Goddard Forward, Kosi Back

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Goddard Forward, Kosi Back

Kosi is doing very little as a ruckman/forward. he won the rising star as a defender in 2001, and I reckon a way to rejuvinate his career would be to send him down back.

As for BJ, when he has gone forward he has invariably performed, and as we all know, is a brilliant mark and kick. Would be a better foil than Kosi for Roo. It would also mean that his indecision and slowness (his main weaknesses even though the situation has improved) would be much less of a liability.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

BJ = Midfielder who can go forward and create havoc

Kosi needs a position to call his own !!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Kosi needs a position to call his own !!
Relief ruckman who contributes around the ground, particularly up forward. That's the role that he has always aspired to, that he plays best in, and that Lyon has now established him in.

I have no problem with BJ playing further forward. I think he is wasted at the back and makes his biggest contribution in the thick of the action.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Boot Studder?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard Forward, Kosi Back

dcstkfc wrote:As for BJ, when he has gone forward he has invariably performed, and as we all know, is a brilliant mark and kick.
he's sort of a james hird type isn't he. got a way to go yet, but sort of ...

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I can remember one almighty 60mtr torp booted by BJ in frustration to the scoreline...but I can't recall the game itself or who it was played against. The damned thing when over the posts even at 60 mtrs! BJ would be a serious option for us forward! I love his work! :twisted:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
wasoncestkil58
Club Player

That torp would have been 2006 at Subiaco I think against Freo. Was a monster of a kick.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:I can remember one almighty 60mtr torp booted by BJ in frustration to the scoreline...but I can't recall the game itself or who it was played against. The damned thing when over the posts even at 60 mtrs! BJ would be a serious option for us forward! I love his work! :twisted:
v Freo at Subi 2 or 3 yrs ago !!

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Goddard will be an ELITE midfielder who's gonna kick it to him? Such a waste leaving a talented guy up forward and getting kicks from the likes of Jones, Ball, Lenny who's kicking were very ordinary this year... we must use him golden boot to pass it to the forwards...He can be thw Goal kicking midfielder who can kick over a flood....

Here's the freo goal

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

kosi to be the CHB/ruckman

i think it suits him well.

release fish to HBF and max and maguire at FB and BP.

we would dominate in the air im thinking. goddard at HF wing = goals.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

but kosi is slow as...

30 goals this year pinch hitting in the ruck is a decent return i would have thought...couple of 60+ from roo and milne...

150+ between our forwards...lets not whinge here...and grammy got 20 so one would hope to put him down for 20+ next year...

more mids more goals

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:kosi to be the CHB/ruckman

yes dominate in the air and be treacle by sides with growing smallish fwd lines

“Yeah….nah””
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is too slow to play permanently in the backline nowadays. Wouldn't get beaten in the air too often, but to play on the likes of Fev, Buddy, Roughhead, Pavlich you need to have a bit of speed as well the ability to make those last few strides and punch. And I can't see him playing on the likes of Williams, Medhurst, Rioli. They'd chop him up.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

Kosi is too slow to play permanently in the backline nowadays. Wouldn't get beaten in the air too often, but to play on the likes of Fev, Buddy, Roughhead, Pavlich you need to have a bit of speed as well the ability to make those last few strides and punch. And I can't see him playing on the likes of Williams, Medhurst, Rioli. They'd chop him up.
if we play him down back we are playing for a top 3 pick

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
starsign
Club Player

Been thinking about this for a while now, and I,ve always been a great Kozi fan ...but its beguining to look like he might need a minor miracle very soon to actually survive at the top level, and I for one have exhausted my optimistic/ possative thoughts about him and am becoming increasinly impatient
I'd love to be convinced otherwise though!

Big statement I know but as someone above correctly labelled him as RL's blueprint for a second string ruck who can contribute around the ground...there is little else he has to offer at present IMHO

Even then he's really not a great tap ruck , and seems too slow and lumbering these days to do anything other than take a few saving marks in defence or grab one or two either drifting down forward or playing forward pocket
Maybe I'm being too hard , but think of the yardstick Cats & Hawks , could he contribute effectively in their structures ... I think not!

