CArls madhouse theory

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jackal
Club Player

CArls madhouse theory

I think we should gamble on some risky short term options knowing that it could blow up in our face.
Seeing as though we will be unable to secure the top talents for the next 3 years (I'm not convinced we will go to 18 teams) we should gamble on some out of contract players.

Ben Cousins is one being touted on this site and I agree, if we can get him then we should do so. Nick Davis is also a good fit for us as is Hall or Thompson. Usually I would hate to go down the Dockers path of recruitment but we have to have a crack now.

I am not suggesting that we trade our early picks (actually I think they must be retained) But trading any of our core group is fraught with danger and we are better off getting 2 or 3 good years from the names mentioned above then sticking with a few of the guys on the fringes who are not up to it.

If it does backfire (which is what the odds would be in a comp of this nature) then we will be back to the drawing board in a sense but hopefully the draft picks are gems and the Roos, Kosi's etc can get that cup in their twilight years?!? Who knows.

Better to have rolled the dice and lost rather then tread water for naught!

jackal
Club Player

And I must say a number of those guys that I mentioned will not require draft picks (at least not first 3 rounds anyway)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

What about spider? Is he old enough though.

jackal
Club Player

Spider is finished clearly. Nick Davis and Ben Cousins are both around 30 and can easily go 2 more seasons at a high level.

The big risk is attitude and whether they would be taking the club for a ride for an easy pay cheque.

I only mentioned the 2 other fowards out of hope but we need to have more options up forward.

I'm hoping that Miles may be able to be the Defender that we lacked in the finals (gilbo maybe better on a wing, got chopped up by Johnson and Williams).

Looking at the stats from Sat night you would also notice the poor output from Armo, McQ and Eddy as well as Fiora and Dal. Would hope the first 3 can improve on that as we will need them to clearly.