the spine

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:hope Allen comes on.
is that all you've got? how many goals did he kick for casey this season just out of interest?
23. I beleive. It is about the midfield then the forwards will deliver more.
not enough goals, but perhaps he'll improve.

i'd be more interested in getting a good settled goal-to-goal line up first. set a solid structure in place and then worry about the midfield.

i'd be interested in adding raph clarke to the midfield rotation as i think he could be a very capable replacement for bj.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
is that all you've got? how many goals did he kick for casey this season just out of interest?

i'd be more interested in getting a good settled goal-to-goal line up first and then worry about the midfield. set a solid structure in place.

i'd be interested in adding raph clarke to the midfield rotation as i think he could be a very capable replacement for bj.
Just a question. do you think Mooney and Johnson would kick as many goals at the saints as they do at Geelong?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Johnston maybe but not mooney

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Just a question. do you think Mooney and Johnson would kick as many goals at the saints as they do at Geelong?
probably not, but i wouldn't necessarily look at geelong for all the answers.

hawthorn is also a very good team and they have top players at both chf and ff. we don't. we have riewoldt and little else.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 22 Sep 2008 10:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Just a question. do you think Mooney and Johnson would kick as many goals at the saints as they do at Geelong?
probably not, but i wouldn't necessarily look at geelong for all the answers.

hawthorn is also a very good team and they have very good players at both chf and ff.
Did you see their midfield on saturday night. That is where it was won.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Did you see their midfield on saturday night. That is where it was won.
what about the game on friday night?

the bulldogs dominated the midfield for much of the second half, but could not put a score on the board. they had no forwards.

that's why i do not go for blanket statements like "games are won and lost in the midfield".

of course the midfield is important. very important. but let's not forget to kick a winning score.

point is we will never beat hawthorn or geelong by trying to restrict them to losing scores. to beat them you have to outscore them and i can't see us doing it with riewoldt and milne and little else.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Did you see their midfield on saturday night. That is where it was won.
what about the game on friday night?

the bulldogs dominated the midfield for much of the second half, but could not put a score on the board. they had no forwards.

that's why i do not go for blanket statements like "games are won and lost in the midfield".

of course the midfield is important. very important. but let's not forget to kick a winning score.

point is we will never beat hawthorn or geelong by trying to restrict them to losing scores. to beat them you have to outscore them and i can't see us doing it with riewoldt and milne and little else.
Thought Bartel and Ablett were pretty good on Friday. Having said that the forwards from both teams didnt have any real baring on the result. Matter of fact BOG was the Dogs FB.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

the bulldogs kicked eight behinds in a row at one stage in the third quarter, if they'd had even one key forward who could take a mark and kick a goal they'd have won or gone very close.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:
You don't need a great fullforward to win a premiership. You do need a great midfield.
well you don't necessarily need two gun key forwards to win a premiership but it sure as hell helps :wink:

we need another top key forward ... maybe goddard ... to help out riewoldt if we are to threaten hawthorn, the benchmark team in the competition.

the cats today could not kick a goal to save themselves.

they had plenty of it down there, but couldn't put a score on the board.

the lack of targets in which they had confidence made them slow and hesitant going forward, unlike the barnstorming hawks.

can't see us outscoring teams like hawthorn with our current defensive mindset and set up. to beat them you will have to outscore them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Red wrote:
You don't need a great fullforward to win a premiership. You do need a great midfield.
well you don't necessarily need two gun key forwards to win a premiership

but it sure as hell helps :wink:

we need another top key forward ... maybe goddard ... to help out riewoldt if we are to threaten hawthorn, the benchmark team in the competition.

the cats today could not kick a goal to save themselves. they had plenty of it down there, but couldn't put a score on the board.

the lack of targets in which they had confidence made them slow and hesitant going forward, unlike the barnstorming hawks.
Surely watching today proves forwards are not as important as they once were.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Red wrote:

the cats today could not kick a goal to save themselves. they had plenty of it down there, but couldn't put a score on the board.

gimme a break.

hawthorn, the best team in the competition ... the benchmark team and reigning premiers ... have two gun key forwards who kicked 200 goals between them for the season.

we have one and he kicked 60 something.

we are seriously outgunned unless we commit zome resources to the forward line.

their lesser lights were among the goals today, but that's because of the paranoia about covering franklin and roughhead.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 28 Sep 2008 2:36am, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Red wrote:

gimme a break.

the best team in the competition; the benchmark team and reigning premiers had two key forwards who kicked 200 goals between them.

