get that!) .....

Who are you calling STUPID F*** wit! I NEVER said traid Kosi. So YOU F*** off back into your box. DUMB F**KING C**T!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Stop hiding behind your User name.
I don't post very often because I ONLY post when I have a STRONG OPINION, NOT just for the F*** of it!
You've obviously posted so many times because you ave an extremely HIGH opinion of yourself as a FOOTY EXPERT! You've probably never played a game in your life but seem to know alot about it!!!
If you want to talk about this further send me a PM I'd be happy to release personal details and talk to you over the phone or in person.
I actually said L. Fisher and a #rd rounder for O'Keefe!
I don't give a flying F*** what you said, the OP suggested the trade for Kosi and a second rounder and you response to me was abusive...
You know F*** all!
This was in response to the OP's original post for Kosi and a second round pick for O'Keefe...

Now you say that I am abusive :?:

To suggest that I having a high post count means that I obviously have a high opinion of myself is nothing but immature at lest, or maybe bordering on just be a total F*** WIT

To suggest that I have not played the game because I made a comment that IMO (DO YOU FARKIN GET THAT) IN MY OPINION the trade of Kosi plus a second round draft pick to me (AND THAT IS MY OPINION) is totally stacked in Sydney's favour.

I wouldn't PM you if you paid me, let alone speak to you via a telephone.

GROW UP D1CK WAD and release that this is a public forum and where opinions are posted...

You got abusive to me and I just return serve...

F*** WIT

PS this is abusive
DUMB F**KING C**T!!
AGAIN GROW UP!

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

dont let the poster get to you St.Fid - obviously talks a good game on the internet with all those swear words in caps. :wink:

Dont let him suck you in. He/she/it is just a goose.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Shouldn't the moderator's be getting involved now, this poster is going against all the forum rules....and seems to be just out to cause trouble?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Shouldn't the moderator's be getting involved now, this poster is going against all the forum rules....and seems to be just out to cause trouble?
You would think so. Swearing, shouting, making vieled threats.

Mabye the mods are awaiting advice from the club before acting :wink: :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
realdeal
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Shouldn't the moderator's be getting involved now, this poster is going against all the forum rules....and seems to be just out to cause trouble?
You would think so. Swearing, shouting, making vieled threats.

Mabye the mods are awaiting advice from the club before acting :wink: :D :D
both seem to be over stepping the mark now.

it was suggested kosi for o'keefe AND a draft pick wasn't it. not the other way round and us giving a draft pick. gotta read posts more carefully.

the last time i saw arguing like this was the prelim against hawks when fights nearly broke out, had a full bottle of water come flying and hit my leg when i went down the aisle to support a fellow saint, haha. but fighting amongst ourselves is something different.