Carlton pursuing Maguire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

If we could get a second round pick for Maguire, I would jump at it. No hesitation.

There is a good medical and physical chance Maguire will never make it make to the AFL in any decent form.

Even if he does, this year is the last uncompromised draft for 3-4 years. The more players you draft this year, the better off you will be over the next 5-7 seasons in the AFL ...

We made it to a preliminary final without Maguire, and certainly our defence was the last reason we didn't go one step further.

Trade him.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Red wrote: he is soft.
really gunna win you friends on here posting that :roll:

Before Im 85
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlton pursuing Maguire

philip wrote:I can tell you that my mail has Carlton making "enquiries" about goose at player and managment level.

What I can't tell you is what our club's response has been.

watch this space...

philip
And we know that your source is Caydn Beetham's mum :wink: !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:We made it to a preliminary final without Maguire, and certainly our defence was the last reason we didn't go one step further.
i'm thinking of him at chf, since we lack a second forward to compliment riewoldt.

no doubt carlton have the same thing in mind because, apart from fev, they have little up front.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Goose is a passionate Saint and I would suugest he would sooner retire than go to Carlton, no matter how good the deal was.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Legendary
Club Player

Then that's more reason to trade him.

Maguire has less idea about playing forward than Koschitzke, and that's saying something.

More draft picks this year = better off you will be for the next 4-5 years.

Maguire is very expendable. He's a 190cm running backman. Along with S. Fisher, R. Clarke, S. Dempster, S. Gilbert, B. Goddard etc ..... we hardly have a shortage of those type of footballers.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
saint patrick wrote:Fine.

For Jaryd Waite or Bryce Gibbs and we'll look at it.. :wink:

Need Gosse with Maxy's departure imminant.
Goose can't play FB, too slow and clumsy in contests....
Wasn't suggesting he would...Sam Fisher to Fall back and Goose Centre half Back until Miles developes perhaps.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Red
Club Player

Watch 2005 prelim final and tell me he isn't soft.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:He's a 190cm running backman. Along with S. Fisher, R. Clarke, S. Dempster, S. Gilbert, B. Goddard etc ..... we hardly have a shortage of those type of footballers.
yeah, you'd reckon we'd be able to spare one of the above for the forward line. but that's another topic.

he's stronger in the air than any of those. i'd be very disappointed if we let him go without getting something very good in return.

i know it's a longshot, but i just can't bear the thought of him returning to his best for carlton of all teams.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 24 Sep 2008 4:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red
Club Player

He hasn't played for two years and it could be that he never gets back.

If you can offload him and get something the coaches are looking for it

can't be a bad thing.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
maverick wrote:
saint patrick wrote:Fine.

For Jaryd Waite or Bryce Gibbs and we'll look at it.. :wink:

Need Gosse with Maxy's departure imminant.
Goose can't play FB, too slow and clumsy in contests....
Wasn't suggesting he would...Sam Fisher to Fall back and Goose Centre half Back until Miles developes perhaps.
Fisher would be wasted at FB, his role right now is his best spot....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:Watch 2005 prelim final and tell me he isn't soft.
mate, he copped a whack in the solar plexus from a trained boxer and confirmed thug.

i don't know if you've ever been hit there, but it would have knocked the wind out of anyone.

off the ball and when he wasn't looking, too ... a cowardly sniper act.

still can't believe hall didn't get weeks for that. probably cost us a grand final berth
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 24 Sep 2008 4:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctqs
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:the question is though, will he ever recover from all those leg injuries. and he has basically had two years out of the game. when he came back this year he looked too slow to hold a key defender spot. i would be happy with a 1st or 2nd rounder for goose.
1st rounder? you must be kidding.

my mail (pretty good source) - says he will never be the same again. his injury was very very serious and horrific at times. he may never play again and if he does will be a shadow of his former self.

PS. PLEASE DELETE THIS MESSAGE BEFORE CARLTON READ IT. we should try to get something good for him from those scum bags.
Well my mail is they're very happy with the way it's progressing and when he was checked by a world-leader in the field, he was happy too because the procedure he had was what the expert said he would've done, too. Carlton can get stuffed. You don't trade key defenders with a bit of mongrel, who take contested marks and kick goals.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
bozza1980
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:
Batnoe wrote:I would do it for Murphy
If you're going to be living in dreamland why not throw in Judd? :roll:

Alright, if Carlton offered Murphy and Judd, we'd probably have to consider trading him. LOL.

Only if Carlton are prepared to pay a fair whack of the two contracts though. Don't want to get into Salary Cap trouble!!

Seriously though, if a club chased hard enough we would have to consider what was on offer. This would have to go for almost everyone on our list.

We were better than 12 other clubs but a looooong way behind the 3 clubs better than us, some work needs to be done to the list.

4ever_saint
Club Player

with max possibly retiring and dempster's knee injury sure to keep him out of most of next season- i cant see the logic in trading him to carlton. sure he is riddled with injuries, but, he has one more season left on his contract.

see it out- there would be nothing worse than us pulling off a dud trade (where in which we get a second round draft pick who may never play a senior afl game) because of his injury and then seeing him in career best form at carlton ffs.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm...shades of Dean Rice!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Archie says we are going to have 6 picks.

In that case a first rounder for Kosi and a second rounder for Goose sounds OK to me.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

mad to let Goose go at this stage unless it's for an established player of similar age and quality.
Has to be given a chance to come back from injury and see where he's at.
He might not be able to cut it at senior level, but then again he might. He's big and strong, good overhead and has a bit of mongrel. Potential key plank in our back half for years to come.

milney044
Club Player

I watched a game back in '06, Goose actually captained that game. He was nothing but quality in the backline, strong mark, decent punch and a booming kick to a target. I really hope he can get back to that standard, and in saints colours. If the club knows something more that's going to hold him back, then and only then would i be willing to trade him.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Legendary wrote:We made it to a preliminary final without Maguire, and certainly our defence was the last reason we didn't go one step further.
i'm thinking of him at chf, since we lack a second forward to compliment riewoldt.

no doubt carlton have the same thing in mind because, apart from fev, they have little up front.
IMO if we don't get rid of him now by the end of next season he will be worth nothing

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

IMO if we don't get rid of him now by the end of next season he will be worth nothing
he's worth nothing now if you listen to some on here and carlton obviously believes it can pick him up for a song.

now way imo
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 24 Sep 2008 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

he's worth nothing now if you listen to some on here and carlton obviously believes it can pick him up for a song. now way imo
I believe he has some value at the moment because his reputation is still alive but once he gets out there if he cant now cut the mustard or breaks down again for all clubs to see it's over.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Doubt he will leave stkilda.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:I believe he has some value at the moment because his reputation is still alive but once he gets out there if he cant now cut the mustard or breaks down again for all clubs to see it's over.
fair point.

it's his last chance for an AFL career and we should be the ones to give it to him. we've stuck with him this long because we've seen what he's capable of.

if he is ever to realise that talent fully, we should be the ones to benefit ... not carlton.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

he's worth nothing now if you listen to some on here and carlton obviously believes it can pick him up for a song. now way imo
I believe he has some value at the moment because his reputation is still alive but once he gets out there if he cant now cut the mustard or breaks down again for all clubs to see it's over.
IMO? How can you have an opinion about a future event.

Isnt that just a prediction?