Why have we never been successful

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jackal
Club Player

I would say that the comments about individuals vs the team is accurate if it is actually the culture internally but irrelivent if external.

If the media builds up or shoots down individuals it is their prerogative but I can't imagine that Ross Lyon would allow a hero worshiping culture to develop amongst the players.

On 2nd thoughts maybe he felt that this was occuring and part of the reason why he made the symbolic act of dumping Dal and Milne mid season. You need leaders to step up in big games but you also need players to make things happen and not wait for the leaders to take charge. This has definately been an issue in the past at the Saints and needs to be sorted. It also justifies keeping Dal or Kosi on the list as even if they are struggling others need to be able to take the slack.

JeffDunne

plugger66 wrote:What is my one reason for being unsuccessful.Just one will do. An exact quote.
I really wonder why I bother with you plugger.

I posted my opinion and your reply was :
plugger66 wrote:That sort of response is the reason we fail.
Happy now moron?
I laugh at you how you take a post personally but as this is the only time anyone bothers to converse with you I should understand more I suppose.
I take personally morons that trash my club based on simplistic clap-trap I'd expect from Patrick Smith.

For a contrary wanker like yourself I'm guessing Pat's a pinup boy so I shouldn't be surprised.
Last edited by JeffDunne on Thu 25 Sep 2008 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:We are not successful because we like to trade of early picks for older players and then when we do have a decent young kid EG: ARMO , its lets trade him.

That thread about possible trade deals for armo is dead set sickening.
I wish it was that simple but trading has only been in 20 years.
I know its not that simple, I was saying it more to the point because of the armo trading thread, I know that not the main cause why we are not successful.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Plugger in your simplistic and arrogant way you have dismissed the St.Kilda football clubs history as a total failure and waste of space.

Tell that to the 1966 team....Daryl Baldock,Cowboy Neale,Ross Smith,Carl Dirtterich,Trevor Barker. Danny Frawley Nathan Burke,Nicky Winmar,Stewie Lowe...imposters all of them...thought that their sacrifice and blood,sweat and tears meant something...obviously seriously deluded losers of the first degree.

With an ounce of luck and for one Bob Keddie could we have won the 71 granfinal ....yes.

Without the injury to JoelSmith and Spider Everitt would we have won in 97...almost certainly.

Without what was universally regarded as a crippling run of injury betwwen 04 and 06 would Gran Thomas delivered the holy grail..

Again a very probable yes.

Buit this is just making excuses isn't it oh wise one :roll:

...better just to slag off at the club you apparently support and say we have a losing culture and the admin stuffed us over ans over... :roll:

What the F#$K has the history of this club got to do with the effort of Ross Lyon and the boys this year reaching the preliminary final....in the scheme of things with our list it is about where we currently sit and it is a step forward.

Socalled supporters like you make me sick... :x

You miss the poiint completely :evil:

it's about the struggle andf the honour in plowing on when things get tough...

Something T.Barker knew something about.....

Piss off and go and barrack for Collingwwod, Essendon or Carlton if the number of premierships are directly proportional to your teams total worth...

And spare us your shallow wisdom.... :x

The rest of us will just go on supporting the saints because we blleed for the St.Kilda Football Club come hell or high water

Strength through loyalty .....

When the day comes...and it will...don't have the hide to share in the joy.... :x

I have bookmarked this thread to ensure you don't.

If it's too hard ....don't leave the door open on the way out ....loser :roll:
Last edited by saint patrick on Thu 25 Sep 2008 9:36pm, edited 2 times in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
JeffDunne

Thank you saint patrick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:What is my one reason for being unsuccessful.Just one will do. An exact quote.
I really wonder why I bother with you plugger.

I posted my opinion and your reply was :
plugger66 wrote:That sort of response is the reason we fail.
Happy now moron?
I laugh at you how you take a post personally but as this is the only time anyone bothers to converse with you I should understand more I suppose.
I take personally morons that trash my club based on simplistic clap-trap I'd expect from Patrick Smith.

For a contrary wanker like yourself I'm guessing Pat's a pinup boy so I shouldn't be surprised.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Really good answer. Not. Why dont you pick another part of of a quote to really show everyone on here you are struggling for a proper response.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 25 Sep 2008 9:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:Plugger in your simplistic and arrogant way you have dismissed the St.Kilda football clubs history as a total failure and waste of space.