The game not what happened through the year otherwise we would only talk aout Geelond and their leading goalkicker was?
we have one and he kicked 60 something.

Legendary
Club Player

1994 - West Coast - Sumich
1995 - Carlton - Kernahan
1996 - North Melbourne - Carey, Longmire
1997/98 - Adelaide - Jarman
1999 - North Melbourne - Carey
2000 - Essendon - Lloyd
2001/02/03 - Brisbane Lions - Lynch, Brown
2004 - Port Adelaide - Tredrea
2005 - Sydney - Hall
2006 - West Coast - Lynch*
2007 - Geelong - Mooney*
2008 - Hawthorn - Franklin, Roughead

Only twice in the last 15 years have teams won a premiership without what I would call a "gun" or "star" forward.

They were the Eagles in '06 and Geelong in '07. I don't rate Mooney or Lynch as decent footballers. However, in both years, Mooney and Lynch kicked 60+ goals.

So every premiership team for the last 15 years has had a "key forward" who has kicked 60+ goals during that year.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The game not what happened through the year otherwise we would only talk aout Geelond and their leading goalkicker was?
you mean the second best team in it?

the team that had a heap of the ball in its forward line today, but just couldn't put a score on the board because it lacked strong key forwards?

i'll say it again. our forward line will have to function a lot better and we'll have to kick a lot more goals to challenge hawthorn next season.

we need another very good key forward to compliment riewoldt.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

As RL said we need to add talent and systems to ALL facets of our game. Another key forward, and more quality and speed in the midfield are definite requirements. The trade/drafting period will be very interesting indeed.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Should try hard to get O'Keefe to the club, he is lready 28 so he wont cost that much imo, plus we saw how cheap ross god Dempster and Sneider for, just because of his conections wth sydney..imagine this:

DAL ROO O'KEEFE
MILNE GODDARD SNEIDER

or if you arnt keen on Goddard moving away from the midfeild throw Kosi at FF, Either way that forward line looks alot better with O'Keefe in it imo, he is a real class player..

The back 6 is settled without injury, and say we get cousins to the club our midfield would look very good too...especially if we pick up a young gun from the draft with our first pick, or if armitage comes along.

What im saying is GET RYAN O'KEEFE

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

i'd be more interested in getting a good settled goal-to-goal line up first and then worry about the midfield. set a solid structure in place.

Just a question. do you think Mooney and Johnson would kick as many goals at the saints as they do at Geelong?
neither would kick anywhere near the amounts they do

johnson would command much more attention that what he usually does as geelong's forward line is super and chapman also gets a decent tag usually

mooney is very over-rated...much like lynch in west coast's premiership year...so he kicked 60 but so could any drafted tall...even barry brooks....

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
sainter#4
Club Player

we don't need another quality forward imo!!
our midfield is the worry we need more ball winners who are damaging and can score goals!!!
geelong an hawthorn have them everywhere especially geelong there midfield is so damaging that's why guys like johnson an chapman etc kick alot of goals!!
if we can add anywhere between 4-8 good midfielders to the side that can give us some grunt and speed aswell as kick goals we will be up there with the hawks and pussies, and guys like kosi and dal will find it easier with dal become more damaging with a lesser tag on him and kosi would get better delivery an quicker ball movement leading to better preformances!!

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

BJ will be our best midfielder next year who gives a rats if he''d be an alright forward (which he does lack extreme acceleration) which FF's need... He's going to be our main midfielder people must dea lwith that...

saintly
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
is that all you've got? how many goals did he kick for casey this season just out of interest? would he get a game in our backline?
great.

yes lets hope

hope that goose gets better, hope baker gets better, hope allen comes through, hope x clarke stops getting injured.
hope kosi begins to play well

yes, lets just hope!!!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

allen might be okay, but just 23 goals for casey this season suggests that he's not there yet.

i. too, hope he is the answer, but if he's not we'll need to think quickly and not too rigidly about who can play full forward.

i see a strong correlation between the hawks winning the premiership and their having two absolute guns - who kicked about 190 goals between them - in their key forward positions.

imo it lifts the midfield and encourages direct and quick movement of the ball into the forward line like we had a few years ago when gehrig was at his peak.

while neither buddy nor roughhead had a day out in the grand final, the paranoia about covering both of them allowed lesser lights to step up.