Another thing that's becoming apparent is the speed of his decision making and overall awareness in this increasingly fast game
The hospital handball that saw Milney turn into the elephant man and Ballys demise just shouldn't have happened when he had all the time in the world to prevent them , particularly the handball and its not too difficult to put a value on Balls abscence

I know good big blokes are hard to come by , but apart from the top-line tap ruckmen the other big lumbering dinasaur types are becoming very quickly extinct in AFL ranks

Hate to even harbour the thought, but unless he can find more speed and agility I really think his days in the AFL are seriously limited
I'd be more than happy to have him remain in the RW&B but something has to change overnight because he has been a passenger for most of his games this year!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Starsign. Interesting analysis of Kosi's shortcomings - which are there for all to see.

But your overall judgement is far too harsh. We must forget all about how Kosi looked when he was recruited (ie, that he was a top draft pick and a Rising Star) and think about the value he gives now: which is a cut above GOP in my opinion If Michael Rix could suddenly start kicking goals and taking marks like Kosi does, we'd be hailing him as a revelation

Just as some mid-range draft picks (eg, Sams Fisher and Mitchell) turn out to be stars, some top draft picks can turn out to be ok AFL players, but no better

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Starsign. Interesting analysis of Kosi's shortcomings - which are there for all to see.

But your overall judgement is far too harsh. We must forget all about how Kosi looked when he was recruited (ie, that he was a top draft pick and a Rising Star) and think about the value he gives now: which is a cut above GOP in my opinion If Michael Rix could suddenly start kicking goals and taking marks like Kosi does, we'd be hailing him as a revelation

Just as some mid-range draft picks (eg, Sams Fisher and Mitchell) turn out to be stars, some top draft picks can turn out to be ok AFL players, but no better
"a cut above GOP". Pffft. Your dreaming Baba. He's barely a GOP. More often than not he fails to be a GOP. He disappears for weeks on end.
He bobs up, takes a mark or two, kicks a goal and wins a contest and people are saying how he's doing his job and don't expect too much.
He's Mr. Inconsistent and struggles to be a GOP IMO.

bozza1980
Club Player

I don't hink Kossie has the mobilty required to hold down centre half back.

I think he will only play tall forward, back up ruck.

Although memories of the 2001 season where he held down Centre Half Back and won the rising star are still strong, he's not that player anymore.

Legendary
Club Player

If we'd drafted Kosi with pick #30 and were paying him 200k per year to be our second ruckman and third tall forward, then we would be on a winner.

He is the one of the better 2nd rucks/forwards in the game - that category of player are almost always inconsistent.

The point is he was a #2 pick and is being paid 400k+ per year.

Our expectations must decrease along with Kosi's pay, and then everyone will see that he has a definite value to the team.

People expect too much. He does as much as a 2nd ruck/3rd forward should do, and that's what he is.

Nothing more unfortunately - stop hoping he will be a star or even a very good player.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:If we'd drafted Kosi with pick #30 and were paying him 200k per year to be our second ruckman and third tall forward, then we would be on a winner.

He is the one of the better 2nd rucks/forwards in the game - that category of player are almost always inconsistent.

The point is he was a #2 pick and is being paid 400k+ per year.

Our expectations must decrease along with Kosi's pay, and then everyone will see that he has a definite value to the team.

People expect too much. He does as much as a 2nd ruck/3rd forward should do, and that's what he is.

Nothing more unfortunately - stop hoping he will be a star or even a very good player.
agree. hes never going to be a star like people hope. hes only going to be an overpaid average player. needs a serious pay-cut.

hes too small to ever be tap ruckmen & has not got the agility to play Key Position.

jackal
Club Player

You know the more I read this article I think to myself, we should get Nick Davis down to the Saints. If he is going to play forward then he needs a foil as I'm sick of watching him in 3 on 1 contests. Davis slots them from 50 out on a 45 degree angle, exactly what we need to get Defenders 2nd guessing themselves.

Mooksy
Club Player

Kosi is WAY too slow to play back.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Mooksy wrote:Kosi is WAY too slow to play back.
I agree plus is brain isn't the best footy brain for a backman. Prefer him to play soley as a forward or a forward who pinch hits at the ruck in times of need.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
saintly_safes
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Boot Studder?
see below
Last edited by saintly_safes on Sat 27 Sep 2008 11:39am, edited 1 time in total.

saintly_safes
Club Player

saintly_safes wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Boot Studder?
wow what a quote ,your'e a word genius" clanga" your wasting your time on this site go to the Collingwood one & you will feel right at home "