Tell that to the 1966 team....Daryl Baldock,Cowboy Neale,Ross Smith,Carl Dirtterich,Trevor Barker. Danny Frawley Nathan Burke,Nicky Winmar,Stewie Lowe...imposters all of them...thought that their sacrifice and blood,sweat and tears meant something...obviously seriously deluded losers of the first degree.

With an ounce of luck and for one Bob Keddie could we have won the 71 granfinal ....yes.

Without the injury to JoelSmith and Spider Everitt would we have won in 97...almost certainly.

Without what was universally regarded as a crippling run of injury betwwen 04 and 06 would Gran Thomas delivered the holy grail..

...better just to slag off at the club you apparently support and say we have a losing culture and the admin stuffed us over ans over... :roll:

What the F#$K has the history of this club got to do with the effort of Ross Lyon and the boys this year reaching the preliminary final....in the scheme of things with our list it is about where we currently sit and it is a step forward.

Piss off and go and barrack for Collingwwod, Essendon or Carlton if the number of premierships are directly proportional to your teams total worth...

The rest of us will just go on supporting the saints because we blleed for the St.Kilda Football Club come hell or high water

When the day comes...and it will...don't have the hide to share in the joy.... :x

see, excuses...if we did this...if luck went our way...

if only...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
linz
Club Player

"Love is in the air ........"

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:Plugger in your simplistic and arrogant way you have dismissed the St.Kilda football clubs history as a total failure and waste of space.

Tell that to the 1900 team....Daryl Baldock,Cowboy Neale,Ross Smith,Carl Dirtterich,Trevor Barker. Danny Frawley Nathan Burke,Nicky Winmar,Stewie Lowe...imposters all of them...thought that their sacrifice and blood,sweat and tears meant something...obviously seriously deluded losers of the first degree.

With an ounce of luck could we have won the 71 granfinal ....yes.

Buit this is just making excuses isn't it oh wise one...better just to slag off at the club you apparently support and say we have a losing culture and the admin stuffed us over ans over... :roll:

What the F#$K has the history of this club got to do with the effort of Ross Lyon and the boys this year reaching the preliminary final....in the shceme of things with our list it is about where we currently sit and it is a step forward.

Socalled supporters like you make me sick...

You miss the poiint it's about the struggle andf the honour in plowing on when things get tough...

If it's too hard ....don't leave the door open on the way out :roll:
Very sensible response. Go barrack for Collingwood. Did you go to school for a week to come back with that. Most people on here have given sensible answers to this thread but because I dont go with the flow and like Dunny you take posts personnaly you comeback with a go and barrack for Collingwood. I am not blaming anyone just looking for reasons so hopefully we can one day win a flag but I suppose what hope do we have with guys like you.

kaos theory
Club Player

Clubs prior to the 90's guaranteed success by ensuring they had people in a position of influence to swing decisions in their favour.

Hawthorn were no different.

In fact I'd say the Hawks period of dominance had as much to do with fortuitous re-zoning than anything else. North had someone with deep pockets that used a fortuitous change in the rules to get them into the premiership hunt. Had the rule been introduced 5 years earlier or 5 years later they wouldn't have had the success they had in the 70's.

There's a multitude of reasons why St Kilda haven't been unsuccessful but I can safely say a 'loser' mentality of the supporters aint on them.

Why on earth would you support the club if you really believed that?
Agreed JD.

There are many reasons for failure, and nothing to do with cliches. Often, its events outside of your control that conspire, and can create the conditions for success or failure.

You are right about the hawks in the 70s/80s. The re-zoning killed us, and they got many quality players, which formed the backbone of their success. Had the zoning been done differently, we could have been more successful in the 70s & 80s....but it probably would have ruined the hawks...they weren't a big club back then. Also, the father and son rule has created champions for the cats, but has produced nothing for us....

Look at the demons: Back in the 50s/early 60s they we a power club, they had the most flags, and the only tenant at the G. They made some wrong decisions (which at the time seem ok), and other factors outside of their control went against them, and now they hopeless & can barely survive.

Yes, we have had a history of poor admins, but I believe that we do finally have a very good and professional administration team. They have a professional approach to all facets of the footy department and other areas. The key is get the best out of what you can control, and be in the best position to take advantage of opportunities when they come your way, and minimize the downside when things go bad.

