Team structure 2009

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jaz
Club Player

Team structure 2009

From next year on I think we should make a few major moves, they being: Koszi to CHB, bring McEvoy to full forward, Kosci played his best season of footy in the backline and his goal kicking is poor. This will also allow us to have a capable ruckman in each third of the ground and with the extra boundary umpires the benefit of this can not be underestimated.

Maguire will have to be an out an out full back, with his injuries he doesnt have that explosive run that he used too. I think he should take the biggest forward next year (with hudgton as plan B) to groom his for the year after when Max retires (If he does).

I like having BJ up forward, he has a great lead and his our best kick, and ever since Jason Heatley left we have been woeful in front of goals. I dont think he needs to play up forward all game but start him on a forward flank and let him roam all over the ground.

So with King as ruck, when he needs a rest we bring mcEvoy out to ruck and BJ to full forward. There may still be room in the team for Blake, to start on the bench and be a true utility, can go back if we need and into the ruck, to give McEvoy a rest.

Remember that next year we should hopefully have attard and baker back, who should take gwilt and mayby mcQualters spots in the team.

Armatige should replace harvey and geary, eddy and steven should be battling each other for 1 spot in the team.

Some other notes:
- Gwilt should NEVER play forward again.
- I have banked on maguire, attard and baker playing next year but who knows if they all/ any will be fit

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Re: Team structure 2009

Jaz wrote:ever since Jason Heatley left we have been woeful in front of goals.
Hmmm... you have a short memory Jaz... Are you saying recently retired coleman medallist and century goalkicker Fraser Gehrig was woeful in front of goal???

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
Jaz wrote:ever since Jason Heatley left we have been woeful in front of goals.
Hmmm... you have a short memory Jaz... Are you saying recently retired coleman medallist and century goalkicker Fraser Gehrig was woeful in front of goal???
In regards to Gehrig:

Unorthodox, maybe.
Woeful? Definitely NOT.

The Saints are coming!
Batnoe

Gwilt not in forward line?

To be honest, this is the only place he should play, he is worse in the back

if there is no room for him in forward line, there is no room for him at Stkilda

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jaz wrote:From next year on I think we should make a few major moves, they being: Koszi to CHB, bring McEvoy to full forward, Kosci played his best season of footy in the backline and his goal kicking is poor. This will also allow us to have a capable ruckman in each third of the ground and with the extra boundary umpires the benefit of this can not be underestimated.

Maguire will have to be an out an out full back, with his injuries he doesnt have that explosive run that he used too. I think he should take the biggest forward next year (with hudgton as plan B) to groom his for the year after when Max retires (If he does).

I like having BJ up forward, he has a great lead and his our best kick, and ever since Jason Heatley left we have been woeful in front of goals. I dont think he needs to play up forward all game but start him on a forward flank and let him roam all over the ground.

So with King as ruck, when he needs a rest we bring mcEvoy out to ruck and BJ to full forward. There may still be room in the team for Blake, to start on the bench and be a true utility, can go back if we need and into the ruck, to give McEvoy a rest.

Remember that next year we should hopefully have attard and baker back, who should take gwilt and mayby mcQualters spots in the team.

Armatige should replace harvey and geary, eddy and steven should be battling each other for 1 spot in the team.

Some other notes:
- Gwilt should NEVER play forward again.
- I have banked on maguire, attard and baker playing next year but who knows if they all/ any will be fit
I am not sure you have got many players in the right positions. Firstly if Goose has lost pace the last place he would be is FB and Max is in the top 2-3 in the AFL anyway. Kosi isnt going to play CHB. We had mulitple chances to play him there but neither the last 2 coaches have done it in the last 4 years. BJ has the potential to be one of our best 2 midfielders so he probably isnt going to go forward either. Lastly McEvoy is a ruckman who may be better pinch hitting forward than King but there is no way he could make it full time as a forward.

Jaz
Club Player

Well here are his stats, apart from one great year in 2004, its not that impressive. And im talking about the forward line as a whole, There have been many examples over the last couple of years where our bad kicking has keep opponents in the game / cost us the game. Geelong round 5ish for example we should have been 3-5 goals up at quarter time but instead it was about even. Similar with a bulldogs game etc..

G B %
2008 9 3 75%
2007 59 35 58%
2006 71 37 66%
2005 78 49 61%
2004 103 39 73%
2003 55 34 62%
2002 12 9 57%
2001 3 5 38%

For someone that has most of there shots from inside 50 that isnt a great return! Plus that doesnt include shots on goal that missed all together!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jaz wrote:Well here are his stats, apart from one great year in 2004, its not that impressive. And im talking about the forward line as a whole, There have been many examples over the last couple of years where our bad kicking has keep opponents in the game / cost us the game. Geelong round 5ish for example we should have been 3-5 goals up at quarter time but instead it was about even. Similar with a bulldogs game etc..

G B %
2008 9 3 75%
2007 59 35 58%
2006 71 37 66%
2005 78 49 61%
2004 103 39 73%
2003 55 34 62%
2002 12 9 57%
2001 3 5 38%

For someone that has most of there shots from inside 50 that isnt a great return! Plus that doesnt include shots on goal that missed all together!
I think you will find his average is pretty good compared to most FF over the years.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Dont forget he was a handy fullback for us before he settled in at full forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:Gwilt not in forward line? To be honest, this is the only place he should play, he is worse in the back. if there is no room for him in forward line, there is no room for him at St kilda
if he's not good enough for our backline, why should he be considered worthy of a spot in the forward line?

the forward line's the place for talented players who can hurt the opposition on the scoreboard. we should take a lesson from hawthorn on this. their forwards are all capable goal-kickers.

we seem to take the opposite policy. guys who aren't considered good enough in defence or on the ball (such as c. gardiner and maybe gwilt and possibly allen) are shunted forward.

is it any wonder we suck offensively?

fwiw, i don't mind gwilt as a player. maybe hbf. maybe wing. but i'd like to see some goal-kicking talented allocated to the forward line.