JeffDunne

plugger66 wrote:Thanks for that. Really dood answe. Not. Why dont you pick another part of of a quote to really show everyone on here you are struggling for a proper response.
Why don't you indulge us with something that resembles english so I can understand WTF you're on about now?

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:

if only...
You have missed the point as you normally do :roll: ...piss off to Carlton with Plugger...the test of character has found you wanting :oops:

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:

if only...
You have missed the point as you normally...piss off to Carlton with Plugger...the test of character has found you wanting :oops:
oh thats really clever...seriously??? piss off to carlton???

no thank you...i love this club...however its saying something of supporters who get so ancy and precious of criticisms...

geez you must be hard to deal with in the workplace

kaos theory
Club Player

I will disagree here patrick...

This is an example of factors we could control, but we had in place very poor injury management processes. Frankly, it was patheitic. Our then management (RB & GT...sorry to bring that up again), did a very poor job. The way we prepare players for games, and deal with recovery from injury is miles ahead of what we did back then. We were sloppy and created many of the probelms we faced.

That is one example of POOR admin & management that probably cost us a GF appearance. We can't say for certain if we would have won a flag.

Baldock Rules
Club Player

Bloody well said Patrick.I am proud to call myself a saint now and forever.

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.
JeffDunne

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:no thank you...i love this club...
lol - no you don't.

You're embarrassed by it.
however its saying something of supporters who get so ancy and precious of criticisms...
Conversely I'd say it says a lot about supporters that regurgitate urban myths as fact.

That is what pisses off true St Kilda people.

asiu

short term thinking

at least we are still here ....gotta be grateful for that

JeffDunne

kaos theory wrote:

This is an example of factors we could control, but we had in place very poor injury management processes. Frankly, it was patheitic. Our then management (RB & GT...sorry to bring that up again), did a very poor job. The way we prepare players for games, and deal with recovery from injury is miles ahead of what we did back then. We were sloppy and created many of the probelms we faced.

That is one example of POOR admin & management that probably cost us a GF appearance. We can't say for certain if we would have won a flag.
In fairness to the previous admin they were forced to live within our means.

Unlike some other franchises . . . sorry clubs . . . we couldn't just spend like there was no tomorrow without fear of consequence.

I agree we could have done better but I wouldn't say we were a poorly run club then.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:

if only...
You have missed the point as you normally...piss off to Carlton with Plugger...the test of character has found you wanting :oops:
oh thats really clever...seriously??? piss off to carlton???

no thank you...i love this club...however its saying something of supporters who get so ancy and precious of criticisms...

geez you must be hard to deal with in the workplace
By deal with if you mean control and bend over for the good of the company at the expense of the invidual then yeh...I'm bloody hard to deal with...

Irish...and a Saint and like the Doc proud of it....

If you love the club stop taking cheap shots at 100 years of a red hot go :roll:

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:no thank you...i love this club...
lol - no you don't.

You're embarrassed by it.
however its saying something of supporters who get so ancy and precious of criticisms...
Conversely I'd say it says a lot about supporters that regurgitate urban myths as fact.

That is what pisses off true St Kilda people.
at times i am embarrassed by it given... i never really knew that it automatically dispels any idea that i love this club

Legendary
Club Player

Bloody well said.

Spot on.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

In fairness to the previous admin they were forced to live within our means.

Unlike some other franchises . . . sorry clubs . . . we couldn't just spend like there was no tomorrow without fear of consequence.

I agree we could have done better but I wouldn't say we were a poorly run club then.
the red hot go isnt good enough though...its still a close enough if good enough attitude...we tried...we nearly made it

still failed

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So lets get this straight. If you look at ways to finally win another flag you are a carlton or Collingwood supporter but if you say it is bad luck we havent been successful you are a real Saint. What a lot of rubbish.

JeffDunne

I find it hard to believe anyone that is passionate about this club would think we're happy with near enough.

Try telling Stan Alves, Grant Thomas and Ken Sheldon. :roll:

Legendary
Club Player

The ANZACS failed too ... does it make us any less proud?

Doing the best with the resources you have, inspiring loyalty amongst tens of thousands of fans, displaying courage and leadership and strength ... those are qualities to be admired in any walk of life.

They are qualities that the St Kilda Football Club embodies, regardless of success or failure.

That's why we're proud to be members.